Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Marilyn Manson
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marilyn Manson  (Read 160019 times)
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #320 on: June 07, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »

I know this isn't exactly 1998, but there's no way in hell Manson would ever "open" for Slayer. I'm sorry Slayer fans. It's only half to do with popularity, and the other half is prolly Manson's own ego (no dis to Manson, I wouldn't open for Slayer in his position either).

you're probably right. manson is commercialized and more of a "pop" artist.

i just hope things don't get ugly at these shows. there are segments of each fan base that hates the other.

Agreed. I wish they'd thought of their fanbases outside of maybe their personal likes or friendships within the bands. Touring with a band you like or that you're buddies with is fine, but when your fanbases are at that much odds with each other, I really believe this was the worst move either band could have made as far as a tour this summer. Still, I have my tickets now and I'm gearing up for what I really hope won't turn out to be a brutal show. I don't know about other people because I'm sure there's some who would do it anywhere, but Manson's music isn't really something to "mosh" to and I think Slayer fans are gonna turn the floor/pit into something altogether out of hand.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #321 on: June 07, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »

More Manson kudos from Billy Morrison (Camp Freddy, Circus Diablo, The Cult)

"What do I think of Manson as an artist?...... one of the most prolific, important and misunderstood of our time".

http://www.billymorrison.net/weblog

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #322 on: June 07, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »

As an aside, Billy Morrison/The Cult is badass ok
GeraldFord
« Reply #323 on: June 11, 2007, 02:10:07 AM »

I listened to Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and HolyWood for the first time in a while and am impressed to see that these three albums have all aged well, still sounding fresh, edgy and vibrant.

AS-It's sort of like The Downward Spiral II, in some respects. Kinda picks up where that album left off, much more so than the Fragile. I think the Reznor/Twiggy/Manson combo worked really well. Apparently the band was heavily into drugs and sleep deprivation when they recorded it and it certainly sounds it. Funny thing is, even thought the CD is eleven years old, it doesn't sound at all dated. It's just as bizarre and ballsy now as it was in 1996. Listen to Motley's Shout at the Devil, by comparison, even by 1990 that sounded really dated and cheesy.

MA-Loved the direction the band took with this album. Just as heavy as AS, but more "dark-light," if you know what I mean. Love the crisp production and Bowie-esque feel.

HW-The band's most underrated CD, IMHO. I actually like this version of the band the best--with Twiggy and John 5. This is sort of a mix of the last two CDs--gothic and heavy as fuck, but with the crisp sound of MA. I think this CD may actually have the best written songs of any Manson CDs, and the climax in the title track is Manson at his finest.

I think these three CDs are all great, but I think A.S. might be, overall, the best of the three, for Reznor's excellent production and cultural impact.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:12:51 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2007, 08:42:16 AM »

I listened to Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and HolyWood for the first time in a while and am impressed to see that these three albums have all aged well, still sounding fresh, edgy and vibrant.

AS-It's sort of like The Downward Spiral II, in some respects. Kinda picks up where that album left off, much more so than the Fragile. I think the Reznor/Twiggy/Manson combo worked really well. Apparently the band was heavily into drugs and sleep deprivation when they recorded it and it certainly sounds it. Funny thing is, even thought the CD is eleven years old, it doesn't sound at all dated. It's just as bizarre and ballsy now as it was in 1996. Listen to Motley's Shout at the Devil, by comparison, even by 1990 that sounded really dated and cheesy.

MA-Loved the direction the band took with this album. Just as heavy as AS, but more "dark-light," if you know what I mean. Love the crisp production and Bowie-esque feel.

HW-The band's most underrated CD, IMHO. I actually like this version of the band the best--with Twiggy and John 5. This is sort of a mix of the last two CDs--gothic and heavy as fuck, but with the crisp sound of MA. I think this CD may actually have the best written songs of any Manson CDs, and the climax in the title track is Manson at his finest.

I think these three CDs are all great, but I think A.S. might be, overall, the best of the three, for Reznor's excellent production and cultural impact.

minus the opening intro i really do not think shout at the devil sounds dated.

html sucks
GeraldFord
« Reply #325 on: June 11, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »

A.S. sounds like it could have been released yesterday.

SATD has "1983" written all over it. It's not even that groundbreaking either. It's just a mix of Aerosmith and KISS.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #326 on: June 11, 2007, 02:56:50 PM »

A.S. sounds like it could have been released yesterday.

SATD has "1983" written all over it. It's not even that groundbreaking either. It's just a mix of Aerosmith and KISS.

no i do think it was ground breaking. the metal style they formed hadnt really been done as good before. i think some of priests more commercial stuff touched on those riff styled but motley crue got those melodic glam metal riffs good, but i think RATT did the melody better, crue did the aggression better.

html sucks
sandman
Legend

« Reply #327 on: June 11, 2007, 05:49:35 PM »

got tix for the slayer/MM show at the tweeter in jersey - lucked out and got pit tix. looking forward to seeing MM perform live.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #328 on: June 11, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »

I'm with you 100% on all the above Richard, well said.

Combine this with his writing, art etc and general social impact and you've pretty got exactly what Billy Morrison eleuded to: "one of the most prolific, important and misunderstood of our time".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:03:20 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #329 on: June 12, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »

Richard, where does Eat Me, Drink Me fit into your Marilyn Manson report card?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
GeraldFord
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2007, 09:33:15 PM »

Hmm,

AS
HW
MA
EMDM
TGAOG
POAAF

POAAF is the only Manson album that I don't dig all that much, it's just kind of goofy, like a Rob Zombie album.

Eat Me, Drink Me debuted at #9.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #331 on: June 13, 2007, 08:19:44 AM »

Eat Me, Drink Me debuted at #9.

Not bad for a leaked album

html sucks
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #332 on: June 13, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »

Just want to add, that I am digging the shit out of EMDM. My favorite MM album after MA. Yea you heard that right. I used to dig the fuck out of AS. Got me through a lot of shit back then and I respect it. But today, I am not in the frame of mind for it. I am just not that angry anymore. I dont need it. I love HW a lot to but MA has remained the most listenable MM album for me, and this new motherfucker sounds great! I am very pleasantly surprised at how much I dig it.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #333 on: June 13, 2007, 07:09:53 PM »

I absolutely love the new album.

Eventhough the first half is alot stronger than the second half, its a great record.

yeah i agree, i'm not too fond of "if i was your vampire" but the first half overall is excellant. the last half sags a bit but tracks like "evidence" and the title track save it. i ADORE the title track, fucking awesome, everything about it, easily my favorite from the record.

i also totally agree about that comment of Manson being the most misunderstood artist of our time. its a shame really.

my favorite album without a doubt is Mechanical Animals, such a ballsy move image and sound wise, and the songs are excellant. i love his commentary on the dehumanization of our society and the whole story of Alpha and Omega and his band mechanical animals. brilliant stuff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:11:53 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
GeraldFord
« Reply #334 on: June 13, 2007, 07:55:13 PM »

I think some of the strongest songs are on the second half of EMDM. I really like "you and me and the devil make 3." The weird voice thing that keeps getting lower and lower is really cool.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2007, 12:57:22 AM »

Fuck this first half vs last half nonsense. Its all good. This is some inspired work. I love how stripped down this is. Manson is just rocking here. Drums and guitars are sweet and very welcome surprise. Really fucking great work overall. Its clearly some of the best work he has done and that, to me, is saying a lot. Yea this rocks. The more I hear the more I like. Sure as shit makes the wait for Chinese D a little more bearable.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
GeraldFord
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2007, 11:08:23 PM »

Anyone have the Spooky Kids CD? It's some demos from around 93 and it was released in 04. It's pretty cool.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #337 on: June 17, 2007, 03:14:13 PM »

MARILYN MANSON's "Eat Me, Drink Me" sold 88,000 copies in the United States during its first week of release to debut at position No. 8 on The Billboard 200 chart. This is a significant drop from the 118,000 first-week tally registered by its predecessor, "The Golden Age of Grotesque", which landed at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 chart back in May 2003.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=74533
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #338 on: June 17, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »

MARILYN MANSON's "Eat Me, Drink Me" sold 88,000 copies in the United States during its first week of release to debut at position No. 8 on The Billboard 200 chart. This is a significant drop from the 118,000 first-week tally registered by its predecessor, "The Golden Age of Grotesque", which landed at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 chart back in May 2003.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=74533

not really a big surprise, since GAOG suffered a big drop even after debuting at number one, and since the heart shaped glasses video was a little too revealing, i mean i never saw it on TV. he should have been smart and made a bit more viewer friendly so it could actually get circulation on the music channels. and its not he would be sacrificing his integrity since that sex scene was the pointless thing ever.

it just bothers me tho when u get manufactured shit like Avril Lavigne selling like crazy, and a real artist lilke manson who actually makes good, inspired, music not selling very well. it makes me sick. i think the bottom line is Manson is nowhere near the force he once was, and no one really cares about him anymore other than the loyal longtime fans.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
GeraldFord
« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »

Manson was never all THAT huge to begin with. In his prime he (they) would sell maybe a million per album. If EMDM sells 300k, that's less than a third of that, but not that huge of a loss. It's not the type of fall someone like MC Hammer took. Manson still has his fans.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: