Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  SBQM video premiere tonight.. hopefully
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SBQM video premiere tonight.. hopefully  (Read 17720 times)
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2007, 01:53:26 PM »

its a video not an oscar nominated movie for christ sakes Roll Eyes

it has a hot girl, explosions, guns, laughs, a classic slash guitar solo scene....what more could you want in a rock video. geez give it a rest

Everything a good video should have!!!

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »

Quote from: Locomotive98 link=topic=46312.msg941850#msg941850
Most of you guys would worship and proclaim it the best video ever it if it was another band.

I'm sure guys like you would call it lame if it was by that "other" band? Roll Eyes

The video is corny.? Weiland's quote about it said that he didn't want it to come out cheesy and that it's "badass".? So he apparently took it somewhat seriously, I don't think they would care if it was a bit cheesy if it was tongue in cheek.? But it was cheesy.? You can throw it in the so bad it's good category though

Guys like me? Whats that then? Someone who can like more than one band at once? For the record I didnt say 'that other band' I said 'another band' meaning any other band not the one you are thinking of.

Oh well, if its so bad its good at least you admit its good!!

So you are implying that people would worship this video and proclaim it the greatest ever if Linkin Park or Good Charlotte made it?? Or was there another band you had in mind?

The video is funny because it's so cheesy, but acccording to at least one bandmember they didn't want it to be cheesy.? It doesn't seem intentional.? The video doesn't have anything to do with the song either so it loses points for that too

Maybe, I just get the impression that all of you Axlists will rag on it because its VR. Nothing more, nothing less than that.

Of course the video is cheesy, so what?! Have you got the article or whatever it is where the bandmember says they didn't want it to be cheesy? I'd like to read that if you could.

Cheers.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2007, 01:58:22 PM »

it has a hot girl, explosions, guns, laughs, a classic slash guitar solo scene....what more could you want in a rock video. geez give it a rest

What I really love about it is that it's so true to the spirit of Slash. ?It's really easy to imagine a fifteen year old Slash liking this video for the same reasons that adult Slash does -- car chases, snakes, guns, molotov cocktails, hot chicks, a guy on fire...

Compare that to Axl -- who's idea of cool changes pretty regularly. ?Now it's kilts... now it's biker shorts... now it's ten minute epics... now ?it's dolphins...

It's interesting, because when Axl was on Eddie Trunk, he seemed to be embarrassed by the dolphin years and the Estranged video. ?He seemed to acknowledge that it was all pretty silly, even if it was ambitious and expensive and had never been done before. ?

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »

Quote from: Locomotive98

Maybe, I just get the impression that all of you Axlists will rag on it because its VR. Nothing more, nothing less than that.

Of course the video is cheesy, so what?! Have you got the article or whatever it is where the bandmember says they didn't want it to be cheesy? I'd like to read that if you could.

Cheers.

"We spoke with several different directors, and no one could wrap their head around that concept. It was a two-day shoot, and we had no idea if it would look like crap or if it was going to look amazing. We knew it had to be cool, that it had to have a vibe and it couldn't look cheesy. ... And it came out looking badass." - Weiland

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1560256/20070522/velvet_revolver.jhtml

peace
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2007, 02:05:38 PM »

its almost like a parody of Dont Cry hihi

seriously though

SBQM
-Duff busts a bottle on some dude
-SLash Rams a van through a wood fence
-Slash PLays a solo while some dude is on fire
-Wieland in a gun fight
-the car race scene with slash smoking a cigarette (same car @ DC vid?)

Dont Cry
- SOme CHick smashes a Bottle on Duffs Guitar
-Slash Crashes through a wood fence
-SLash plays a solo while the car is on fire and explodes
-Axl fights with stephanie over a Gun
-Slash Smokes a Cigarette while he drive the same car (?) really fast

Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »

Its a nice video, I liked it.

By the way, have you seen the TWAT video, ohh.. maginificent.. hihi

Opps, I am hallucinating, for a moment I though that the current Guns n' Roses was a normal band. ?:cryin

it's so frustrating ?crying hihi

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2007, 02:06:53 PM »

clearly the video is not ment to be taken seriously. but its still pure cheese.

html sucks
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2007, 02:08:41 PM »

What I really love about it is that it's so true to the spirit of Slash. ?It's really easy to imagine a fifteen year old Slash liking this video for the same reasons that adult Slash does -- car chases, snakes, guns, molotov cocktails, hot chicks, a guy on fire...

Compare that to Axl -- who's idea of cool changes pretty regularly. ?Now it's kilts... now it's biker shorts... now it's ten minute epics... now ?it's dolphins...

It's interesting, because when Axl was on Eddie Trunk, he seemed to be embarrassed by the dolphin years and the Estranged video. ?He seemed to acknowledge that it was all pretty silly, even if it was ambitious and expensive and had never been done before. ?

Agreed, if people don't want to see Slash tearing out an amazing solo next to a guy who's on fire after driving a truck Mr T style through a barricade then that's just sad and plain weird. Rock N Roll is fun, its not about being so serious, who cares if someone's girlfriend left them 15 years ago? Big deal. Just get out there and rock....

MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »

seriously though

SBQM
-Duff busts a bottle on some dude
-SLash Rams a van through a wood fence
-Slash PLays a solo while some dude is on fire
-Wieland in a gun fight
-the car race scene with slash smoking a cigarette (same car @ DC vid?)

Dont Cry
- SOme CHick smashes a Bottle on Duffs Guitar
-Slash Crashes through a wood fence
-SLash plays a solo while the car is on fire and explodes
-Axl fights with stephanie over a Gun
-Slash Smokes a Cigarette while he drive the same car (?) really fast

That is really interesting. ?And it illustrates a lot about Axl's approach vs. the old guys... It's really not that different when you look at the nuts and bolts (either music video elements or chord progressions in the music) ?It's just their aim is totally different. ?Slash and the old guys just wanted to have fun. ?Axl wanted to be very serious and prove to the world that he was a great artist.

But at the end of the day, they're all writing rock songs about chicks and making videos with chicks, guns and cars.

Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2007, 02:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Locomotive98

Cheers.

"We spoke with several different directors, and no one could wrap their head around that concept. It was a two-day shoot, and we had no idea if it would look like crap or if it was going to look amazing. We knew it had to be cool, that it had to have a vibe and it couldn't look cheesy. ... And it came out looking badass." - Weiland

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1560256/20070522/velvet_revolver.jhtml

peace

Fair enough, it is cheesy but it doesn't mean its not great. But your opinion is your opinion.

Misya Rose
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2007, 02:49:39 PM »

...Scott looks like Clint Eastwood...

GNR Milan, Gods Of Metal 4th June '06
VR Milan, Gods Of Metal 2nd June '07
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »

When rockstars try to do something significant with a music video, I think they end up looking silly.? Dolphins, people.

This was just silly fun.? Don't take yourself too seriously.? Otherwise you'll spend a generation working on a concept album about an ex-girlfriend.

SLASH WROTE- Its been very busy out here on tour, but I just had to let u know how fuckin' great the video is, not that I ever had a doubt, u were so committed to this project, but it really surpasses the standard by which the music video medium is currently dictated. I'm thankful that we chose u to help us realize the "vision" that we had, I don't think anybody else could have come close to accomplishing what u accomplished.Its the best video I've ever been involved with, for sure. Its as good or better than any of those epic GnR videos at half the cost in half the time. Not really ANY comments from me for change, it all works the way it is, I don't want to fuck it up. There is a couple shots of me during the spyglass section in the beginning that are a little lackluster, but everything else, the solo, the van, the fight scenes are killer!

SCOTT WEILAND WROTE- You guys are fucking geniuses. You made our vision come alive, but more than that, you took it to another level. I'm more pleased and more proud of this video than any other video I've worked on in the past. I guess the best compliment that I could give to both of you is simply to say that I have absolutely no comments and no requests for changes to be made (this has never happened).

Err, what was that you were saying about "...just silly fun.? Don't take yourself too seriously".? I think perhaps you were directing your comments at the wrong person.

Eh, their goal was to make a fun video.

I think they did it. ?I think their comments about being pleased with the video are meant as in relation to those goals... fun video.

When they say "bad ass," I think it's meant more subtley than Axl would. ?Look at the Darkness videos. ?They're silly too, but in a more over-the-top way.

I guess that you and I will have to agree to differ on this one because nowhere in the quotes I've highlighted by Slash and Scott can I see that their intention was to make a video that was "just good fun" and "silly".? I believe that they had high hopes that it would be viewed just a tad more seriously than appears to have been the case.

You guys seriously need to relax. ?I know you're frustrated that Axl can't seem to make music or videos anymore. ?But trashing VR for having a good time won't get Axl any closer to releasing music of his own.

I don't see the need to bring Axl into this discussion at this point.? However, as you have, perhaps I could respond with your own advice to the board, given yesterday on a thread on the GNR section:

"So instead of complaining about the lack of this, or the cancellation of that, maybe it would be healthy for everyone to remember why we love Axl so much in the first place."

What I really love about it is that it's so true to the spirit of Slash.? It's really easy to imagine a fifteen year old Slash liking this video for the same reasons that adult Slash does -- car chases, snakes, guns, molotov cocktails, hot chicks, a guy on fire...

Compare that to Axl -- who's idea of cool changes pretty regularly.? Now it's kilts... now it's biker shorts... now it's ten minute epics... now? it's dolphins...

Again, not sure why Axl needs to enter this discussion, but in answer, I'd say that, from this then, I imagine that you're not a fan of Robin's changing styles, either?

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »

But at the end of the day, they're all writing rock songs about chicks and making videos with chicks, guns and cars.

exactly they got 4 mintues to sell sex, violence and music...what are ya gonna do. i still think the video was pretty sweet

not sure why Axl needs to enter this discussion

Axl and Slash's ppost GnR career's will be compared until they die then prolly for a few years following that. might as well get used to it Wink

anythinggoes
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »

Ok im not a fan of the song, but the video is not that bad, as long as they are not taking themselves seriously, when watching i just saw A Team at the beggining and a bit of Desperado thrown in the mix, it wont win any awards but it could of been a lot worse, and yeah slash looked well outta place, he is too Rock and Roll to be fighting they should of had him just playing Guitar, Drinking, Smoking and looking cool while everyone else acted
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »

The shot of Slash soloing while the guy behind him was in fire was very cool. but they only showed the guy for like 1 second. Like i said earlier, bad camara work. The video could have been better.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2007, 04:23:20 PM »

The opening sequence certainly could have been trimmed, but its an otherwise good video - probably their best yet.  It had the Kill Bill vibe I thought it would have. 

As for the negative reactions, everybodys entitled to their opinions, of course.  However, I wonder if the negative reactions to the videos treatment have shaped some opinions on the video itself.  It seems like many people were expecting it to be bad or cheesey, and thats unsurprisingly what they get from it. 
MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »

When rockstars try to do something significant with a music video, I think they end up looking silly.? Dolphins, people.

This was just silly fun.? Don't take yourself too seriously.? Otherwise you'll spend a generation working on a concept album about an ex-girlfriend.

SLASH WROTE- Its been very busy out here on tour, but I just had to let u know how fuckin' great the video is, not that I ever had a doubt, u were so committed to this project, but it really surpasses the standard by which the music video medium is currently dictated. I'm thankful that we chose u to help us realize the "vision" that we had, I don't think anybody else could have come close to accomplishing what u accomplished.Its the best video I've ever been involved with, for sure. Its as good or better than any of those epic GnR videos at half the cost in half the time. Not really ANY comments from me for change, it all works the way it is, I don't want to fuck it up. There is a couple shots of me during the spyglass section in the beginning that are a little lackluster, but everything else, the solo, the van, the fight scenes are killer!

SCOTT WEILAND WROTE- You guys are fucking geniuses. You made our vision come alive, but more than that, you took it to another level. I'm more pleased and more proud of this video than any other video I've worked on in the past. I guess the best compliment that I could give to both of you is simply to say that I have absolutely no comments and no requests for changes to be made (this has never happened).

Err, what was that you were saying about "...just silly fun.? Don't take yourself too seriously".? I think perhaps you were directing your comments at the wrong person.

Eh, their goal was to make a fun video.

I think they did it. ?I think their comments about being pleased with the video are meant as in relation to those goals... fun video.

When they say "bad ass," I think it's meant more subtley than Axl would. ?Look at the Darkness videos. ?They're silly too, but in a more over-the-top way.

I guess that you and I will have to agree to differ on this one because nowhere in the quotes I've highlighted by Slash and Scott can I see that their intention was to make a video that was "just good fun" and "silly".? I believe that they had high hopes that it would be viewed just a tad more seriously than appears to have been the case.

You guys seriously need to relax. ?I know you're frustrated that Axl can't seem to make music or videos anymore. ?But trashing VR for having a good time won't get Axl any closer to releasing music of his own.

I don't see the need to bring Axl into this discussion at this point.? However, as you have, perhaps I could respond with your own advice to the board, given yesterday on a thread on the GNR section:

"So instead of complaining about the lack of this, or the cancellation of that, maybe it would be healthy for everyone to remember why we love Axl so much in the first place."

What I really love about it is that it's so true to the spirit of Slash.? It's really easy to imagine a fifteen year old Slash liking this video for the same reasons that adult Slash does -- car chases, snakes, guns, molotov cocktails, hot chicks, a guy on fire...

Compare that to Axl -- who's idea of cool changes pretty regularly.? Now it's kilts... now it's biker shorts... now it's ten minute epics... now? it's dolphins...

Again, not sure why Axl needs to enter this discussion, but in answer, I'd say that, from this then, I imagine that you're not a fan of Robin's changing styles, either?

Axl and Slash will always be talked about together.  GNR will always be compared with VR.  If you can't understand why that would be, then I doubt I'll be able to explain it for you.

MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »

It's an OK video, nothing really interesting but also nothing really annoying.
By far nothing half as epic or good the three ex-members have done so far, but still it was
some small cinema. It has its moments, some nice action (Scott shooting around looks a bit strange as if he haven't had a gun in his hands ever before, but still ok) and some other things.

All in all the clip is as good (or bad) as the song, no need to bash it or diss it and no need to start GNR vs VR discussions based on it. To me it is their best clip so far and it deserves some good airplay on MTV.

Gonzo Axl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »

Come on, this Was pretty sweet. Slash soloing while a guy is running around in flames behind him? AWESOME! And at 1:57, "THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!" hahaha. I wonder when It'll be on Itunes, I'll buy it. beer

EDIT!!! Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7QnPuXhfUU
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:47:03 PM by Gonzo Axl » Logged
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2007, 06:39:35 PM »

Really?  Shame they couldn't manage to come up with something original then..   Grin

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: