Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  'Sicko' Shows Michael Moore's Maturity as a Filmmaker
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Sicko' Shows Michael Moore's Maturity as a Filmmaker  (Read 32448 times)
SLCPUNK
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:43:45 AM »

Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

"This film is a call to action," Moore said at a press conference on Saturday. "It's also not a partisan film."

Indeed, in "Sicko," Moore criticizes both Democrats and Republicans for their inaction and in some cases their willingness to be bribed by pharmaceutical companies and insurance carriers.

In a key moment in the film, Moore takes a group of patients by boat to the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba because of its outstanding medical care. When they can't get into the U.S. naval base, Moore proceeds onto Havana where the patients are treated well and cheaply.

This has caused a great deal of controversy, with the federal government launching an investigation into the trip, which officials say was in violation of the trade and commerce embargo against the Communist country.

"This administration flaunts the law, flaunts the constitution," Moore said at the press conference, explaining the flap over the trip to Cuba.

Moore now claims the U.S. government says his Cuban footage may be illegal, and Moore said he made a second master copy of "Sicko" and had it shipped it to France immediately just in case of potential government issues.

SiCKO Trailer
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:51:11 AM by Pharmo » Logged
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 03:59:11 AM »

Mike Moore was denied a visa by the US government to travel to Cuba because his reasons for being there were not considered to be 'humanitarian' enough!!

Pretty cheeky of him though, the trip to Guantameno Bay! I wonder what David Hicks would have to say about the 'outstanding medical care' there.....Good one Mike!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:32:10 AM »

This could actually be good.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
sandman
Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »

i hope this movie is honest.

if not, it will only serve to muddle the discussion and could hinder efforts to improve our system.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:23 AM »

As far as this not being old Moore in action I don't know, I saw a trailer for this last night during Conan and Michael Moore is on a boat with a microphone screaming at MP's at Quantanamo Bay about, hey can we get the same heath care as those terrorists.  As much as I really agree with him on this whole health care thing, there's really no way he can prevent himself from being a douchebag in the process. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:21:44 PM »

I think Michael  Moore  is a great film maker!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:37:07 PM »

if not, it will only serve to muddle the discussion and could hinder efforts to improve our system.

Yea, maybe your side could teach us about "honesty".
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:39:09 PM »

I think Michael? Moore? is a great film maker!

As far as his film career goes....yeah Canadian Bacon was pretty damn good.  RIP John Candy!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 01:09:19 PM »

good stuff....i cant wait for this movie to come out....something i actually agree with michael moore on...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 10:23:39 AM »

my side?

sad you view things that way. you've fallen victim to the political machine. you should try to think for yourself, and try looking at things from outside the box.   

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 03:50:41 PM »

if you think EITHER side is honest you are pretty naive....
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »

sad you view things that way. you've fallen victim to the political machine. you should try to think for yourself, and try looking at things from outside the box.   

You're one to talk.

I've always thought for myself, did my homework and always stuck to my guns. You followed your leader off a cliff and don't have the balls to man up and admit you were chumped out. You leader is a liar who murders people, that is who you support.

Sandman is a liar, just like the group of thugs, traitors and goons he supported throughout this war. A person such as himself demanding honesty is like Tom Delay demanding ethics reform in Washington. Don't like me calling it out? Too bad.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »

exactly.

but some people have been duped into thinking "their side" is honest and genuine while most on the opposite side are evil liars. kinda sad people lose perspective like that.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »

but some people have been duped into thinking "their side" is honest and genuine while most on the opposite side are evil liars. kinda sad people lose perspective like that.

Assume all you'd like, but I don't want to hear a lecture about "honesty" coming from the group of stooges who brought us the Iraqi fiasco.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »

I have difficulty separating my dislike of Michael Moore with my desire to assess the merits of his arguments.  I'm sure I'll see this, but I hope that hearing from Moore about problems in our health care system doesn't hurt the argument for myself or (much more importantly) others.  Moore can claim this isn't a partisan piece all he wants, but people won't believe it and, summarily, those who dislike him may become hostile toward the issue.  That would be a shame.  Moore should realize that that best way to push these causes would be to pay for a narrator!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 12:53:45 AM »

I have difficulty separating my dislike of Michael Moore with my desire to assess the merits of his arguments.  I'm sure I'll see this, but I hope that hearing from Moore about problems in our health care system doesn't hurt the argument for myself or (much more importantly) others.  Moore can claim this isn't a partisan piece all he wants, but people won't believe it and, summarily, those who dislike him may become hostile toward the issue.  That would be a shame.  Moore should realize that that best way to push these causes would be to pay for a narrator!

Well, keep in mind the first post in this thread I took from Fox news. To me, that says a lot about this film already.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 01:13:22 AM »

Well, keep in mind the first post in this thread I took from Fox news. To me, that says a lot about this film already.

Indeed it does.  As I said, I'm sure I'll see it.  However, so many documentaries that tend to have more liberal tendencies, whether they claim to be non-partisan or not, come off as too preachy.  In watching "Who Killed the Electric Car?" my wife and I both found the film to be so over the top that it really hurt our abilities to approve of the valuable message.  And Moore has this tendency as well.  That, and I really don't think his films are all too good.  Bowling for Columbine didn't seem to have any true clarity as to its central thesis.  Was it about guns, or violence, or the media, or fear?  I don't know.  It was just a steaming pile of dung that left me with the vague impression that I should visit Canada.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19:47 AM »

Moore is aware of this and in this film (if I remember him correctly) allows the people to the talking. `
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 01:21:44 AM »

I have difficulty separating my dislike of Michael Moore with my desire to assess the merits of his arguments.? I'm sure I'll see this, but I hope that hearing from Moore about problems in our health care system doesn't hurt the argument for myself or (much more importantly) others.? Moore can claim this isn't a partisan piece all he wants, but people won't believe it and, summarily, those who dislike him may become hostile toward the issue.? That would be a shame.? Moore should realize that that best way to push these causes would be to pay for a narrator!

Indeed it does.? As I said, I'm sure I'll see it.? However, so many documentaries that tend to have more liberal tendencies, whether they claim to be non-partisan or not, come off as too preachy.? In watching "Who Killed the Electric Car?" my wife and I both found the film to be so over the top that it really hurt our abilities to approve of the valuable message.? And Moore has this tendency as well.? That, and I really don't think his films are all too good.? Bowling for Columbine didn't seem to have any true clarity as to its central thesis.? Was it about guns, or violence, or the media, or fear?? I don't know.? It was just a steaming pile of dung that left me with the vague impression that I should visit Canada.

Watch Canadian Bacon and Moore will have you wanting to take over Canada!!

SLCPUNK
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 01:28:06 AM »

Watch Canadian Bacon and Moore will have you wanting to take over Canada!!

We'll have to liberate them eventually, they have oil in their dirt!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: