Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:09:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  'Sicko' Shows Michael Moore's Maturity as a Filmmaker
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Sicko' Shows Michael Moore's Maturity as a Filmmaker  (Read 32449 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2007, 11:44:42 AM »

but remember, our government has the responsibility of regulating all insurance companies. and how's that process working out? not good. in fact, it's a joke. practically a scam.

This, I think, leads to THE major problem, which is the influence of lobbyists and money on our policies.  I agree that it's not working.  Why?  The insurance lobby is powerful!  Very powerful! 

But lobbyists do not have the power to overcome the most potent lobbyist, which is public opinion.  Tobacco is rich and powerful, but eventually something was done against them.  Detroit and the medical industry seem to be on the losing side (note: they haven't LOST, but public opinion is shifting) with turning toward more progressive and societally conscious policies.  Both can count on the fact that, the next time a Dem is elected President, and especially so if they control the Congress, there will be some major moves to fix problems with those industries.  Hell, even the GOP is doing lip-service to these issues (esp. the environment). 

An Open Letter to CNN from Michael Moore

P.S. If you also want to apologize for not doing your job at the start of the Iraq War, I'm sure most Americans would be very happy to accept your apology. You and the other networks were willing partners with Bush, flying flags all over the TV screens and never asking the hard questions that you should have asked. You might have prevented a war. You might have saved the lives of those 3,610 soldiers who are no longer with us. Instead, you blew air kisses at a commander in chief who clearly was making it all up. Millions of us knew that -- why didn't you? I think you did. And, in my opinion, that makes you responsible for this war. Instead of doing the job the founding fathers wanted you to do -- keeping those in power honest (that's why they made it the FIRST amendment) -- you and much of the media went on the attack against the few public figures like myself who dared to question the nightmare we were about to enter. You've never thanked me or the Dixie Chicks or Al Gore for doing your job for you. That's OK. Just tell the truth from this point on.

He shouldn't have put this in.  It cheapens the whole thing, and alienates people who don't like MM because of his other films. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »

In the end, Moore writes a $12,000.00 check to the man who maintains the largest anti-Michael Moore Website in America. It seems the man?s wife is gravely ill, and he had to choose between her health and his anti-Moore Website. He chose his wife.

Michael Moore said that didn?t seem fair or right, and then anonymously gave him the funds to get that anti-Michael Moore Website back on the air.

Top that.

did this really happen? how is it anonymous if this writer knows about it?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2007, 01:13:23 PM »

but remember, our government has the responsibility of regulating all insurance companies. and how's that process working out? not good. in fact, it's a joke. practically a scam.

This, I think, leads to THE major problem, which is the influence of lobbyists and money on our policies.? I agree that it's not working.? Why?? The insurance lobby is powerful!? Very powerful!?

that's part of the problem, but its deeper than that. the insurance industry is very heavily regulated. the laws are in place. and each state has an Insurance Department to audit, monitor, and oversee the actions of insurance companies. but as is usually the case, once politics are involved, things get kinda shady. these departments are poorly run, with little accountability. as a result, oversight is limited and the tax-paying public suffers as a result.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »

In the end, Moore writes a $12,000.00 check to the man who maintains the largest anti-Michael Moore Website in America. It seems the man?s wife is gravely ill, and he had to choose between her health and his anti-Moore Website. He chose his wife.

Michael Moore said that didn?t seem fair or right, and then anonymously gave him the funds to get that anti-Michael Moore Website back on the air.

Top that.

did this really happen? how is it anonymous if this writer knows about it?

What the writer doesn't mention is that (I've heard) this is actually IN the movie!  SO...it was an anonymous donation...until the movie came out. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Lisa
You talkin' to me?
Legend

Here Today..Gone To The syndicate

« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »

it IS in the movie

SLCPUNK
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2007, 11:48:25 PM »

it IS in the movie

In the end, Moore writes a $12,000.00 check to the man who maintains the largest anti-Michael Moore Website in America.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2007, 12:20:07 AM »

it IS in the movie

In the end, Moore writes a $12,000.00 check to the man who maintains the largest anti-Michael Moore Website in America.

You know, I read that, but in a completely different way.  Instead of "in the end" as in "at the end of the film" I read it as more of a transition...like "at the end of the day," this is what MM is doing. 

Brainfart. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:50 AM »

it IS in the movie

You know, I read that, but in a completely different way.? Instead of "in the end" as in "at the end of the film" I read it as more of a transition...like "at the end of the day," this is what MM is doing.?

Brainfart.?

i read it the same way. didn't seem like he meant "in the end of the movie." but what really threw me off was his "anonymous" comment in the next line. how is it "anonymous" if it's in a movie. i think it's blatently obvious that it's a publicity stunt.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2007, 11:30:57 AM »

it IS in the movie

You know, I read that, but in a completely different way.  Instead of "in the end" as in "at the end of the film" I read it as more of a transition...like "at the end of the day," this is what MM is doing. 

Brainfart. 

i read it the same way. didn't seem like he meant "in the end of the movie." but what really threw me off was his "anonymous" comment in the next line. how is it "anonymous" if it's in a movie. i think it's blatently obvious that it's a publicity stunt.

Certainly a publicity stunt, though I'm sure the guy who can pay his medical bills isn't complaining too much. 

I'm still waiting for my publicity stunt to arrive in the mail.  no

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »

Sandman, you going to see the movie?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2007, 06:40:53 PM »

yes, i'm gonna check it out. not in the theater though. i rarely get out to the movies - 4 times this year, but before that i had gone about 4 years without going. i put it in my online queue to be sent when released on dvd.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »

yes, i'm gonna check it out. not in the theater though. i rarely get out to the movies - 4 times this year, but before that i had gone about 4 years without going. i put it in my online queue to be sent when released on dvd.

friend of mine at work saw it, movie sounds amazing.  was going to wait for DVD but not sure if i will now.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
sandman
Legend

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2007, 11:20:32 PM »

it's funny, the work i'm involved with right now is so relevant to this discussion. i provide consulting services for the state insurance departments, and am currently doing a claim review at a health insurer. i am seeing first hand evidence of a health insurer denying valid claims. as claims came in, they would review policyholders medical history to find conditions that existed before the policy began, but were not listed on the application. then they would deny them.

based on the results of my team's review, they will have to pay a fine and reimburse a large number of claims they previously denied. inexplainably, the laws prohibiting this practice are sketchy at best. the system does not penalize insurers severely enough to fully prevent it.   

SLCPUNK
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2007, 11:23:44 PM »

the system does not penalize insurers severely enough to fully prevent it.   

I have a feeling that even if they did, they would simply consider it the cost of doing business, and make the money up somewhere else.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2007, 01:37:18 AM »

Gough Whitlam was the Australian Prime Minister responsible for creating the best Health Care System in the world.

It is only in the last decade that the current government has been able to diminish its impact. The laws regarding the health system were really well considered and written.

Uncle Gough was dismissed under controversial circumstances in 1975. Read about it below.

http://www.pictureaustralia.org/trails_politicsgovt.html

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2007, 08:19:04 PM »

Here's some of the shoots that didn't make the movie, a part about Norway. Yes it's very glamored hihi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ0B2xDzSgg

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: