Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Argue about what we should argue about
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Argue about what we should argue about  (Read 29505 times)
The Dog
Legend

« on: June 25, 2007, 02:42:54 AM »

NEW YORK (AP) -- Americans gave nearly $300 billion to charitable causes last year, setting a new record and besting the 2005 total that had been boosted by a surge in aid to victims of hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma -- and the Asian tsunami.

Donors contributed an estimated $295.02 billion in 2006, a 1 percent increase when adjusted for inflation, up from $283.05 billion in 2005. Excluding donations for disaster relief, the total rose 3.2 percent, inflation-adjusted, according to an annual report released Monday by the Giving USA Foundation at Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy.

Giving historically tracks the health of the overall economy, with the rise amounting to about one-third the rise in the stock market, according to Giving USA. Last year was right on target, with a 3.2 percent rise, as stocks rose more than 10 percent on an inflation-adjusted basis.

"What people find especially interesting about this, and it's true year after year, that such a high percentage comes from individual donors," Giving USA Chairman Richard Jolly said.

Individuals gave a combined 75.6 percent of the total. With bequests, that rises to 83.4 percent.

The biggest chunk of the donations, $96.82 billion or 32.8 percent, went to religious organizations. The second largest slice, $40.98 billion or 13.9 percent, went to education, including gifts to colleges, universities and libraries.

About 65 percent of households with incomes less than $100,000 give to charity, the report showed.
Part of 'American culture'

"It tells you something about American culture that is unlike any other country," said Claire Gaudiani, a professor at NYU's Heyman Center for Philanthropy and author of "The Greater Good: How Philanthropy Drives the American Economy and Can Save Capitalism." Gaudiani said the willingness of Americans to give cuts across income levels, and their investments go to developing ideas, inventions and people to the benefit of the overall economy.

Gaudiani said Americans give twice as much as the next most charitable country, according to a November 2006 comparison done by the Charities Aid Foundation. In philanthropic giving as a percentage of gross domestic product, the U.S. ranked first at 1.7 percent. No. 2 Britain gave 0.73 percent, while France, with a 0.14 percent rate, trailed such countries as South Africa, Singapore, Turkey and Germany.

Mega-gifts, which Giving USA considers to be donations of $1 billion or more, tend to get the most attention, and that was true last year especially.

Investment superstar Warren Buffett announced in June 2006 that he would give $30 billion over 20 years to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Of that total, $1.9 billion was given in 2006, which helped push the year's total higher.

Gaudiani said that gift reflects a growing focus on using donated money efficiently and effectively.

"I think it's also a strategic commitment to upward mobility exported to other countries, in the form of improved health and stronger civil societies," she said.

The Gates Foundation has focused on reducing hunger and fighting disease in developing countries as well as improving education in the U.S. Without Buffett's pledge, it had an endowment of $29.2 billion as of the end of 2005.

Meanwhile, companies and their foundations gave less in 2006, dropping 10.5 percent to $12.72 billion. Jolly said corporate giving fell because companies had been so generous in response to the natural disasters and because profits overall were less strong in 2006 over the year before.

The Giving USA report counts money given to foundations as well as grants the foundations make to nonprofits and other groups, since foundations typically give out only income earned without spending the original donations.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:23:23 AM by Lil' Butters » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:10:26 AM »

We do like to help others ... hell , I even once donated to a church group .

Another reason to like us : Ky makes some of the best whiskey in the world .

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:32:57 AM »

My great aunt was rescued by Patton's troops in a camp 'somewhere in Germany'. She always jokes they they were racing to get to her. (They were really trying to beat the Russians into Germany so they could have first dibs on those V2 rocket plans).

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 03:41:59 AM »

now with all they steal from the world, i guess they have to give some back ....
sadly, the Average-Joe ones giving to charity are not the ones stealing ressources from Africa ...

hey, i'm kidding, i'm just playing my part Grin

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:23:28 AM »

now with all they steal from the world, i guess they have to give some back ....
sadly, the Average-Joe ones giving to charity are not the ones stealing ressources from Africa ...

hahha great post  ok

you're probably right to some degree though - its guilt money.  Us yanks feel bad that we voted (well, some of us did at) for a douche of a president who has done nothing but ruin this country and make the world a less safe place.

getting off my soap box now.

sadly i didn't donate any money last year.

anyone know of any good charities?

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 12:09:05 PM »

My great aunt was rescued by Patton's troops in a camp 'somewhere in Germany'. She always jokes they they were racing to get to her. (They were really trying to beat the Russians into Germany so they could have first dibs on those V2 rocket plans).

IM sorry but How the hell does that statement have anythign to do with this thread? other then a broad generalization as a reason that you like america, or an excuse to continue to attempt to make everything polish ...... though I am surprised you didnt say that it was shermans men command by a polish commander that raced to save your grandmother, while tring to capture a V2 and send it to birtian so that you would ahve soemthing to say hey look at me im polish and poland should rule the world cause we saved everyone in worl war 2...... fuck sakes

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »

Don't mind him, they use vodka for water down there.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 12:16:05 PM »

no, i gave all my money to your mom for sucking my cock

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »

NEW YORK (AP) -- Americans gave nearly $300 billion to charitable causes last year, setting a new record and besting the 2005 total that had been boosted by a surge in aid to victims of hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma -- and the Asian tsunami.

isnt that impresive?

no

No its not

Current US Military budget anyone?

(hint: $550 billion approx)

Quick! To the bandwagon!
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »

Reported budget...

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »

"We also invented the missionary position-you're welcome."

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 01:40:59 PM »

oh you must have been the guy she said was hung like chapstick.  ok

dick

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »

isnt that impresive?

no

No its not

did you actually read the article? 

"Individuals gave a combined 75.6 percent of the total. With bequests, that rises to 83.4 percent."

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 02:11:13 PM »

I have a better reason to like America...because we will invade your country and kill your leader if you dont..... rofl
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 03:17:47 PM »

"Individuals gave a combined 75.6 percent of the total. With bequests, that rises to 83.4 percent."

Probably all conservatives too, gawd bless 'em all.
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »

France has to step it up, greedy bastards.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »

oh you must have been the guy she said was hung like chapstick.? ok

dick

nah, she was talking about your dad

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »

oh you must have been the guy she said was hung like chapstick.  ok

dick

nah, she was talking about your dad

a mom joke to start with and your follow up is a dad joke?   wow.

anyways, its funny how people around the world always seem to forget how giving americans are.  I guess its easier to focus on the bad things.

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 11:34:50 PM »

IM sorry but How the hell does that statement have anythign to do with this thread? other then a broad generalization as a reason that you like america, or an excuse to continue to attempt to make everything polish ...... though I am surprised you didnt say that it was shermans men command by a polish commander that raced to save your grandmother, while tring to capture a V2 and send it to birtian so that you would ahve soemthing to say hey look at me im polish and poland should rule the world cause we saved everyone in worl war 2...... fuck sakes

When you learn to read......... Roll Eyes

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 01:02:09 AM »

isnt that impresive?

no

No its not

Apparentry you don't know the difference between the government spending taxes on the military and individuars giving their money of their own free wirr.  America takes a ROT of shit around here.  But this isn't about poritics, is it?   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: