Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 03:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Duff, "I would have salvaged things [with Axl]"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff, "I would have salvaged things [with Axl]"  (Read 11167 times)
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2007, 04:42:30 PM »

I didn't say one song about an ex-lover makes you emo, but when that subject tends to take over as the dominant theme of your album, or at least what we've heard of your album (as seems to be the case with Chinese Democracy), then yeah, I'd call that emo.

So in other words you'd consider a large chunk of rock music, R&B/soul, blues, Latin music, country music, etc to be emo.  Such commentary really shows how limited your knowledge of music is.  Songs about heartbreak and lost love have been prominent in music basically since music has been around.  What you call "emo", in the way you're using it has been around since like the 90's.  So your opinion on the matter would certainly qualify as ignorant and uninformed

Yes, songs about it have been prominant. There's a difference between writing a song about a lost love and basing your entire album around that theme. That's the difference between the "emo" genre of music and a musician putting one love song on an album. "Emo" isn't just about lost loves/broken hearts, it's songs whining about life in general.

If you consider Just 16 to have great lyrics then you must think that about 99.9% of rock songs with simple and coherent lyrics to have great lyrics as well

What the hell is the point of continuing to bring this up? You aren't going to convince me that Just 16 doesn't have great lyrics. I like the song, you don't. If you're going to keep whining about it I'll get you a tissue.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »

You can like the song and admit it's lyrics suck. I like the song, but I don't go around parading it like it's a masterpiece.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »

You can like the song and admit it's lyrics suck. I like the song, but I don't go around parading it like it's a masterpiece.

I don't recall ever saying Just 16 was a masterpiece.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »

Yes, songs about it have been prominant. There's a difference between writing a song about a lost love and basing your entire album around that theme. That's the difference between the "emo" genre of music and a musician putting one love song on an album. "Emo" isn't just about lost loves/broken hearts, it's songs whining about life in general.

So all NIN albums are emo then.  Interesting.

Your transparent attempts to slam Axl are really pathetic actually.  You said one love song, well GnR' has always had a lot more than one of those on their albums so let's do a little math.  The UYI albums have 29 real songs, My World don't really count.  Don't Cry twice, alternate lyrics about the same subject.  So cut it to 28 songs. 

If "emo" as you put it is songs that contain a fair share of lyrics "whining" or lamenting about former loves/broken relationships/being lonely then the following songs off UYI could fall under that category

-You Been The First
-Back Off Bitch
-Dead Horse
-14 Years
-Locomotive
-Estranged
-You Could Be Mine

If "emo" as you put it is "whining about life in general" which I guess means it has lyrics discussing basically being isolated/disillusioned/cynical about society and people and everything else, then these UYI songs would be "emo", and you combine it with your other definition then these songs are "emo"

-Right Next Door To Hell
-Perfect Crime
-You Ain't The First
-Back Off Bitch
-Bad Obsession
-Double Talkin Jive
-Garden Of Eden
-Don't Damn Me
-Bad Apples
-Dead Horse
-Coma
-Civil War
-14 Years
-Get In The Ring
-Breakdown
-Locomotive
-Estranged
-You Could Be Mine

Congratulations, using your definition that an emo song is a song either talking about an ex or a lost lover, or "whining about life"/talking about being disillusioned or isolated or alone or pissed off, 18 of the 28 "real" songs on the UYI albums would qualify as emo by your calculations.  So GnR must have been an emo band during the UYI era.  Going by your criteria.  Funny
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »

Oh heavens, I guess you're right. I'm going to go burn my UYI CD's now. Thankfully I still have Libertad to listen to.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »

Oh heavens, I guess you're right. I'm going to go burn my UYI CD's now. Thankfully I still have Libertad to listen to.

Might want to burn Contraband as well.  A lot of the lyrics were "whining" about various problems in life, including ( Shocked ) relationships
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »

all music is EMO

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Drope
Opening Act

Hincha de Boca

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 01:04:11 AM »

This story is very sad. I mean, haveing the hottest band on the earth falling to pieces because of a disagreement on a musical direction. It's awful, but it had to happen sometime. Sad but true.

In my opinion this is just natural. In a musical view of this situation, no one is "guilty" of anything. Every musican has his influences, his view of music, the future, etc; and in this band they were just impossible to match. And I don't think that a guy like Slash wolud like to be "under orders", plus playing what he didn't wanted to.

And then the whole shit came. I personally think that the differences between personalities were obviously huge, but not that big as to stop a relationship and creating this atmosphere of hate all over a dacade and counting. I mean, a period of distance is normal, but such a long time with this smell of shit is not that normal.

So, after all this I think that real guilties of this awful atmosphere are us, as fans allways confronting this ex-bandmates. I think that without all the press that "Axl vs ex-gunners" has, the relationship could have been better. I don't mean "friends", which is impossible; but some "sitting and solve some things" could have happened.

I don't know. Maybe, and really possibly, I'm wrong; but is what I think of all this shity situation.

PS: Sorry 'bout my english  Tongue

Las penas son de nosotros, las vaquitas son ajenas.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: