Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Rural areas and cities-Republicans and Democrats
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rural areas and cities-Republicans and Democrats  (Read 1822 times)
GeraldFord
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »

Why are all major cities  Democratic and the mid-west, anywhere that's not a city Republican?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:17:43 PM »

Go watch "Jesus Camp".
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »

Go watch "Jesus Camp".

Having not watched Jesus Camp, but knowing roughly what it's about, I think that's a big oversimplification. 

I'll give the red areas a shot.

I grew up in Central Indiana (Indy suburbs).  Plenty of people go to church.  Plenty don't.  I don't know too many people that I'd call religious zealots.  Now, in the county where I lived, there was a fair amount of money, so I think Republican notions of lower taxes tend to appeal to them.  And why not?  Your best estimate of how things are going is your own life.  Life was good, there, Republicans were always in charge, so there's a lot of party loyalty. 

And I think that general rule of thumb will apply to a lot of suburban areas, where you have a large middle class population.  And the middle class, especially, is hostile toward a lot of policies that are traditionally tied to Democrats.  Take welfare and affirmative action, for instance.  The middle class is the group of people who exemplify the American dream, in that they worked hard, and were rewarded for it, and I think they dislike policies like welfare and affirmative action because they're helping others to get what they did, with what they perceive as less effort. 

Finally, if you live in the suburbs, you're close enough to a decent sized city to know it's problems.  Crime, violence, drugs, corruption...and who runs cities?  Democrats!  Why would a suburban want to elect Dems, when the places they're in charge of all seem to have enormous problems?

OK...that's the 'burbs, but rural areas are vastly different.  First, it's more of a cultural and less of an economic loyalty to the GOP.  While suburbans care about taxes, rural voters care more about the social conservative issues, like abortion, religion, and so forth.  You'll find a lot more "Jesus Camp" influence in rural areas.     

Of course, these are all generalizations...averages rather than overwhelming norms.     

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 05:29:49 PM »

Why are all major cities  Democratic and the mid-west, anywhere that's not a city Republican?

Why do aliens always anal probe people from rural areas?

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »

Why do aliens always anal probe people from rural areas?

Are you saying the two are connected?  As in "Because aliens anal probe people from rural areas, they're traumatized to the point that they go on a crusade against sodomy"?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »

That is a complex issue, but education plays an important role. Too, the '64 Civil Rights Act layed the seeds for the eventual loss of Democratic hegemony of southern politics.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »

I think it is a question of values. Those in rural areas are more conservative where cities are more liberal. Of course this is a wide generalization.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »

I think it is a question of values. Those in rural areas are more conservative where cities are more liberal. Of course this is a wide generalization.
I don't understand what you mean, are you trying to imply that Republicans are more moral or if you will, have better values than Democrats?

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:09:11 PM »

I don't understand what you mean, are you trying to imply that Republicans are more moral or if you will, have better values than Democrats?

Similarly, I'm uncertain what you mean when you say that "education plays an important role."  Are you saying that the supporters of one party are more educated than the other?  Or, do you mean that the education we receive affects our political values?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »

The demographics indicate that it is the former.

EDIT : Actually those are two sides of the same coin. yes
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:19:42 PM by fuckin crazy » Logged

SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:08:45 PM »

Go watch "Jesus Camp".

Having not watched Jesus Camp, but knowing roughly what it's about, I think that's a big oversimplification. 

I felt the answer was on par with the question asked, as it was rather broad and it was also meant to be a tad sarcastic.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:12:15 PM by Pharmo » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 11:29:26 PM »

Go watch "Jesus Camp".

I felt the answer was on par with the question asked, as it was rather broad and it was also meant to be a tad sarcastic.

I may have picked up on the sarcasm.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: