Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Zimbabwe launches $200,000 note
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zimbabwe launches $200,000 note  (Read 3531 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: August 01, 2007, 01:06:02 AM »

Zimbabwe launches $200,000 note

Zimbabwe is to start circulating a new 200,000 Zimbabwe dollar note, in a bid to tackle the country's inflation, the highest in the world.

The new note, issued by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe from Wednesday, can buy 1kg (2.2lb) of sugar.

Food and fuel shortages have become common as the government relies more heavily on imports, pushing prices to new heights.

The official annual rate of inflation in Zimbabwe is nearing 5,000%.

In practice, this means the price of a loaf of bread costs 50 times more in cash than it did a year ago.

Shortages

The new note is worth US$13 at the official exchange rate or $1 on the black market.

Zimbabwe's government has created a commission to find a way to control soaring living costs.

But correspondents say that as long as Zimbabwe has a shortage of staple foods, including maize, food shortages are likely to continue.

Critics have blamed President Robert Mugabe's policies, especially the seizure of white-owned farms, for ordinary Zimbabweans' hardship.

For his part, President Mugabe has accused foreign governments of trying to interfere in Zimbabwe's affairs.

The new banknote comes after International Monetary Fund (IMF) forecasts that by the end of 2007, prices will be 1,000 times higher than they were a year earlier, Reuters news agency reports.

"Price controls that are being enforced are likely to exacerbate shortages and ultimately fuel further inflation," said Bio Tchane, director of the IMF's Africa department, who described Zimbabwe's prospects as "bleak".

BBC

Fuck 'Em All.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:50:13 AM »

In a word: Wow.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 04:18:20 AM »

and zimbabwe is not even in the 50 least developed countries .... must be rich !

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:21:35 AM »

In Vietnam go to withdrawl $100 buck and you end up with $1, 000, 000 dong!

Wallets there are 5x the normal size!  ok

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:01:59 PM »

actually its more like 1,614,500 dong per 100USD........ but im not sure what currency your converting from......  so it would be more like 2,207,638 dong per 100EUR or 3,277,104 dong per 100GBP....... geeeeezee for how shit the USD is doing these days your info must be some out of date!

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »

The point I was making was that $100 bucks isn't exactly 1 note in Vietnamese currency - the dong.

Withdrawl $100 in dong and you end up with a whole wad of notes.

I thought my wallet size analogy was pretty good.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »

In Vietnam go to withdrawl $100 buck and you end up with $1, 000, 000 dong!

Wallets there are 5x the normal size!  ok

Wow, one hundred bucks sure gets you a lot of dong. I've gotta tell Lisa about this.
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »

The point I was making was that $100 bucks isn't exactly 1 note in Vietnamese currency - the dong.

Withdrawl $100 in dong and you end up with a whole wad of notes.

I thought my wallet size analogy was pretty good.

well for anyone that has any understanding of forgien currencies then the surprise at it not being worth anything close to that of a domestic $100 resulting in far more bills would not be a surprise........... the surprise is when you got to the states and use canadian tire money and use it as legal tender (CT money for everyone not familiar with it is a coupon that you receive back from the cashier depending on your purchase amount and it comes in various sizes of demoniations and can be used as a cost offset as actual currency in any CT store)

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:40:06 PM »

It's sad that thru the tyranny of that despot, Zimbabwe has gone from supplying food to the rest of Africa, to having it imported.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 10:21:54 PM »

It's sad that thru the tyranny of that despot, Zimbabwe has gone from supplying food to the rest of Africa, to having it imported.

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:09:25 PM »

back in the day, when in italy the currency was "lira" (before euro) they had the 1000s sistem.
like a 10 000 liras would cover a cappuccino and a sandwich.
the notes were going far beyond 200 000 liras if I remember correctly.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: