Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Bonds makes history with 756th home run
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bonds makes history with 756th home run  (Read 11859 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« on: August 08, 2007, 12:16:12 AM »

Bonds makes history with 756th home run

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer

Barry Bonds hit No. 756 to the deepest part of the ballpark Tuesday night, and hammered home the point: Like him or not, legitimate or not, he is baseball's new home run king. Bonds broke Hank Aaron's storied record in the fifth inning, connecting on a 3-2 pitch from Washington's Mike Bacsik. Three days earlier, Bonds tied the Hammer with a shot to left-center in San Diego.

"Thank you very much. I got to thank all of you, all the fans here in San Francisco. It's been fantastic," he said shortly after crossing home plate, his godfather, Willie Mays, at his side.

"I got to thank my teammates. Through all of this, you've been strong and given me all the support I needed and I'll never forget it as long as I live."

After thanking his children, he said: "I'm glad I did it before you guys went to school."

To the Nationals, he said: "Thank you for understanding this game. It means a lot to me."

He saved his late father, Bobby, for last.

"To my dad," he said, his voice broke as he pointed to the sky. Through tears, he added, "Thank you for everything."

Conspicuous by their absence were the commissioner and Aaron himself.

Bud Selig was on hand for the tying homer, deciding to put baseball history ahead of the steroid allegations that have plagued the San Francisco Giants slugger. On this night, he sent an emissary, Major League Baseball executive vice president Jimmie Lee Solomon.

As for Aaron, he said all along he had no interest in being there whenever and wherever his 33-year-old mark was broken. He was true to his word, but he did offer a taped message of congratulations that played on stadium's video board.

"I move over now and offer my congratulations to Barry and his family," Aaron said.

Absent, too, were the fans who held up asterisk signs, sure that Bonds wasn't the real deal and that his power came from steroids.

Bonds didn't face such suspicions at AT&T Park, in front of a loyal, home crowd. Bonds has always denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs.

Yet even with Bonds at the top of the chart, fans will surely keep debating which slugger they consider the true home run champion. Some will continue to cling to Aaron while other, older rooters will always say it's Babe Ruth.

"It's all about history. Pretty soon, someone will come along and pass him," Mays said before the game.

A seven-time NL MVP, the 43-year-old Bonds hit his 22nd home run of the year. Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season record by hitting 73 in 2001 and while he's no longer such a force, opposing pitchers remain wary.

Bonds and Giants management bickered in the offseason over contract issues. This big night was the main reason owner Peter Magowan brought back the star left fielder for a 15th season in San Francisco, signing him to a $15.8 million, one-year contract.

Bonds' once-rapid quest for the record had slowed in recent years as his age and balky knees diminished his pace. He hit 258 home runs from 2000-04, but has only 53 since then.

While steroids have tinged Bonds' pursuit, it was race that was the predominant issue when Aaron broke Ruth's mark in 1974. Aaron dealt with hate mail and death threats from racist fans who thought a black man was not worthy of breaking the record set by a white hero, the beloved Babe.

Former commissioner Bowie Kuhn watched Aaron tie the record but was not present for the record-breaker, a slight that bothered many fans of Aaron. Selig is a close friend of Aaron's and offered Bonds tepid congratulations when he tied the record.

"I think Hank is his own man," Mays said. "I think if he wanted to be here he would be here."

"When he hit 715, the commissioner wasn't there," he said. "You may not blame him because he wasn't represented the right way."

Bonds was destined for stardom at an early age. The son of All-Star outfielder Bobby Bonds and the godson of one of the game's greatest players, Bonds spent his childhood years roaming the clubhouse at Candlestick Park, getting tips from Mays and other Giants.

"I visualized him playing sports at a high level. He was 5 when he was in my locker all the time," Mays said.

In a matter of years, Bonds went from a wiry leadoff hitter with Pittsburgh in 1986 to a bulked-up slugger. That transformation is at the heart of his many doubters, who believe Bonds cheated to accomplish his feats and should not be considered the record-holder.

There are plenty of fans already hoping for the day that Bonds' total ? whatever it ends up ? is topped. Alex Rodriguez may have the best chance, with his 500 home runs at age 32 far ahead of Bonds' pace.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070808/ap_on_sp_ba_ga_su/bbn_bonds756 

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »

Anyone think he should have an  *  by his name for the alleged steroid use?

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:32:11 AM »

Anyone think he should have an  *  by his name for the alleged steroid use?

No. Not for alleged used. But if it is found out that he did use then yes.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!? ?rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 01:34:57 AM »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant

LOL don't hide how ya feel now.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »

I was lucky enough to catch it on TV happening live... * or no *... It's cool to witness history!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 10:27:43 AM »

I honestly didn't think Id care but WOW, I got goosebumps and chills watching that.

Steroids or no steroids that is still an amazing feat.

No *

Baseball is a game of cheating in a lot of respects.

I dont understand why only Bonds is singled out and people like Roger Clemens get a free pass.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »

I want to know when Bud Selig developed his morals. If I'm not mistaken between he and Bonds, Selig is the only one to be proven guilty of a crime. His entire reign as commisioner has been a disgrace. From lifting Steinbrenners life time ban to the steroid scandal, a complete joke. Why wasn't he concerned about steroids back in the late 90s when the juiced up players were saving baseball from its worst attendance numbers in 2 decades? Congrats to Barry. Selig can go fuck off.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »

Congrats to one of the greatest players of all-time, and the best home run hitter there's ever been.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »

I want to know when Bud Selig developed his morals. If I'm not mistaken between he and Bonds, Selig is the only one to be proven guilty of a crime. His entire reign as commisioner has been a disgrace. From lifting Steinbrenners life time ban to the steroid scandal, a complete joke. Why wasn't he concerned about steroids back in the late 90s when the juiced up players were saving baseball from its worst attendance numbers in 2 decades? Congrats to Barry. Selig can go fuck off.

Vincent (after the no confidence vote, I think, but before actually LEAVING) actually lifted George's ban.  It went into EFFECT after Selig had assumed the acting commisioners role, but the ban was lifted in July of '92, with Vincent's signature on it...and went into effect in March of '93

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »

Im glad for Barry..Who cares, and for anyone who thinks he shouldnt be in the hall of fame...look at all of his other accomplishments, if you take away all of the homeruns he should still be in

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 09:25:02 PM »

a writer in the ny post called him "the sultan of syringe" rofl
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

allegedly.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 12:02:23 AM »

allegedly.

Allegedly?  Are you fucking serious??  Fuck Barry Bonds.  I haven't seen the home run, I refuse to buy into this bullshit.

Hall of Fame?  Yes.  He deserves it where mcGwire does not based on Bonds' pre-steroid performance.  Before 'roids he was the best player in the game.  The fucker got greedy and envious of the 'roid boys McGwire and Sosa.

I'm just happy A-Rod will smoke him in 7 or 8 years, then we won't have to worry about having an asterisk next to the number.   Cool   

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 12:11:36 AM »

allegedly.

Allegedly?  Are you fucking serious??  Fuck Barry Bonds.  I haven't seen the home run, I refuse to buy into this bullshit.

Hall of Fame?  Yes.  He deserves it where mcGwire does not based on Bonds' pre-steroid performance.  Before 'roids he was the best player in the game.  The fucker got greedy and envious of the 'roid boys McGwire and Sosa.

I'm just happy A-Rod will smoke him in 7 or 8 years, then we won't have to worry about having an asterisk next to the number.   Cool   

Well lets not get ahead of ourselves. Lots of players have declined steadily after 32 and hitting 500. Griffey ring a bell? We also have to see where the record ends up. Bonds doesn't seem ready to quit. So whoknows the number could be 800+. If arod can stay healthy and consistent i see no reason he can't shatter the record no matter what it ends up being when bonds quits.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 01:30:20 AM »

allegedly.

Well lets not get ahead of ourselves. Lots of players have declined steadily after 32 and hitting 500. Griffey ring a bell? We also have to see where the record ends up. Bonds doesn't seem ready to quit. So whoknows the number could be 800+. If arod can stay healthy and consistent i see no reason he can't shatter the record no matter what it ends up being when bonds quits.

am I mistaken or is Griffey having a great year? 26 HR? last year he had 27 total, about to surpass that. Now don't get me wrong he's not the kid he used to be, with injuries...but he's not 'declining' fast. he's just an aged veteran.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 01:35:42 AM »

allegedly.

am I mistaken or is Griffey having a great year? 26 HR? last year he had 27 total, about to surpass that. Now don't get me wrong he's not the kid he used to be, with injuries...but he's not 'declining' fast. he's just an aged veteran.

He did have those few years here was always injured which killed his chance at the record though.
LawsonsLaw007
Back in the saddle again
VIP

Follow me on Twitter! @SammyBoyDpk

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 01:52:24 AM »

it was cool seeing Hank Arron but i dont realy care about Bonds Smiley? Wink? Cheesy? Grin? Angry? Sad? Shocked? Cool? Huh? Roll Eyes? Tongue? Embarrassed? Undecided? Lips Sealed? Undecided? Kiss? Cry? yes? no? ok? peace? hihi? rofl? rant? love? nervous? confused? crying? smoking? beer? drool

Peace

Follow me on Twitter!! @SammyBoyDpk 15,000 followers can't be wrong!
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »

Over 30% of the players in the MLB were using steroids.  Mostly pitchers.  When a pitcher throws the ball faster, the hitter has a better ability to hit the ball farther.  Everyone was doing it.  Bonds may have done it.  But to say he should go to prison while Clemens and all the other guys get honors is just straight up bs.

Also, it's not uncommon for a older players to gain weight in their mid-30s then start hitting homeruns.  Tony Gwynn was never a home run hitter until he hit 35 and started belting HRs.  Willie Mays had his 3 best HR seasons from the ages of 33-35.  Hank Aaron's best HR season was at the age of 37.

Barry was a very common 40+ HR hitter during the 90s.  Just because the 73 season comes so out of the blue doesn't mean that it's not uncommon.  In comparison, Roger Maris was a very average home run hitter.  Before his 61 HR season, (which was his 10th) he only hit 30+ once.  And after his 61 HR season, he hit 30+ only one more time.  Does that automatically mean he was doing steroids too.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »

^ Have you read or seen excerpts from Game of Shadows?  I really think you may reconsider your outlook on Bonds being the rightful owner of the home run record when you look at all the facts. 

btw, as much as I detest Barry Bonds, the ultimate villain in all of this is Major League Baseball.  For about 20 years this crap has been going on and they just love it.  Stupid baseball fans eat it all up.  It's like fucking wrestling (no offense to wrestling fans because at least everybody knows there that the sport is all a show), home run after home run, baseball fans just lap it up.    Sad

Also, I'm a huge Gwynn fan so don't give me bullshit stats.  He hit 14 home runs in 1986.  He hit a career high 17 in 1997.  Big increase?  Bullshit.

Also, you said Bonds was a regular 40+ home run per season guy during the '90's...that just aint true.  He hit over 40 homers 3 times in that decade.  3 out of 10 seasons, with 47, 42, and 40 his highs.  6 seasons he was in the 30 hr range. 

I am the first person to admit he is a hell of a talent...but the 73 and 755+ numbers are tainted as fuck.

Don't give me the maris numbers either, that's bullshit.  Steroids weren't even around at that time.  The introduction of steroids on the pro scene according to several sources were the 1970's Pittsburgh Steelers.  The Iron Curtain.  Maris was a lefty that played at Yankee Stadium with a short right field porch.  His number was an anomaly that you can't chalk up to steroids. 

Bonds was as involved with Balco labs (suppliers of anabolic steroids that actually made cover up drugs to go with the stuff...ever heard of the Clean and the Clear?)    I am not making this stuff up.  He testified...in his own words he stated what he took.  He claims he didn't know what it was.  Everyone involved knows it was anabolic steroids.

Cut the bullshit and lies defending this scumbag.  Hall of Fame yes.  Talented player, yes.  All-time home run king?  Hell no!  rant 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »

^ Have you read or seen excerpts from Game of Shadows?? I really think you may reconsider your outlook on Bonds being the rightful owner of the home run record when you look at all the facts.?

Also, I'm a huge Gwynn fan so don't give me bullshit stats.? He hit 14 home runs in 1986.? He hit a career high 17 in 1997.? Big increase?? Bullshit.

Also, you said Bonds was a regular 40+ home run per season guy during the '90's...that just aint true.? He hit over 40 homers 3 times in that decade.? 3 out of 10 seasons, with 47, 42, and 40 his highs.? 6 seasons he was in the 30 hr range.?

I have not read Game of Shadows but have heard a lot of mixed reviews from many people both Bonds fans and anti-Bonds fans.  Considering much of the allegations come from his gold-digger ex-girlfriend, there's a bit of deniable plausibility there.

Bonds hit 46 in 1993, 42 in 96, 40 in 97, and 49 in 2000.  He broke the record in 2001 and admitting to using the cream during the 2003 season.  He's obviously not using it anymore...but still blasting HRs at 43 years old!!

You should brush up on your Gwynn stats.  In his first 15 years as a pro, Gwynn only had two seasons where he 10+ homeruns.  Then at the ripe old age of 37 he 17 home runs, the most home runs he ever hit in his career...that's the EXACT SAME AGE that Barry Bonds was when he hit the 73.  Gwynn went on to have 2 more 10+ HR seasons at ages 38 and 39.  Gwynn has more 10+ HR seasons after the age of 35 than before it.

I know Maris wasn't doing steroids...that's my point. 

The other big fact that no one is talking about is the fact that doing steroids for batters tends to actually make them slower and less likely to hit the ball.  That's why during the time of the supposed steroid use HRs went down overall. 

I'm not saying Barry Bonds didn't do steroids.  I don't know.  If I had to guess, I would say yes... but I'm not going to let the media make my mind up either.  If he did it, then so did Clemens, and hundreds other players.  They estimate that at least 50% of all ball players were taking some form of anabolic steroids and at least 80% were taking some sort of supplement.  Why do they get a free pass and why should Bonds be the one "who tainted baseball?" 

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 06:11:09 PM »

^^^As good ol' Axl once said, "Not to be an asshole..." you had said Bonds was a regular 40+ home run hitter throughout the '90's.  You gave 4 years including 2000.  The "'90's" includes '90 through '99.  3 out of 10 years were 40+.  6 were 30+.  He was a 30-something homer per year player before steroids.  Like I said, he was the best player in baseball before the steroids.  The juice was flat-out greed and that's why people are so disgusted by him.  McGwire is also a known steroid boy but he doesn't catch as much shit because he slunk away from baseball with his tail between his legs.  It was admission by omission.
  Also, you make Gwynn out to be some sort of changed hitter.  He had 14 homers in '86.  He had 17 in his best hr season in '97.  The "10+ homer" number is great too.  He had 10, 16, and 17 in those massive power years.  Did you ever consider where Tony hit in the lineup for the Padres?  Believe it or not, Gwynn was fast before he got fat.  He averaged about 37 stolen bases per year in the '80's.  He hit in the 1 and 2 slots primarily.  He was not asked to hit for power.  As he got older and slower they couldn't keep him in the same lineup slot...hence, the slight increase in homers and a definite increase in rbi's.     
  When it comes to Game of Shadows, I'm not referring to the heresay from a scorned lover.  I'm talking about the overwhelming evidence Barry was juicing.  BALCO.  The Clean and the Clear.  The writers weren't out to crucify Barry, they were there to expose the truth.  The thing is, the stories that you call heresay can be backed up by witnesses, receipts, etc.
  Yes, you are right about MLB being awash in steroids and banned substances.  It's part of the reason I don't follow baseball like I did when I was a kid.  To me, baseball is flawed.  If the NFL ever goes this way it will be a sad day.  Fortunately, they've been tough with their steroid policy...and lately, the code of conduct.  Just another reason football is now the best pro sport league in the United States.
  Is Barry the only guilty player?  Hell no!  He just broke a record held for 33 years with the aid of steroids.  Do steroids help a player hit a ball further?  Let me put it this way.    A wiry 6' 1" 185 pound guy (Barry's rookie vitals) will have a lot less chance of hitting 73 home runs than a 6' 1" 240 pound guy (73 home run steroid freak).  He has put on 55 pounds of chiseled muscle.  Did you see the physical transformation and do you think it was "all-natural?"  How 'bout Big Mac?  Lenny Dykstra?  Ken Camniti??  The list goes on and on.
  Baseball is a farce and yes, I agree that pitchers have been juicing as well.  ok 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 12:25:37 AM »

Congrats to one of the greatest players of all-time, and the best home run hitter there's ever been.

Wow!

He is not a great player.

Taking steroids = a disgrace to the game.

It is bull shit that he did not know what he was taking.

Also, steroids were banned in 1991 by MLB, does not matter if they were not testing; they were still banned.

Bonds = disgrace!

Fuck All Y'all
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: