Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:39:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Bonds makes history with 756th home run
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bonds makes history with 756th home run  (Read 12091 times)
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »

^ Have you read or seen excerpts from Game of Shadows?? I really think you may reconsider your outlook on Bonds being the rightful owner of the home run record when you look at all the facts.?

Also, I'm a huge Gwynn fan so don't give me bullshit stats.? He hit 14 home runs in 1986.? He hit a career high 17 in 1997.? Big increase?? Bullshit.

Also, you said Bonds was a regular 40+ home run per season guy during the '90's...that just aint true.? He hit over 40 homers 3 times in that decade.? 3 out of 10 seasons, with 47, 42, and 40 his highs.? 6 seasons he was in the 30 hr range.?

I have not read Game of Shadows but have heard a lot of mixed reviews from many people both Bonds fans and anti-Bonds fans.  Considering much of the allegations come from his gold-digger ex-girlfriend, there's a bit of deniable plausibility there.

Bonds hit 46 in 1993, 42 in 96, 40 in 97, and 49 in 2000.  He broke the record in 2001 and admitting to using the cream during the 2003 season.  He's obviously not using it anymore...but still blasting HRs at 43 years old!!

You should brush up on your Gwynn stats.  In his first 15 years as a pro, Gwynn only had two seasons where he 10+ homeruns.  Then at the ripe old age of 37 he 17 home runs, the most home runs he ever hit in his career...that's the EXACT SAME AGE that Barry Bonds was when he hit the 73.  Gwynn went on to have 2 more 10+ HR seasons at ages 38 and 39.  Gwynn has more 10+ HR seasons after the age of 35 than before it.

I know Maris wasn't doing steroids...that's my point. 

The other big fact that no one is talking about is the fact that doing steroids for batters tends to actually make them slower and less likely to hit the ball.  That's why during the time of the supposed steroid use HRs went down overall. 

I'm not saying Barry Bonds didn't do steroids.  I don't know.  If I had to guess, I would say yes... but I'm not going to let the media make my mind up either.  If he did it, then so did Clemens, and hundreds other players.  They estimate that at least 50% of all ball players were taking some form of anabolic steroids and at least 80% were taking some sort of supplement.  Why do they get a free pass and why should Bonds be the one "who tainted baseball?" 

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 06:11:09 PM »

^^^As good ol' Axl once said, "Not to be an asshole..." you had said Bonds was a regular 40+ home run hitter throughout the '90's.  You gave 4 years including 2000.  The "'90's" includes '90 through '99.  3 out of 10 years were 40+.  6 were 30+.  He was a 30-something homer per year player before steroids.  Like I said, he was the best player in baseball before the steroids.  The juice was flat-out greed and that's why people are so disgusted by him.  McGwire is also a known steroid boy but he doesn't catch as much shit because he slunk away from baseball with his tail between his legs.  It was admission by omission.
  Also, you make Gwynn out to be some sort of changed hitter.  He had 14 homers in '86.  He had 17 in his best hr season in '97.  The "10+ homer" number is great too.  He had 10, 16, and 17 in those massive power years.  Did you ever consider where Tony hit in the lineup for the Padres?  Believe it or not, Gwynn was fast before he got fat.  He averaged about 37 stolen bases per year in the '80's.  He hit in the 1 and 2 slots primarily.  He was not asked to hit for power.  As he got older and slower they couldn't keep him in the same lineup slot...hence, the slight increase in homers and a definite increase in rbi's.     
  When it comes to Game of Shadows, I'm not referring to the heresay from a scorned lover.  I'm talking about the overwhelming evidence Barry was juicing.  BALCO.  The Clean and the Clear.  The writers weren't out to crucify Barry, they were there to expose the truth.  The thing is, the stories that you call heresay can be backed up by witnesses, receipts, etc.
  Yes, you are right about MLB being awash in steroids and banned substances.  It's part of the reason I don't follow baseball like I did when I was a kid.  To me, baseball is flawed.  If the NFL ever goes this way it will be a sad day.  Fortunately, they've been tough with their steroid policy...and lately, the code of conduct.  Just another reason football is now the best pro sport league in the United States.
  Is Barry the only guilty player?  Hell no!  He just broke a record held for 33 years with the aid of steroids.  Do steroids help a player hit a ball further?  Let me put it this way.    A wiry 6' 1" 185 pound guy (Barry's rookie vitals) will have a lot less chance of hitting 73 home runs than a 6' 1" 240 pound guy (73 home run steroid freak).  He has put on 55 pounds of chiseled muscle.  Did you see the physical transformation and do you think it was "all-natural?"  How 'bout Big Mac?  Lenny Dykstra?  Ken Camniti??  The list goes on and on.
  Baseball is a farce and yes, I agree that pitchers have been juicing as well.  ok 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
J?
Kid In The Hall
Banned
VIP

Here Since January 11th 2002

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 12:25:37 AM »

Congrats to one of the greatest players of all-time, and the best home run hitter there's ever been.

Wow!

He is not a great player.

Taking steroids = a disgrace to the game.

It is bull shit that he did not know what he was taking.

Also, steroids were banned in 1991 by MLB, does not matter if they were not testing; they were still banned.

Bonds = disgrace!

Fuck All Y'all
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: