Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The problem : Listening to AFD after being crushed live by GN'R
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The problem : Listening to AFD after being crushed live by GN'R  (Read 6081 times)
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« on: September 03, 2007, 02:31:39 PM »

Before I start I'd like to say by GN'R I mean : GN'R now. Like in the present, these days, right now, 2001 - 2007, etc. etc.)

I played AFD the other day, and it was a while since it went to my stereo (Basically since we have heard the new songs I have almost never played something from AFD or the UYI's days).

But hey, I was working at home and cranked up the album. Then I realized something was wrong. I wasn't found of the album like I use to be say - 10 years ago - But why ?

Having heard almost all the AFD material played by GN'R (like a wole lot of us), I realized the way they played it was so good.

Faster, harder, louder ... It's like a wall of sound crashing you yes

Songs like Nightrain, It's So Easy or My Michelle are way better now than they were between 1987 - 1993 ( in my opinion Wink )

The guys really made those songs their own and they bring the best out of them. Plus Axl is so good vocally now, mixing his rasp with sometimes a cleaner voice ... It's just killer Cheesy

I wrote this in Dead Horse as it's not really new, but I wanted to have opinions about that. What do you gunners think ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:48:04 PM »

I think..... Axl may be better....but the music isn't. Alot of the time , well actually I'll say this the SOLO's aren't better. The music is replicated nicely but they can't nail the solo's and that kills it for me. AFD still owns.  Grin beer
wadey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:38:39 PM »

WTF!!! are you serious..... theres a lot more going on now like added riffs etc and the performance has been brought upto date a little......as for sounding better,  i dont think so!! ... appetite was raw and had the whole fucking rock world begging for more. you cant beat perfection...

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 03:44:33 PM »

WTF!!! are you serious..... theres a lot more going on now like added riffs etc and the performance has been brought upto date a little......as for sounding better,  i dont think so!! ... appetite was raw and had the whole fucking rock world begging for more. you cant beat perfection...

beer
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »

I've just listened to an 07 nightrain (17/07 in case your interested, just from my latest downloaded show) and AFD Nightrain. 

Personally, i prefer the AFD nightrain, it has more of a feel of desperation and desolation to it.  Technically it is better, yes, but the old one has a better feel to it.   

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »

Yea it has something you can't really put your finger on , the certain feel to it. I love the Chicago 92 Nightrain mannnnnn  beer
isa
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »

For me in my very personal opinion the AFD songs are ruined by the new members,  Angry
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »

The only problem with AFD is that like other classic records of the past it sounds kinda "low-fi" when played next to music that's been recorded on newer equipment.

Like if you listen to "Mr Brownstone" then listen to "Aint It Fun" you can hear how much better the mixing/recording of TSI was compared to AFD.

So i'd agree in that sence sometimes when you put on AFD after a bunch of other new rock for a second it can sound a bit tinny in the recording.. Not the songs themselves - just the calibre and quality of the recording. The solution to this I find is to tripple the volume and rock the hell out to the best songs ever!

However...I wouldn't agree that the new bands peformance of the songs is superior to AFD. Whilst bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist I don't care much for his live tone, I don't feel it suits the songs. Likewise I don't always care for Robin's interpretation of the lead parts on the records. In general I also feel the presence of a third guitarist seems to create problems with balance of sound in songs those songs that were designed and arranged for two parts. Sometimes it seems no one plays the start of a solo until someone steps in, and the rhythm section is at times overloaded.

However I'm a fan of the new line up when playing the material they helped compose as it seems to suit the style of the players and the composition of the band very well.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »

The only problem with AFD is that like other classic records of the past it sounds kinda "low-fi" when played next to music that's been recorded on newer equipment.

Like if you listen to "Mr Brownstone" then listen to "Aint It Fun" you can hear how much better the mixing/recording of TSI was compared to AFD.

So i'd agree in that sence sometimes when you put on AFD after a bunch of other new rock for a second it can sound a bit tinny in the recording.. Not the songs themselves - just the calibre and quality of the recording. The solution to this I find is to tripple the volume and rock the hell out to the best songs ever!

However...I wouldn't agree that the new bands peformance of the songs is superior to AFD. Whilst bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist I don't care much for his live tone, I don't feel it suits the songs. Likewise I don't always care for Robin's interpretation of the lead parts on the records. In general I also feel the presence of a third guitarist seems to create problems with balance of sound in songs those songs that were designed and arranged for two parts. Sometimes it seems no one plays the start of a solo until someone steps in, and the rhythm section is at times overloaded.

However I'm a fan of the new line up when playing the material they helped compose as it seems to suit the style of the players and the composition of the band very well.

Wow talk about summing it up in the most perfect sense.  beer I actually completely agree with someone here this is pretty amazing  Grin
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:02:53 AM »

I've just listened to an 07 nightrain (17/07 in case your interested, just from my latest downloaded show) and AFD Nightrain.?

Personally, i prefer the AFD nightrain, it has more of a feel of desperation and desolation to it.? Technically it is better, yes, but the old one has a better feel to it.? ?

I think Nightrain from RAR '06 is the best I have ever heard Wink

I like the fact that they play the material faster and harder.

By the way, I don't think that Nightrain from AFD feels like desperation and/or desolation Huh

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 06:26:12 AM »

Really?  It has the feel of life on the edge, and a desire to leave, one way or another.  I think so, anyway. 

And I've never heard it played as fast as the old guns sometimes played it live sometimes, either. 

I have the RaR 06 performance, and yes, it is good.  But i don't think it has the same feel to it. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

WTF!!! are you serious..... theres a lot more going on now like added riffs etc and the performance has been brought upto date a little......as for sounding better,? i dont think so!! ... appetite was raw and had the whole fucking rock world begging for more. you cant beat perfection...

just cause you add stuff to someone elses music doesnt make it better

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
CSS
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 11:13:21 AM »

Absolutely.

But he didn't say that.
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:45:45 AM »

Back then they all had there heart in it....They were young, free, and most of all..Found of eachother..The best tunes comes right then  ok

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 05:30:58 PM »

I agree with the first post. I miss Robin licks on SCOM solo, I miss the extended outro (I mean, the solo) and the faster tempo in Nightrain, I miss the hard approach to the already heavy OTGM and I miss the crazyness in PC.

But I rather go with Rocket Queen from AFD, tho. In fact, I think they never really did justice in live performances to the studio recording. Same goes to Patience, but that's another album... Smiley

wadey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 08:18:14 AM »

WTF!!! are you serious..... theres a lot more going on now like added riffs etc and the performance has been brought upto date a little......as for sounding better,? i dont think so!! ... appetite was raw and had the whole fucking rock world begging for more. you cant beat perfection...

learn to read,? go to specsavers and then start quoting people? hihi

btw... thanks beef jerkey  Wink

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 02:21:01 PM »

I agree with the original post. The old songs now are killer with the way they play them.  I think the biggest song thats different for me is Its So Easy.  But the AFD material live at the current GNRs concerts is way better.  Watch the Toyko UYI dvd's then if you see GNR today, to me today is way better.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 10:51:43 PM »

What's the point of going to a concert if you want people to replicate an album.

Save yourself the $90 and spin AFD.

Also, monkeychow, I don't agree with the hi-fi lo-fi argument.

The best albums ever were made with "primitive" technology. 
Jupa
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 05:31:06 PM »

I think GNR lineup at the moment is ,however this song they really f*cked up, Out Ta Get Me.? That is my favorite GNR song and as usual Richard nails the rhythm and then Finck plays his solo's terribly and whoever is playing at 2:38 has got to fix that up. (Bumlefoot maybe?)

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5wztIBQIQ
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:54:36 PM by Jupa » Logged
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »

I think GNR lineup at the moment is ,however this song they really f*cked up, Out Ta Get Me.  That is my favorite GNR song and as usual Richard nails the rhythm and then Finck plays his solo's terribly and whoever is playing at 2:38 has got to fix that up. (Bumlefoot maybe?)

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5wztIBQIQ
yea, that's Ron. But I like Finck's solo, though.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: