Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread  (Read 183051 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2005, 03:55:03 PM »

MTV.Com is reporting that a source close to the "Rock Star" TV show has claimed that the core VAN HALEN trio ? brothers Alex and Eddie Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony ? will be auditioning potential frontmen and women for the show's still-hypothetical second season. The winner would be stepping into the shoes previously worn by David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and (briefly) former EXTREME singer Gary Cherone.

The news follows weeks of rumors concerning potential "Rock Star" second-season bands, with VAN HALEN and even ALICE IN CHAINS being the popular frontrunners. Earlier this week, a spokesperson for ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell scoffed at the notion that the band would even consider appearing on the show.

On Tuesday (Oct. 18), "Rock Star: INXS" co-host and former JANE'S ADDICTION guitarist Dave Navarro declined to discuss the show's future or confirm whether he's been approached to reprise his role for a second season. However, he did say, "VAN HALEN would be awesome ? I'd just love to sit and hang with Ed."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2005, 12:49:44 AM »

Someone needs to slap Eddie Van Halen across the face.  What would be really cool is if Roth dressed up in disguise and won the competition.  All he needs is a pair of glasses and a fake mustache.  Eddie'll probably be so drunk he won't know what's going on.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2005, 02:15:31 PM »

I didn't watch that Rock Star programme - but i caught a few bits - couldn't decide if i thought the whole idea was evil corporate America nonsense or if it was full of talented people helping rock back into the mainstream

It would be good tv to see Van Halen on there - hell, they are so pased it i can't imagine it would do them much harm

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »

MTVNews has issued the following statement regarding the reports that VAN HALEN may audition potential singers in a possible second season of the reality television series "Rock Star":

"VAN HALEN will not be taking INXS' lead by participating in a possible second season of the reality television series 'Rock Star', according to the band's spokesperson.

"MTV News erroneously reported Wednesday [Oct. 19] that a source close to the program claimed that if 'Rock Star' does return for a second season, that the core VAN HALEN trio ? Michael Anthony and brothers Alex and Eddie Van Halen ? would be the band auditioning potential singers. The band flatly denies any involvement in the show.

"MTV News had also previously reported that a spokesperson for VAN HALEN said the band had no comment regarding pending projects. However, that spokesperson was never asked specific questions regarding the group's hypothetical involvement with the 'Rock Star' show; MTV News regrets the oversight.

"VAN HALEN had been the subject of recent speculation concerning potential 'Rock Star' second-season bands. The same rumors swirled about ALICE IN CHAINS, but a spokesperson for guitarist Jerry Cantrell scoffed at the notion the band would even consider appearing on the show."

RichardNixon
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2005, 12:09:37 AM »

I listened to OU812 for the first time in about five years. Good CD.  ok

Anyone here a fan of Dave's EAT EM AND SMILE" GREAT, GREAT ALBUM!
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2005, 03:34:31 PM »

MTV.com is reporting that former VAN HALEN frontman "Diamond" David Lee Roth will be taking his game to the morning airwaves as one of several celebrity talents recruited to replace satellite-bound shock jock Howard Stern beginning on January 3.

Roth was a much-hyped mystery guest on Stern's nationwide radio show on Tuesday (October 25), where the rocker revealed his will be the voice greeting Stern regulars the morning of January 3 ? at least in several of the markets comprising the self-proclaimed King of All Media's syndicated, 27-station kingdom, an empire Stern has spent decades building.

Roth ? whose announcement ends months of rumors over just who'd be filling Stern's immense kicks ? will take over in New York, Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dallas and West Palm Beach, Florida. "You've built quite an empire here, and I'd like to think that they've saved it for the best guy," Roth told Stern. "It will be a very interesting adventure."

Stern, who joked that he should look into fronting VAN HALEN, surmised that Roth's move was a step down from his rock star stature. Stern also said he's "done what [he] needed to do here," and that he needed "freedom to speak about what I want, and I have to be free to do my type of comedy. I'm happy for you and I do wish you the best."

RichardNixon
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2005, 06:56:14 AM »

I'm a huge Dave fan and am happy for Roth. I hope he can pull it off. 15 hours of Roth a week may seem like a lot! Grin
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2005, 10:35:59 PM »

I think Dave will do well, he has a personality to be sucsessful on radio.

Hell, what else does he have going on right now?

Wish Eddie and Dave would patch things up though  Cry

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2005, 09:31:04 AM »

I thought that album sucked - considerably

So uninspired - and Steve Vai is buried in the mix - always thought Vai was awful, but u can't even tell what he's up to half the time. He takes such a subdued role u wonder if that was Dave's way of asserting his dominace over the band having just been fired.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
RichardNixon
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2005, 06:16:04 PM »

So uninspired - and Steve Vai is buried in the mix - always thought Vai was awful, but u can't even tell what he's up to half the time. He takes such a subdued role u wonder if that was Dave's way of asserting his dominace over the band having just been fired.....

Dave wasn't fired, he quiet. Anyway, I love "Eat em and Smile, a total classic. Easily as good as any thing VH ever put out.
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2005, 05:38:22 PM »

Dave wasn't fired, he quiet. Anyway, I love "Eat em and Smile, a total classic. Easily as good as any thing VH ever put out.

More like a watered down version of VH. ok

Top three VH albums?
VH 1
Fair Warning
RichardNixon
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »

More like a watered down version of VH. ok

Top three VH albums?
VH 1
Fair Warning

VH1 and Fair Warning are masterpieces. But I'd swap WACF in place of 1984.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2005, 12:27:03 AM »

Just three questions, my amigos.

1.- What does VH1  -- the van halen album -- has to do with the television channel?

2.- What is David Lee Roth, currently doing these days?

3.- What are the chances that David, gets back to Van Halen?

Well I hope you reply these ones, Gracias muchas Gracias, su amigo Carlit
RichardNixon
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2005, 02:12:38 AM »

1.- What does VH1? -- the van halen album -- has to do with the television channel?

1. VH1 is short for "Van Halen," Van Halen's self titled debut. There is also "Van Halen II," (VH2) and "Van Halen 3" (VH3). Nothing to do with the station.

2. Dave will be replacing Howard Stern in some East Coast markets--Boston, New York, Philly among others.

3. There was a reunion in '96 that failed, and 2000. But who knows?

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2005, 10:35:10 PM »

I think the only feasable way for VH to come back is with Dave. Obviously from the fallout from last summer's tour its not gonna work with Sammy again. And doing a reality show to find a singer like INXS did would make them a parody of their former selves.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »

1.- What does VH1? -- the van halen album -- has to do with the television channel?

1. VH1 is short for "Van Halen," Van Halen's self titled debut. There is also "Van Halen II," (VH2) and "Van Halen 3" (VH3). Nothing to do with the station.

2. Dave will be replacing Howard Stern in some East Coast markets--Boston, New York, Philly among others.

3. There was a reunion in '96 that failed, and 2000. But who knows?

Thanks Mr Ex President
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2006, 11:48:33 AM »

Kim Lyons of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review interviewed former VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth regarding his new gig as a radio DJ, taking over the coveted morning drive time slot vacated by Howard Stern. Diamond Dave talked about the radio show, his job as an emergency medical technician in New York City, cheekless pants and pretty much everything else on his mind. The question-and-answer session follows:

Q: Howard Stern had a pretty risque format, to put it mildly. How much do you think your show will resemble his?

David: Not at all. I'm not even remotely close to Stern. I'm not a humorist; I'm not a comic; I'm not a comedian. My sense of humor has teeth ? that makes me perfect for the inner city. Just like you, I'm a (expletive) cynic. You'll never get tired of listening to me speak your mind.

Q: So you won't be going just for laughs.

David: The difference between me and a comedian, I don't try ? comedians are desperate for the funny. With me, you either get it or you didn't.

Q: It sounds like you have a plan of how you want things to go, but not a schedule, or a format, true?

David: It will be completely my way and not resemble anything that's ever been on the radio. What other voice can ingratiate and infuriate the liberal arch left ? of which I am a card-carrying member ? and the NASCAR nation ? of which I am a card-carrying member?

Q: What's the latest VAN HALEN news? Do you still talk to those guys?

David: I talked to the drummer (Alex Van Halen) about a week ago. And I think, eventually, the inevitable will happen.

Q: You mean a reunion?

David: Sure. And it definitely won't be rockers with walkers. Getting onstage and singing "Dance the Night Away" ? let me tell you how difficult that isn't going to be. When people bring up VAN HALEN, I talk about it with pride and with no apprehension at all. I play those songs all the time.

Q: Not to get too off-topic, but is it true that you've been working as an emergency medical technician in New York?

David: I got my badge about year and a half ago, and I've worked in all five boroughs, mainly at night. I speak fluent Spanish, so I am often sent where that is an asset. I've seen this city from the inside out. How many other DJs do you know have delivered a baby? I'm on my fourth.

Q: What are you hoping to do with the radio show?

David: Every fourth week, we're going to up and move wherever ? whether it's the Grammys or the Superbowl ? all the bastions of sin and degradation.

Q: Including Pittsburgh, of course.

David: Absolutely. I am going to visit everywhere we play on the air. It's a performance, after all.

Q: Your, um, unique background will serve you well on the radio, then?

David: It's curious what qualifies both Stern and myself to do the same job. He's a family man who has spent the last 20 years in a small little studio and did quite well. I've spent the last 30 years leading a life of crime and international intrigue, so perhaps I'm overqualified.

Q: Will you be wearing those cheekless pants on the air? And, how will we know?

David: Let's face it, I look better in (cheekless) chaps than Al Franken ever (expletive) would.

Q: And what do you think will keep people tuning in every morning?

David: I'll tell people this: it'll give them a good reason to slap a little bourbon in their coffee. You'll get a bottomless cup of attitude, and the second one's free.

Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »

I don't have high hopes for the radio show, but that part about a VH reunion being inevitable was good to hear.  I'd much rather see him back with Eddie and Co. than on the friggin' radio.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2006, 12:39:08 PM »

David Lee ROth definitely must be there.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2006, 08:42:22 AM »

According to The New York Daily News, former VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth once again called for a reunion of the band's original lineup during his "Roth Radio" show on Tuesday (Feb. 14).

"People want the reunion," said Roth. "No one will pay respect to what any of us do [musically] until we get the reunion out of the way.

"Once Eddie [Van Halen] does that, everything else he does can be seen with a fresh eye."

Roth made no secret of his own enthusiasm for a reunion tour, indicating he'd already gotten the okay from CBS Radio executives to take a leave of absence if such a tour happened.

"VAN HALEN would go out for three months," he said. "That's all Eddie could handle. And then the next morning, I'd be back at this mic at 6 a.m."

A tour would also pay well. Roth said the band already has offers on the table for $1 million a show.

However much Roth may want the band to reunite, however, he wasn't using sweet talk yesterday to make it happen.

He compared Eddie Van Halen to Sly Stone, whose brief and ragged appearance on last week's Grammy telecast rekindled reports of substance abuse.

What's happened with Van Halen "may be on a par with what's happened with Sly Stone," said Roth.

Roth also dismissed recent VAN HALEN shows as "lite rock" and said touring with a singer hired from a TV search would make the band "a novelty act."

He said the situation was different with INXS, the first band on "Rock Star", "because their original lead singer was dead."

He suggested the main reason anyone would watch VAN HALEN on "Rock Star" would be "the Gong Show factor ... seeing who screws up the most."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: