Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:19:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007-2008 NBA Season
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007-2008 NBA Season  (Read 89134 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 11:10:30 PM »

That Mavs trade didn't go through.  Devean George blocked it to retain his "Larry Bird" rights.

I have a feeling he will "unblock" this trade because he's pretty much going to be run out of town. Did you see the game he had after the news of him blocking the trade came out? He got boo'd so much, was 0-11, I seriously doubt that team is happy at him blocking that trade and those fans are going to give him a really really hard time each home game they have. Obviously they got to him because he missed every shot of that game, all in all expect the trade to go through
It's the smartest move for him to make to block the trade so I don't think he cares if the fans boo him out of town.  He loses a lot of leverage and money if he lets the trade go through, so I think he'll be able to block out the fans.  The deal could still get done without him losing his rights though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »

comments?

well u coulda used the nba thread ok

I'm a non-conformist.  ok

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 08:14:28 AM »

How  about Lakers Vs Celtics in the 2008 NBA finals?

I wish, I hope. David Stern surely does hope too since I dont think NBA has gotten good ratings since the bulls won their last title.

Right now the lakers having added Gasol to their roster sure gives them an edge over any team in the Western Conference. Before Gasol, the Lakers were 30 and 16. With the spaniard the lakers have gone 5 - 1. Gasol will make things much easier for the lakers in every sense of the game. Not only he's a consistent guy who drops in 20 points and grabs 9 boards per game, but he also understands the triangle offense as meant to be run.

Gasol can pass the ball well also as he reads the offense like no big man in the NBA. When Bynum comes back, the lakers will be a tremendous force as Pau will have a bit more freedom to play, not only in the paint, but also outside. Also, Kobe seems to be a bit more relieved as he didnt even have to score big points in the first two games having Gasol running the offense with him. On this note, Kobe and Pau seem like they've played together for an eternity...did you guys see those pick and rolls?

The only problem I see with the lakers is the defensive end. Gasol doesnt read defense as well as offense. He usually has a few blocks per game but that's normally cause he's just a big fella down the paint. When a small forward or a shooting guard cuts to the basket, Gasol is usually miles away. I hope the Lakers work on that. Also, during some stages, the lakers have ruined  +10 point differences in less than two minutes due to concentration lapses. Kobe and Fisher are not the best defenders in the NBA, so that leaves a lot of work for the big guys inside to cover. Lamar Odom and Radmanovic are not the strongest defenders either...I'm hoping Bynum comes back as soon as possible as the lakers defense now is weak.

As for the Suns...well, the did move quick when the lakers traded pau in, but I dont really think Shaq has it anymore. The guy is 36 years old, has sat out more than he's played in the past few years...I don't think his contribution will be key to this team. On this regard, it may even be more disavantageous for the Suns to execute their offense with a liability like Shaq. Shaquille is not Kurt Thomas...is a but heavier. On the positive side, Shaq has won 4 NBA titles...experience and motivation to do it again are there. We'll see..

The Mavs are the eternal contenders but they just blow it year after year. I don't think they have a chance...team seems has gotten a little bit worse year in year out. And the Spurs, well..the spurs are the spurs. They always have a mediocre regular season but when the playoffs start, their game gets way better. The Spurs will always be contenders as long as they mantain this line up. They are the toughest, roughest competitors of all...

And the Eastern conference? It's always a mistery. The Celtics can pull it off...but that's about it. Orlando is a strong team, but if they played in the Western Conference, they wouldnt win more than 30 matches per year. Toronto is a well balanced team, not to mention, the best point guard in the conference plays there (Calder?n) but they need someone big to help Bosh inside.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:17:27 AM by Ignatius » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 08:37:30 AM »

Kobe's got a pretty serious injury, don't know exactly how it'll effect his play but that can't be a good sign for the Lakers.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »

And the Eastern conference? It's always a mistery. The Celtics can pull it off...but that's about it. Orlando is a strong team, but if they played in the Western Conference, they wouldnt win more than 30 matches per year. Toronto is a well balanced team, not to mention, the best point guard in the conference plays there (Calder?n) but they need someone big to help Bosh inside.

One thing isn't a mystery:  The Detroit Pistons.  They are the class of the East... like the Spurs, they just go out there and win.  They've got the playoff (and championship experience), they've won 10 straight games, they're only 3 back of Boston and they fly in under the radar for some reason.

In Gilbert Arenas' latest blog he takes a shot at everyone who thinks Calderon should be in the all-star game.... Raps fans aren't too happy about it.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »

One thing isn't a mystery:  The Detroit Pistons.  They are the class of the East... like the Spurs, they just go out there and win.  They've got the playoff (and championship experience), they've won 10 straight games, they're only 3 back of Boston and they fly in under the radar for some reason.

In Gilbert Arenas' latest blog he takes a shot at everyone who thinks Calderon should be in the all-star game.... Raps fans aren't too happy about it.

Gilbert Arenas is full of it. Really.

He talks about how "This is an All Star game, C'mon" and Calderon shouldn't be there cause he is a nobody..and then he mentions how great David West is!! David who???

I dont remember, but didnt Arenas had some kind of feud with Calderon last year? It does ring a bell...

Back up point guards who play 12 minutes per match could have a good assist/turnover ratio, but Calderon is playing 38 minutes day after day since TJ is out. Pretty hard to mantain if you ask me. If you look at the guy's numbers since TJ's injury, Calderon is on 16 points and 10 assists (now his numbers are 13 and 9). He's now 5th in assists per game amongst the entire league..bearing in mind he only averages 31 minutes per game (throughout the entire season).

Sure Calderon is not as spectacular as Chris Paul, Nash, Iverson...but he is consistant and makes his team play better. An ALL STAR game should be expose not only the most famous players but the BEST players this season! I believe Calderon should've been picked..did Billups or Hamilton really played better than Calderon this season??

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 01:35:01 PM »

Gilbert Arena's should talk...he is no household name either....if he was out west he might not even make the All-Star team...I know damn well that Deron Williams should be on it, and I would take him on my team over Arena's anyday of the week
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »

I hope Stern lets Kobe skip the All-Star game, so he can rest his pinkie.

I would love to see a Lakers/Celtics Finals match up.  But as Eazy said, the Pistons will decimate the Celtics when given the opportunity.  The Celtics are very overrated, and they used up all their bullets in the first half of the year.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

I hope Stern lets Kobe skip the All-Star game, so he can rest his pinkie.

I would love to see a Lakers/Celtics Finals match up.  But as Eazy said, the Pistons will decimate the Celtics when given the opportunity.  The Celtics are very overrated, and they used up all their bullets in the first half of the year.
I can understand how people might think the C's are overrated but I don't necessarily agree with it.  They're 41-9, best record in the league.  Sure they play in the East, but they're a perfect 16-0 against the Western Conference.  They've split with the Pistons so far.  Detroit is a solid team but they've folded in the playoffs to inferior squads the last 2 seasons (Miami and Cleveland).  The C's have withstood injuries to Ray Allen and notable KG recenlty, going 7-2 without him.  When he was healthy KG was averaging the lowest number of minutes played (35.1) since his rookie season so he should be fresh down the stretch.  And remember this was pretty much a brand new team coming into the season.  I don't care how good the "big 3" are, there had to be an adjustment period for them and the rest of the team.  I'd say they can only get more comfortable playing with each other down the stretch.  So I find it hard to believe that they've used all their bullets here in the first half.  We'll see though.  They've got a long, tough west coast swing starting off the 2nd half.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2008, 12:15:20 PM »

I believe Calderon should've been picked..did Billups or Hamilton really played better than Calderon this season??

He's also in the top 3 of field goal % for point guards, no question in my mind that he should be a reserve.  I don't understand how Wade starts in the all-star game when his team hasn't even won 10 games.

Also...

That was one hell of a DUNK CONTEST!!!  Best (or maybe better than) Vince Carter in 2000!

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »

I agree that was one heckuva show put on by Dwight Howard.  The style, the showmanship, the creativity.  But let's be honest, that Superman dunk wasn't really a dunk.  He threw the ball through the hoop because he didn't have enough air to reach the rim.  He's just lucky it went in.  I'm sure most couldn't tell until seeing the replay, but upon further review, not so sure it deserved a 50 for that reason alone.  Gerald Green did a pretty good job defending his title too.  Too bad that's all he'll be known for in his NBA career.

G2N2R
Rocker

Just a little? Maybe a LIL more...

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »

I wasn't even planning on watching the dunking contest as it has pretty much been a snooze fest the past few years, but I was just skipping through channels and came upon it and decided nothing better was on so i'd give it a try.. and WOW. I was hooked from the start, Howard made it enjoyable to watch and very entertaining. I thought that Green's "birthday cake" dunk should have recieved more points as it was very creative and looked much better on replay then in live action.

I agree he didn't really "dunk" the ball on his Superman jump, but it was still awesome regardless. And really creative on his part, loved that when he took off the jersey to reveal his Superman outfit, Howard is the new Clark Kent! He def. deserved to win, as he did last year too, and i'm looking forward to seeing him in it next year to defend his title as slam dunk champion.  peace

I can't live without my train, my laptop, or my incredible urge to dance without my pants!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 07:21:10 PM »

Yeah, Howard really was great the last 2 years.  Gerald Green too.  I agree the birthday cake dunk didn't get enough props from the judges.  The dude's head was above the rim to blow out that candle.  The dunk contest has been revived these past 2 years.  I'd say, what more can they do?  But they came up with some impressive stuff this year, so there's still hope.

russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »

I agree that was one heckuva show put on by Dwight Howard.  The style, the showmanship, the creativity.  But let's be honest, that Superman dunk wasn't really a dunk.  He threw the ball through the hoop because he didn't have enough air to reach the rim.  He's just lucky it went in.  I'm sure most couldn't tell until seeing the replay, but upon further review, not so sure it deserved a 50 for that reason alone.  Gerald Green did a pretty good job defending his title too.  Too bad that's all he'll be known for in his NBA career.

good lord, it looks as if he took off from the mid court line, of course he threw it down. Who could be above the rim for 10 seconds?

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:38 AM »

I thuoght his third dunk was the best though.. when he passed himself then tapped back to the backboard and dunk it with the other hand
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »

mavs got kidd after all
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2008, 06:25:15 PM »

Dallas being my fav team since 2001, I am thrilled with this trade.

Devin Harris is quick and a good defender but he has no leadership and limited passing skills. He makes noone better therefore Dirk has to work very very very hard to get good looks.

Jason Kidd is a walking triple double and will make everything easy for Dallas. Dirk can concentrate on playing now and not being a leader or playmaker.

Kidd brings toughness, game control and great overall skill to this team.

The fact Dallas didn't lose Jerry Stackhouse or Devean George is also a plus.

People get pointing at how they gave up Diop, but he wasn't playing much anyway with the emergence of Brandon Bass and plus, I think getting Kidd for Harris and Diop is a steal.

I bet Dampier even becomes more productive on the offensive end with Kidd running the Point.

Jason Kidd
Eddie Jones
Josh Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Erick Dampier

Thats a damn strong formidable team right there

Stackhouse
Jason Terry
Brandon Bass
Devean George

Off the bench

pretty damn deep!

What we should do now is go sign Gary Payton to play backup PG.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »

^ I don't disagree (as a Mavs fan myself), but I do think that they gave up too much. I especially do not believe in mortgaging the future for a window of opportunity that spans at most this year and next. Kidd will make everyone better, but whether the Mavs can win it all, I am not convinced. I sort of have doubts about Avery Johnson. He was out-coached the last two years in the playoffs by Riley and then Nelson, both with inferior teams. So whether the team is good enough to overcome that shortcoming remains to be seen.

Hey D, where do you live in Dallas metroplex?

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »

... and another blockbuster trade goes through!  It seems people are getting a little more excited about the NBA after shuffling around Garnett, Shaq, Gasol and Kidd.

Mavs fans correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they pass on signing Nash because he would be too old by the end of his contract?  and now they've traded for an aging point guard?

confused

Can't wait to watch a double-header of Raps/Magic and Lakers/Suns tomorrow night.
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »

^ the main worry was that he would break down--he is small and fragile--and would not be able to finish the contract.
You have to admit, Cuban made a huge huge mistake in letting Nash go.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: