Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007-2008 NBA Season
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007-2008 NBA Season  (Read 89054 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #400 on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »

I agree Faldor that KG is a pheonomenal talent.

I say he is overrated only because of the free pass everyone gives him.

He should dominate Pau Gasol. Gasol cannot guard him in the post. Garnett however is content with being a Scottie Pippen type when he should be the Jordan. He has every skill, every tool and all the ability to be unstoppable but he stops himself and lets the other team off the hook.

That is why I am so hard on him.

Paul Pierce has really stepped his game up in the finals and is finally earning some of the respect he deserves. Here is a guy who floated in obscurity because of a horrible team. Now the world is seeing what a great player he is.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »

You're right about Pierce.  He has been a great talent for years but hasn't gotten the respect he deserved.  I've got friends who are Celtic fans who have statec how much Pierce has sucked, and how he's not even among the top 30 players in the NBA.  They've changed their minds now though and he's finally getting the respect he deserves. 
People were shocked at Bob Ryan's comment that Pierce is the best scorer in Celtics history.  Tommy Heinsohn, a Celtic legend and broadcaster for 20+ years was saying that years ago.  He's right up there with Bird.
One more thing on KG. I heard this this morning, and it surprised me.  He has scored over 500 points this post-seaon, and only one other Celtic has ever done that, Larry Bird.  Obviously he's played more post-season games with the best of 7's all the way through and the 2 game 7's.  I would've thought Pierce would have more points than KG though.  Maybe I heard it wrong, I swear they said KG though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #402 on: June 16, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »

Here's my take, if anyone cares.

Duncan is great, and he only won 2 with Robinson, not 3.

Allen Iverson is a punk and I can't stand that homo, but he's really good, especially considering he's like 27ppg for his career and he's 6' tall.

On another note, I've been gone for a while. The Lakers are horrible for blowing that lead, I thought that game was dust. I love how they blowed it though as I can't stand them.

They also were very fortunate last night.

Celtics will get it game 6.

It's over people. Terrible defense by the Lakes. Over baby

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #403 on: June 16, 2008, 12:25:33 PM »

Tough pill for LA to swallow,t hey should be up 3-2

Iverson is a horrible teammate.

The superstar sets the tone for the entire team

If the superstar doesnt want to practice and do the right things it takes to win, the other guys 2-15 arent going to either.

Paul Pierce is nowhere near Larry Bird either. that is just ridiculous. Bob Ryan, hyperbole, prisoner of the moment etc.

Bird did it consistently for years, Pierce has to do it a few more times to get in that company.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #404 on: June 16, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »

they should be, they could be... they aren't

they blew a 24 point lead, the biggest ever, and it was a later lead they blew.

They lost and are down 3-2.

And they series "should" be over 4-1 with defense like that.

It doesn't matter though, they aren't winning this series you can bank on that, they just extended their defeat. 4-2 Celtics.

But don't damn me
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #405 on: June 16, 2008, 04:36:01 PM »

Nobody would argue that Pierce is as good a PLAYER as Bird.  The statement was that Pierce was the best SCORER.  Obviously Bird was a much better passer, rebounder, shooter, and overall player.  But Pierce is right up there with as a scorer.  He's obviously loads more athletic than Larry was and has played in an era where they actually play some defense.  Back in the 80's defense was an afterthought.  Pierce has also had much less support over the years.  His best running mate before this year was Antoine Walker for a couple years but never really had a viable 3rd option.  And don't het me started on the PG's he's played with, and big men for that matter. Trust me, Bob Ryan and Tommy Heinsohn are not out of their minds for thinking Paul is the best SCORER in Celtics history.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #406 on: June 16, 2008, 06:27:52 PM »

YEAH they are pretty much out of their minds.

Bird is in an entirely different league than Pierce as far as shooting ability is concerned. Bird was so unselfish and had he been a ballhog, he wouldve won tons of scoring titles.

Bob Ryan and people like that get caught in a moment and try to hype stuff to get it more over.

just like a couple of years ago when Greg Anthony said the Pistons, who were on pace to win 70 games could beat the 96 Bulls.

just dumb shit to hype the era and moment.

People forget how great Jordan was, how great Bird was when they make stupid statements like Kobe is Jordan and this and that.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #407 on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »

I think the Lakers are afraid of winning, I really do.

WTF is up with blowing TWO double digit leads!?

The Lakers lucked away with a win, at least the Celtics can celebrate at the Garden.

(AI and 'melo have found each other.  Two street thugs who will never win at a professional level.  Fuck them.)

Ouch!  Why are you hatin' on Melo?  When did Carmelo become a thug?  AI yes, I can understand that label, but Melo?  No way.  

I agree with D on AI's not being a great team player...but he's still an amazing scorer, always has been.  Can a team win a championship with him?  If it has the right components, yes.  Is it likely?  No.  Is it possible in Denver with Carmelo around?  Hell no.

btw, Flador's right.  Ryan said scorer, not player.

Anybody else get a little misty-eyed when Bill Walton spoke with his son Luke at halftime last night?  I'm a softy, I thought it was great.  I've always respected that big goofy-lookin' guy.  He has always told it like it is.  He also wears his emotions on his sleeve.  I respect him immensely for that.   yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #408 on: June 16, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »

Axl4prez did u see the "NO SNITCH" video Carmelo Anthony participated in? Basically a pro criminal tape telling kids not to snitch on drug dealers or gang members?

That is horrible.

Or the way he turned pussy and ran from 4 foot tall Nate Robinson.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #409 on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »

Axl4prez did u see the "NO SNITCH" video Carmelo Anthony participated in? Basically a pro criminal tape telling kids not to snitch on drug dealers or gang members?

That is horrible.

Or the way he turned pussy and ran from 4 foot tall Nate Robinson.

Dude, that's heart-breaking, I didn't see that. 

On the fight thing though, was that the time he took a cheapshot punch and then ran?  I'm just anti-violence period, that's a shame if true.  Embarrassed

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #410 on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »

yeah, that video was right before he got drafted i think

And he sucker punched a knick then ran from Nate Robinson. It was quite pathetic.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #411 on: June 16, 2008, 08:16:03 PM »

yeah, that video was right before he got drafted i think

And he sucker punched a knick then ran from Nate Robinson. It was quite pathetic.

The skirmish at the Garden.

He's one of those guys who talks a lot, but he's just a big pussy.

I could take him.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #412 on: June 17, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »

Melo is a thug, so is Iverson, what else can you say?

But don't damn me
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #413 on: June 17, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »

Melo is a thug, so is Iverson, what else can you say?

GAME ON!!! hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #414 on: June 17, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »

^

hahaha never figured u for a Nugget/AI fan. please tell me u sleep with that big ass stuffed animal every night.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #415 on: June 17, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

please tell me u sleep with that big ass stuffed animal every night.

Back in the day, you bet Grin

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #416 on: June 18, 2008, 12:01:41 AM »

The Celtics deserved to win.

Congratulations to them and their fans.
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #417 on: June 18, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »

TOTAL DOMINATION!!! THE CELTICS ARE CHAMPIONS AGAIN!!!! After watching the celtics play through bad years, tough losses, and the play-off troubles its great to see Paul Pierce and the Boston Celtics as champions.

Watched the game with the family and as I am drinking now and waiting for our "designated driver" to show up to celebrate I thought I would share my thoughts.

Paul Pierce may be the MVP of the finals but the Celtics dominated tonight because Rajon Rondo played the game of his life. Its great to see Garnett finally get a championship. I always thought he was a great player and he deserves to be called a champion. The same thing can be said about Ray Allen.

Doc Rivers did a great coaching job. Motivating and bringing these 3 egos together to sacrifice for a championship. He deserves to be called a Champion as well. He said in an interview after the game that there are great coaches who never won championships because they never had the talent. It takes not only great talent but a guy that can coach that talent.

After the game Michael Wilbon said I won't talk too much about how bad the lakers played because the main reason they played so bad was because the Celtics were just that much better than them. The Celtics were the better team.

WE BEAT L.A.!!!! WE BEAT L.A.!!!! WE BEAT L.A.!!!! smoking
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:10:21 AM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #418 on: June 18, 2008, 08:14:56 AM »

I agree on Doc.

He deserves a ton of credit for this season, and this championship.  He brought 3 stars together, got them to put their egos on the back burner, and got them to buy into his system and the idea that defense can win championships.  Watching this team, this season, reminded me a LOT of watching a really good college team develop and progress toward an NCAA title...and a LOT of that is because of the job Doc Rivers did.  He took a LOT of heat in Boston, especially after last year...but he's redeemed himself big time with the job he did for the C's this season. 

Garnett, last night, did exactly what D says he doesn't do:  He stepped up and led the team.  He pushed around Gasol.  He played tough, tenacious defense.  He provided HUGE leadership on the floor.  He did everything his critics have said he doesn't do.....  He may not score 35 to 40 a night, but he doesn't have to.   He does a lot of OTHER things that take over the game, and he did 'em all last night.

I was glad to see Pierce get the Finals MVP trophy.  I think it could have gone to him, or Garnett (and even Allen could make a case) but I think, all things being equal, Paul gets the nod because of what he's meant to this team over the past years....and how long he's been with them.  I know...all that stuff shouldn't matter.  But when the stats are THAT close...you have to go to the intangibles like that.  And hey...Garnett can win his next year Smiley .

One other thing:  For awhile, at least, we can put the Jordan/Kobe comparisons to rest....and I'm as guilty of making them as everyone else.  Someone talked, when we were talking about Jordan, that he'd "never have a game like that" when discussing Lebron.  Well, ditto with Kobe.  Jordan would never have a finals like that....

I'm not saying Kobe's not good.  He's still the best player in the NBA, today, as far as I'm concerned.  And I'm not saying he'll NEVER be as good as Jordan.  But, right now, today....I can honestly say that Jordan ranks above Kobe, definitively, in my mind.  This finals performance is what does it for me.  Too often, Kobe was reduced to a jump shooter.....and, for sure, credit the Celtics defense for that.  But, on the flip side, Jordan faced some defensive BEASTS back in his day, and he never had a finals series like the one Kobe just turned in.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #419 on: June 18, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

What's with people defending themselves on this board as they talk? Like "I'm not saying blah blah"

LoL

It is what it is.

LA lost, and should've in 5, but it was 6. A decisive 6, that proves that it "should've" been 5 (4-1)

It was the 4th quarter and I think they got up by like 27 or something. I was talking to my friend, I wanted them to run the score up. He didn't want them too, and he was a Celtics fan. I think in Pro sports it's okay to run the score up. In NCAA it isn't.

The only thing I was dissapointed about in this game is that they didn't win by 40. I was really wanting 40. 39 will do, or you could round it to 40.

I must say, this years Celtics teams are one of the top 25 teams of all time. I don't think any other team in NBA history has beaten a worthy opponent like the Lakers so badly in a finals game. (I know their has been sweeps obviously)

I am talking about non swept series, that include a blowout like this one... this must be a record to win a title 39 is 39 and that's a lot, and I credit them running the score up and jacking 3's

The Lakers tried to run it up in game 4, and it backfired in their mouths. Love it.

Be proud Celtics fans, you have earned it.

But don't damn me
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: