Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Why did "Libertad" flop?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did "Libertad" flop?  (Read 29854 times)
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 08:56:42 PM »

Contraband had some really fucking good songs, most people loved it. I think this new cd doesnt have as strong songs as contraband although i think in general is a better cd overall.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

Was "She Builds Quick Machines" and "The Last Fight" even released as singles? Because I have seen no signs of both whatsoever, apart from the videos.

The only thing that I've seen/bought when talking about singles is the Melody and the Tyranny E.P.

Obviously everyone means the radio singles being used as promotion for the CD....

As for the CD's lack of success, a different selection of singles may have made a slight impact, but overall I don't think it would have made a huge difference.  I think it just wasn't the type of music the public was clamoring for.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 10:21:02 AM »

Was "She Builds Quick Machines" and "The Last Fight" even released as singles? Because I have seen no signs of both whatsoever, apart from the videos.

The only thing that I've seen/bought when talking about singles is the Melody and the Tyranny E.P.

Obviously everyone means the radio singles being used as promotion for the CD....

As for the CD's lack of success, a different selection of singles may have made a slight impact, but overall I don't think it would have made a huge difference.? I think it just wasn't the type of music the public was clamoring for.
Wasn't it the band, Slash in general, who pushed for SBQM to be the lead single?  Maybe they should've gotten some more input on that one.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 10:25:32 AM »

I said this in a couple of other threads.

Its all about singles.

If U have great singles u sell a lot of records.

Same will go for Axl.

Why do u think CD probably hasn't came out yet?  Cause they want the perfect moment for the perfect single to hit.

I guarantee if Axl doesn't have an awesome opening Single, CD won't do so good either.

Even the whoring u guys claim Jon Bon Jovi does, If they don't have a great single, Their albums don't sell as well either.

Take Have A Nice Day

It was flopping until they released "Who Says You Can't Go Home" and it blew up and sold almost 2 million in the US.

Libertad has a nice collection of good songs, but no "Slither" or "Fall To Pieces" to push sells.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »

I said this in a couple of other threads.

Its all about singles.

If U have great singles u sell a lot of records.

Same will go for Axl.

Why do u think CD probably hasn't came out yet?? Cause they want the perfect moment for the perfect single to hit.

I guarantee if Axl doesn't have an awesome opening Single, CD won't do so good either.

Even the whoring u guys claim Jon Bon Jovi does, If they don't have a great single, Their albums don't sell as well either.

Take Have A Nice Day

It was flopping until they released "Who Says You Can't Go Home" and it blew up and sold almost 2 million in the US.

Libertad has a nice collection of good songs, but no "Slither" or "Fall To Pieces" to push sells.
Yeah, sorry about those shots at Jon, D.  That may have been a little unfair.  I like the guy, but I was just trying to compare promotional differences.  He was ALL over the place when Lost Highway came out.  I've never seen such promotion.  I agree, there are some solid songs on Libertad, but nothing groundbreaking.  I thought "Lost Fight" would be a bigger hit, but that hasn't seemed to catch on either.  I really don't know if any song on the album, if released first, would've been able to save it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
CSS
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »

I know.

But are there singles out there to buy except from Melody and the Tyranny?
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »

i think people who bought contraband by curiosity and with a certain excitment to see 3 ex-gunners on it
were disgusted enough by the poor quality of the album they didn't want to buy the new one.

Yeah that'd be my guess aswell. That along with SQBM being so generic and totally out of place as a first single.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:42 AM »

I know.

But are there singles out there to buy except from Melody and the Tyranny?

No, I don't believe they released any official singles for these songs.  I suppose SBQM was supposed to be the focus of Melody and the Tyranny... too bad Just 16, Psycho Killer and Do It For The Kids are all better songs.   Undecided
DEAD HORSE
VIP

08.08.08 ?

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 12:54:51 PM »

I mean, A Perfect Circle's which I love, released 3 albums, and the first one was the one who sold more than the other ones. 

Also remember that every years is getting worst for artists, meaning with all the downloads, and free music availability, people dont buy cds anymore.
I guess thats one of the main reasons. remember Contraband was released in 2004, and there was a lot of expectations, I think the second album is the most important album in every band 'cause that album is the one who says if you are good or gone.

I think they should have released "Let it roll" as a first single. the second one , gravedancer
I love Velvet Revolver, but its not groundbreaking music either. I mean they are not putting out an album thats going to change people's life, and they know it. Is a fun rock n roll band. thats the way I personally take it, and I love 'em. beer

If the world would end today... Wink
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »

Yeah Faldor but also, Scott Weiland and Slash cant get on the same programs and do the same things Jon is able to do. U have to look at that also.

Jon has put himself in a great position where he can go on ANY show he wants to promote his albums which is a testament to his business savvy and skill.

Going on a few late night talk shows and some magazines don't get the job done.

U have to really get out there and promote it coupled with a great lead single.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »

I think it has to do more with the rock scene more than it has to do with VR. ?None the less, I'm starting to see some faults or things they could have done differently.

Yes SBQM was a bad choice. ?It just has one of those annoying names that nobody is going to remember.

They should have released this album in 2006 and could have kept riding all the hype. ?Instead they stalled and kept touring playign the same songs with no new material. ? Also the album maybe shouldn't have been produced by O'brien even tho I was excited at first. ?It wound up sounding like an STP record and doesn't really have that VR current rock sound. ? Also they are a great live band, but I have to say since these two albums came out, I have still listened to AFD and UYIs more ?Wink

Also compare Axl's tour last year to this VR tour. ?Axl played a different setlist and mixed it up where VR kind of did the same show and wound up cutting songs during the end of the tour even. ?I'm starting to see things from Axl's side now and not just the band for saying he was a control freak, but I'm starting to think he was the mastermind. ? ?

It's ok tho cuz lots of bands have bad records. ?If VR want to stay around they are gonna have to lower there egos and try to make one of the best albums they can. ?The fact that it took so long and it wasn't a success doesn't help tho. ?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »

Also the album maybe shouldn't have been produced by O'brien even tho I was excited at first.? It wound up sounding like an STP record and doesn't really have that VR current rock sound.

I don't know what you're listening to, but Libertad is really far away from sounding anything like STP.
Axl is a mastermind for mixing the setlist up? I don't see what you mean, from the setlists Ive read, he didn't mix it up much. and I don't care much about it either, since there is a very small chance I will go to more than one show pr. tour of any band.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:15:27 PM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
CSS
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »

I don't know what you're listening to, but Libertad is really far away from sounding anything like STP.

Far away?

It sounds like Stone Temple Pilots on smack, and it's really good - and I can't really see how it "flopped" to be honest.

But with lack of promotion, shit can happen to any band.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »

Far away?

It sounds like Stone Temple Pilots on smack, and it's really good - and I can't really see how it "flopped" to be honest.

But with lack of promotion, shit can happen to any band.

STP didn't need any help to sound like they were on smack Grin
seriously though, it doesn't sound anywhere like STP to me. it generally sounds a bit more like 70s rock such as Cheap Trick and Grand Funk I think.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »

I think they definitely waited too long to release the 2nd album. 3 years is a little too long a wait especially when their first record was basically recorded in a few weeks and was meant to be played live. If they did a 2nd record one year later the hype would have been there. Only a few people online were really anticipating the 2nd album, and the buzz for VR was long gone by the time it arrived.

The music sounds great live but it isnt quite as catchy on record. And I dont think Dave and Slash write together very well. I dont like Dave's "modern element" he brings to the band. It blows.
martyngnr
Headliner

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

I think they definitely waited too long to release the 2nd album. 3 years is a little too long a wait especially when their first record was basically recorded in a few weeks and was meant to be played live. If they did a 2nd record one year later the hype would have been there. Only a few people online were really anticipating the 2nd album, and the buzz for VR was long gone by the time it arrived.

The music sounds great live but it isnt quite as catchy on record. And I dont think Dave and Slash write together very well. I dont like Dave's "modern element" he brings to the band. It blows.

ok Couldnt agree more. If they hadn't waited so long they would have done way better. I've said it before that Weilands attitude puts a lot of people off. That and anytime i have seen an interview with Slash it always "ex GNR guitarist" with no mention of VR.

If VR want to do better next time maybe they should go back to those Izzy Stradlin demos that Weiland didnt like! Grin

"I read the internet......I know what's going on!"
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:08 PM »

I think Libertad flopped for a lot of reasons. I think it's a strong album, but it does have 2-3 turds and SBQM might be the worst song on the album. "Slither" still gets more airplay than anything on Libertad, whichs proves what everyone is saying about how important it is to have a good lead single. Also, I think all the interest in GnR when Contraband came out, coupled with the interest in STP (which seems to have faded with the public), helped that album a lot. While I loved Contraband I think the lack of interest in VR's second album shows most people didn't.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »

If VR want to do better next time maybe they should go back to those Izzy Stradlin demos that Weiland didnt like! Grin

fire Scott, fire Matt, and fire that bald dude.   Get Izzy, and get a decent drummer.    They'd be a cool band.
CSS
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »

and fire that bald dude.

hihi

Come on, Dave is a great guitarist - and he's also one of the main reasons that I really dig Velvet Revolver's guitar work.

His rhythm playing is very impressing, especially on Libertad and I also have to say that he and Slash are suiting each other very well.

But it's all based on opinions.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »

fire Scott, fire Matt, and fire that bald dude.? ?Get Izzy, and get a decent drummer.? ? They'd be a cool band.

There's nothing wrong with that "bald dude", Dave. ?He's a good guitar player and has good chemistry with Duff and Slash. ?While I'm not the biggest fan of Matt's drumming, you can't deny that he and Duff work well together as the rhythm section. ?They could use another voice in the songwriting department that fits in well with Slash and Duff, Izzy would be a good choice. ?Though, for whatever reason, Scott isn't a fan of what Izzy wrote with Slash and Duff. ?Or, they can let Dave contribute more as he wrote "Get Out The Door" which is my favorite rocker on the album.

The album felt stronger to me overall, but didn't have the same grabber of a lead single like Contraband did with "Slither".

Ali
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: