Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:37:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I have 500 dollars, i am in a punk/metal band and I need an amp
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have 500 dollars, i am in a punk/metal band and I need an amp  (Read 20002 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: November 21, 2007, 12:38:59 AM »

I need some help guys

I just joined an AWESOME and I do mean awesome punk/metal,thrash band and I am the lead guitarist.

I need a fuckin amp though to practice and gig with.

we are goin on tour this summer *bars,clubs etc* and I need an amp that would do a good enough job for this type of  venue.

Problem is< I only have 500 bucks.

Any recommendations or am I pretty much fucked?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:00:11 AM »

The Vox AD50VT is a good bet. It's a hybrid amp, but has quite a few good models. It models a few high gain amps as well for metal and stuff. The tone is quite good (for a hybrid). 50W should be enough for clubs. It has a power-attenuator you can use to reduce the output to around 1W (for bedroom practice). Costs about $380.

Fuck 'Em All.
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 01:48:01 AM »

I think it depends on what you want from it. If you get your main sound from pedals, then you want one which takes pedals well. If you want your main distorted sound to come from the amp, then you want to find out which amp you think sounds the best.

Saying that, I'd go for a Marshall valve (tube) combo. You might be able to pick one up second hand for $500 which will make you very happy (I'm not up to speed on the US second hand market).
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:00:07 AM »

You can find some decent Randall amps for around that.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 09:52:04 AM »

What do you need? Do you have any preferences or will you use anything?

IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AVT50X

Marshall AVT50X

It's very very loud.. Cool
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:20:57 PM »

Ill sell you my ValveKing 212 100watt. Its in pristine condiition. Hasnt been gigged (im 15) and I have absolutely no need for that kind of power. Its an amazing amp though with texture control so you can choose and blend class a and a/b. look for some reviews, they're all positive

email me alex.vinarsky@gmail.com

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »

I would've recommended the ValveKing 212 as well, except it retails about $620. Unless u're buying it second hand of course...

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »

Guitar Center is having a huge sale where I live Friday, where they are slashing prices and giving an extra 20 percent off.
So, Im gonna check out these amps u g uys listed and see what I can pick up down there Friday.

My friend h as one of those Tube Marshalls, and it sounds awesome and its what he uses.

SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 12:56:10 AM »

My friend h as one of those Tube Marshalls, and it sounds awesome and its what he uses.

For 500 bucks you'll be hard pushed to get a tube amp.  I own two Marshall tube amps and they sound awesome ... but they're far from cheap.

Buying used will give you WAY better chance of getting a nice tube amp.

If your band is that good, and you buy a fucking solid state pile of shit, or one of those fucking Line6 amps, you'll sound naff and they'll not be too happy!

2c

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 03:16:33 AM »

For 500 bucks you'll be hard pushed to get a tube amp.? I own two Marshall tube amps and they sound awesome ... but they're far from cheap.

If your band is that good, and you buy a fucking solid state pile of shit, or one of those fucking Line6 amps, you'll sound naff and they'll not be too happy!

2c

Fuck those Line6 amps, I am definitely going with a Marshall of some sort.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 04:58:43 AM »

For 500 bucks you'll be hard pushed to get a tube amp.  I own two Marshall tube amps and they sound awesome ... but they're far from cheap.

2c

Marshall Tube Amps:

1. > $500
2. Too loud for bedroom practice.

Fuck 'Em All.
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 05:16:34 AM »

2c

Marshall Tube Amps:

1. > $500
2. Too loud for bedroom practice.

No they're not ... if you keep looking you will find a bargain ... They can be had used for $500.  And who cares about bedroom practice?!  The guy's in a band ... the band is all that matters.  He has other gear for bedroom practice.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 06:11:49 AM »

And who cares about bedroom practice?!

I just assumed he would practice with the same amp. Unless he has some warehouse or lives in some remote place, a tube is just going to be too loud.

Fuck 'Em All.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 11:28:12 AM »

I never had much respect for Line 6.

Then I heard Bumble play through one a couple of times.
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »

Yeah but generally Bumble has a processed sound to give him as smooth a high gain sound as possible.  Not very punk! Smiley

SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »

And who cares about bedroom practice?!

I just assumed he would practice with the same amp. Unless he has some warehouse or lives in some remote place, a tube is just going to be too loud.

It still doesn't matter.

Well ... let's look at it two ways.  1) tube amps come in all flavours.  Did you know you can get 5 watt tube amps ?  Smiley   2) His main concern is the band.  If he was too worried about bedroom volumes, he'd alienate himself from playing alongside the other players in the band.  Plus ... I don't understand ... I can use my 100 Watt half stacks in the house.  I just keep them low.  You know they have volume knobs right? Smiley  Bedroom practice doesn't have to be cranked Smiley

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 02:05:17 PM »

hihi hihi

Love the arguing!  ok

We have our own practice space where we get loud as fuck, so.... we don't practice in a bedroom. We have an awesome rehearsal basement complete with a cheap little stage and everything.  A bunch of bands around here use it, so its really cool.

I have a very small Marshall to write and practice by myself in my bedroom.

So really, the gigs are the most important thing. I found some ideas at Guitarcenter.  But which one would be the best?

After the markd own and the extra 20 percent off, All of these are an option.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG100HDFX-MG412-Half-Stack-with-Digital-Effects-482805-i1145907.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-AVT100X-100W-1x12-3-Channel-Combo-Amplifier-with-DFX-482629-i1145858.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG250DFX-Stereo-Combo-Amp-483104-i1145928.gc

The 2nd one I listed is the one I am most leaning towards.  with a mark down and 20 percent off, I can grab it for around $550.00

Help once again is greatly appreciated.

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »

I would avoid the MG series. I think they are more aimed at the younger guitarist.

The AVT is mainly solid state with a valve in the preamp. I've heard some good comments on them. The snobs (like, I'm afraid, me) dismiss them due to the solid state power stage.

If you can get a 50W all-valve amp, you will probably find that it may even be louder than a 100W solid state amp. A head and a 4x12 is going to move more air, and thus seem louder too.

As I said, I'm no expert on the US second-hand market, but I would think you would be able to pick up a JCM900 and a 4x12 cab for $500, or probably not all that much more. Keep looking!
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 04:34:21 PM »

...just as an adendum...

I picked up my JCM900 head and a Behringer 4x12 cab for 4000 Swedish kronor, which is not all that much over $500, and in general the Swedish instrument market is painfully expensive. A quick look on ebay shows them as being a bit over $500, but you might be able to get a deal on craigslist or a local pawn shop or something like that.

The Behringer cab, by the way, was excellent. They have a bad reputation - deservedly so, if you ask me - but some of their stuff is good. This was a 4x12 stereo angled cab and it was really good. I sold it, but only because it wasn't being used much and took up far too much space in my studio.

Whatever you do, don't accept second best. I think choosing A over B because A was $100 less would be a mistake - you'd be better off trying to scrape a bit more to get something which you aren't going to outgrow in a few months.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: