Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:00:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I have 500 dollars, i am in a punk/metal band and I need an amp
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have 500 dollars, i am in a punk/metal band and I need an amp  (Read 20003 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »

Thanks JimBobTTD

Yeah u are absolutely right. I don't want to settle for 2nd best when I could spend a bit extra and get something kick ass.

Thats why Im glad u guys are so knowledgable on here, that way I dont fuck up and buy something shitty.  I can play music, but Im not real smart when it comes to the technical aspect of equipment etc.

Im gonna go check out Ebay.

I wonder if people sell shitty equipment on there though that is busted or on its last legs??

Thats the only problem I have with 2nd hand stuff.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »

D,

buy an MG and you might as well be a 12 year old kid starting out.  MG amps ... while not the worst on the market, are truly low grade budget amps.  I just came home from a gig and one of the bands had a guitar player using an MG head into a 1960A cab ... Holy stinking shit... it sounded like a wasp in a jar.  So fucking bad.  Sure, they're ok for practicing ... but turn them up and what do they do?  They sound shit.

AVT's are different.  AVT's actually sound alright.  They're a mid range... so don't expect the best.

Then of course tube amps ... do NOT assume all tube amps are good.  Some suck.  But you do some research and find out what is best for you.

I love my amps ... they're both Marshall ... all tube 100 Watt heads on 4x12" matched cabs.  They sound superb.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »

Check out a local Iwanta or something like that .

Might be able to find a good amp for considerably cheaper. Plus a lot of those people will be close to you and maybe you can heck it out be for buying.

Or maybe something like this.
http://www.peaveymag.net/productdetails-dealer-02849-prodid-2529.aspx
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:15:53 PM by Bobarcord » Logged

CD will be out when it's out. ....
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 09:26:28 PM »

Never used one buy heard good things.... this will be LEAGUES ahead of Marshall's shitty MG series, or their AVT's Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Bobarcord
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 09:29:45 PM »

I am currently using one  and you can play some really good sounding metal riffs with it. They seem to be suited for Metal .

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »

So if I get a Peavy ValveKing Tube, U guys think they are comparable to a Marshall? I know Marshall is the standard, but I dont have a thousand bucks.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 10:34:30 PM »

Just for argument's sake, of course:

1) tube amps come in all flavours.  Did you know you can get 5 watt tube amps ?  Smiley   

Yes and a 5W tube amp is quite loud compared to a 5W solid state.

2)I can use my 100 Watt half stacks in the house.  I just keep them low.  You know they have volume knobs right? Smiley  Bedroom practice doesn't have to be cranked Smiley

I don't see the point of buying a 100W tube head, if you can't crank it up past 1. You have to play with clean tone or use a pedal, but then what's the point of buying the tube anyway? If u're getting a tube, you should be able to crank it up. That's the only way to use that mother. ok

Although tube amps are the best out there, they aren't for everyone. I used to be a tubehead like you, recommending tube amps left and right, but it's when I got my amp that I realised even the lowest rated tube is too loud for my bedroom. Basically, if you have the space and can afford it, get a tube amp. If you don't, settle for a hybrid, or get a power attenuator.

We have our own practice space where we get loud as fuck, so.... we don't practice in a bedroom. We have an awesome rehearsal basement complete with a cheap little stage and everything.  A bunch of bands around here use it, so its really cool.

Well, since that's cleared up, like SpiritDave said, I recommend going for a used tube amp too. Stay away from that MG series crap.

Fuck 'Em All.
Bobarcord
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 11:01:06 PM »

So if I get a Peavy ValveKing Tube, U guys think they are comparable to a Marshall? I know Marshall is the standard, but I dont have a thousand bucks.

I think they are very comparable to the Marshall. In my humble opinion.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »

Ive been reading some reviews for the Peavy and I think Im gonna just spend some extra cash and get a Marshall.

I read over 100 reviews and it seems that most of the great reviews came from people who played country or some lighter type of music.

The ones who played Metal or very hard rock complained of the cheap speakers and the sound etc. Also a lot of people had problems with it messing up......

So that doesn't give me tons of confidence.....

Id rather save and spend 1,000 on a Marshall I know will be awesome than buy something for 600 that isn't great.

I will be playing for rapid hardcore punk/metal fans, and I don't want to sound lame...............

SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 12:13:20 AM »

D, if you're gonna save extra, yeah ... go for Marshall Smiley hehe ...

I am 100% a Marshall fan ... and btw ... I have used a LOT of amps ...

so my opinions in this thread are based on 13 years of amp experience.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 12:14:02 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-AVT-150-Half-stack-w-footswitch_W0QQitemZ220175277529QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be a good deal?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »

^
Fuck that one

I found this though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM-601-Combo-Amp-60-Watts-All-Tube_W0QQitemZ220171912290QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »

Looks nice. Good luck!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »

Guys thanks alot!

I went to guitar Center and picked up this big Daddy today

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-DSL401-Combo-Amp-100496703-i1145929.gc?mode=1

U guys educated the fuck out of me and I was able to walk in there and buy a quality amp.

As u can see, this fuckin thing retails for almost 1200 dollars

I got a used one in pristine condition *not a fucking scratch on it* for 550.00 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its fuckin awesome

I turned it up to only 3 and it blew my god damn ears off!

Its a Tube amp by the way so I feel blessed

Thanks guys for all your help

Without u guys, Id be sporting a shitty MG series Right now, Im not gonna lie, Its what I was gonna buy.

So now

How do I take care of this amp?  As far as tubes,fuses, cooling it down, warming it up etc?

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »

Nice one! That's a hell of a deal!

It is commonly accepted that you should turn the amp on (the red switch) and leave it to warm up for a while before turning it off standby (the black switch). I like to do the same in reverse when I turn it off too.

As far as fuses, leave them alone unless one of them blows. Then replace it with an exact same type. As far as changing valves, you will need to change the power valves (EL34s) when they start to wear out. When that will be depends on how much you use it, but even with heavy use you should get about a year or so out of them. By heavy use I mean high volume (master volume) so you get power tube saturation. The preamp valves (12AX7s) should last a very long time.

Congratulations again on a damn fine score. Welcome to the Marshall appreciation club!
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »

Oh...

...and get a tech to change the power valves for you when it is time. The amp will need to be biased for optimum performance after each change of EL34s. This is not hard to do, but you are dealing with very high voltages and it would be best to leave it someone who isn't going to fry himself.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 11:27:02 AM »

Thanks JimBob

How will I know when its time to change them?

Will it stop working? Start sounding bad?

This amp blows my fuckin mind.

WOW, I have never sounded this good playing guitar. HOly Shit, 10 years of shitty equipment! To finally get a Marshall Tube, Its something I cant put into words

I feel like fuckin Slash, I swear to god

I have already wrote 2 awesome bonecrushing heavy ass songs Im sure my band is gonna love!!!!!!!!!!!

All thanks to the sound that I got inspired bycoming out of this Marshall.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 09:34:45 PM by D » Logged

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »

You'll know. Your amp will start being quieter and the sound will start being a bit shitty. It's pretty hard to explain, but you'll know.

I am super glad that you are happy with the amp. There's nothing quite like that "Woah! That's me?!" feeling of getting a great sound. And I suppose that the amp must still smell new. Ahhh...
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »

Kick ass D . Sound like you got a good deal .

And Bob Don't recommend that shitty ass Peavy ValveKing , dude. That shitty doesn't sound that good.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 03:35:17 PM »

Rick Richards used a Marshall DSL401 combo on Izzy's 'Miami' album Cool

And Izzy himself a 15W all-tube Fender Pro Junior Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: