Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:53:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  I have 500 dollars, i am in a punk/metal band and I need an amp
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have 500 dollars, i am in a punk/metal band and I need an amp  (Read 20000 times)
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:50 PM »

D .... if the amp sounds good ... don't worry too much about retubing it.  Tubes can ... if used correctly ... last YEARS.  If you have MINT amp ... you will probably find it's not been used heavily and the tubes are perfectly fine.

My JCM900 had stock tubes ... and it was 15 years old.  Sounded awesome.  Unless you start to hear a shitty sound, don't worry Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2007, 08:32:41 PM »

yeah unless you start notincing the sound quality going doing  , Don't worry.

That was a pretty good deal on that amps .

Oh and Timothy bite me .lol

CD will be out when it's out. ....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 02:34:20 PM »

Question:

I was playing today and my amp cut out and the sound was gone for like 2 seconds and then it slowly came back...........

What caused this?

I put a fan behind my amp afterwards and it never happened again............ So did my amp overheat? Should I keep a small fan behind it at all times?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 04:10:47 PM »

Sounds like dirty pots. $10 for a can of aerosol pot cleaner/lube at any electronics store.
Just pull your knobs off and spray the pots and turn them. Let dry and repeat. Should clean them right up.

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »

Dirty pots shouldn't do that, unless you were turning a knob at the time. A pot is a carbon resistor and a wiper - when it is connected and not being moved, dirt shouldn't have an effect on it.

If you do want to clean your pots, you will need to open up your amp. On the pots, you'll see a small hole. Spray electrical cleaner (go easy) in there and rotate the shaft. As we are dealing with tube amps here, don't touch the capacitors (cylindrical things) inside, as they store up electricity. Learn how to discharge the capacitors if you really want to start poking around in there, and never touch the insides of the amp with both hands. Ideally, put one hand in your back pocket.

On a spanking new amp it is unlikely that the pots are dirty. Not impossible that the pots are shit - this has been a Marshall flaw for a long time.

I would say it was most likely caused by a power dip. Perhaps a lot of people in your area all suddenly decided to put the kettle on.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2007, 08:46:01 AM »

Question:

I was playing today and my amp cut out and the sound was gone for like 2 seconds and then it slowly came back...........

What caused this?

I put a fan behind my amp afterwards and it never happened again............ So did my amp overheat? Should I keep a small fan behind it at all times?

I don't know if it was the heat that caused this, but the DSL401 does have overheating issues. In fact, some people have permanently fitted fans at the back of the amp. You might want to check out some reviews at harmony central, where they've written what they've done.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2007, 09:17:33 PM »

What is the best tube u guys would recommend?

My amp isnt sounding as good today as yesterday

So Im thinkin where its a used amp and all, Maybe I could use a new Tube???

If not, when the time does come, what should I get?

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »

I don't think anyone can recommend a "best" tube amp, depends on what you like and your budget of course. Only the higher end Marshall heads are good IMO. My suggestion would be to narrow it down to 3-4 heads, go to your local guitar store, play them and pick the one that you like. Go for combo's only if you can't afford a head + cab.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2007, 10:38:57 PM »

Im sorry

I meant when my tubes go bad in my amp, what should I replace them with?  talkin bout the power tubes.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »

LOL  hihi  My bad.

JJ Audio (formerly Tesla) or SED (Svetlana) should be fine.

Edit: You can get matched JJ EL84 pairs at around $16.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:58:19 PM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 03:19:52 AM »

I thought the amp was almost new? I don't think you need to change the tubes just yet. But if you do want to, JJ and Svetlana are good. Groove Tubes get mixed reviews.

Getting good tone one day and not so good the next is pretty standard. Sometimes the amp just doesn't want to play. Spend some more time playing with the amp, and get to know it better. You'll soon find that you understand it more and will get better tone more often.

You need to treat it like a workhorse. Warm it up before use and you can use it hard for a while, but the thing will need a break. Let it cool down afterwards. Some days it - like a horse - will simply not want to do what you want to do.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 12:54:15 PM »

^
Thanks for the tip.

I got it at practice last night and it performed very well, So u guys are right, it doesn't need anything changed.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 01:08:58 AM »

Ok guys, I need some more help.

Which amp is better, the first one or the 2nd one?

I bought the 2nd one but I also WON the first one off Ebay.

The first one would cost me 130 more dollars........ I can take the one I bought the other day back and get this one.

Do u guys think the first one is 130 dollars better than the 2nd?

I need to know ASAP cause I gotta let the guy I won the auction from know something by tomorrow night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM-601-Combo-Amp-60-Watts-All-Tube_W0QQitemZ220171912290QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-DSL401-Combo-Amp-100496703-i1145929.gc?mode=1
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:12:22 AM by D » Logged

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 02:07:46 AM »

Well, basically it's the same amp but at 60W instead of 40W. The JCM601 will be quite louder. I guess it depends on if you really need the extra power and are willing to spend $130 for it.

If you're happy with the loudness of your current amp w.r.t your bandmates instruments, keep what you have. If your guitar is getting drowned out by your drummer and other bandmates, go for the JCM601.

Fuck 'Em All.
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 02:55:47 AM »

As you are going to have both for a while, you can A/B them and keep the one you like best.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »

I am taking the JCM2000 DSL401 back to Guitar center and getting a refund.

So im gonna roll with the 601.

The guy is shipping it to me even with the original packaging and Box Plus he has taken amazing care of the amp, no scratches or nicks.? He warms it up and cools it down properly and 20 more watts for 130 more dollars is worth it to me.

It was one of u guys on here who told me to not let 100 bucks stand in the way of getting the best possible quality. So Im gonna fork over an extra 100 for the extra power.

Also, on the JCM2000 DSL 401, they have had overheating issues which concerns me, the Tubes etc are hard as fuck to get to whereas the 601 is easily accessible etc.

Also, when playing Sunday night, I had my amp up to 7 and could barely hear myself playing, and that was doing solos which should cut through anything.

So the band I am in, I definitely need more power.

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2007, 02:27:37 PM »

That was me. I said not to let $100 stand in the way. It's great advice and it has helped me alot.

If you want to cut through, increase the mids. It's the mids which are heard.
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »

D...

It's got 3 ECC83 Preamp tubes, and 2 EL34 Poweramp tubes.  This is the SAME tubes you find in the DSL401, and in fact, in almost all Marshall amps.  They're easy to get hold of, so I don't know why you think they're hard to get.

Hope you enjoy the amp Smiley

One thing I'll say is this .... when you're using this amp ... push the master volume ... That's the power section.  Sure, dial in as much gain as you want, but make sure you use the power section ... that's where you'll get that 'thump', and the natural harmonics and tone.  It's all about power amp section on tube amps. Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2007, 10:47:53 PM »

It's got 3 ECC83 Preamp tubes, and 2 EL34 Poweramp tubes.  This is the SAME tubes you find in the DSL401, and in fact, in almost all Marshall amps.  They're easy to get hold of, so I don't know why you think they're hard to get.

He meant they are hard to access on the amp.

Fuck 'Em All.
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 12:06:05 AM »

He meant they are hard to access on the amp.

ok Smiley hehe Smiley I misinterpreted Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: