Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  It was 27 years ago today....
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: It was 27 years ago today....  (Read 21586 times)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

The Animals one hit wondered with their House of the Rising Sun.
Hehe, that one was a Dylan song hihi

Like many classic folk ballads, the authorship of "The House of the Rising Sun" is uncertain. Folklorist Alan Lomax, author of the seminal 1941 songbook Our Singing Country, wrote that the melody was taken from a traditional English ballad and the lyrics written by a pair of Kentuckians named Georgia Turner and Bert Martin. Other scholars have proposed different explanations, although Lomax's is generally considered most plausible.

Dylan recorded his version before the Animals... neither wrote it, but the Animals certainly made it "theirs". 
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »

I know that it wasn't written by them, that's why I said their House of the Rising Sun, as opposed to with House of the Rising Sun... I meant their version.

Honest!

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »

A lot of the old bands big songs were covers, Elvis played gospel song. Nazareth covered Love Hurts etc
Beatles were very original and experimented a lot as time wen't by.

Some more about the song:

It was recorded by Texas Alexander in the 1920s, then by a number of other artists including Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie, Josh White and later Nina Simeone. It was her version The Animals first heard. No one can claim rights to the song, meaning it can be recorded and sold royalty-free.

From Song Facts

You are right that a lot early rockers covered a lot of material ... especially old blues stuff.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »

Like many classic folk ballads, the authorship of "The House of the Rising Sun" is uncertain. Folklorist Alan Lomax, author of the seminal 1941 songbook Our Singing Country, wrote that the melody was taken from a traditional English ballad and the lyrics written by a pair of Kentuckians named Georgia Turner and Bert Martin. Other scholars have proposed different explanations, although Lomax's is generally considered most plausible.

Dylan recorded his version before the Animals... neither wrote it, but the Animals certainly made it "theirs".?
It makes sense cause Dylan's early stuff was right in that vein

Yeah, The Animals version rocks. Also one song I seen done better than the original is Helter Skelter with Motley Crue peace
Honest!
I honestly believe you hihi
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:11:16 PM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »

like i said, shame he died but i cant understand the big thing, i think its more him dieing thats kept him famous than his work. Just like kurt cobain.

You're in a very small minority. Most people that don't care for his works, recognize his genius.

i dont see what he did. i dont see it.

led zeppelin took rock music to a whole different level

hendrix wrote some for its time amazing guitar work and used all those wah pedals n stuff

t-rex invented glam rock and the image factor with some fun? tunes

bowie well, he did a fuck load.

alice cooper invented this shock rock thing

sex pistols brought on strong change and agression helping make way for metal.

and so on. i just dont get what lennon did, that was so amazing.

I kinda get where your coming from, I'm not a huge Beatles fan (love John solo tho) but I think you're missing how revolutionary the man was. Before the Beatles it was rare for alot of artists to even write their own songs, that alone to me tells how important they were in changing that trend. And even though the beatles started out as what comparitively would be almost a boy band by todays standards, they were one of the firsts artists to take huge chances not only with their lyrics, but with their sound. I also try to recognise that while their music may not feel directly influential on myself or maybe some of the bands I listen to the beatles still have a influence somewhere. The artists you listed, Bowie, Hendrix, Alice Cooper, T-rex...I'm sure you can quote almost any of them as having said the beatles were a great influence on them. And by that any band influenced by Bowie, Hendrix, alice, etc. is somehow influenced bv the beatles as well.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: