Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:59:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  How to make a Squier bass look and sound decent.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to make a Squier bass look and sound decent.  (Read 2668 times)
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:35 PM »

1? Pick an ugly squier

2? Drill, change wires, etc

3? Put the electronics and pickguard. Voila !

Im thinking about removing the "squier" logo... and maybe getting a fender mic, that will totally pimp it !  love

I did all the pickguard by myself. What do you think about the mods?

greendog
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:30:34 AM »

I tried that a while back. Theres something really satisfying about modding an instrument, it makes it seem so much better.

I ended up smashing mine to bits tho at a gig and just bought an Aerodyne instead Smiley lol.
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »

last image didnt show up... link here

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:17:32 PM »

One of the best ways to improve a Squier is to change the pots and capacitor. Take a look at some CTS pots and an Orange Drop cap (I believe the hype about these). If you can't get them locally, check out www.guitarpartsresource.com who have excellent postage rates. Here's the link: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_electricalwiringkits.htm Go for either the vintage one (with cloth covered wire - nice and easy!) or the standard with poly coated wire. While you're there, get some copper tape and shield the cavities - the shielding paint never seems to cut it, for me. Then decide whether you want to change the pickup.

Nice pearloid scratchplate - I like them!
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »

One of the best ways to improve a Squier is to change the pots and capacitor. Take a look at some CTS pots and an Orange Drop cap (I believe the hype about these). If you can't get them locally, check out www.guitarpartsresource.com who have excellent postage rates. Here's the link: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_electricalwiringkits.htm Go for either the vintage one (with cloth covered wire - nice and easy!) or the standard with poly coated wire. While you're there, get some copper tape and shield the cavities - the shielding paint never seems to cut it, for me. Then decide whether you want to change the pickup.

Nice pearloid scratchplate - I like them!

Thank you I made it by myself !

I will change pots and capacitor at the same time than the pickup... I belive its a waste of time using good electronics on a shitty mic.

Thank you anyways ! !  peace

JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:22:34 PM »

Made it yourself? Excellent! Did you bevel the edges? How did you do that? With a dremel?

I wouldn't say the pickup is that bad...you may find you like it with better electronics. And you can always change the pickup later. Give it a go!
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:51:28 PM »

Electronics are not expensive at all... It will be my next step  peace

I've used the original ugly white pickguard as the pattern.

The "new" pickguard are 2 layers... first one is a black plastic and second one the pearl plastic. black one is just a little bigger thanthe pearl layer, so it creates a 3D border.

I used a cutter and a dremel, and then a lime. Materials costed me less than 5 bucks and now the bass looks way better than the original pickguard

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: