Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  How has the members of GN'R inspired you?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How has the members of GN'R inspired you?  (Read 21373 times)
CaughtMeInaComa
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »

I was interested in hearing some stories on how ANY members of GN'R or their music has inspired you, be it musically or personally. Has something they've done changed you in some way? let's hear it.  Smiley
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »

Truthfully Axl has always inspired me, from way back when I was a little youngster back in the 80's.  I've always sort of respected his attitude and his ability to pretty much fucking do what he pleases when he pleases.   He's the unpredictable loose-cannon. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:00:58 PM »

Truthfully Axl has always inspired me, from way back when I was a little youngster back in the 80's.  I've always sort of respected his attitude and his ability to pretty much fucking do what he pleases when he pleases.   He's the unpredictable loose-cannon. 

+1

I've always saw part of myself in Axl ever since I got into GnR in 1991.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »

Axl's hair, leatherwear and bikershorts, not going into detail about that hihi

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
ben9785
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »

The new band members have inspired me alot, both personally and musical influence

Robin Finck - Been a fan of him since I saw him in NIN years ago. Hearing his approach to guitar solos inspired me to try to do more guitar leads because I have been a long time guitar player but never really got into doing solos

Richard Fortus - Solid rythmn guitar player, also gave me some advice via email in my music

Bumblefoot - Given me alot of advice in guitar practicing and also recording via email

and Axl - as frustrating as it gets with him keeping his silence, i like the fact that he goes by his own watch and doesn't really care about what people want, hope for, or do or say, despite the ongoing expectations of him, he goes his own way.
Oh yeah, and he's not a bad singer either
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:21:23 PM by ben114 » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:25:21 PM »

The new band members have inspired me alot, both personally and musical influence

Robin Finck - Been a fan of him since I saw him in NIN years ago. Hearing his approach to guitar solos inspired me to try to do more guitar leads because I have been a long time guitar player but never really got into doing solos

Richard Fortus - Solid rythmn guitar player, also gave me some advice via email in my music

Bumblefoot - Given me alot of advice in guitar practicing and also recording via email

and Axl - as frustrating as it gets with him keeping his silence, i like the fact that he goes by his own watch and doesn't really care about what people want, hope for, or do or say, despite the ongoing expectations of him, he goes his own way.
Oh yeah, and he's not a bad singer either

nice post.   Robin for sure has an influence in what I would want to be in a guitar player.. haha, if i was one.   Bumblefoot too for doing what he does with his records.   He's put out so much good stuff and most of it hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves.. but he still does what he loves.    BBF really is someone I see a positive role model for musicans, and the fact that he's a teacher and is so good with the fans.    Its a shame there aren't more people like him out there.
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »

That is really amazing to get advice directly from them. you should feel lucky. Great post!

As for me it was Steven who inspired me to play drums and got me into playing in bands. I taught myself to play by listening to "Appetite".
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »

I relate to Axl a lot and creatively and vocally he is everything I strive to be as a musician/frontman

Slash: Greatest lead guitarist ever in my opinion. his riffs/solos are simply amazing. They are just as melodic and singable as Axl's melodies and lyrics which is so rare in my opinion.

most guitar players play a bunch of meaningless notes that sound like angry bees *Buckethead etc* whereas with Slash, it is a song within a song and takes a great song and makes it legendary.

Duff: his bass playing is also very melodic, and just so in the pocket with the drumming and adds more to the songs than most people realize.

Izzy: his rhythm guitar playing and songwriting are a huge inspiration.

Steven Adler: his drumming, like Slash's guitar are so singable and memorable. Very rarely do drums make u move the way Adler's beats make u move.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »

Slash: Greatest lead guitarist ever in my opinion. his riffs/solos are simply amazing. They are just as melodic and singable as Axl's melodies and lyrics which is so rare in my opinion.

most guitar players play a bunch of meaningless notes that sound like angry bees *Buckethead etc* whereas with Slash, it is a song within a song and takes a great song and makes it legendary.

Duff: his bass playing is also very melodic, and just so in the pocket with the drumming and adds more to the songs than most people realize.

Steven Adler: his drumming, like Slash's guitar are so singable and memorable. Very rarely do drums make u move the way Adler's beats make u move.

i think the discussion was about members of GnR.   Those last 4 aren't in the band.
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »

No, it applies to ANY members of GN'R.

Hey, nice to hear that other people were inspired to play music because of GN'R.
Please continue sharing.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:47:20 PM by CaughtMeInaComa » Logged
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »

It was '89, and I'd rather not say.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »

Guns N Roses got me into rock music in 1988, which led to me picking up the guitar, which has given me hours upon hours of happiness. I now make and fix guitars, make pedals, fiddle with amplifiers etc. It can all be traced back to seeing Paradise City on MTV.

As for actual playing, there is no doubt that Slash and Izzy have influenced me. I wish I could master the instrument like Slash has. Right now, I am looking closely at rhythm, and Izzy is a strong influence when it comes to that.

I'm no drummer or singer, but I can appreciate both the drumming and singing on the albums. The lyrics on Appetite and Lies are, by and large, excellent.
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 03:51:49 AM »

Asphinctersayswhat? That's a little too cryptic...!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »

i think the discussion was about members of GnR.? ?Those last 4 aren't in the band.

How can the new members inspire u when they havent released shit yet?

they inspire me cause maybe I can also cover my fav GNR songs in a sloppy way? ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »

Slash's riffs on SCOM are the reason I picked up guitar and started listening to rock music seriously.

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »

i think the discussion was about members of GnR.   Those last 4 aren't in the band.

they inspire me cause maybe I can also cover my fav GNR songs in a sloppy way? ok

its got nothing to do with whats been released.  dont 'be so narrow minded.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 04:13:55 PM »

I was interested in hearing some stories on how ANY members of GN'R or their music has inspired you,

Pretty sure it can apply to anyone that's been in GN'R at some point in time.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »

I have huge influence from Slash, Izzy and Robin. In fact, I'm playing (again, but in another band) as Robin cover in a new gnr cover band here.

I also have tons of my own music heavily influenced by Robin's lead. Here's a sample of a solo (recorded at home, hence the poor mix):

http://rapidshare.com/files/80789572/Rora_Refr_o___solo.mp3.html

Yeah, if you pretend to not had listen to any new song (live or demo) or any of their own approach to GNR old songs.

Also, keep your cheap shots away, please.

SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »

I love Slash's playing of course.  Any GnR fan who hasn't felt inspired by the riffs you hear ... Jungle, Sweet Child, Nightrain, etc ... I mean ... they're lying.

Axl is vocally my favorite.  Lyrically his words are so damn good.  His melodies and choices of vocal in the songs is excellent.

Robin Finck butchers the fuck out of most of my favorite GnR songs... so I hate him for that ... BUT.... his guitar style and sound on the new songs is utterly awesome and I applaud his work on them.

Richard Fortus is a superb guitar player.  Very underrated on most GnR boards ... because Axl says he's a rhythm player, most people on the GnR boards look over or in fact just simply don't care for his lead work ... but actually he's the best guitarist in GnR right now, in my opinion.  He's able to shred with the best but also pull off some sweet melodic work.

Mainly I'm a guitar guy.  So I'll always focus on that.  But I love a lot of the GnR guys ... all the old guys rock my world, and ... perhaps not all the new, but some Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »

I think Richard Fortus is often overrated because he can play Slash's solos without any major change. IMO, this is actually his weak point, he seems like not original at all. His only real solo in a new song is The Blues and is far inferior to Robin's work in the same song.

Also, I don't like how he borrows things from Bucket. Seems like he's trying to hard to show skills (to play, because to write is another thing):

http://rapidshare.com/files/74493338/Richard_copiando_Bucket.mp3.html

And here's Bucket's original lick used in almost all of his fast songs:

http://rapidshare.com/files/74493474/BucketHead_Lick.mp3.html

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: