Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  How has the members of GN'R inspired you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How has the members of GN'R inspired you?  (Read 21376 times)
CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 08:36:54 PM »

Slash: Greatest lead guitarist ever in my opinion. his riffs/solos are simply amazing. They are just as melodic and singable as Axl's melodies and lyrics which is so rare in my opinion.

most guitar players play a bunch of meaningless notes that sound like angry bees *Buckethead etc* whereas with Slash, it is a song within a song and takes a great song and makes it legendary.

Duff: his bass playing is also very melodic, and just so in the pocket with the drumming and adds more to the songs than most people realize.

Izzy: his rhythm guitar playing and songwriting are a huge inspiration.

Steven Adler: his drumming, like Slash's guitar are so singable and memorable. Very rarely do drums make u move the way Adler's beats make u move.

i think the discussion was about members of GnR.? ?Those last 4 aren't in the band.

How can the new members inspire u when they havent released shit yet?

they inspire me cause maybe I can also cover my fav GNR songs in a sloppy way? ok
LOL? rofl That's not nice..... but funny! hihi

They really aren't that bad. They're just different from the original members, and I take is as that. Just a different take on the songs I Love.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:44:01 PM by CaughtMeInaComa » Logged
SDMF
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 01:35:38 AM »

ADLER-GROOVE
DUFF-DTUD
SLASH-LEADS
AXL-INSPIRATION
IZZY-FUCKIN SICK
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:17 AM »

I think Richard Fortus is often overrated because he can play Slash's solos without any major change. IMO, this is actually his weak point, he seems like not original at all.
Well, that's why he's overrated. He plays some Slash solos note for note and some fans are like: Wow that guy can play like Slash, he's the new guitar hero!!!!1111111one!!!1111

I hate that, and that's why I love Robin and Ron - they are not? Slash or Bucket's wannabes. Smiley

His only real solo in a new song is The Blues and is far inferior to Robin's work in the same song.
Robin's work is awesome on The Blues - his solo fits perfectly the song...

Also, I don't like how he borrows things from Bucket. Seems like he's trying to hard to show skills (to play, because to write is another thing):
Haha, its funny that some people even mention that he didn't copy Bucket. It's really clear here...
||
\/

Also, that's one thing that annoys me on Bucket. He repeats this lick again and again and agaaaaaain. Rocket Queen, November Rain, Nightrain, Out ta Get Me, Paradise City... not to mention he plays it a lot on his solo spot. Sad
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 09:46:51 AM by Bruno Poeys » Logged

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »

Oh, you mean other than want to smoke cigarettes, snort drugs and drink booze?

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »

most guitar players play a bunch of meaningless notes that sound like angry bees *Buckethead etc* whereas with Slash, it is a song within a song and takes a great song and makes it legendary.

I Love My Parents

Lone Sal Bug

Buckethead > Slash.

I don't play the guitar. I used to own a bass but, well... Yeah. That all I pretty much did was own it sums it up. I would love to start playing a guitar, pick up an acoustic, but it's trouble to find the time right now. If I ever do though, it will be Buckethead that inspires me far me than anybody else I have ever heard.

I've seen you bash him a few times now, and I really am curious as to what you've heard. Buckethead has made such a varied amount of music that if you catch the wrong song in the wrong mood then you will probably just dismiss him for all the wrong reason. I did, six years ago, and I'm gutted that I didn't actually listen to his music properly sooner. Slash has never played anything, in my opinion, as beautiful as the two songs that I posted above.

Just my opinion n' all, but hey... I trust that you did give him a goonce upon a time, I just threw those two songs out there on the off chance that you haven't heard them. I'm assuming that you gave the guy a chance, and if you did and it really isn't your thing then, well, fair enough. But your criticisms of the Bucket come off as being from somebody naive to his genius! due to not actually listening to anything more than one of the shredders.

Oh, and another of my favourites:

The ODB tribute! Which, surely, you have already heard, and if you have then maybe there truly is no hope for you... But image the composition of the song with Axl on the ol' vocal? Does it not get you even a little wet? Of course, maybe the verse riff would need to be altered slighty... But what about the solo from 1:51? Or just past the two minute thing if anything remotely robot ain't your thing.

Anyway. Each to his own, I guess. Ho hum.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
ben9785
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »

Bringing back an old thread..

But I'm sorry, I see no reasonable justification in the criticism against Richard

He may not as an "innovative" or "unique" guitarist like Robin or Bumblefoot, but he is a very competent guitarist with good technical ability. His role in the band is not to stand out. He lays a foundation for the other guys to jam on. He is professional in his approach to guitar playing, different to Robin who is more of a blues guitarist in terms of feeling what he plays rather than working on playing it right, and different to Bumblefoot or Buckethead who are both eclectic, "virtuoso" guitarists.

Go to his website 4tus.com and check out the sound samples so you get a better idea of his abilities/range.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 05:21:16 PM »

Bucket is great, actually the only one who had a shot at replacing Slash in my opinion.

Bumble plays the old solos pretty good, but Bucket just brought an element to the band that was awe inspiring. Bumble kind of looks like the guy working at the Mr Zip down the street.

Robin is way too sloppy for my tastes. I just am not a fan of his soloing although the Better solo is magnificent, so there is a chance I can end up liking his playing. I just hate the solos he plays live before songs and the solos he does during classic GNR songs. He sounds at times like a guy trying to constantly improvise in a sloppy amateurish way. Richard, I have no really opinion of, He seems to be a good rhythm guitarist.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ben9785
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »

Bucket is great, actually the only one who had a shot at replacing Slash in my opinion.

Bumble plays the old solos pretty good, but Bucket just brought an element to the band that was awe inspiring. Bumble kind of looks like the guy working at the Mr Zip down the street.

Robin is way too sloppy for my tastes. I just am not a fan of his soloing although the Better solo is magnificent, so there is a chance I can end up liking his playing. I just hate the solos he plays live before songs and the solos he does during classic GNR songs. He sounds at times like a guy trying to constantly improvise in a sloppy amateurish way. Richard, I have no really opinion of, He seems to be a good rhythm guitarist.

See my opinion is that, nobody in the band is actually intended to replace Slash and his abilities.

All the players are bringing their own experience and elements to the table.

Also remember that none of these guitar players wrote the songs they play, so they bring their own approach to it.

I can see what you mean, but I don't think Buckethead is an appropriate direct replacement for Slash.
Buckethead is far too technical and robotic in his playing, and that is awe inspiring indeed, but Slash played with more feeling, even if he doesn't match Buckethead's technical abilities.

With all respect to your opinion, I disagree that Robin is "constantly trying to improvise in a sloppy amateurish way".
I don't know exactly what his musical background is, but I hear a very blues and even moreso jazz-guitar influence in his playing.
I'm not entirely sure how better to explain it, and I can't really think of any guitar players I can point out for you to compare him to to understand what I mean, but thats just my thoughts.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

Thanks for the maturity ok

I hate when I give an honest assessment of Robin and people try to act like I am a "HATER"

Im glad u are able to have a serious discussion about it.

there is something in the sloppy,herky,jerky style he plays. Its almost like he tries to get too fancy or its like he tries to fit 10 notes where only 7 go....... Its hard to explain but his style really drives me crazy. I do love his work on "Better" "TWAT" is right there, I just wish at the end he'd go off a little more when Axl starts the climatic, real emotional ending.

The Blues is also decent, nothing over the top legendary

IRS could be better, especially on the solos and riffs.

ben9785
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »

No, your not a hater, your just giving an opinion, in the same manner that I'm disagreeing with your opinion for my own reasons.

I kind of know where you are getting at, but I don't know, it just doesn't sound bad to my ears.

I have to admit though that obviously his style is unique compared to other lead guitarists that you've probably heard in other hard rock bands and generally all over the radio. He's not a traditional rock lead guitarists like people would associate particularly with a band like GNR.

He hasn't really gone on record talking about what inspired him to take up guitar and who his influences are, but I remember a brief mention on his website that he is a fan of old blues guitarists.

Maybe I'll put this as a question to him on his official website, even though it hasn't been updated since July 2007.
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »

Thats a great assessment dude. Although I will tell you this...Richard is an awesome player! He really is....Dont know if uve heard any of my stuff on this board, but I play guitar, and as soon as I heard Richard, I knew he could not only play, but could deliver sweet melodies consistently and w/o sloppy elements.

Robin is cool and works for a few reasons. Most importantly, he has a cool image and can play rhythm well. His lead playing isn't that great, but his riffs are cool. Like, his new intro to Chinese Democracy is fckn slammin. His Better riff is really cool. Its when he has to solo in a live setting, and I totally understand this, is when he shows a lack of skills. But, he can do it. Its just not mind-blowing like BH, sweet like Richard, creative like Izzy, impressive as BF, or...dare I say...put it all together like Slash. Slash just isn't on par with BH or BF in terms of technique, but he his good, creative, has amazing feel, outstanding tone, an amazing look...i mean, Slash is rocknroll, thats why everything worked so well.

But, other than BH/Slash, Robin kills all of them in the image category, and that makes all the difference in the world of music and entertainment.

BF.....is obviously a great player. An amazing player. He's no BH, but then again, who is? But he does kinda look like your neighborhood Sam Ash worker, but in the Keys dept.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »

Thats very true and a great point.

My top 5 influences are:
1.Slash
2. Prince
3. John Frusiciante
4. Ace Frehley
5. Joe Perry/Richie Sambora

As u can tell by those guitar players, That is what I like, Great riffs, Melodic earth shattering solos etc etc.

So thats probably a good reason why my ears aren't hearing what others hear.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »

Thats a great assessment dude. Although I will tell you this...Richard is an awesome player! He really is....Dont know if uve heard any of my stuff on this board, but I play guitar, and as soon as I heard Richard, I knew he could not only play, but could deliver sweet melodies consistently and w/o sloppy elements.

Robin is cool and works for a few reasons. Most importantly, he has a cool image and can play rhythm well. His lead playing isn't that great, but his riffs are cool. Like, his new intro to Chinese Democracy is fckn slammin. His Better riff is really cool. Its when he has to solo in a live setting, and I totally understand this, is when he shows a lack of skills. But, he can do it. Its just not mind-blowing like BH, sweet like Richard, creative like Izzy, impressive as BF, or...dare I say...put it all together like Slash. Slash just isn't on par with BH or BF in terms of technique, but he his good, creative, has amazing feel, outstanding tone, an amazing look...i mean, Slash is rocknroll, thats why everything worked so well.

But, other than BH/Slash, Robin kills all of them in the image category, and that makes all the difference in the world of music and entertainment.

BF.....is obviously a great player. An amazing player. He's no BH, but then again, who is? But he does kinda look like your neighborhood Sam Ash worker, but in the Keys dept.

Agree.

Great post and I agree completely.

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 07:03:25 PM »

U had me till u said Robin has a better Image than Slash? WHAT?HuhHuhHuh

Dude, seriously tell me that is a typo.

Slash is a rock n roll GOD, an Icon, a LEGEND, everyone knows SLash, My mother probably knows Slash if she saw him.

Robin was a goth Marilyn Manson dude 4 years ago, and a john frusciante lookin hippie now.   The guy to me has little stage presence.

LOL Dude, now u know I would never say that!!!! Read it again...  Smiley

Slash was just all the right elements, at the right time. Axl too. GNR was perfect. It can still be amazing if Axl would just release this damn thing already! lol Its too bad, but we'll never eve get those years back...but at least we had them.

W 23 AXL II
VIP

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »

U had me till u said Robin has a better Image than Slash? WHAT?HuhHuhHuh

Dude, seriously tell me that is a typo.

Slash is a rock n roll GOD, an Icon, a LEGEND, everyone knows SLash, My mother probably knows Slash if she saw him.

Robin was a goth Marilyn Manson dude 4 years ago, and a john frusciante lookin hippie now.   The guy to me has little stage presence.

LOL Dude, now u know I would never say that!!!! Read it again...  Smiley

Slash was just all the right elements, at the right time. Axl too. GNR was perfect. It can still be amazing if Axl would just release this damn thing already! lol Its too bad, but we'll never eve get those years back...but at least we had them.

I agree about Robin's image not being the best, but he does have a great look and aura about him on stage, you DO look at him. I mean, one of the greatest moments of my life was the 2002 MSG Show. But the 2006 Hammerstein show, when RObin dove into the crowd, was one of the coolest moments ive ever seen. it was perfect timing...not planned and fake like wanna-be's.

I dont mean to say anything negative about BF, he is an amazing AMAZING player. His image is alittle off the "rock" look for me...i like Robins, Slash's, Richard's, Gilby's type of rock look...BF looks like the pizza delivery guy who just got stoned and rang your bell with the pizza. Smiles and all. But thats great, he's a great dude and obviously cares about his fans.

BH was just on another planet. He absolutely blew my mind in CT 2002, the first time I EVER heard him play. His solo was just incredible. and then of course in MSG a few nights later, he owned the place. His image was just unspeakable, kinda like his playing.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »

I disagree. Robin can pull it off very nicely IMO and wrote the best solos on the new songs - Better, TWAT, The Blues...

It's just a matter of not comparing him to anyone. He's not Slash and never wanted to be, nor are the other guys.

Robin doesn't play like others and there's nothing wrong with it. But the different blues approach makes people misunderstand his playing. I saw people saying how he went off-key on Better solo in the demo or SCOM from Big Daddy. Tongue

I hate when I give an honest assessment of Robin and people try to act like I am a "HATER"
Maybe because you don't do it very often when you dis the new members like you did many times on adm section. Roll Eyes

ben9785
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 07:32:57 PM »

I could carry on with the opinions, but I actually just posted a comment in another thread a minute ago which would be appropriate here.

Overall the problem is that nobody can really acknowledge any of the current members accomplishments without comparing them to 'old' GNR, because the truth is, right now the name GNR is still associated with Slash, Duff, Izzy, Gilby, Steven

People are always criticizing the new band members in comparison to the old band members.

None of the current members of GNR are intended as direct replacements for any of the band members in GNR. The previous members of the band have obviously made their presence and impact known in the legacy, but the new guys need to be given a chance to prove themselves, and not just in a live setting or on some unfinished studio recordings.

As I mentioned in the previous message, the biggest problem right now is that people are criticizing the band members' performance of songs that they didn't even write. Not that I personally care, but even their image, that you guys have been commenting on here, is being compared to how Slash looked or even a general rock stereotype.

This is the reason why the release of the album will bring a far long delayed introduction and recognition of the current band members, who in their own right, are talented and unique and most importantly, are INDIVIDUALS and DON'T want to be someone they are not.

In time, People will need to realise that Robin Finck and Slash are two completely different people, from two different backgrounds, with different interests, different fashion sense, and different approaches to playing guitar. Slash was, and is always going to be an iconic guitarist, but as far as GNR is concerned in the present tense, he is no longer a member. Robin Finck is playing some of his songs, yes, but thats it.

Likewise, Bumblefoot Ron Thal is a different individual compared to Izzy or Gilby or Slash or whoever and can't be compared to them or any other general expectations for how a guitar player in GNR is expected to play or dress or whatever.

Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinions and thoughts, but I believe that people expect too much from the current members in terms of comparisons with old members or general expectations.

I hope this post made sense.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:39:29 PM by ben785 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

In the Admin section, I dont really think I dissed the members. Its kind of the same thing here.

Till they release CD, I don't think u can really give them credit one way or the other.

My biggest problem with the new members wasn't the new members, it was overzealous fans on here tryin to proclaim them greater than Slash and Izzy before they ever released an album.

I only pointed out in that forum, that they have to release their own material before they can be judged one way or the other.

I see nothing disrespectful or wrong with that cause its true.

Face it, so far in their careers, the guitar players have yet to write anything legendary,iconic or noteworthy

That isnt hating, its the truth.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »

Sorry Axl23

I reread your post and instantly edited my post. I was hoping no one would see it. hihi

Ben:

The reason they are judged so harshly is cause they are in Guns N Roses. So their contributions have to be on par with the other members.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 07:50:32 PM by D » Logged

ben9785
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 07:54:51 PM »

Sorry Axl23

I reread your post and instantly edited my post. I was hoping no one would see it. hihi

Ben:

The reason they are judged so harshly is cause they are in Guns N Roses. So their contributions have to be on par with the other members.

No, their contributions DON'T HAVE to be on par with the other members.

As I said before, the current band members have joined GNR as new individuals who bring their own personality, experience, musical background and style to the band. They are unique individuals different to the former members of GNR, who do not intend to replicate or match or equal the expectations of members who are no longer in the band.

From a FAN point of view, yes, I understand that people expect them to match the contributions and quality of the former members that they have come to love and be associated with the band, but the truth is that, as hard as it may be, those band members are now gone. The new band members have joined and reinvented the band with their own individual elements, rather than recreating what was before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: