Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  How has the members of GN'R inspired you?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How has the members of GN'R inspired you?  (Read 21375 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »

^
I can see where we are having a communciation breakdown.

People on here are accusing me of not liking the new gnr and now I can understand why.

Let me clarify

I love this band and I dont care how many albums they sell or how many people like it or what the reviews say. Im gonna love it and I think its gonna be one of the greatest albums of all time.

All I am doing on this message forum is trying to represent the world as a whole. The whole history of music and the legacy of Guns N Roses and the legacy of Axl.

Axl kept the name of one of the greatest bands ever *rightfully so, I agree with him keeping the name* but to the outside world, they don't necessarily see it the way we see it.

So for Axl to be able to justify keeping the name and running off the old members *once again, not my words but how the general public view it* CD has to be a commercial success and also a critically acclaimed success. It has a lot to live up to fair or not.

If CD sells 500,000 copies, Axl's legacy will be severely hurt and he will be totally trashed in the public eye, thats a fuckin fact regardless of whether or not we think the album is 10 times better than AFD cause essentially our opinions aren't gonna matter because hard core fans love everything and overrate everything their fav artist do.

So I can see where the miscommunciation and the misunderstandings are coming from.

Im only stating that in the court of public opinion and the eyes of casual fans and critics, Their have to be amazing songs, great guitar solos, HIT SINGLES and the album has to do well or Axl will be fucking Trashed or destroyed in the court of public opinion.

Is it fair? NO

but unfortunately that is the way the media and the critics and everything works here.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ben9785
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »

But D, it seems like you are comparing everything back to the old band and the old songs too much.

Yes, most of the public and press will most likely criticize Axl & GNR WITHOUT HAVING HEARD A NOTE FROM THE ALBUM because they are bitter that the 'classic' lineup is gone. They will surely almost hesitate to appreciate the quality of the music based on a general public backlash against GNR & Axl for the aforementioned reason. They almost wouldn't want to acknowledge that they like the songs, just because Slash or Duff didn't co-write them or whatever. The worst part is that low sales of the release of the album would further hurt the band,  but only the perception and image of the band - with no justification whatsoever towards the music, which is most important.

If this is how the general public will continue to perceive Axl & GNR, thats fine, but that doesn't matter. As long as Axl continues with his work and is sincere in what he does, the public can't change the way we feel about the band and our continued support of them.

GNR do NOT need to be riding the top of the charts, breaking album sales worldwide, and selling out stadiums across the world to prove to anybody that they are still relevant and make good music. That era of rock has passed for the most part, but that doesn't mean they can't continue to release albums and tour on their own terms "below the surface". There will always be an audience for them regardless of public perception.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:12:54 PM by ben785 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2008, 06:30:04 PM »

But D, it seems like you are comparing everything back to the old band and the old songs too much.

Yes, most of the public and press will most likely criticize Axl & GNR WITHOUT HAVING HEARD A NOTE FROM THE ALBUM because they are bitter that the 'classic' lineup is gone. They will surely almost hesitate to appreciate the quality of the music based on a general public backlash against GNR & Axl for the aforementioned reason. They almost wouldn't want to acknowledge that they like the songs, just because Slash or Duff didn't co-write them or whatever. The worst part is that low sales of the release of the album would further hurt the band,  but only the perception and image of the band - with no justification whatsoever towards the music, which is most important.

If this is how the general public will continue to perceive Axl & GNR, thats fine, but that doesn't matter. As long as Axl continues with his work and is sincere in what he does, the public can't change the way we feel about the band and our continued support of them.

GNR do NOT need to be riding the top of the charts, breaking album sales worldwide, and selling out stadiums across the world to prove to anybody that they are still relevant and make good music. That era of rock has passed for the most part, but that doesn't mean they can't continue to release albums and tour on their own terms "below the surface". There will always be an audience for them regardless of public perception.

Yeah but no disrespect is meant to any of u guys but u all are being dillusional. U guys are forgetting the IMPACT of GNR, the fact they are legends and the fact they are held to a higher standard than the Poison's, Motley Crue's, Skid Rows of that time period.

GNR are/were a top 10 band all time. That isnt arguable either. When u list the 10 greatest Rock bands of all time, GNR will be in the top 10 everytime and in a lot of top 5's.

Thats what I am saying. If Robert Plant replaces Jimmy Page, right or wrong, the new member is gonna be held to that standard. Doesnt matter what is fair or not.

The fact Axl replaced a whole band, fair or not that new band will be held under a microscope and everything will be compared to the old band.

Fuck, Slash isnt even in GNR and his work is still held and compared to his work in GNR so imagine a band that still goes under the name GNR?

Selling albums, placing on the charts and big time world tours DO matter and u are kidding yourself if u believe otherwise. Axl even knows this has to be successful.

Id bet my life that to us this album is gonna be fantastic and amazing.  But for this band to truly be accepted by the world at large, CD has to be a monumental success.

GNR can never be "Under The Surface" Price u pay when u are an all time legendary group.

There are rockstars and there is Axl Rose. Axl is in the exclusive company with The Top level Rockstars in Music history. He can never do anything under the radar.  This is his comeback and everything is riding on it.

Id say if CD flops and does bad, it will be the last album we will ever get.

ben9785
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »

I completely understand everything you just said, and I reflected it in my post.

But as I said, REGARDLESS OF GENERAL PUBLIC PERCEPTION, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AN AUDIENCE FOR GNR.

Yes, Axl and GNR have made a strong and profound impact in the music scene and music history.

That is the past though.

As I said, it is impossible for GNR to maintain popularity these days compared to their heyday, because the music scene has changed.

Of course if the original band reunited, it would be very popular, but more for nostalgic reasons, reliving a rock legend. If the original lineup were ever to release a new album, it would be compared against their previous work. If the original GNR were still around today, they would be in a status similar to Motley Crue at present - still very popular and successful, but in their own scene and fanbase, not to the mass commercial music industry.

So yes, people will continue to criticize Axl & the current GNR because of what has changed. They won't give CD a fair chance because Slash and Duff aren't part of it. They will automatically write off the quality of any new songs just because it doesn't feature Slash or Duff or the 'classic' lineup.

Axl's response to the general publics reaction following the release of the album is another story..

HOWEVER:

REGARDLESS of the past, REGARDLESS of people's expectations, REGARDLESS of their history, and REGARDLESS of any other thoughts or opinions or criticism or comparison etc etc

If Axl keeps putting out music and touring, there will always be an audience for him, regardless as to if he is selling out arenas, booking theaters, or touring in clubs, BECAUSE THERE IS AN AUDIENCE.

The day that tours are cancelled due to lack of interest or record sales severely diminish is when Axl's mission has failed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:54:06 PM by ben785 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »

Read your last line

U don't think some shows have been cancelled for lack of interest?

They were slated to play at Nashville, A concert I was thrilled about and going to attend. It got cancelled.  A month before the concert, I went on Ticketmaster and could still get like 10th row on the floor.

They played to half empty arenas.

U look at U2 and how successful they are still. GNR should be that successful

Take the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bon Jovi

GNR are more famous than all these with maybe the exception of U2

They should be bigger than Bon Jovi and RHCP but they arent.

So, they have to in my opinion be at that level. At least the BJ, Chili Pepper level for this to be considered a success new band or not.

ben9785
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »

I meant entire tours, not a single concert.

And just to clarify, I have not been surprised at responses to the current/previous tour.

GNR have not released anything. There is no new album yet. Most people don't even realize GNR exist in any form.

At present people still relate to GNR as Slash and Duff etc, because nothing has come in to fill the void. They can stand and watch the new guys playing live at concerts, but they feel no connection to them, they don't know their background, they don't know their true talent, hell they probably don't even know their names.

AFTER THE RELEASE OF THE ALBUM, when the current band members are officially recognized as the new members of GNR, and when new GNR music is released by this band - hence, when GNR officially return to the industry, is when we can start observing reactions.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 07:03:43 PM by ben785 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »

I meant entire tours, not a single concert.

And just to clarify, I have not been surprised at responses to the current/previous tour.

GNR have not released anything. There is no new album yet. Most people don't even realize GNR exist in any form.

At present people still relate to GNR as Slash and Duff etc, because nothing has come in to fill the void. They can stand and watch the new guys playing live at concerts, but they feel no connection to them, they don't know their background, they don't know their true talent, hell they probably don't even know their names.

AFTER THE RELEASE OF THE ALBUM, when the current band members are officially recognized as the new members of GNR, and when new GNR music is released by this band - hence, when GNR officially return to the industry, is when we can start observing reactions.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This is the exact argument Ive been making and getting flamed and beat to shit over in the Admin Section and on here!

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This is exactly what Ive been saying.

We have to wait till CD comes out to make true and honest judgements of the new members good or bad.

ben9785
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

Yes, but part of the issue particularly with you is that you have seemed in your previous posts to be comparing the quality of the new music and players in comparison to the former members unfairly.

There may certain have been miscommunication and misunderstanding in terms of your intentions.

But basically, regardless of public and press reactions, observations, criticism, judgement etc, we are the fans who are supporting Axl in the PRESENT and the current band, and in return, Axl is out there putting his time into the album and touring because I am sure he is aware that there is still a VERY dedicated audience waiting for him and his current and future plans. As long as we support his music and go the shows and support GNR, Axl doesn't need to prove anything else or meet any expectations because he still has an audience who are interested.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 07:15:13 PM by ben785 » Logged
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2008, 11:18:41 PM »

I already love the new band and the new songs (except Silkworms for fucks sake)
i really like silkworms and its studio version's gonna be amazing for sure - remember... Axl probably has changed the song (maybe a lot). hihi

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:44 PM »

Yes, but part of the issue particularly with you is that you have seemed in your previous posts to be comparing the quality of the new music and players in comparison to the former members unfairly.

There may certain have been miscommunication and misunderstanding in terms of your intentions.

But basically, regardless of public and press reactions, observations, criticism, judgement etc, we are the fans who are supporting Axl in the PRESENT and the current band, and in return, Axl is out there putting his time into the album and touring because I am sure he is aware that there is still a VERY dedicated audience waiting for him and his current and future plans. As long as we support his music and go the shows and support GNR, Axl doesn't need to prove anything else or meet any expectations because he still has an audience who are interested.

So its ok for people to claim the new band are "Better" than the old band but I say "wait and see when CD comes out" before comparing and I am all of a sudden the bad guy?

ben9785
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2008, 01:03:55 AM »

So its ok for people to claim the new band are "Better" than the old band but I say "wait and see when CD comes out" before comparing and I am all of a sudden the bad guy?

NO NO MAN. See as I said.

Regarding your posts, There may certain have been miscommunication/misunderstanding in terms of your intentions.

Nothing personal man, right?

Go back to the beginning of our own discussions in this thread. You can clearly see that I was getting defensive because I personally interpreted your posts as unjustly criticizing the current band members and their music.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »

Wait, wait. One thing is to talk about popularity and how the band will be judge once the album is released. Other thing is how YOU can like or respect them because YOU know the new band, the new songs (live or studio) and everything related to it.

Still, you already compared. And why the hell can't you if we (fans) already have many new songs?

See, if I can put a new song as one of the top 10 GNR songs of all time even if I didn't listen to a final version or the whole album, that tells a lot. Unless the rest of the album sucks big time, and that doesn't look like the pattern of the new songs.

In other hand, if you just can't like them that much, you may not like the new band as much as you wanted to.

All I am doing on this message forum is trying to represent the world as a whole. The whole history of music and the legacy of Guns N Roses and the legacy of Axl.
Wait, so you suddenly became the spokesperson of the outside world? Because of the way you just judged the new songs, I would say you represent A PART of the fans who still miss Slash so bad that makes you put the guy on a pedestal even if he's recent work is not on his old standard. 

Also, this is a message board about Guns N' Roses, which means the current band because that's what they are now. I dunno about you, but I came here to talk to fans about the band, I didn't come here to talk with people who react the exactly same way as a lot of non-fans out there. 

Im only stating that in the court of public opinion and the eyes of casual fans and critics, Their have to be amazing songs, great guitar solos, HIT SINGLES and the album has to do well or Axl will be fucking Trashed or destroyed in the court of public opinion.

Is it fair? NO

but unfortunately that is the way the media and the critics and everything works here.
It all depends of taste also. I already think the new songs are amazing, but I see people already trashing it. So, it started already, you don't need to wait for the album to realize that.

Again, the main point of the thread is "How has the members of GN'R inspired you?" and you started the whole pointless discussion about popularity as you claim to be the represent of the world. Maybe I should quote you as a reminder:

How can the new members inspire u when they havent released shit yet?

they inspire me cause maybe I can also cover my fav GNR songs in a sloppy way? ok
First, that wasn't respectful at all and complete ignore the new material. Funny when it came from a person who threated me as I was being disrespectful with his own material and even challenged me to write better songs than him. Tongue

Second, how the hell does that relates to the "outside" world? This is about what YOU think, not about what you think the band should be to the non-fans. So, this has nothing to do with popularity and overall reaction to the band.

I love this band and I dont care how many albums they sell or how many people like it or what the reviews say. Im gonna love it and I think its gonna be one of the greatest albums of all time.
Really?

they inspire me cause maybe I can also cover my fav GNR songs in a sloppy way? ok
Yeah, you must really love the new band. Roll Eyes

ben9785
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »

D, you can't deny that people here are completely 'misinterpreting' your posts.

Voodoochild spelled it out.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:40:21 PM by ben785 » Logged
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

D's posts have made perfect sense, and I totally understand what he's saying.

I am English, and I understand the posts completely.

I'm guessing a lot of the people here that have misinterpreted what he's said are not English speaking as a first language.

So D's posts are clear... you guys just have to stop jumping to conclusions, and work out what he means a little more before replying Smiley

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »

Well, did you read my last post?

He was talking about how the current line-up is just a "sloppy" cover band. He ignored the new songs just because they weren't released officially in an album. Then, he posted about how the "outside world", as he claims to be their voice, needs to wait for the album (if it had any influence on how has the members of current GNR inspired him, as the title of the thread asked). And finally, he compared the new songs to the previous material, but then he said it couldn't be possible to compare it till the album is released.

He made it all very clear, but there was no connection to the main question of the thread. I may not have English as a first language, but I don't think it's a matter of misunderstanding what he meant, but rather what this has to do with the topic.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: