Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Your Top Ten Album Closers
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top Ten Album Closers  (Read 8789 times)
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« on: March 11, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »

Thought it would be cool to see what people thought were their favorite songs to close out really good albums. Reasons don't matter, could be cause it's your favorite song from the album, it sums up the whole album to you, it just ends so bad ass theres no reason for the album to continue etc.

1. Coma-Guns N Roses: Use Your Illusion I UYI1 Is hands down my favorite album of all-time and this might be my favorite song. Obvious bias aside, there has never been a better ending to a song, so how could you not put it at the end of the album? Axl's lyrical outro on this song outdoes anyone who has ever picked up a pen.
2. Ashes In Your Mouth-Megadeth: Countdown To Extinction CTE is not Megadeth's best record, but extremely solid from beginning to End. And while the album was a departure from a sound Dave helped invent and millions copied, they close it out with one of the best Thrash songs ever written.
3. I Love The Dead-Alice Cooper: Billion Dollar Babies Alice at his finest! I contemplated choosing a song from one of Alice's more thematic albums, however I don't think any of them quite live up to how great this song is. It makes you laugh lyrically but is still good enough musically where the songs not just a joke.
4. Where Did You Sleep Last Night-Nirvana: Unplugged One of the last recordings Kurt ever did was in my opinion his finest. I like Nirvana, don't love em as much as some people, and I would say Kurt is hailed too much. However his performance on this song is mezmorizing to say the least. The inflection in the guitar and his vocals are incredible. One of those instances where an artist covers a song so well it becomes theirs.
5. Braineaters-Misfits: Walk Among Us This Was The Album That Got Me into The Misfits about ten years ago. I was around thirteen and had two strong passions in The Ramones and Horror movies. Discovering them was pretty mindblowing at the time. On an album full of infectious melodies and sing a-long chouruses this might be the most fun.
6. Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World-Ramones: Ramones One of the best things about the Ramones was their ability to poke fun at things with out being at all preachy. If theres any way a 2 minute punk song by 4 guys from Queens could have an epic ending this is it.
7. Night Prowler-Ac/Dc: Highway To Hell This choice is slightly aided by the fact Bon was one of my favorite singers ever and this si his last album recording, maybe giving it a slight nudge over "whole lotta rosie". Overall I just think between the two you could put Rosie anywhere on an album and it doesn't lose anything or feel out of place. Night Prowler belongs at the end. Nanoo Nanoo
8. Hallowed Be Thy Name-Iron Maiden: The Number Of The Beast One of Maidens best tracks ever. I've always preferred "Killers" & "Powerslave" over TNOTB, however this song is a great over-the-top-in-a-cool-maiden-way song that I feel represents a lot of the album musically and lyrically overall summing it up nicely.
9. Atlanta-Stone Temple Pilots: No. 4 Great Ballad to close out an album. Definitely one of the best ballads STP ever did. Another song I think would be out of place anywhere else on the album and def. the albums strongest track. Love the bells at the end.
10. Whorehouse Blues-Motorhead: Inferno Songs like these are why Lemmy says he always calls it rock n' roll instead of Metal, that way people can't pigeonhold you. On what is probably Motorheads heaviest album ever, and one of their best, the very last song is a bluesy little acoustic number with some cool "mouth harp blues". While thinking of this list of closers I started thinking of a bunch of stuff I like and realised how cliche it was for a lot of bands to close out a mostly rockin album with a acoustic song. I don't feel this particuarly falls under that category though. I mean really it sounds so different from the rest of the album it woulda been pretty strange anywhere besides the end.

Honorable Mention....
Rocket Queen-Guns N Roses: Appetitie For Destruction
Salt Of The Earth-Rolling Stones: Beggars Banquet
All Those Yesterdays-Pearl Jam: Yield
Amazing-Aerosmith: Get A Grip
Like Suicide-Soundgarden: Superunknown
Highway Zero-Izzy Stradlin: Ride On
Blue In The Face-Alkaline Trio: Good Mourning

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »

1. Hurt - Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral  One of the greatest albums ever, a beautiful concept album that almost resolves in this brilliant epilogue. Whether or not he dies I don't know, but either way this song ties up a very messy and dramatic album together perfectly. Not the same when performed live, sadly.
2. Wasted Time - Skid Row: Slave to the Grind  A truly great ballad. Overshadowed in their discography by the more obvious 18 and Life and I Remember You, this one has a more subtle sting in it. Lyrics are actually good. Music is great.
3. Time - Blind Melon: Blind Melon  One of the coolest intros I've ever heard, the song itself is a grower but a perfect way to let you down after the ride of that self-titled album.
4. Would? - Alice in Chains: Dirt  Kick ass song.
5. Rocket Queen - Guns N' Roses: Appetite for Destruction  Shows Guns' talent and versatility, using 3/4 and sweeter lyrics. Drastic switch in mood half-way through makes it unusual on Appetite.
6. Back and Forth Again - Snakepit: It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere  Slash playing at his bluesiest, Dover doing what he does, ending a very solid rock record with a powerful ballad that would've been an amazing Guns song, imo.
7. Luna - Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream  This album is a classic, the peak of SP, imo, and Luna is nice little SP love song that fits very well. Leaves you satisfied, ahving had enough and not sick of the album.
8. Long Way Home - Endeverafter: Kiss or Kill  Came out just last year, a new-ish glam-ish band that can really play, this song took me off guard at first. The acoustic, almost country feel, with Grant's voice more exposed and more organic, it's a beautiful song.
9. Letters From the Porcupine - Blind Melon: Nico  Shows Shannon's brilliance, in a very unclean, yet pure, way.
10. Freedom - Rage Against the Machine: Rage Against the Machine  A combination of a bunch of that albums material thrown together for an anthemic closer.

cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:26:32 AM »

Eclipe- Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon. The perfect close to the perfect album. Wraps it all up amazingly.
Kashmir- Led Zep: Physical Graffiti (Disk 1). Too awesome.
Rocket Queen- GnR: AFD. Great song of 'two halves'; from sleezy heavy rock to a more upbeat sounding close.
Ashes In Your Mouth- Megadeth: CTE. One of my favorite 'Death songs. Was damn happy that I decided to go to both Gigantour dates here and they pulled this one out on the second night.
Fear Of The Dark- Iron Maiden: Fear of the Dark. Amazing song, and a highlight in their entire catalogue. Allways amazing live.
Eyes Of A Stranger- Queensryche: Opperation; Mindcrime. Again, just a case of amazing song being the perfect close to a fantastic album. Awesome.
The Call of Ktulu- Metallica: Ride The Lightening. Epic song. Often overshadowed by Orion I think in terms of 'Tallica instrumentals.
Won't Get Fooled Again: The Who- Who's Next. Great all round, nothing more to say. Great music, great vocals, awesome song.
To Bid You Farewell: Opeth- Morningrise. Amazing accoustic progressive stuff.
On With The Show- Motley Crue: Too Fast For Love. May not 'measure up' to some of the other stuff, but I've always loved this song. Catchy music and vocals, good drumming. After reading The Dirt it was given a bit more depth.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »

War Within A Breath - The Battle Of Los Angeles - Rage Against The Machine
Cassandra Gemini - Frances The Mute - The Mars Volta
The Golden Core - Timothy's Monster - Motorpsycho
A Day In The Life - Sgt. Peppers - The Beatles
When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Hurt - Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails
Tea For One - Presence - Led Zeppelin
Paradise City - Live Era - Guns N' Roses
Rocket Queen - Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - Back In Black - AC/DC

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »

Hallowed Be Thy Name, (Iron Maiden: The Number Of The Beast)
Coma (Guns N' Roses: Use Your Illusion 1)
The Soundtrack Of My Life (Blaze: Blood And Belief)
Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution (AC/DC: Back In Black)
Champagne Supernova (Oasis: What's The Story Morning Glory?)
One Shot At Glory (Judas Priest: Painkiller)
Rocket Queen (Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction)
Grave-Dancer (Velvet Revolver: Libertad)
The Alchemisat (Bruce Dickinson: The Chemical Wedding)
The Alien (Slash's Snakepit: Ain't Life Grand)

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »

10: Todd Rundgren - Slut (Something/Anything?)
A cool, basic rock 'n' roll song at the end of a huge album full of pop, rock, jazz and probably everything else. Some funny lyrics too. Todd is half-singing, half-shouting by the end of it.

9: Sex Pistols - EMI (Never Mind The Bollocks)
Johnny Rotten blows a raspberry to end a legendary album and song. Awesome. ok

8: The Doors - The End (The Doors)
Although I don't have the album this song is on, it's still a brilliant song. Jim Morrison sounds kinda...evil on this one...

7: Motley Crue - Time For Change (Dr. Feelgood)
Kinda fitting that it ends their first post-rehab album. It might sound even cooler if the chorus had continued on as it fades out but whatever, I still like it.

6: Faith No More - Edge Of The World (The Real Thing)
Find me a better piano ballad about a paedophile. I dare ya...

5: Motorhead - Orgasmatron (Orgasmatron)
A bit slower than the average 'head song but it's definitely one of my favourites. You don't have to agree with the words but Lemmy sounds cool on this; "I am Mars, the god of war/And I will cut you down..."

4: AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie (Let There Be Rock)
Not much to say, I think most people know this one. Fat woman, stop-start section, Angus goes nuts with the guitar...

3: Led Zeppelin - Sick Again (Physical Graffiti)
When I first started listening to this song, Robert Plant kind of reminded me of Mick Jagger at times. He just sounds really cool singing on this.

2: Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen (Appetite For Destruction)
My favourite GNR song, but it's also a great way to end AFD. A couple of people have already mentioned the switch in mood, which I think sounds really good. I like it more than Coma Shocked...

1: Black Sabbath - The Writ (Sabotage)
Sabotage has all these multi-part songs on it, where a song starts and it's difficult to recognise by the time it finishes. The Writ has some great vocals from Ozzy and like Rocket Queen, it switches moods. Heavy metal to soft acoustic playing. It's one of my favourite "long songs".

Honourable mentions: Ozzy Osbourne - Road To Nowhere (No More Tears), Faith No More - Easy (Angel Dust), Aerosmith - Home Tonight (Rocks), The Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile (Sticky Fingers), Nickelback - Rockstar (All The Right Reasons), The Beatles - Her Majesty (Abbey Road) Grin

Oh, and I'm surprised that no one's mentioned LA Blues by The Stooges. Tongue
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:13:03 PM by BlowUpYourVideo » Logged

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:19:22 PM »

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town (Darkness on the Edge of Town) - Great, haunting song with hopeful and thooughtful lyrics. Perfect ending to his best album

Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland (Born To Run) - His best song. Great lyrics, and the most beautiful sax solo ever. I can't understand to this day how did he write this with 23, 24 years old.

Bruce Springsteen - New York City Serenade (The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle) - Great, jazzy track.

Guns n' Roses - Coma (UYI I) - One of the 3 best GNR lyrics, and the riffs are awesome too. The solo is great, and I don't even have to say anything about the outro, do I?

Guns n' Roses - Roquet Queen (Appetite for Destruction) - One of their best songs. Live it's better, but Izzy's rhythm are so clear in the studio version, and they're great!

The Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile (Sticky Fingers) - Great, underrated ballad. Noone knows this song, and it's a fucking great one, with one of the best vocals Mick Jagger has ever delivered.

The Rolling Stones - Salt of the Earth (Beggars Banquet) - Great song. I don't like this album THAT much. I know it's a classic, ans it's great, but not that great. This track stands out though.

The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want (Let it Bleed) - What can I say? A classic, and even though it's better live, when the acoustic guitar kicks in, it always gives me goosebumps.

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name (The Number of the Beast) - The best Iron Maiden song, with killer riffs, great vocals and awesome lyrics. You can picture the guy before and after his execution. It's also better live, but the studio version is great too.

Metallic - Call of Ktulu (Ride the Lightning) - Awesome riffs through the entire song.

Honorable mention: My World - Guns n' Roses  Tongue

lol, just kiddin'
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fungers - Moonlight Mile
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed - You can't always get what you want
The Rolling Stones - Some Girls - Shattered
The Rolling Stones - It's only Rock N' Roll - Fingerprint File
The Rolling Stones- Tattoo You - Waiting on a Friend
Guns N' Roses - AFD - Rocket Queen
Motley Crue - too fast for Love - On with the show
Motley Crue - DOD - anarchy in the U.K
Aerosmith - Rocks - Home Tonight
The Rolling Stones - Beggers Banquet - Salt of the Earth
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:46:14 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
qcmyoungwill
Headliner

Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »

This is a great thread by the way  beer

In no particular order:

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced - Freebird.  A classic song by one of the best bands ever.

GNR - AFD - RocketQueen.  I've loved this song since the album came out when I was 9.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - Moonlight Mile.  In my opinion, the Stones best all around album.  You could put anyone of the songs on Sticky Fingers at the end of the album and it would make this list.

Pro-Pain - The Truth Hurts - Switchblade Knife.   Angry METAL  Angry In my top 5 metal albums of all time.  The bands 1st album, Foul Taste of Freedom is better, but The Truth Hurts is angrier (which this song is) and has Ice-T on a track.

Primus - Frizzle Fry - Harold of the Rocks.  Not the last track on the album, but the last full song.  The genius of Les Claypool bleeds all over this song.

Overkill - The Years of Decay - E.vil N.ever D.ies.  The final song on what is, in my opinion, the best metal album ever.  If you like metal, you ought to own this.  Bobby Blitz is the MAN!

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - Rust in Peace... Polaris. Not only does Dave Mustaine shred on this song, he shreds on the whole album.  Probably 1b when it comes to my top metal albums.

Zeppelin - Coda... Houses of the Holy... IV... I - Hey, Hey What Can I Do... The Ocean... When the Levee Breaks... How Many More Times.  I'll let you decide.

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head - Namast?.  Try listening to this after smoking a j and not loving it.  I dare you.

The Allman Brothers Band - Self-Titles - Whipping Post.  Another album where you could have put any one of the songs last and it would have been on this list.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:06:57 AM by qcmyoungwill » Logged
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 05:49:34 PM »

Hardcore Superstar - Thank You (For Letting Us Be Ourselves) - Mother's Love

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Metallica - Ride The Lightning - The Call of Ktulu

Monster Magnet - Superjudge - Black Balloon

Silvertide - Show & Tell - Foxhole Jesus Christ

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction - Rocket Queen

Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I - Coma

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind - Wasted Time
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:12:32 PM »

Conjugal Burns - The Mars Volta

Pretty badass intro riff, epic all around song, amazing chorus and ending.  ok

Cassandra Gemini - The Mars Volta

a 30 minute beast of a song ( split into seven parts)

Knights of Cydonia - Muse

How badass is this song?  It's got the galloping feel in the beginning with an awesome vocal melody and then the second part is pretty much "rock out with your cock out" haha

Butterfly - Weezer

A quaint little closing song on an album full of distorted guitars and sometimes screaming vocals.

Bold As Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I don't even need to say that much about this song, everybody who has even thought about thinking about touching a guitar should have the album Axis: Bold As Love
ToEachesOwn
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »

I pretty much just stuck to the last 15 years for this thread.

10. Live - Gas Hed Goes West (Secret Samadhi)
There's something about Ed Kowalczyk when he hits the high notes in this song.  It's goosebump inducing.  A very simple song that allows the verses to build into thick choruses.
9. Stone Temple Pilots - Atlanta (No. 4)
Scott Weiland croons his way through this nice little ditty.  I love the way this song breaks down midway through.
8. Alice In Chains - Over Now (Alice In Chains)
Wow, what a song.  It starts off with "Taps" and then kicks into the recurring: "Yeeeeaaaaa it's over now"
7. 3 Doors Down - So I Need You (The Better Life)
Following the lines of the rest of the songs on "The Better Life", there's a sense of torture in this hard rocking love song. ("And if I jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge / Tell me would you still follow me?")
6. Garbage - You Look So Fine (Version 2.0)
Shirley Manson has the best voice of any female in rock.  This song caps off this amazing album with dreamy synths and her sultry voice.
5. Nirvana - All Apologies (In Utero)
I don't really like "In Utero" as a whole, but "All Apologies" is one of those classic songs that will always remind me of my younger days.
4. Smashing Pumpkins - The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning (Batman and Robin soundtrack)
The follow up to the faster paced "The End Is The Beginning Is The End".  Billy Corgan has a way of drawing you into his songs like no one else I've heard.  The industrial feel and his dark/amazing lyrics draw you in. ("delivered from the blast / the last of a line of lasts / the pale princess of a palace cracked / and now the kingdom comes / crashing down undone / and i am a master of a nothing place / of recoil and grace")
3. Nine Inch Nails - Hurt (The Downward Spiral)
Such an amazing song.  Trent really delivers one last blow to the troubled feel of "The Downard Spiral".
2. Sublime - Doin' Time (Sublime)
Windows down, driving around, and listening to this in the summer... does it get any better??
1. Matchbox Twenty - You Won't Be Mine (Mad Season)
I think I value this so highly because it's so unexpected.  This is one of the darkest... dreariest songs I've ever heard... and it's from Matchbox Twenty.  Shocked It starts off with a subtle piano part and then the strings kick in.  The song keeps building up as it progresses with Rob Thomas singing "Oh no, no you won't be mine" in a tone that makes it sound like he suffered the worst kind of heartbreak minutes before recording the vocals.  If you haven't heard this one, check it out.  It may surprise you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:51:29 PM by ToEachesOwn » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 08:54:45 PM »

10. Whorehouse Blues-Motorhead: Inferno Songs like these are why Lemmy says he always calls it rock n' roll instead of Metal, that way people can't pigeonhold you. On what is probably Motorheads heaviest album ever, and one of their best, the very last song is a bluesy little acoustic number with some cool "mouth harp blues". While thinking of this list of closers I started thinking of a bunch of stuff I like and realised how cliche it was for a lot of bands to close out a mostly rockin album with a acoustic song. I don't feel this particuarly falls under that category though. I mean really it sounds so different from the rest of the album it woulda been pretty strange anywhere besides the end.

Wow...nice call on that one!  Inferno owns.  Great album!

Anyway, t was very tough to pick just ten, but here goes, in no order:

Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution (AC/DC - Back in Black)

Fairies Wear Boots (Black Sabbath - Paranoid)

Coma (Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Iron Maiden - Powerslave)

When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin - IV)

Damage Inc. (Metallica - Master of Puppets)

Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'n?rd 'skin-'n?rd) )

Steal Away (The Night) (Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz)

Emerald (Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak)

Paradise/The Spell (Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards)

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »

You give Kiss a hard time but yet you listen to AC/DC?!!! The kings of bad writing!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:00 AM »

You give Kiss a hard time but yet you listen to AC/DC?!!! The kings of bad writing!

I'll agree that their songwriting is far from the most groundbreaking thing I've heard, but at least they play like they're enjoying themselves.  KISS sound bored to be there.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 08:17:48 AM »

I'll agree that their songwriting is far from the most groundbreaking thing I've heard, but at least they play like they're enjoying themselves.  KISS sound bored to be there.

Kiss don't deserve to smell Angus' Sweaty Shorts. Simple writing doesn't mean that it's bad.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 08:57:30 AM »

In no particular order

Guns N Roses - Rocket Queen
Skid Row- Wasted Time
Def Leppard- Billys Got a Gun
Hanoi Rocks- Back To Mystery City
Marilyn Manson-Coma White
Van Halen-On Fire
The Black Crowes-Stare It Cold
Can i pretend "they're read hot" didnt close blood sugar sex magic by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers n pretend "Sir Physco Sexy" did isntead cause that songs brill and is one before last.
Thin Lizzy- Roisin Dubh (Black Rose) - A Rock Legend
Airbourne- Lets Ride (i heard the australian version of the album first so)

Sorted.

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 03:37:58 AM »

Agree with a lot on here:

ROcket Queen
Coma
Wasted Time

Red hot Chili Peppers "Venice Queen" *By The Way CD"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Death of A Martian "Stadium Arcadium"

Prince Purple Rain is the ultimate album closer

Guns N Roses one In A Million

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 04:23:38 AM »

David Bowie: Rock 'N Roll Suicide (Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars)
GNR: Coma (UYI 1)
Bob Dylan: Sad Eyed Lady of the Low Lands (Blonde on Blonde)
Bruce Springsteen: Jungleland (Born To Run)
The Beatles: A Day In The Life (Sgt. Peppers)
Rolling Stones: You Can't Always Get What You Want (Let It Bleed)
Talking Heads: This Must Be The Place-Naive Melody (Speaking In Tongues)
Elvis Costello: Radio, Radio (This Years Model)
The Doors: Riders On The Storm (LA Woman)
The Kinks: Waterloo Sunset (Something Else by the Kinks)

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »

Prince Purple Rain is the ultimate album closer

How could i forget that. Good one. The ending solos especially, they always send shivers down my spine.

html sucks
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »

For today!

Guns N Roses - Coma (UYI1)
Tool - Third Eye (?nima)
A Perfect Circle - Brena (Mer De Noms)
Guns N Roses - Rocket Queen (Appetite)
Pantera - The Hollow (Vulgar)
Tool - Opiate (Opiate)
Nick Drake - Saturday Sun (Five Leavs left)
Queen - The Show must go on (Innuendo)
David Bowie - The Disco King (Reality)
Slayer - Aggressive Perfector (Reign In Blood)

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »

For today!

Tool - Third Eye (?nima)
Tool - Opiate (Opiate)

Not to nitpick, but "Aggressive Perfector" is a bonus track that appeared in later releases of Reign in Blood.  "Raining Blood" is the closer of the album as it was originally released.

Funny how I said "not to nitpick" and then chose to nitpick.  Why do we do that?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 10:17:19 PM »

For today!

Tool - Third Eye (?nima)
Tool - Opiate (Opiate)

Not to nitpick, but "Aggressive Perfector" is a bonus track that appeared in later releases of Reign in Blood.  "Raining Blood" is the closer of the album as it was originally released.

Funny how I said "not to nitpick" and then chose to nitpick.  Why do we do that?

I thought the same thing when I read that post earlier. And not to be even more obsessive or to...dare I say it...nitpick...but the song that closes Vulgar display of power is "Hollow". Not "the hollow".

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 08:10:08 AM »

For today!

Tool - Third Eye (?nima)
Tool - Opiate (Opiate)

wow.. i knew that.. But since i have the later release, i guess its the closer.. .. noo.. the remix of Criminally Insane is the closer.. but since it apperes twizzze!

haha.. This is the same thing, as when i yell to all Americans that belive there is a Tool album called Aenima

Holy FUCK! Its called ?nima!!!

And for... The Hollow, Hollow.. F??ck ?ff.. No one nitpick Maddy, Madagascar!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »

although ive done my top 10. i just felt like adding another random one since it came into my head.

The Damned- Smash it up

i love that song lol and it closes the album on a high note.

html sucks
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »

'Anywhere I Lay My Head' - Rain Dogs, Tom Waits

And there goes the challenger...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »

Excluding the obvious ones (GN'R, NIN "Hurt", Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" etc):

Artist: Pearl Jam
Track: Inside Job
Album: Pearl Jam (2006)

Classic PJ track on a great album.

Artist: Mark Lanegan
Track: Out Of Nowhere
Album: Bubblegum (2004)

Probably Mark's best solo album ends with this.

Artist: Alice In Chains
Track: Would?
Album: Dirt (1992)

The track that made me pay attention to AIC. Still one of my favorites.

Artist: The Clash
Track: Train In Vain
Album: London Calling (1979)

Classic!

Artist: Depeche Mode
Track: Clean
Album: Violator (1990)

My favorite Depeche Mode album of all time ends with one of my favorite songs by them.

Artist: Led Zeppelin
Track: When The Levee Breaks
Album: IV (1971)

Gotta have some Zeppelin on the list....

Artist: Screaming Trees
Track: Julie Paradise
Album: Sweet Oblivion (1992)

I don't know why this band didn't become more popular in the early 90s.

Artist: Soulsavers
Track: No Expectations
Album: It's Not How Far You Fall It's The Way You Land (2007)

This is how a cover should be.

Artist: Tommy Stinson
Track: Someday
Album: Village Gorilla Head (2004)

Too many people disregard this album as "yet another solo album by a GN'R member".

Artist: U2
Track: Love Is Blindness
Album: Achtung Baby (1991)

My favorite U2 album. Says it all.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »

"Artist: Led Zeppelin
Track: When The Levee Breaks
Album: IV (1971)"

Very good pick jarmo. That drum beat is CLASSIC.

html sucks
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »

Guns N' Roses - Rocket Queen (Appetite for Destruction)
Guns N' Roses - One in a Million (G N' R Lies)
Guns N' Roses - Coma (Use Your Illusion I)
Guns N' Roses - My World (Use Your Illusion II)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Hey (Stadium Arcadium [Disc 1])
Tool - Jerk-Off (72826 E.P.)
Tool - Opiate (Opiate E.P.)
Tool - Third Eye (?nima)
A Perfect Circle - Bre?a (Mer de Noms)
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt (The Downward Spiral)
Marilyn Manson - Coma White (Mechanical Animals)
Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me (Eat Me, Drink Me)
U2 - All I Want Is You (Rattle and Hum)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (pronounced 'lĕh-'n?rd 'skin-'n?rd)
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin IV)
Led Zeppelin - The Ocean (Houses of the Holy)
Led Zeppelin - Tea for One (Presence)
The Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance (Whatever People Say I Am...That's What I'm Not)
Live - Dance With You (The Distance to Here)
Lifehouse - Everything (No Name Face)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Farewell and Goodnight (Mellon Collie and the Inifinite Sadness)
Green Day - Macy's Day Parade (Warning)
The New Radicals - Crying Like a Church on Monday (Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too)
Tommy Stinson - Someday (Village Gorilla Head)
Eve 6 - Girl Eyes (Horrorscope)
Collective Soul - Happiness (Blender)
The Strokes - Take It or Leave It (Is This It)
Babyshambles - Merry Go Round (Down in Albion)
Death Cab for Cutie - Scientist Studies (We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes)
Weezer - O Girlfriend (The Green Album)
AC/DC - Night Prowler (Highway to Hell)
AC/DC - Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution (Back in Black)
Pink Floyd - Bike (Piper at the Gates of Dawn)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:25:03 AM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »

Subject to change.
The problem being I usually find closing songs are fairly lacklustre.

Artist: Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Album: Show Your Bones

Track: Deja Vu

Artist: Jack Johnson

Album: On & On

Track: Symbol in my Driveway

I wish I had a hundred million dollar friends.

Artist: Oasis

Album: Definitely Maybe

Track: Married With Children

Quite amusing, I think everyone's been there.

Artist: The Kills

Album: Keep On Your Mean Side

Track: Gypsy Death & You

Artist: Pink Floyd

Album: Dark Side Of The Moon

Track: Eclipse

A pretty perfect ending, as far as these things go.

Artist: Radiohead

Album: OK Computer

Track: The Tourist

Artist: Bruce Springsteen

Album: Born To Run

Track: Jungeland

One of the best saxophone solos, ever.

Artist: Bob Dylan

Album: Highway 61 Revisited

Track: Desolation Row

"Yes, I received your letter yesterday
(About the time the door knob broke)
When you asked how I was doing
Was that some kind of joke?
All these people that you mention
Yes, I know them, they're quite lame
I had to rearrange their faces
And give them all another name
Right now I can't read too good
Don't send me no more letters no
Not unless you mail them
From Desolation Row"

Enough said, really.

Artist: The Replacements

Album: Let It Be

Track: Answering Machine

Artist: Soulsavers

Album: It's Not How Far You Fall, It's The Way You Land

Track: No Expectations

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »

Not in any order and instead of listing every GNR album closer, I'll just include my favorite:

GNR - One in a Million (Lies)

R.E.M. - Track 11/Untitled (Green)

U2 - Yahweh (How to Dismantle...)

Rolling Stones - Salt of the Earth (Beggars Banquet)

Beatles - A Day in the Life (Sgt. Pepper)

Jane's Addiction - Pigs in Zen (Nothing's Shocking)

Sex Pistols - EMI (Never Mind the Bollocks)

The Who - We're Not Gonna Take It (Tommy)

Queen - Seven Seas of Rye (Queen II)

Bob Marley & the Wailers - Jamming (Legend)
mesha
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »

can't really think of 10 without restating some of the obvious ones but three of my favourite's would be:

For crying out loud - meat loaf (Bat out of hell)

I'm gonna crawl - Led zeppelin (In through the out door) for me personally this is the last song by zeppelin and was the end of the band, coda didn't do much for me tbh

Save a prayer - Bon jovi (Keep the faith) it's so not a bon jovi song if you listen to it but it's awesome nonetheless
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:59:28 AM by mesha » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: