Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228022 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Weiland Fires Back At Sorum: 'Ego And Jealousy Can Get The Better Of Anyone'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weiland Fires Back At Sorum: 'Ego And Jealousy Can Get The Better Of Anyone'  (Read 56889 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 01:25:29 AM »

what a fucking mess...its too bad...i dug VR....they were a cool rock n Roll band....and I will always worship the ground Slash, Duff and even Matt walk on for the rest of my life....even though everything went bad with them as far as Guns were concerned their contributions to GNR will last forever.. oh well so much for VR they are def done...i wouldnt be surprised if they pull out of the few gigs they have remaining....Matt Sorum can definitely be an asshole sometimes...look at all the shit he talked about how Axl was "so jealous" of VR back when Libertad came out....
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »

This is hardly surprising the major rift seems to be between these 2. At the core of it I don't think either respected one another both as a person and a musician.

When Matt made that comment in Rolling Stone about the world "not exactly waiting on an STP reunion" when comparing it to a potential GNR reunion, that right there was the kind of thing that sealed the band's fate. You can't demean your lead singer's former band like that in public, particularly one as accomplished as STP was(while they were never quite the international act, at least in the states they were one of the biggest rock bands of the 90's whether you enjoyed their music or not).

Matt sometimes seems elevate his stature  as a musician significantly more than warranted because he seems to forget that he was along for the GNR ride, and not responsible for it. How many occassions has he referred to himself in a way that would make you think he was the band's original drummer. I don't think Scott really respected him musically for the very fact he has made a career stepping into ready made situations after others did the heavy lifting to make a band popular. If I am Scott, I probably would have little patience for any of Matt's antics or preaching from a soapbox considering that up until VR his living was made playing more than half a show of other people's material every night. There have also been numerous accounts of Scott (and the rest of the band for that matter) wanting nothing to do with Matt and the groupie lifestyle he flaunted.

That is not to say that Scott always got along with the rest of the band, but I do think at his core he at least respected Slash and Duff if for no other reason than it is hard not to based on their past accomplishments. That is just not enough though, because if every member of the band does not respect one another it will crumble. From everything we have heard the past 5 years it has always been Scott and Matt that have been the oil and water, and it really was only a matter of time given the personalities until it imploded.

I also think Scott was increasingly unwilling to put up with whatever aggravation disinterest he had in the band because he had STP to fall back on. I think things may have played out slightly different if that wasn't waiting in the wings, as their would have been more effort put into working things out if there was no fallback.

Slash is more in demand than ever these days, so he will be just fine without VR. He will probably have a killer solo album with him wailing away with a roster of rock's best front men providing vocals. Duff seems to be at a place in life that he has enough outlets in the business world that he will easily be able to fill his spare time until he decides musically what direction he plans on going. Hopefully Dave saw the writing on the wall all along and saved some money. Matt will continue being Matt in his own little world.

I suspect this will be the last we ever see of Slash in a band though. He does not seem to be a fan of the drama, insecurity and eccentricities that go hand in hand with highly talented but mentally unstable frontmen the way Scott and Axl have been. I think he understands that to get to a certain level it is a necessary evil, but at this point in his career I just don't seem him voluntarily entering into a situation like that again in the future. It is too bad because I enjoy him and Duff being in a band together, but it may be time for everyone involved to find their own little niche without eachother.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 01:29:57 AM »

That could also be the reason why Scott apparently was arguing with the sound guy after singing fall to pieces.  Maybe demanding to have matt's mic volume lowerred.

Its funny how VR has almost paralleled Audioslave. They were both around for about 4-5 years, one had 2 albums the other 3, lead singer gets fed up and wants it to end, theres a reunion with one of the original bands....

But this raises the question of what the band will do about their 3 album record deal, I don't know if a greatest hits album is a possibility with only 2 albums of material.

They could find another singer .

but then again they may put out a live  disc or a hits/bsides disc.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »

I can't see any scenario in which Slash/Duff would ever consider carrying on as VR without Scott even if they legally could. Given the comments they have made over the years about similar matters I suspect they would not even consider it.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 01:37:31 AM »

That could also be the reason why Scott apparently was arguing with the sound guy after singing fall to pieces.  Maybe demanding to have matt's mic volume lowerred.

Its funny how VR has almost paralleled Audioslave. They were both around for about 4-5 years, one had 2 albums the other 3, lead singer gets fed up and wants it to end, theres a reunion with one of the original bands....

But this raises the question of what the band will do about their 3 album record deal, I don't know if a greatest hits album is a possibility with only 2 albums of material.

but then again they may put out a live  disc or a hits/bsides disc.

Im expecting a live album.....which would be awesome actually
KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 01:38:27 AM »

HA HA

Thats so funny ....two assholes arguin on public ! hihi

Scott nailed with this coment................................................. Funny though ? this is your FIRST band, as opposed to being a hired gun.

Thats the true rock sentence on this case.

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:32 AM »

I think he is talking about the one show where Paris Hilton messed around with them as did the guy from Whitestar , Duff sang its so easy and Matt did Patience.

But he's talking about picking up a guitar and soloing over Slash's playing. Not playing Slash's stuff when Slash isn't there...

It sounds like he thinks Matt is singing over his vocals so that people can't hear him, they hear Matt singing instead.

/jarmo

Yeah or it might not even been that but maybe Matt stepping up to sing when Scott was away pissed him off but then again Duff did this as well. So you could have a point , but really it's sad how immature this has gotten lol.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:51 AM »

was Matt not the original drummer of The Cult?? I have no idea I know nothing about them other than that song they did for Gone in 60 seconds
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 01:42:42 AM »

I think he is talking about the one show where Paris Hilton messed around with them as did the guy from Whitestar , Duff sang its so easy and Matt did Patience.

But he's talking about picking up a guitar and soloing over Slash's playing. Not playing Slash's stuff when Slash isn't there...

It sounds like he thinks Matt is singing over his vocals so that people can't hear him, they hear Matt singing instead.

/jarmo

Yeah or it might not even been that but maybe Matt stepping up to sing when Scott was away pissed him off but then again Duff did this as well. So you could have a point , but really it's sad how immature this has gotten lol.

I personally would rather hear Duff and Matt sing "its so easy" than Scott....Duff helped write the damn thing...
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 01:45:55 AM »

/jarmo

I personally would rather hear Duff and Matt sing "its so easy" than Scott....Duff helped write the damn thing...

Yeah of course some of us would prefer that , but maybe he took it as a slap in the face you know. After that statement that Scott made this could have many twists and turns we don't even know about.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:37 AM »

was Matt not the original drummer of The Cult?? I have no idea I know nothing about them other than that song they did for Gone in 60 seconds

No.

He joined the band after they had recorded Sonic Temple.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 02:02:25 AM »

No.

He joined the band after they had recorded Sonic Temple.

/jarmo

I didn't even know that , I mean I'm not a hard core Cult fan but I thought he was the original , but after some checking he joined when the tour started for Sonic Temple right? Anyways that ( IMO ) is a pretty big insult to Sorum ,  I mean he is basically first of saying you don't know how a band REALLY works and then he goes on to talk about "since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children" thats some deep insults.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 02:04:15 AM »

To me Sorum's quite the douche.  He always seems to enjoy running his mouth regardless about who it is.  I absoluted loved Scott's "hired gun" pitch though.  Hilarious.  I hope Scott finds peace once again alongside STP, which is where he belongs.  Velvet Revolver was never really anything special for me other than a "supergroup" that ran it's course for far too long.  

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 02:19:29 AM »

He does not seem to be a fan of the drama, insecurity and eccentricities that go hand in hand with highly talented but mentally unstable frontmen the way Scott and Axl have been.

That's one of the most unintelligent statements I've read in awhile. And it comes from an otherwise supposedly intelligent poster.
Saying Axl is mentally unstable is pretty uninformed and insulting. Labeling Scott as highly talanted is just ridiculous. And putting them both in the same category is a sacrilege.

As for Slash, all he can do now is go ahead and write another self-serving biography setting the record straight onto how exactly the VR break happened. His solo record is likely to be less profitable than that.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 02:29:42 AM »

That's one of the most unintelligent statements I've read in awhile. And it comes from an otherwise supposedly intelligent poster.

Are you surprised? Something negative happens in the wonderful magical world of VR and Axl has to be mentioned.

Says a lot....

As for Slash, all he can do now is go ahead and write another self-serving biography setting the record straight onto how exactly the VR break happened. His solo record is likely to be less profitable than that.

A new book? Nah, just a revised edition of the same old book with an added chapter "setting the record straight regarding VR's break up".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 02:35:43 AM »

He does not seem to be a fan of the drama, insecurity and eccentricities that go hand in hand with highly talented but mentally unstable frontmen the way Scott and Axl have been.

Saying Axl is mentally unstable is pretty uninformed and insulting. Labeling Scott as highly talanted is just ridiculous. And putting them both in the same category is a sacrilege.

I agree, that mentally unstable remark was uncalled for.  Scott Weiland is a drug addict.  That doesn't make him "mentally unstable".  Axl may have issues, he may have bipolar disorder, but that doesn't make him "mentally unstable".  More importantly, Axl has nothing to do with Velvet Revolver  ok

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 02:39:12 AM »

Actually Scott had another tour cancelled when STP were suppose to open for Kiss' big comeback tour in makeup and his drugs fucked up their opening slot.

Anyhow, I am on Scott's side here.

I have always loathed Matt Sorum and thought he was a fucking prick.

"Whats with the piano?"

Fuck that guy!

also, I think its fair to say that Axl isn't or wasn't the easiest guy in the world to work with. Im not sure thats an insult.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:42:43 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 02:41:24 AM »

Actually Scott had another tour cancelled when STP were suppose to open for Kiss' big comeback tour in makeup and his drugs fucked up their opening slot.

Anyhow, I am on Scott's side here.

I have always loathed Matt Sorum and thought he was a fucking prick.

"Whats with the piano?"

Fuck that guy!

Really? I think Scott's actions where very unprofessional like. I think Scott needs to think before he speaks , I'm siding with Sorum on this one.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 02:41:41 AM »

I am not going to get into the merits of Axl's mental stability with you.  To try and say though he is anything but a live wire that could go off at any time given all the episodes over the past 20 years is certainly a stretch. Axl himself has alluded to this sort of thing himself over the years, so I am hardly making a slanderous comment.

You don't have to like Scott or his music, but you don't front 2 platinum selling bands, play in front of as many people, sell as many records, win a grammy, and be considered one of rock's best front men without a little talent. He has had too long and successful a career to be a talentless hack. It obviously isn't at the level of what GNR had accomplished, but compared to 98% of the rest of the rock bands of the past 15 years he is at or near the top of the list in terms of achievement. To try and argue otherwise just demonstrates an inability to separate your distaste for him from the facts on the ground.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

Scott isnt gonna get any love on this forum after the way he trashed Axl but even the biggest hater of Scott can't deny his talent.

He isn't an Axl level talent but then again not many are.

Scott is certainly higher up than most frontmen.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: