Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  11 Reasons You Should Never Get A Job
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 11 Reasons You Should Never Get A Job  (Read 7454 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »

I made my company an additional 50k last month. Wonder where that money will go.

Who cares? You signed up for a job and accepted a pay scale for that job. Perhaps they reinvested it into the business, which would give you more job security.

I never got the impression there was nothing to it. You'll most likely have to work harder. Point is you actually reap the rewards in that scenario, opposed to getting a mug and a t-shirt for Christmas.

Every job is different, you are painting with rather broad brush strokes doncha think?

And what's his advice? Grow some balls, take some chances, do something valuable with your time?

Again, the author doesn't approach the subject honestly IMO. You can work for somebody else and still end up investing wisely, refusing to follow mass marketing driven impulse buying and retire early. It's not how much you make, it's what you do with what you make. I've seen plenty of business owners go back to their days jobs for many different reasons, none of them had anything to do with lack of courage.

You obviously took that advice, so what's the problem? I don't see any ponzi schemes, just opportunities.

There are opportunities everywhere if you have the courage to go after them, I agree, but you also have to bring many other things to the table besides "balls." I despise writers who proclaim the ease of such endeavors.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »

But I also got stuff going on the side.

Good.

When you are ready to expedite your vision, I'd recommend an open line of credit, cash on the sidelines, an optimistic attitude, the willingness to work your ass off to no end, and of course big balls. When you put it all on the table like that, that's the real deal-not what that article says.

P.S. You may be surprised to find yourself day dreaming about your old job before you know it.

Edit: When you get your own business running, would you consider the people who work for you "Morons"? Just curious.

I did most of my work myself and subbed out the jobs that made the most sense to me. Not once would I consider these guys morons.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:00:16 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 04:31:38 AM »

Funny how I'm proven right on this just days after I posted it.

Yeah, I'll come out and say it;

If you work for a salary you're a fuckin idiot.
If you trust some 'boss' to help you out, you're a fuckin idiot.
If you think a contract is binding, you're a fuckin idiot.
If you think anyone above your paygrade gives a shit about you, you're a fuckin idiot.
If you think this 'system', or machine as I like to call it, is there to help you, you're a fuckin idiot.

Go rob a bank, sell some drugs, live in the woods, disability, whatever. Anything is better than being sucked dry until you croak by this life sucking system designed to make the elite more powerful. Democracy? Hah! What a joke! Rights? What was that again? Solidarity? Loyalty? Boofuckin hooo, kiss my ass!!!

Swing to the rhythm of the new world order folks.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 10:25:51 AM »

If you think anyone above your paygrade gives a shit about you, you're a fuckin idiot.
If you think this 'system', or machine as I like to call it, is there to help you, you're a fuckin idiot.

Go rob a bank, sell some drugs, live in the woods, disability, whatever. Anything is better than being sucked dry until you croak by this life sucking system designed to make the elite more powerful. Democracy? Hah! What a joke! Rights? What was that again? Solidarity? Loyalty? Boofuckin hooo, kiss my ass!!!

What happened to polluxlm 2.0 that had decided to 'always look on the brighter side of life'?  I liked that version.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 12:26:24 PM »

That's just dumb on so many levels.    Entrepreneurial spirit is great, but that doesn't meant that nobody should have a "job" and everyone should be running their own business to "stick it to the man". 

Silly, silly thread that smacks of MLM brainwashing type propaganda. 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
SLCPUNK
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 03:22:40 PM »

I went to a job interview today.  Grin
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »

I went to a job interview today.  Grin

That's awesome. I went to a job interview with Verizon Wireless and security is so tight there that they hand-cuffed me before they would allow me to talk.  nervous

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

Someone has to work. Not everyone can be entrepreneurs. Marx was wrong, there is no utopia in which everyone can fulfill his/her potential and destiny. Someone has to collect the trash and work in the factories and serve the burgers.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »

So Polluxm, if you're gonna start your own company, who you gonna get to work for you?

Whether you like it or not, the world economy depends on the people who feel the urge to go and get a job.

If they didn't exist, there would be no bosses, money, or anything really ...

Then you wind up like this guy ...

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
SLCPUNK
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »

Someone has to work. Not everyone can be entrepreneurs. Marx was wrong, there is no utopia in which everyone can fulfill his/her potential and destiny. Someone has to collect the trash and work in the factories and serve the burgers.

The world needs ditch diggers too!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2008, 04:18:35 AM »

The business owner, or entrepreneur is synonymous with "gambler." It's nothing but risk.

I dont usually post in this section - or any other section for that matter anymore - but this topic is somehow interesting. 

I dont particulary agree with SLC's post above for a great number of reasons...A business owner or an entrepreneur is not a gambler. Sure is an element of risk, but I wouldnt say you could label the business owner as a gambler especially if the business owner has an specifically planned the business venture he's about to get in. This doesnt guarantee any kind of success at alll though, however, if you have define a good marketing plan and cover all possible angles, your success % does obviously increase a whole lot.

Money is important obviously to get started, but only to some point. It's funny how everytime I bring up this conversation with friends they all tell me they would start this or that business if they had the money...but I guarantee you they wouldnt' even if they had it.

Starting a business requires faith, will and perseverance. Not too mention...a lot of SACRIFICE. This means, forget about time off for a long long time...Forget about normal working hours, taking weekends off and going on holidays just like everybody else...you have to comitt yourself to your cause. BTW, this also means, forget about going out, spending money on whatever things you like and so on....

You have to be willing to give that up for at least a few years. In order to succeed, you must do what others are not willing to do...that's the only way to go.

Like some other poster mentioned, not everyone can do this. Some people feel more comfortable having a normal job rather than being a slave of your own business. And that's very recommende. Trust me, starting a business it's really painful...if you run your own business, it WILL have a huge impact on your personal LIFE. You will become a SLAVE of your business...you will work 70 hours a week at least to get it going.

However...eventhough this may not sound appealing to anybody, it does have some positive things. More money (much more than what you will ever make working for somebody else), more time and more freedom (once you have an establish business that generates cash for you almost in autopilot that is).

If anyone is on the verge of starting a business...the first thing I recommend is to give it some thought first. The reason why 95% of all start ups fail is simply because the entreprenuer never expects what it does actually take to run a business. He or she just simply gets started not knowing what in the world is she or he getting into. First thing to do, prepare yourself (at least emotioanlly that is).

Then you can start by sketching your marketing plan, your niche, look for your competitors, design your product or service....all of the above before you even consider getting started.

If you comitt yourself to this for a bit amount of time and are serious about it....money ALWAYS comes your way. Could this be a bank loan, capitalists, money your familiy or friends are willing to put in....there's always ways to get money if you want to start a business. Fact is, 99% of the people who start a business don't have the money to begin with....so that makes you wonder how they get it.

Anyway, this post is vague though...I could go on and on for hours, but just wanted to point out a few important aspects that have had an impact on my personal experience.

peace

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:20:46 AM by Ignatius » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »

I dont particulary agree with SLC's post above for a great number of reasons...A business owner or an entrepreneur is not a gambler.

Sounds like you misunderstand where I'm coming from. You may define the word differently, but when I say "gambler" I don't mean, throwing it all out there without a thought. There is significant financial risk involved and I'd say a lot more than "an element of risk". (But then again, that's open for interpretation too right?)

In my book, an entrepreneur is a gambler, 100% risk taker. No matter what the margins are, he/she is still assuming risk on many different levels. But I don't mean they are some bonehead just rolling the dice (Well, some might be), and I don't think I eluded to that anywhere in my posts.

The rest of what you posted, I agree with, and have already said myself.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:50:19 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: