Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:10:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 727929 times)
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4660 on: March 21, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »

If other people dig him that's cool, but when I saw GnR in 2006, Robin was easily the weakest link for me.

I didn't think much of his soloing in general... Consistently off-key bends, slightly grating tone and neither a great facsimile of the original nor an exciting new approach. And I thought his solo spot was one of the worst I've seen at a 'big' show. Maybe it was a bad night for him... But it certainly wasn't very impressive.  I also don't hear anything playing-wise on CD by him that is particularly mind-blowing. Competent? Sure... But not super distinctive or "Holy Shit! Check That Out!!!" awesome by any stretch for me. I really don't think he's anything that special as a guitarist...

Thank God, some sense! this is an informed statement because you probably know a thing or two about guitar, or perhaps play yourself, and recognise that although competent, robin is no god...j......ust run of the mill. People get upset if you dont bow to Robin, and if you do have a pop they bring up slash and buckethead (very tiring), when they were never mentioned as a comparison in the first place

People get upset when members come in a thread that is specifically for a new member and degrade his guitar playing skills. 

It?s not the ?Robin Rules? thread, it?s a thread wondering whether he?s still in the band or not... And in that context I don?t think it is unreasonable for people to discuss and debate what they think of his playing and whether they like him in the band or not.
I mean, obviously a lot of people love him here, that?s cool... But some (who ARE still fans of the band) don?t and I don?t see why they shouldn?t be able to voice that dislike of his playing on a thread that was set up to discuss his future in the band... It?s not like people were crashing a ?Robin Appreciation Thread?.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:55:23 AM by demo23nz » Logged
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4661 on: March 21, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »

He made an amazing job in Shacklers, Catcher, Scraped and Riad. But if "from scratch" you mean a whole song, try Breaking, from his solo album Normal.
Im not saying Ron is bad. Hes very good. And Im sure hes capable of creating some great stuff for GNR. Time will tell. You dont have to tell me about his solo work because I have his Anthology album. He sent it to me mad long ago when he was first rumored to be auditioning/playing with GNR. Its a very cool and fun album.
Still, Normal and Abnormal are both better albums IMHO. Still, I insist to check the song (couldn't find anything on YouTube better than this game mod from Guitar Hero 2 with the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp3lpPsip5Y ). Its as great as his solo in Catcher.

But you cant compare him to Bucket or Robin in terms of GNR....not yet atleast.
Well, I'm not comparing, but I can. We have Riad, who previously had Robin and Bucket solo. As much as I love both, Ron did a better job with his regular/fretless solo in the final version.

dude co'wrote one song and the only cool parts of it are the bucket additions and the one riff before the angry axl vocals.
Just go to any Better thread and see how many praises Robin's solo at the end. Are YOU kidding yourself?

Watch somebody on Youtube play Better. Any guitar player with 6 months experience could play it.
And play it wrong, with the wrong chords, wrong riffing and wrong solos.

And your point is...? What if a song is easy to play? SCOM is fucking easy. Patience is beyond ridiculous. Does that make them less great?

I just don't understand why people act like it is this huge loss if the guy fucked axl over again and left him high and dry. Once again, I say good riddance. If u don't want to be in GNR, get the hell out but stop coming back like its some open house.
Who said he doesn't want to be in GNR? As far as we know, all Robin wanted was to keep in moving. That's why he already showed interest in touring with Axl again.

Anyways, I just don't understand why people act like it is their choice. If you don't like Robin, get the hell out of this thread. He's all over the album, will probably be in the next one and still has a likely scenario to be back in the camp.

demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4662 on: March 21, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »

I don't believe for one second that these three guys in question were picked to be in GN'R because they're less than great. Do you?

We're not talking about people who happened to be in the same bar at the same time anymore.

Suggesting the original lineup was just a product of who happened to be in the bar at the same time, if that's what you're doing, is kinda simplistic, no?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:12:19 AM by demo23nz » Logged
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4663 on: March 21, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »

If you don't like Robin, get the hell out of this thread.

Why?

Why should whether or not someone likes Robin's playing have any impact on their suitability to particpate in a thread speculating on his future with the band?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:13:43 AM by demo23nz » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4664 on: March 21, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »

Suggesting the original lineup was just a product of who happened to be in the bar at the same time, if that's what you're doing, is kinda simplistic, no?

Because I didn't.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4665 on: March 21, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »

If you don't like Robin, get the hell out of this thread.

Why?

Why should whether or not someone likes Robin's playing have any impact on their suitability to particpate in a thread speculating on his future with the band?

1) I was using D's words but applying to him. Don't put it out of context.

2) Yes, this thread is about Robin's situation. But theres people using it like a bash fest.

norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #4666 on: March 21, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »

He made an amazing job in Shacklers, Catcher, Scraped and Riad.

Yeah, I love the solo in Shackler, it's a really like geek-shredding but it just works.

Now, I do prefer Bucket's more melodic, pretty lines but Rob is amazing playing the old solo's. YCBM f.x peace

PS/

The solo in scraped is Bucket, no?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:22:35 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4667 on: March 21, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »

The solo in scraped is Bucket, no?
No. Bucket plays the outro.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4668 on: March 21, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »

I meant the riff etc

the solo is great that Robin Does so my fault for overlooking that.

I just have never liked Robin's style of playing. He has a sloppy, herky jerky style that I personally just don't like.

DJ Ashba has a very nice style that should fit GNR well.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4669 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »

Glad it's finnaly been sorted.
Never minded Robin, but after seeing them live he was deffinatly the weak link for me. I loved Richards and Rons solo spots, but Robins was over indulgent, dull and in general, boring.
I like his playing on ChiDem, but his playing of the old stuff left a bit to be desired. People know those songs and solos so well, so when the phrasings muddled, the bends are off etc. it's just detrimental to the songs and the band and even the crowd.
And I've never been a fan of the 'unique' argument. If a friend of mine was a singer and he was terrible, after asking me what he thought I'd say "well, it was unique". 'Unique' means nothing.
Anyway, after two times of leaving the band for seemingly greener pastures, thanks for your contribution, but good riddance. What was the saying 'get on board or fuck off'? A band needs loyalty, not members looking out for their own backs all the time.
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #4670 on: March 21, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »

well I guess this threat will end soon cuz the answer is: LEAVING
volcano62
VIP

I Am Inconquerable

« Reply #4671 on: March 21, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

well I guess this threat will end soon cuz the answer is: LEAVING

yeah!

Montreal 1992
Quebec City 2006
Montreal 2010
Ottawa 2010
Quebec City 2013
Montreal 2013
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #4672 on: March 22, 2009, 12:45:37 AM »

I wish Robin would step and let us know why he decided to move on. the fukin gave like 1 dam interview in 10 + yrs. unreal.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #4673 on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:56 AM »

I wish Robin would step and let us know why he decided to move on. the fukin gave like 1 dam interview in 10 + yrs. unreal.

because he's doing NIN now?   whats there to explain?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #4674 on: March 22, 2009, 01:01:10 AM »

dude your corny give it up.

Robin cant give an interview or letter or whatever on his site to his gnr fans? Robin can make all kinds of crazy photo collages, etc, yet he cant tour with NIN and say what happened at the same time? no

It would be nice for him to talk about his time with the band, with Axl, the making of, the final cuts of CD, and why he bolted when it finally came out.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #4675 on: March 22, 2009, 01:03:03 AM »

you're fucking corny.  you are on here whining because robin won't write you a letter.   what the fuck does it matter?    he is touring with NIN, the same as he was a year ago.   That is why he is not going to be touring with GnR now.    He decided he wanted to do NIN.   That was his decision.  He doesn't owe you a damn thing, and certianly doesn't need to write you a letter explaining himself to you.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #4676 on: March 22, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »

you're fucking corny.  you are on here whining because robin won't write you a letter.   what the fuck does it matter?    he is touring with NIN, the same as he was a year ago.   That is why he is not going to be touring with GnR now.    He decided he wanted to do NIN.   That was his decision.  He doesn't owe you a damn thing, and certianly doesn't need to write you a letter explaining himself to you.

Does he owe it to me or us? Of course not. Just said it would be nice if he did.

Your way too serious of a dude Jimbo. You need to calm down and stop acting like its a shock for someone to want to know why they left a band. Grow up.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #4677 on: March 22, 2009, 01:12:15 AM »

we know why!   to join another band.  maybe he didn't actually think CD was on its way out.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #4678 on: March 22, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »

maybe maybe not. Ive been saying that all along ok

but he could have left NIN when the other guys in NIN left or left whenever he wanted to leave for GNR. He obiviously chose NIN over NINII. Why? Hence my hopes for an interview from the bird man. Plus I always wanted hear him talk about the band and the whole process. GNR from 2001 -2006ish wasnt just about Axl for me  ok

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4679 on: March 22, 2009, 01:38:27 AM »

dude your corny give it up.

Once again with the insults.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: