Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 08:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227976 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  What albums are your "must own" albums?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What albums are your "must own" albums?  (Read 12827 times)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »

I've done that thing where I reply twice to a post, one either side of the original posters reply to my reply. And everything's a mess. I'll try and rescue it.

Maybe you just overplayed appetite?

I know i have, i barely listen to guns n roses at all. I still love them, and i love watching live bootlegs of them still. But i rarely listen to them at all because i think i played them so much in my early teen years. Sometimes ill have a sudden burst of listening to all there albums in a day. But i dont consistently listen to them loads now. Same with my favorite band of the 00s CRASHDIET i dont listen to them very often either anymore. Lately ive just been shooting out into various different genres, i checked out The Sisters of Mercy and really dug on them, yet i also checked out (yes they are cheesy but the songs are still good) Danger Danger and really dug on them also. Two totally different bands.

Another artist i used to listen to loads and now i never listen to, but still like, Marilyn Manson.

Im unsure if it is my stage of life or just over playing them.

I've wondered that for years. You're spot on when it comes to Appetite... At least that's what I thought at first. But it's been years since I was giving it a regular spin. When I was in around year 8/9 I used to have a playlist in WMP with AFD and both Illusions that I just used to repeat. I did it to death.

But the thing is, I do still revisit the Illusions. I love them!, though unfortunately that also means that I can hardly listen to them. Because I did indeed, play them to death. Such a shame...

Appetite is different though. I think that I was a different person at the time. I, too, used to love Marilyn Manson. Seriously, I was so into him. But now...

Not only is there no connection, but I find it difficult to discover why there ever was one. I mean, sure, Mechanical Animals is still fun to throw on now and again, but I wouldn't dream of touching Holy Wood. And I love that album.

Maybe I did play them to death? Maybe I am a different person...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »

Fuck me I hate reading my posts back. Eloquent I certainly ain't!

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »

maybe we're just getting on a bit jim Wink

im 18 going 50 and your 21 going 70  hihi

And yes the final cut is the name of it. I havent listened to Floyd for quite some time. I must give them a blast again soon.

I think its because its, ok well supposed to be but this is england, summer, i often listen to more catchy fun rock music and funk because it just fits the feel of the day.

Whereas winter is when i listen to my more depressing weird music.

Alot of albums i love have lost appeal as of late, i fucking love Skid Row-Slave To The Grind but i rarely listen to it anymore, however, the other day i put it on start to finish after not listening to it for ages and it blew me away.

Im still very very into def leppard, ive been big into them for over a year now so i guess they are my current musical addiction which (sadly) ill probably over play and need to go listen to some other bands albums lots.

However, most of the albums i dont listen to often ,i do have the urge to go back to sometimes.

But some artists i dont think ill ever get back into, the nu-metal bands i liked when i was 10 till bout 13 i dont like at all now, i tried to listen to them recently n just couldnt find what i liked in them.

html sucks
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2008, 08:43:10 PM »

I guess I'm someone else who needs to join the list of, I played Appetite too much I can barely listen to it, I think it's purely down to caning the album to death, I mean I still like it and appreciate it if I hear it, but the WOW factors gone and I have no real urgency to play it these days.  It's good in a way, there's so much music to go through I don't have the time to be revisiting album after album, especially when I decide to get into bands with 20+ albums.....
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

Haha, don't, nail head and on and all that. I'm still working my way through Pink Floyd!

Heaven help me when I get into Dylan. What is he, pushing fifty albums?

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

Haha, don't, nail head and on and all that. I'm still working my way through Pink Floyd!

Heaven help me when I get into Dylan. What is he, pushing fifty albums?

Of original material I think it's in the 30-40 region.

I started down the Pink Floyd route about 3 or so years back.  Borrowed all my mates album and ripped 'em to my computer, but since that's blown up I'm back to square one, I do, intend to buy them....eventually, for now I'll just have to settle for my DVD of The Wall.

The Who has kind of been on my maybe list for a while, watching a UFC Vid today inspired me to download (and soon buy if I like it...) Who's Next after hearing Baba O'Reilly....I tink....something like that anyway.

On this must own albums list then, is it a must own now, or do we count ones we formerly thought you must own before overplaying and if you don't own them you obviously haven't caned them so you should own them, to get to the point of not really feeling the need to listen to them....
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »

Haha (Christ, I almost typed lol there), it's looking more like the latter by the hour.

Aye!, Baba O'Reily be it, and it's a class opener to a classic album! Thinking about it, Who's Next also has possibly the best closer in rock history in Won't Get Fooled Again...

The Who are a fantastic band to get into because while there is clear progression their albums aren't leaps ahead or behind of each other... If you know what I mean. I mean, I would think that it is difficult to like just one Who album.

Also, Keith Moon pretty much taught me single handedly to really appreciate what a drummer can bring to a band! I know that it's almost cliche, but his drumming really is extraordinary and, in all honesty, I am yet to hear anybody (in a decent rock band...) that comes anywhere close.

Oh, and I'm still working on the Tom Petty. Picked up the double disc best of a while back. Given it a few spins, but not enough...

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2008, 09:26:55 PM »

Oh, and I'm still working on the Tom Petty. Picked up the double disc best of a while back. Given it a few spins, but not enough...

Well if you have a little spare cash (doubtful...at best), the Playback DVD is a nice companion, should be farely cheap on ol' play.com and his videos are very good.

On the subject of "must own" albums, aren't we better listing those that we consider must own but many may not, so this works as a suggestion thread for people rather than 10 pages of....

Number of the Beast
Appetite for Destruction
Black Album
Master of Puppets
Nevermind

etc.

I mean anyway who's ever picked up a few editions of classic rock at the right time of year or gone on the right website will have seen the annual cliched list of those must have albums which we all know about anyway....

....I mean I purposely put AT and SOG since they are different from the normal lists yet uber fantastic and as the title suggests....must own...so to speak.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »

strangely enough Jim i love alot of Tom Petty songs and i have a greatest hits disk and love all of that.

i did listen to two other albums recently, the torpedoes one and full moon fever and enjoyed them but didnt find myself really putting them on again. :S

I think the only era i may not be too keen on is the era where he uses alot of synths...it just sounds weird with his style and a bit dated since its very 80s keys sounding.

html sucks
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2008, 09:57:41 AM »

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:01:08 AM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »

Lets get back on subject here.

A lot of the albums that were listed aren't Must Owns in my opinion.

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
Oasis - Definatley Maybe

those are 2 albums that are must owns...

several kinks albums aren't must owns, no matter how much you want to argue...

Also all of NIN's albums aren't all Must owns..

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »

Oasis - Definatley Maybe

Well that's all subjective.  I HATE Oasis, so for me, those are must NOT owns.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »

Oasis - Definatley Maybe

Well that's all subjective.  I HATE Oasis, so for me, those are must NOT owns.

And i would say they are XD, two great albums in my opinion.

html sucks
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

Very subjective. No such thing as a must own album. Although a room full of bees sound better than Oasis. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 03:05:31 PM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
greendog
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »

Oasis - Definatley Maybe

Some opinions are laughable.

smoking

Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

You what? Welcome to negative karma oblivion.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2008, 12:18:23 AM »

Haha (Christ, I almost typed lol there), it's looking more like the latter by the hour.

Aye!, Baba O'Reily be it, and it's a class opener to a classic album! Thinking about it, Who's Next also has possibly the best closer in rock history in Won't Get Fooled Again...

The Who are a fantastic band to get into because while there is clear progression their albums aren't leaps ahead or behind of each other... If you know what I mean. I mean, I would think that it is difficult to like just one Who album.

Also, Keith Moon pretty much taught me single handedly to really appreciate what a drummer can bring to a band! I know that it's almost cliche, but his drumming really is extraordinary and, in all honesty, I am yet to hear anybody (in a decent rock band...) that comes anywhere close.

Who's Next is the first album that I ever listened to.

Do pick up the re-issue with the bonus tracks, you won't be disappointed.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2008, 07:07:32 AM »

You what? Welcome to negative karma oblivion.

lmao!

Damn that was harsh XD  hihi

html sucks
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »

I'm adding Sabotage by Black Sabbath to this list (if indeed we have a list here).

Get it. Right now.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 07:41:41 AM »

I'm adding Sabotage by Black Sabbath to this list (if indeed we have a list here).

Get it. Right now.

Good choice, that album has some brilliant riffs on it for the time.

I love the badass cowbell riffage in....*forgets song title* but the song where its all slow n weird for a while, then the cowbell kicks in middle of the song and an amazing riff is played over it.

html sucks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: