Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Students banned from Graduation because of the Confederate Flag
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Students banned from Graduation because of the Confederate Flag  (Read 36056 times)
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« on: June 05, 2008, 12:52:48 AM »

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/19529829.html

Three Bloomington seniors barred from graduation over Confederate flag prank

Justin Thompson, 18, Joey Snyder, 17, and Dan Fredin, 18, were suspended from Bloomington Kennedy High School.

Three Bloomington Kennedy seniors were kept from their graduation after bringing Confederate flags to school.

Three high school seniors were barred from Bloomington Kennedy High School's graduation ceremony Wednesday night at Target Center because of what the school district called a prank involving Confederate flags.

Rick Kaufman, a spokesman for the Bloomington School District, said three male students brought the flags onto school property Tuesday morning. Kaufman said they were suspended after "carrying and waving" the flags in the parking lot as parents and students arrived at the school.

Bloomington Kennedy senior Kellie Rezac is a friend of the three boys. She helped organize a protest Wednesday against the suspension of Dan Fredin, 18, Justin Thompson, 18 and Joey Snyder, 17.

Rezac said the flags were on the boys' cars and that her friends aren't racists. She said they've flown the Confederate flag before and simply admire the "Southern lifestyle" and TV shows such as "The Dukes of Hazzard." A male character from the popular 1980s show would slide across the hood of a now iconic two-door muscle car featuring a Confederate flag decal.

Fredin said teachers and security guards told the boys to get rid of the flags.

One of them complied and another drove the truck home and returned to school without it.

"They didn't even drive 100 feet into the school parking lot and the teachers and [security guards] came out and said 'remove it from sight,'" Fredin said.

He had arrived separately and had gone into the building before the teachers made the request. Fredin said someone removed the flag from his vehicle on Tuesday without notifying him. "I don't even know where it is now."

Principal Ron Simmons spoke with the boys shortly after the incident and suspended each of them for three days based on the district's anti-discrimination rules. Superintendent Les Fujitake affirmed Simmons' decision Tuesday evening, despite objections from the boys' parents and several students.

"The Confederate flag is an issue we take seriously, regardless of their intent," Kaufman, the district spokesman, said.

As recently as 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear appeals from students disciplined for displaying the Confederate flag. Many lower courts that have addressed the issue upheld decisions by school administrators.

But Fredin and Rezac contend Principal Simmons overreacted. Fredin said Simmons didn't witness the boys' compliance with other staff members' orders to remove the flag from school property.

"I'm from a family of five, and I'm the first one not to walk [in graduation]," Fredin said. "It's like getting life in prison for jaywalking."

Rezac said almost 100 Kennedy students participated in the protest in support of the boys on Wednesday morning, including black students who are friends of the boys. Students wore white T-shirts with the three students' names and chanted, "Let them walk."

"The Confederate flag was in Confederate battles, and it had nothing to do with slavery," said Rezac, who said she's studied the Civil War outside of school. "The [Bloomington Kennedy] class of 2008 wants to walk together."

Kennedy seniors were on campus Wednesday morning for graduation practice, and school officials reportedly asked the protesters to remove the T-shirts before they entered the rehearsal. The protesters complied, Kaufman said.

"This doesn't mean they [the three boys] won't get their diploma," he said. "They've earned that. But graduation is a privilege, not a right."

Bloomington's conduct policies ban students from any school-sponsored activities including graduation during a suspension. Kennedy's student body is made up of more than 40 percent minority students, according to the state Department of Education.

Kaufman said it's unfortunate that the boys' decision resulted in their exclusion from the graduation ceremony, but the ban on the Confederate flag isn't new. He said Kennedy High students know the flag is banned because it may violate anti-discrimination policies.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:58:17 AM »

It's fucked up - I went to this school, graduated last year. There has NEVER been anything 'bout the flag in our/their student handbook. Then again, with the ignorance of the principal that I've experianced first hand, this ain't fucking shocking. This principal is the same stupid fuck who once told me fuck was a verb after I said fuck you to him, and got canned from the Atlanta Falcons for not being able to pass a drug test. I wish I would've found out about this last night though...that protest would've had a lot more people.

EDIT: This years Student Handbook; http://www.bloomington.k12.mn.us/indschool/JFK/EntireHandbook0708_002.htm
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:04:34 AM by Almost Famous » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »

No sympathy for them.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:17:37 AM »

I came to Florida in 82 and at that time it was still very Redneck and extremely prejudice. Everybody I knew who had a rebel flag in their pickup used the word nigger, spit tobacco and was illiterate. To me that flag represents stupidity, ignorance the hate.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:19:14 AM »

I concur with Booker.  What point are you making waving a Confederate flag in the school parking lot?  If folks don't think that flag is offensive, they must be living under a rock.  Perhaps they'd like to wave a swastika next time to promote their civil liberties or perhaps a big poster of Osama Bin Laden...very silly.    admired the "southern lifestyle", gimme a break.   Roll Eyes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »

I see your point, SLC. But out here, there isn't shit, no one but themselves say nigger, or "nigga" as they prefer.

Growing with these kids, knowing 'em for many years, Justin's comments about the country lifestyle fit him to a tee. He's been that way since he was like 5, same with his brother. They're the farthest things from rednecks I've seen. But yet, if the school wants to ban the flag, might as well ban shirts with country singers on 'em, and Skynyrd shirts.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

some of you guys are such hypocrites.     to some people in the south that is their heritage.    i don't fly a confederate flag, but i have nothing against those who do.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 03:12:46 AM »

some of you guys are such hypocrites.     to some people in the south that is their heritage.    i don't fly a confederate flag, but i have nothing against those who do.

It's got nothing to do with "southern heritage" genius. People who go around with these flags are prejudice dickwads. They usually get easily swayed and riled up, especially by stories about black preachers and such. 
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 03:14:50 AM »

It's got nothing to do with "southern heritage" genius. People who go around with these flags are prejudice dickwads. They usually get easily swayed and riled up, especially by stories about black preachers and such. 

SOME people who go around with those flags are prejudice dickwads, but not all of them.   I've known a few people who fly that flag and have no problems with blacks.   you can't lump every single person who flys that flag in that category. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 03:26:37 AM »

SOME people who go around with those flags are prejudice dickwads, but not all of them.   I've known a few people who fly that flag and have no problems with blacks.   you can't lump every single person who flys that flag in that category. 

From experience in the South I most certainly can, yes.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:13:57 AM »

Punk, Some of those appreciate the significance of the Constitution.

I fly the "Stars and Bars" ... with pride.

Many of my relations died for the cause, and I find it hard to believe that they died for anything other than freedom.

The vast majority of Southerners were not slave holders, but that is a strawman.

If this is to denegrate into the tyranyt of That fascist Lincoln ... then be it!

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
SLCPUNK
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 04:19:01 AM »

Redneck.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:22:30 AM »

I have a lot of mixed feelings on this, my maternal grandparents come from a long line of abolitionists(which I agree), but my dad hails from Va., and has a long history in the war, and politics.

I have to side with the under dog, and what I feel was constitutional.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 04:23:16 AM »

Redneck.

Well, I am from Fuckedupistan.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 04:24:45 AM »

I have to side with the under dog, and what I feel was constitutional.

Not that I agree with it, but the Constitution is usually discarded once our kids step foot in the public school system.

Redneck.

Well, I am from Fuckedupistan.

Where men are free to love their women Au Natural.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:34 AM »

Nothing like a good strong woman ... to put you in your place.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:55 AM »

It's got nothing to do with "southern heritage" genius. People who go around with these flags are prejudice dickwads...

Talking about prejudice there, huh?

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 05:06:58 AM »

^^My father said that God would send me to hell for thinking like that ... just sayin'

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:43 AM »

To clarify a little:

John C Fremont, signed the orders of execution of my grand ma's grand pa. For that reason, I swore an oath to never vote for one of those SOB's(Republican) as long as I shall live.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 07:45:50 AM »

people in the UK even have the confederate flag lol sometiomes, to me its just a flag for bikers or something. Just a gimmick.

html sucks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: