Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Youtube viewing habits and privacy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Youtube viewing habits and privacy  (Read 2795 times)
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« on: July 03, 2008, 11:08:19 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7488009.stm

Google must divulge the viewing habits of every user who has ever watched any video on YouTube, a US court has ruled.

The ruling comes as part of Google's legal battle with Viacom over allegations of copyright infringement.

Digital rights group the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) called the ruling a "set-back to privacy rights".

The viewing log, which will be handed to Viacom, contains the log-in ID of users, the computer IP address (online identifier) and video clip details.

While the legal battle between the two firms is being contested in the US, it is thought the ruling will apply to YouTube users and their viewing habits everywhere.

Viacom, which owns MTV and Paramount Pictures, has alleged that YouTube is guilty of massive copyright infringement.

Legal action

When it initiated legal action in March 2007 the firm said it had identified about 160,000 unauthorised clips of its programmes on the website, which had been viewed more than 1.5 billion times.

Following the launch of its billion-dollar lawsuit, YouTube introduced filtering tools in an effort to prevent copyright materials from appearing on the site.

The US court declined Viacom's request that Google be forced to hand over the source code of YouTube, saying it was a "trade secret" that should not be disclosed.

But it said privacy concerns expressed by Google about handing over the log were "speculative".

The ruling will see the viewing habits of millions of YouTube users given to Viacom, totalling more than 12 terabytes of data.

Viacom said it wanted the data to "compare the attractiveness of allegedly infringing video with that of non-infringing videos."

'Erroneous ruling'

The EFF said: "The Court's erroneous ruling is a set-back to privacy rights, and will allow Viacom to see what you are watching on YouTube.

"We urge Viacom to back off this overbroad request and Google to take all steps necessary to challenge this order and protect the rights of its users."

The body said the ruling was also potentially unlawful because the log data did contain personally identifiable data.

The court also ruled that Google disclose to YouTube the details of all videos that have been removed from the site for any reason.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:25 AM »

that's nothing, last week in sweden the swedish government voted about some shit and now it's legal for the government here to spy on anyones e-mail, that's crossing the line
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »

anyones? and not just on those of suspected criminals? nervous
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »

that's nothing, last week in sweden the swedish government voted about some shit and now it's legal for the government here to spy on anyones e-mail, that's crossing the line

Welcome to UK spy syndrome we've been living with such things for years.

html sucks
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 05:09:43 PM »

Jesus Christ!  "Let's see, he's viewed GNR leaks and live videos 9,872 times..."  I hope Tsunami doesn't come looking for me.   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »

does this mean btw, that anyone who downloads music is royally fucked for the time being?

html sucks
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »

does this mean btw, that anyone who downloads music is royally fucked for the time being?

Unfortunately I don't think so...if by dl'ing you meant not legally.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »

phew good news then lol. id never be able to find half of the music i like without that option available.

html sucks
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think so...if by dl'ing you meant not legally.

Quality! Get in.  Smiley

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: