Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 11:58:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 473387 times)
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #1740 on: September 17, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »

someone should contact bumblefoot to see if the solo is played by him or buckethead just an idea ok

it's Buckethead. he's in the song credits, Ron isn't.
and for the people who think Finck plays the solo....come on!
he couldn't play it in 10 years if he started practising it now..

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #1741 on: September 17, 2008, 03:55:01 AM »

someone should contact bumblefoot to see if the solo is played by him or buckethead just an idea ok

it's Buckethead. he's in the song credits, Ron isn't.

Credits don't tell you who plays on it and who doesn't. Altough I don't really care about it in this case.

Anyway, about the song itself. After listening to it for a several times, I think it is a good, catchy song with some great riffs. But.. I hope this really isn't the top of Chinese Democracy. I don't think I will listen to the album after a couple of years and get the great kicks out of it, if it is overall at the same level as Shackler's Revenge. But I don't think that'll happen.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1742 on: September 17, 2008, 06:21:21 AM »

I would edit that post lord kayoss...
your talking about unreleased material,

on a side note,

I heard shacklers,
axls vocals are very crisp and signature axl sounding,
and I love the way he has layered his voice

it must of taken him quiet a while to record all the vocal layers in that song,
especially if this was created around 00' -03'
when his voice wasn't the best...

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #1743 on: September 17, 2008, 06:35:55 AM »

Jarmo RE: game for sale in UK,

My mistake, the local Game Station is having a big push for the first game, the same week as RB2 is released, confused me some what, particularly on hearing SR coming from the same shop, seems they may have been looking at the You Tube video of the song.... Nonetheless, this song rocks, I hope CD is done in the same vein

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #1744 on: September 17, 2008, 06:38:34 AM »

I would edit that post lord kayoss...
your talking about unreleased material,

on a side note,

I heard shacklers,
axls vocals are very crisp and signature axl sounding,
and I love the way he has layered his voice

it must of taken him quiet a while to record all the vocal layers in that song,
especially if this was created around 00' -03'
when his voice wasn't the best...

What was wrong with his voice in 00-03?

Yeah, SR is one hell of a tune. It's kind of like a new modern It's So Easy if you ask me.

Classic yet freash and powerfull as fuck!

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1745 on: September 17, 2008, 07:44:26 AM »

well I dont want to get too off topic here,
but with his voice in 00-03 he wouldn't be able to pull off the vocal styles he does in this song,
which he can obviously do now...

anyways, I love the song and to say it is a grower would be an understatement!

but its a great kick ass rocker with some killer guitar slides and some KICK ASS BASS LINES!

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Grizzly
Opening Act

I'm the son of rage and love.

« Reply #1746 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:46 AM »

I still don't get this Rock Band thing.

Let's say you are playing drums to this track. The game must sort of filter out and seperate each and every drum sound, and play them through the game if the player gets it right, and not play them (or whatever) when the player miss. That means that the guys who made the game, must have gotten the master, and then start to filter out everything. And when that is considered, how do we know that the version in the game is the "real" version? How do we know for sure that the guitar and drum sound is the way it is intended to be? Do the other songs in Rock Band sound exactly like they do on the records?

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned in my thinking here, because I've only played guitar hero, and in that game, every song is re-recorded (and not by the original artists) to make the game playable.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1747 on: September 17, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »

I still don't get this Rock Band thing.

Let's say you are playing drums to this track. The game must sort of filter out and seperate each and every drum sound, and play them through the game if the player gets it right, and not play them (or whatever) when the player miss. That means that the guys who made the game, must have gotten the master, and then start to filter out everything. And when that is considered, how do we know that the version in the game is the "real" version? How do we know for sure that the guitar and drum sound is the way it is intended to be? Do the other songs in Rock Band sound exactly like they do on the records?

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned in my thinking here, because I've only played guitar hero, and in that game, every song is re-recorded (and not by the original artists) to make the game playable.

They get the separate tracks: drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc.  The devs work with the tracks to do the discrete instrument mapping for each sound, tied to each "note" played by the player, for each difficulty level.  But the final version of the song used within the game is the complete master track provided, and licensed from, the band. 

The OLD guitar hero games used cover versions.  The newer guitar hero games, and the rock band games, use mostly, if not all, master tracks from the artists.  They sound very close, if not exactly, like the album versions.  The only differences is that the instrument being played (if not in full band mode) on some tracks is brought "forward".  So, if you're playing guitar, the guitar parts might be slightly louder during that play through.   From what I've heard of the dev process, all that gets approved by the artist, if they do it to a song.  That seems to be happening less and less as more and more masters get used, though. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Hoosier
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1748 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

after giving it a few listens (or 30) its pretty clear why they chose this song for Rock Band. 1.) badass/unique guitar solo (i still lean towards it being Robin because i thinks its done on a fretless, but Bucket is capable is creating any sound he wants) 2.) you have to have a very good vocal range and some decent lungs to sing it correctly. a great choice for this game IMO

edit - actually im now thinking the solo is done with a digitech whammy pedal, which Bucket has in his arsenal o' pedals
dude, that's a fretless guitar, not a whammy pedal. Bucket may create any sound he wants, but he still couldn't make those slides sound so cool on a fretted guitar.

thats right....unless he was using a digitech whammy pedal. its a pitch shifter, which is why it sounds like a fretless guitar. he may also be using a glass slide. im an experianced player myself and this is just what it sounds like to me. it very well could be Ron and at first i thought it was, but being that Bucket is credited on the song, i think Bucket using the whammy is more plausible.

ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!?!
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1749 on: September 17, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »

At the very very very beginning of the song, is that Axl singing?  If it is (and I'm guessing it is), is that something he's doing himself to make his voice sound like that?  or did they somehow manipulate it to sound like that?
Yeah that's Axl.  Lots of layered vocals in the song.
IM pretty sue he dos his own vocal styling, and not really much is used to manipulate it.
I am more curious how they will play this live!  Dizzy and Ron are both decent singers...perhaps they will fill in?
Vocally (on stage) I imagine Ron low, Dizzy (or Robin) middle, Axl high... maybe?

On the point of doing this song live:  Just curious...... Why isn?t anyone guessing Tommy would be the main one to sing these other parts live? Huh
From what I saw on the boots of the 06-07 tour, it seemed that Tommy did most of the harmony/background (or whatever it?s called) singing.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
ToonGuns
Headliner

Invest in those memories!

« Reply #1750 on: September 17, 2008, 11:45:05 AM »

Just thinking here... there has been a lot of talk of the guitar solo (who plays it, how are they playing it etc) and in a lot of the reviews I have read of this song on the internet there has been a lot of criticism of the guitar solo (too wanky, not classic GnR, too shreddy etc).

do you think there is a chance that the solo will be changed on the actual record, and this "silly" one is only on the song at the moment to make the Rock Band game harder?

Maybe on the actual CD record there may be a more "normal" solo, if you know what I mean.

And just for the record - I own something like 40 Buckethead CD's and I am 99.9% sure that it is Bumblefoot on the solo!

A bad day in Rock N Roll is better than a good day at work!

Leeds Festival, UK - 23/08/2002
Download Festival, UK - 11/06/2006
Newcastle Arena, UK - 19/07/2006
Nottingham Arena, UK - 19/05/2012
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1751 on: September 17, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »

Just thinking here... there has been a lot of talk of the guitar solo (who plays it, how are they playing it etc) and in a lot of the reviews I have read of this song on the internet there has been a lot of criticism of the guitar solo (too wanky, not classic GnR, too shreddy etc).

do you think there is a chance that the solo will be changed on the actual record, and this "silly" one is only on the song at the moment to make the Rock Band game harder?

Maybe on the actual CD record there may be a more "normal" solo, if you know what I mean.

And just for the record - I own something like 40 Buckethead CD's and I am 99.9% sure that it is Bumblefoot on the solo!

I agree with you.  I am equally sure that is Bumblefoot on the solo.  I am also inclined to think, like others here, that he is playing a fretless.

I don't think the solo will be changed.  I believe that all Rock Band tracks are intended to be actual tracks, not alternate versions.  Though, in all fairness, this is the only song from a yet to be released record.  But, I think it will stay in the end.

Ali
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1752 on: September 17, 2008, 12:29:54 PM »

Lets not forget axl's speech before better....
I don't know what solo people are fussing about but BH and BF seem seamless to me.

The song as a whole doesn't remind me of any particular song, of zombie, NIN or whatever but prolly BH's dbz shackler.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1753 on: September 17, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »

Expect a big surprise in the coming weeks

I asked Teasdale what his dream track would be for Rock Band, and a big smile crossed his face. "I can't tell you... because it's coming up soon as downloadable content. Ask me this question in a month, and I'll be able to tell you." I pressed him for details, or a more specific timeline. "Something big is coming, very soon." 

Hmm sounds interesting !  Smiley

the DLC they are talking about in the passage aren't musical files?but game files that aren't included in this RB2 release. promising for gamers but like olorin suggested, I don't think it's about shacklers as the song is already in the game.   sorrish if confusing. peace
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:42:18 PM by ppbebe » Logged
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #1754 on: September 17, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »

after giving it a few listens (or 30) its pretty clear why they chose this song for Rock Band. 1.) badass/unique guitar solo (i still lean towards it being Robin because i thinks its done on a fretless, but Bucket is capable is creating any sound he wants) 2.) you have to have a very good vocal range and some decent lungs to sing it correctly. a great choice for this game IMO

edit - actually im now thinking the solo is done with a digitech whammy pedal, which Bucket has in his arsenal o' pedals
dude, that's a fretless guitar, not a whammy pedal. Bucket may create any sound he wants, but he still couldn't make those slides sound so cool on a fretted guitar.

thats right....unless he was using a digitech whammy pedal. its a pitch shifter, which is why it sounds like a fretless guitar. he may also be using a glass slide. im an experianced player myself and this is just what it sounds like to me. it very well could be Ron and at first i thought it was, but being that Bucket is credited on the song, i think Bucket using the whammy is more plausible.
why should Buckethead emulate a fretless guitar sound and Ron's playing on a fretted guitar? He wouldn't do that, really. Bucket is credited as a writer, not a performer. Anyway, I don't think those slides and "bends" would sound the same on a fretted guitar.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1755 on: September 17, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

FINALLY unlocked this song overnight. Had a blast playing it... mostly cuz I wasn't playing the guitar on it!

Now bring out a single release of this somehow GNR!! PLEASE!!  drool

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #1756 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »

FINALLY unlocked this song overnight. Had a blast playing it... mostly cuz I wasn't playing the guitar on it!

Unlocking means being able to listen to the original ? And does the console version sound different from the forbidden leak that circulates around the net ?
Grizzly
Opening Act

I'm the son of rage and love.

« Reply #1757 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »

pilferk: Thanks for the information about the technical stuff behind Rock Band. Much appreciated!  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1758 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »

No one has been harder on the guitar playing than I have on here and I don't see how anyone could have anything negative to say about this song.

I think the guitar playing, the guitar solos, all are extremely well done and kick ass.

If U think GNR are changing something cause a few nerds on the internet gave a bad review, think again.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
DoctorNo
Headliner

... but at least there's a reaction.

« Reply #1759 on: September 17, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »

Expect a big surprise in the coming weeks

I asked Teasdale what his dream track would be for Rock Band, and a big smile crossed his face. "I can't tell you... because it's coming up soon as downloadable content. Ask me this question in a month, and I'll be able to tell you." I pressed him for details, or a more specific timeline. "Something big is coming, very soon." 

Hmm sounds interesting !  Smiley

the DLC they are talking about in the passage aren't musical files?but game files that aren't included in this RB2 release. promising for gamers but like olorin suggested, I don't think it's about shacklers as the song is already in the game.   sorrish if confusing. peace

I don't think Appetite was talking about Shackler's. I think his interest was piqued by the possibility of getting more tracks off Chinese Democracy - hopefully, concurrently with the full retail release of the album. That would certainly count as "something big," and it would be a nice market counterpoint to Guitar Hero's exclusive Metallica album. GNR has already made a big splash with Shackler's; releasing the whole album to Rock Band, along with a regular retail/iTunes release, would be huge.

I tend to think this "big" DLC "surprise" is something classic - Back in Black, maybe, dovetailing with that OTHER big RB2 exclusive AC/DC - but who knows.

Edited to add - didn't mean to put words in Appetite's mouth, if I confused my own speculation with his.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:43:28 PM by DoctorNo » Logged

I guess I'll keep it to myself.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: