Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 04:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  interview with slash during period leaving gnr
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: interview with slash during period leaving gnr  (Read 17339 times)
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 01:47:14 AM »

I don't think the interview is from 1995 like it says.

He talks about the Snakepit tour and going to Budapest. He went to Budapest in August 1996.

So it's a few months before it was announced that he had quit the band.

/jarmo

he said "he threw together a band and they'll play blues covers" guess he's talking about the Blues Ball and not snakepit?

Correct, blues ball, but he did play budapest i think the year before too, but with Snakepit.
From what I know, Blues Ball did play Budafest.  Sziget Festival on Obuda Island, Budafest Hungary in 1995.  Snakepit did not play Budafest.  As far as I know, Snakepit, 1995, played the US, Canada, Japan, the UK, and South America, in a 5 month tour. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:50:01 AM by lynn1961 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:18 AM »

Nah man, I don't think he's overrated.

Seen the Tokyo 92 footage?

IMO he's quite unique.

he's run of the mill.   sure he does what he does well, but he does the same thing over and over again.   all he knows is what he does and IMO there are several guitarists out there that are much better.   he is known for who he is because of his persona with the top hat.  as a player, he's soooooo overrated.   his solo on the tokyo video you speak of is almost as boring as matt scrotum's drum solo.    lets just play the same scales over and over again!

U are so full of crap it isnt even funny

name those so called better guitar players then

U are just mad cause your HERO cant hold Slash's pick.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 02:09:34 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

he's run of the mill.   sure he does what he does well, but he does the same thing over and over again.   all he knows is what he does and IMO there are several guitarists out there that are much better.   he is known for who he is because of his persona with the top hat.  as a player, he's soooooo overrated.   his solo on the tokyo video you speak of is almost as boring as matt scrotum's drum solo.    lets just play the same scales over and over again!

I seriously doubt if YOU of all people could tell if Slash played the same scale twice. Coming from the guy who thinks Robin's caterwauling live solos 'rock', your opinion doesn't count for much.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 02:13:52 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

he's run of the mill.   sure he does what he does well, but he does the same thing over and over again.   all he knows is what he does and IMO there are several guitarists out there that are much better.   he is known for who he is because of his persona with the top hat.  as a player, he's soooooo overrated.   his solo on the tokyo video you speak of is almost as boring as matt scrotum's drum solo.    lets just play the same scales over and over again!

I seriously doubt if YOU of all people could tell if Slash played the same scale twice. Coming from the guy who thinks Robin's caterwauling live solos 'rock', your opinion doesn't count for much.

Right On Genesis

Dude posted a link of an AWESOME solo and it sounded like a fuckin  lobster being boiled to its death.

I just always find it hilarious that even Axl has said that Slash is irreplaceable but yet people like Rim Job come on saying he isnt anything special.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 02:28:02 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

he's run of the mill.   sure he does what he does well, but he does the same thing over and over again.   all he knows is what he does and IMO there are several guitarists out there that are much better.   he is known for who he is because of his persona with the top hat.  as a player, he's soooooo overrated.   his solo on the tokyo video you speak of is almost as boring as matt scrotum's drum solo.    lets just play the same scales over and over again!

exactly what i'm talking about.   a group of you have this attitude that he is some sort of god, when he's not.   preferences are subjective.   in my humble opinion, he's not all you and D make him out to be.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 02:31:48 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

Right On Genesis

Dude posted a link of an AWESOME solo and it sounded like a fuckin  lobster being boiled to its death.

I just always find it hilarious that even Axl has said that Slash is irreplaceable but yet people like Rim Job come on saying he isnt anything special.

I would be interested to know who Rim Job thinks is "much better".   Personally, I wouldn't place Slash at THE top, but I think he's in the top 5. I don't believe, for one second, that he's over rated or boring or that he does the same thing over and over again....come on...  

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 02:34:40 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

Right On Genesis

I would be interested to know who Rim Job thinks is "much better".   Personally, I wouldn't place Slash at THE top, but I think he's in the top 5. I don't believe, for one second, that he's over rated or boring or that he does the same thing over and over again....come on...   

pretty much all the guitar players who have come after him in guns n roses i prefer.    now i know you clowns are going to come back with 'blah blah blah slash wrote this slash wears the top hat blah blah blah'  but i simply prefer buckethead, bumblefoot, and finck and am very glad they have made their presence felt in GnR on the new stuff.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 02:45:06 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

Right On Genesis

I would be interested to know who Rim Job thinks is "much better".   Personally, I wouldn't place Slash at THE top, but I think he's in the top 5. I don't believe, for one second, that he's over rated or boring or that he does the same thing over and over again....come on...  

pretty much all the guitar players who have come after him in guns n roses i prefer.    now i know you clowns are going to come back with 'blah blah blah slash wrote this slash wears the top hat blah blah blah'  but i simply prefer buckethead, bumblefoot, and finck and am very glad they have made their presence felt in GnR on the new stuff.

Bumblefoot and Buckethead are better guitarists than Slash (I won't even talk about that other douche). However it's not just about technical ability. It's what you do with it. I enjoy BF's and BH's solo work, but the just the first 8 notes of SCOM blow away most of their stuff. Twenty years on and it's still arguably the most recoginizable guitar riff ever written. Beat that.

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 03:02:39 AM »

slash is a washed up hack.  accept it and get over it.  Kiss
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:29 AM »

slash is a washed up hack.  accept it and get over it.  Kiss

Whatever gets you off in your world, baby. Kiss

Fuck 'Em All.
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 03:33:48 AM »

I enjoy BF's and BH's solo work, but the just the first 8 notes of SCOM blow away most of their stuff. Twenty years on and it's still arguably the most recoginizable guitar riff ever written. Beat that.

How does he do that?!!!

I've got the sheet music in front of me. I can play a Bach fugue very well......and yet every time I try to play those notes on the piano, it don't sound right. I can sing it in my head but playing it!

Something to do with the timing, his ear - it's uniquely his.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:15:45 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 03:47:06 AM »

you guys are talking about SCOM, but I've always thought Robin plays that one quite well, often times better than versions from the old days.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 05:14:08 AM »

Rim Job get over it

Finck is a very medicore guitar player... seriously.

Bucket and Bumble are technically better but cant come close to matching Slash's creativity.

Fuck, Myles Kennedy is "Technically" a better singer than Axl.......... see how laughable that is?

Once again Rim Job u are missing the whole point.

WRITING SCOM and some dude "PLAYING" SCOM are such fuckin different animals, dude I cant even begin to tell u.

People who dont play THINK for some stupid ass reason that any fuckin body can pick up a guitar and write great stuff.

It doesnt work that way.

There are millions of guitar players and SLASH IS and WILL always be amongst the greats.  Finck will never be featured on Guitar Hero I can promise u that or have 2 or 3 of his riffs/solos constantly mentioned in the top 10 greatest of lists.

Go put on a Fucking GNR record and LISTEN to the guitar

if u cant tell the different in the guitar playing in WTTJ for instance and any of the new GNR stuff, u seriously have ZERO ear.

Honest to GOd u sound like some fookin GNR noob who only discovered them in 2002 or something. its people like u that make it impossible for me to enjoy the new band.

u poll 1 million people and I say even members of Finck's family vote for Slash.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »

IMO he's quite unique.

opinions are like assholes, everone has one Wink

yeah, I'm sure he's known just for his top hat hihi thats about the dumbest thing i've heard in quite a whilw, which is also quite an accomplishment, especially on this board.......

before you go and say he is run of the mill, overated, and is known for his top hat, et all-----lets wait and see how Chinese Democracy is regarded 20 years after it's release; if there are any songs listed in rock magazines in best solo's of all time, or best riffs of all time, etc.-----

because for someone that you claim to be run of the mill and overrated, his name sure appears in alot of those best riffs and best solo lists for MULTIPLE SONGS......more so than Robins, Bumble's or any of the new members of GnR....

Yngvie malmsteem was a much better shredder but he wrote shit ok  theres more to a song than technical merit, just ask olympic ice skaters Tongue
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »

theres more to a song than technical merit, just ask olympic ice skaters Tongue

Eurovision reference?  Grin

widevu
Headliner

I used to do a little

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »

back to the interview

i thought that slash did bluesball after he leaves gnr
but he did it (comparing to this interview) while he was still in the band
so when did he leave actually?

gr
widevu

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
Rapunzel
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »

I think things unravelled late 93 to mid 94. (The Australian gig in Melbourne was abit of a diaster - security wise..) Of course you must realize that for Axl it would have been one of the most painful announcements to make. That's why there's a bit of a time factor here, where Slash was given room to go off and do other projects..

I think the announcement wasn't made to the fans, until it was absolutely certain that thay had to go separate ways. (for a time)!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:03:17 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »

I don't think the interview is from 1995 like it says.

He talks about the Snakepit tour and going to Budapest. He went to Budapest in August 1996.

So it's a few months before it was announced that he had quit the band.

/jarmo

he said "he threw together a band and they'll play blues covers" guess he's talking about the Blues Ball and not snakepit?

Correct, blues ball, but he did play budapest i think the year before too, but with Snakepit.
From what I know, Blues Ball did play Budafest.  Sziget Festival on Obuda Island, Budafest Hungary in 1995.  Snakepit did not play Budafest.  As far as I know, Snakepit, 1995, played the US, Canada, Japan, the UK, and South America, in a 5 month tour. 

August 14th, 1996 - Slash played in Budapest, Hungary at the Pepsi Island festival. Teddy Andreadis played keyboards and sang.

Why would he play with Blues Ball in Budapest in 1995 if Snakepit was still together? They played the Monsters Of Rock in England in August 1995.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
widevu
Headliner

I used to do a little

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »

so the interview takes place at aug-sept 96 right before he leaves gnr
he leaves (i think) octobre novembre 96
so after budapest he came back to work on gnr, had this conversations-political-dinner .... with axl about the future of the band
it didn't work out (because axl = axl and he wanted to do it his way, and slash = slash and he didn't want to play with at that time out of spirit band with paul huge ...) and he leaves
after that he go out for a little tour with the bluesballband he played with in august in budapest

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDzHjOy0cI&feature=related

Here is a video from around that era... I think jarmo is right.  I got confused.  Monsters of Rock in 95, budapest with Blues Ball 96...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: