Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash-Fergie Perform SCOM At The OC Fair
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash-Fergie Perform SCOM At The OC Fair  (Read 34785 times)
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »

I think the simple truth is that he just doesn't care.  If it will make him more or get him exposure without requiring too much time or effort he will do it.  That's just the way it is, and it's his decision.  Just don't complain when people don't buy the "I just wanna rock fuck everything else" image that he still tries to sell.

I'm sure he did get paid for this.  They probably offered him $50,000 or something to show up and play a few songs in the set.  But there's a world of difference between a struggling artist doing session work for N'Sync when they are not known and trying to pay their bills, and a famous millionaire rock star who has sold 80 or 90 million records jumping on stage someone who makes shit music and can't sing or rap.  Slash can afford to pick his spots and maintain some integrity but like I said it's pretty clear at least from an outsider's POV that he doesn't really care

I don't think it's that he "doesn't care".  I think he just likes to play, whenever or whereever.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  He's said, before, that he likes to/needs to keep busy. 

Everyone keeps talking about Fergie making shit music and singing horrible.  That seems to be just a matter of opinion, here.  Obviously, someone likes her and her band, as they've done and continue to do well. 

Credibility, more than mystique in my opinion. He hasn't been very mystical since the days when he stopped hiding his face behind walls of hair.

Even though he's wrote enough historically memorable riffs to always remain "credible" within his peer group, I see your point. 

Although his guitar slinger/icon status has never been more solidified, I think it's time to hide behind the hat and hair again - limit accessibility and lower the profile.

Why? 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2008, 01:01:50 AM »

Although his guitar slinger/icon status has never been more solidified, I think it's time to hide behind the hat and hair again - limit accessibility and lower the profile.

Why? 

Simply put - oversaturation.

Just my opinion.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »

well, the last time i posted here i had just woken up from a bad dream so i had an anger attack of some sort, that i didn?t even realize t'ill next morning! so sorry for that.

but, since my last comment was erased ( and the mod team was right on that one) i just wanted to say:

Slash is a sold out and he's ruining Gn'r's Name

and that performance was shit. ( except for slash, but then again we always knew he could play guitar)

Chinese Democracy!
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

I don't like Fergie AT ALL, but man, she sang this quite well, I don't understand the negativity about her vocals.
If anything, I wonder why she doesn't put out music that showcases this side of her voice, because it's a hell of a lot better than that "Fergalicious" crap.

And Slash absolutely nailed it like he's still been playing it with GN'R all these years, even though he hasn't. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »

Playing with with Fergie is NOT rock n roll, no matter how much you try and justify it.

neither is playing Cirque du Soliel or NSync but i dont wanna get into it

the point wasnt that he played with fergie...the point was is that he does what he wants, when he wants to, and everyone else be damned

I still say ya cant fault a guy for going out and doing what he loves...i think most of you guys are pissed that he played SCOM than that he played with fergie...hell half of you guys hate Slash anyway so why even concern yourself with him pretty simple concept  Kiss

Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »

If you have not noticed people like Slash and Axl really don't give a shit what people think and they will do what makes them happy. Slash will play with whomever he feels like and Axl will release CD when he feels like it. There will always be critics on both sides of these arguments saying Slash is selling out or has no integrity because he seems to play with anyone. Just like others say Axl should have released CD 8 years ago and not worry so much what critics will say and just put the music out there, tour the album, and then go back to the studio to make more music. The truth is people who have attained the level of success of Slash and Axl probably view things in a different perspective than others who are not in there shoes.

For Example: Slash appears to be laid back about the people who he decides to perform with. I can imagine he is not sitting in a room contemplating? hey should I play with Justin Timberlake at the ESPY's this week or with Sebastian Bach. Well if I play with Justin people will probably say I am a sellout because he was in NSYNC, and he is too POP for my fans, but then again I will reach a new audience. If I play with Sebastian people will say... Slash is stuck in the 80's. Alright I will play with Tom Morrello... oh Shit he is a communist... scratch him out. Alright Michael Jackson called... fuck that, he is weirdo and possibly a pedophile. Alright well McQueen called... yeah but who the hell has heard of McQueen, and then again I am SLASH. Slash does not care about any of that shit, and that is why he plays with all of them for the thrill of playing and who can blame him for that.

Slash has always said he loves to play and that he HATES downtime because he always gets in trouble... primarily drug use. I rather have Slash play with fuckin Barney and Big Bird than have him relapse again because I think he is up to his 7th life and has about two left with all the abuse he has given his body.

Now obviously I rather see Slash play with someone like a Tom Morello, Metallica, Dave Mustaine, Zakk Wylde, Ozzy, than see him play with someone like Soulja Boy, Ashanti, Beyonce, Christina Aguilera, etc. However, a couple things here... we have already seen him play with Metallica, Tom Morrelo, Zakk Wylde, so it is kind of like been there done that.

Also look at what happened with projects like Kid Rock and Sheryl Crowe. Who would have thought that they would have had such a hit song together? Again on paper when you see Kid Rock and Sheryl Crowe doing a countryish song, I am sure your initial thoughts are not... we have a number #1 hit for sure on our hands. I am sure Kid Rock fans were probably saying the same shit. What a sellout, oh great now he is turning into a pussy to sing with Sheryl Crowe? Fuckin? ?All I want to do is have some fun?!

He probably wiped his ass with those critics, and fans, and laughed his way all the way to the bank and to the top of the charts. So as a result of that supposedly CHEESY project, he climbed to the top the charts, made a shit load of money, and expanded his audience.

If you have not noticed there is not too much Rock/Rap these on the radio like the days when Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Kid Rock ruled the airwaves.

So playing with Sheryl Crowe was pretty smart for a number of other reasons.  Record company's will probably be more inclined to negotiate a better deal with KR now than if he would have kept sampling other people's music and trying to rap over them, because they know that he a more diverse artist and has expanded his musical audience and can probably continue doing so while selling records and arenas.

I can honestly say that up to now I do not have a problem with the people Slash has played with, even Fergie. She is definitely hot right now like it or not. I am sure if they want to work on a song together they it will probably get more airplay than possbily anything VR or new GNR releases in the future no matter how good it is. That is the twisted backwords world of music we live in today.

With regards to her butchering the song... It was fine. Not the best or worst. I have seen plenty of other people with whom Slash has played with like in Camp Freddy who have butchered plenty of other songs. In my opinion SCOM only sounds best when Axl sings it up until now (But that is my opinion).

If you thought Fergie butchered SCOM what did you think of Sheryl Crowe's rendition? As if that shit rocked or kicked ass. That was totally POP Cheese and a pretty lame version of the song. Maybe Slash should have played with Sheryl before releasing that version of SCOM? and by the way who authorized the rights for the release of that version of SCOM...HMM? I don't think that was Slash. Talk about losing credibility and mystique. So who is the sellout? 

Peace!
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »

Grin I'm just delighted to hear Slash play SCOM again, he looks cool and he plays it the perfectly. The guy is a guitar player and this is what he does. I wouldn't worry about who he plays with, people are just too critical sometimes. This is music. Slash isn't a sell out, he's a guitarist playing guitar and he does it brilliantly!!! I'd love if he was back with GNR cos he fucking rocks

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »

Fergie. Bad choice of someone to play with.

In his time he has appeared with many great people....then he appears with fergie n her dodgy teeth.

If he wanted to appear with a female singer he should of done Joss Stone, shes actually got something good about her music and has a great voice.

html sucks
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »

Credibility, more than mystique in my opinion. He hasn't been very mystical since the days when he stopped hiding his face behind walls of hair.

Even though he's wrote enough historically memorable riffs to always remain "credible" within his peer group, I see your point. 

from reading his book, i would speculate he's playing with anyone and everyone to keep busy so he doesn't relapse and get back on the oxycontine

nowadays with the internet and youtube, his every move is under the microscope; when he did this shit back in the 90's; youtube and these other sites weren't prevalent, so there was a thousand online reviews of his performances beer

I don't know how many times he's said it; but when he gets off the rode, and has alot if time on his hands; thats when he gets bored and gets heavily into drugs

Again, pure speculation from an uninformed fan Lips Sealed

but it sure sounded good to hear him play that solo again
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »

Sound's like God is playing guitar!
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2008, 04:08:32 AM »

Whats up with deleting posts out of this thread including mine? There was a good discussion going on the last time i was here.  Huh

"to live with fortune and fame"
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »

Whats up with deleting posts out of this thread including mine? There was a good discussion going on the last time i was here.  Huh

since a few were saying that Slash plays SCOM better than any current member of GnR; I guess many of the moderators felt rather than have a forumn to discuss it, they would just delete the posts;  maybe you can only post certain opinions here
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »

since a few were saying that Slash plays SCOM better than any current member of GnR; I guess many of the moderators felt rather than have a forumn to discuss it, they would just delete the posts;  maybe you can only post certain opinions here

The last post I saw here was someone saying Slash plays SCOM better then current CnR members. I didnt think there was a need to delete so many other posts tho, but hey thems the breaks. 

"to live with fortune and fame"
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »

I think it was probably more because D was turning yet another thread into an Axl vs Slash thing.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »

A much better version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIGNKwMVSBA&feature=related
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »

^^ Thanks for that!

I think it was probably more because D was turning yet another thread into an Axl vs Slash thing.

You're going to blame it all on D?  Somewhere, Jim Bob has to take some responsibility, as he likes to set up the bait in the first place!   Just sayin'. Wink
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:45:54 PM by lynn1961 » Logged
greendog
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2008, 08:51:40 PM »

you want to take me up on my bet?

kelly clarkson, miley cyrus, nickelback.  1 of 3 within 1 year.  $100.   

ok.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2008, 01:09:46 AM »

ok.

Are you kidding? 

He's already played with Chad Kroeger. 

I'd take him up on it, with Miley Cyrus.  Seriously.  If Slash plays with Miley Cyrus, within the year, I'll pay you a $100, Jim Bob.  If not, you owe me.   
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2008, 01:17:35 AM »

Who gives a flying fuck who Slash plays with? The guy was set for life after AFD so now he just plays for the hell of it. Playing Guitar is his life and a fine life he has had because of it.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2008, 01:24:07 AM »

ok.

Are you kidding? 

He's already played with Chad Kroeger. 

I'd take him up on it, with Miley Cyrus.  Seriously.  If Slash plays with Miley Cyrus, within the year, I'll pay you a $100, Jim Bob.  If not, you owe me.   

Can I get in on that bet too Jim Bob? $100 to you if Slash plays with Billy Rays kid. Of course $100 to me if he doesn't .Let's bet.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: