Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Four Mistakes that killed the record industry before file sharing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Four Mistakes that killed the record industry before file sharing  (Read 2222 times)
Chief
Legend

« on: July 26, 2008, 08:45:12 PM »

an interesting article here -

http://blogs.chron.com/brokenrecord/2008/07/four_mistakes_that_killed_the.html

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:28 PM »

Good article. The essence is, we live in a corporate-driven world, where nobody is willing to take any chances, leading the way for mediocrity, and a steady profit...

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

I agree with that article.  The music industry definitely isn't what it used to be. It's like acts today have to have a hit album or song at the beginning of their career or they're not given a chance. A lot of artists in the past were given the opportunity to build and evolve toward something great. But now it's all about making quick money off musicians and short-changing the public as a result.

Music has very little diversity on the radio as well. You turn it on and it's the same songs played over and over. And it's usually music devoid of any kind of depth, in my opinion.

Music videos seem to be losing their appeal as well.  MTV and VH1 jumped on the reality tv bandwagon and have totally neglected the area of their origins for the sake of profit.

Then again there's YouTube. But Viacom is threatening to sue youtube for copyright infringement. So there may not be anymore music videos on there in the future.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »

Great article! 

Considering all the music industry has gone through in the past 20 years, I can't even imagine what the situation will be in 2028... Can it really get any worse?  Are there more genres or sub-genres of music that we haven't heard of yet? Will people be listening to commercial "jingles" on the radio like in Demolition Man?
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:59:09 PM »

I can't even imagine what the situation will be in 2028...
Home PC's and means for recording will be more common and better. Music will live forever. peace

Music consumption hasn't been higher than it is now actually, in the age of declining sales.
I'm sure record companies will be a thing of the past.

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »

Great article! 

Considering all the music industry has gone through in the past 20 years, I can't even imagine what the situation will be in 2028... Can it really get any worse?  Are there more genres or sub-genres of music that we haven't heard of yet? Will people be listening to commercial "jingles" on the radio like in Demolition Man?

If we'll be listening to jingles like in Demolition Man i hope there is also crysostays by then cause i'll wanna be frozen. I'd go insane in a world like that.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:47:11 AM »

Honestly I think what killed it was the copy cats.

They started worrying more about making money than Great music and it fucked them in the ass.

It worked and made them money for a while. Copy catting the Boy bands, pop princesses etc. That stuff works for pop bubble gum but when it comes to rock music, that shit doesnt work.

so u get a bunch of lame bland horrible bands, and they COPY cat the style that sucks in the first place.

so, what u get is shitty, horrible, lame music that no one wants to buy.  The business became single driven because these bands only have 1 or 2 listenable songs so it started the download craze.

Look at the charts.  Music still sells. Nickelback, had 5 or 6 singles and their album still has sold over 6 million, Justin Timberlake still sells well, Lil Wayne debuted with a million in the first week.

Other bands that have had great albums also sold very well.

DL has messed it up a lot. U will never see a 10 million seller again, but I still think releasing shitty music at too high of prices, really pushed people over the edge.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »

i  never see the issue with nickelbacks music, seriously, i think there most recent album was great. I just wish they had good guitar solos.

html sucks
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »

Maybe it's a lack of talent. If you're talented enough, you'll find a way for your music to be heard, record companies be damned. Buckethead is a good example.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »

Maybe it's a lack of talent. If you're talented enough, you'll find a way for your music to be heard, record companies be damned. Buckethead is a good example.

yeah but Buckethead aint goin platinum

Some artists take time to break and record labels no longer have patience.

Think of how many bands that wouldnt have made it, if they came out today

Bon Jovi's first 2 albums were bombs, today they wouldnt have gotten a chance to make SWW.

Labels now dont want real music, they want cheap easy commercialized carbon copies that are guaranteed to turn a nice profit with little effort

which is why everyone looks the same, sounds the same..................

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: