Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:24:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis Thread - Official
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis Thread - Official  (Read 95146 times)
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2009, 06:11:48 AM »

Wow.

Not too often you get the top 4 seeds in Masters Semi's. Federer vs Murray & Djokovic vs Nadal. I have to say i fancy a Federer vs Djokovic Final. Murray has played more Tennis than the others recently and looked tired in his match yesterday and Nadal is still on his way back although i think Nadal vs Djoker will be closer than than the other match.

Federer coasted past Hewitt yesterday without much hassle and look refreshed mentally and physically after his aberation against Tsonga and i think he'll have too much for Murray who looked tired but found a way to get past a lucky loser.

Whatever happens we have a great month of Tennis coming up. The US Open will be brilliant if the top players all get to the latter stages. Imagine the Semis if it involves 4 of the top 6. We could have fireworks. I think any one of Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djoker, DelPo and Roddick could win it.

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »

Week one of the US open has passed.

No major upsets, just Roddick losing to Isner. Big guys are on round 4.

I've seen quite a few matches last week. Each of the wonder 4 has lost at least one set (at least)... Probably Federer is looking the strongest. Murray lost a set to Capdeville although destroyed Dent last night. Nadal has not really faced tough competition yet..so it's difficult to evaluate his performance so far. From what I've seen, he's still playing too short. He better increase his level some if he wants to beat Monfils. Del Potro is looking good, pretty good win against Monaco but dropped a set yesterday...and the Djoker did face more diffiiculties against a complete unknown player.

Tsong? and Gonzalez will be an amazing match. I believe the frenchman will advance. Delpo against Ferrero looks like it could go to 5 sets. Juan Carlos had a great run prior to the US open. He's pretty confident. Mind says Delpo will win but heart says Juanqui. I'm going with Ferrero in 5.

Federer will beat Robredo in 3.

Murray will beat Cilic in 4

Nadal will beat Monfils in 5

Djokovic to beat Stephanek in 4

Verdasco to beat Isner in 4

Soderling to beat Davidenko in 4

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:12:12 AM by Ignatius » Logged
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #242 on: September 09, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »

Well, Rafa defeated Monfils in 4 and now we got the 8 for quarterfinalists:

NADAL VS. GONZALEZ
DEL POTRO VS CILIC

---------------------

FEDERER VS SODERLING
VERDASCO VS DJOKOVIC

My predictions:

- Nadal will defeat Gonzalez just because Gonzalez never wins these kind of matches and because Nadal is mentally stronger.
- Del Potro will defeat Cilic (at least if he keeps serving that way. overall, he's a much more complete player than Cilic and he's playing extremely focused)
- Federer will defeat Soderling in 3 sets. Easy.
- Verdasco will defeat Djokovic in 5  peace

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #243 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:01 AM »

Well, Rafa defeated Monfils in 4 and now we got the 8 for quarterfinalists:

NADAL VS. GONZALEZ
DEL POTRO VS CILIC

---------------------

FEDERER VS SODERLING
VERDASCO VS DJOKOVIC

My predictions:

- Nadal will defeat Gonzalez just because Gonzalez never wins these kind of matches and because Nadal is mentally stronger.

Spot on. Nadal will win cause Gonzalez hardly ever passes the quaters in Grand Slams and because Nadal is mentally stronger.

- Del Potro will defeat Cilic (at least if he keeps serving that way. overall, he's a much more complete player than Cilic and he's playing extremely focused)

I watched Del Potro against Ferrero yesterday. Solid match from Juan. I wouldn't count off Cilic though, he totally destroyed Murray yesterday.

You think? I think Robin will walk away with a set.

- Verdasco will defeat Djokovic in 5  peace

It'd be a long match for sure. 5 sets, but I say Djokovic.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »

peace

well, it took Roger 4 sets to defeat the swedish but it was a solid and clear victory anyway.

I want Delpo to play against Nadal. Delpo can defeat Rafa.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »

Vamos Rafa!

Great semis tomorrow. First match will be Rafa agains Delpo, followed up Fedex Vs Djoker.

Rafa Vs Delpo.

Very difficult match to predict. Juan Martin will always be a difficult match-up for Rafa. Big serve, big grounstrokes. Offensive player with good defensive strokes. Also he has a two-handed backhand which means Nadal's cross court high bouncing forehands won't hurt him as much as when he plays against one-hand backhanders (Federer, Gonzalez...)

Key to the match will be Rafa's serve. If he's able to serve decent, he'll have his chances. I don't know how much his abdominal strain is bothering but it's true to some extent Rafa is serving an avergage of 10 mph less in this tournament. Rafa's serve has never been a keystone of his game, but if he's able to vary his serve tomorrow and reaches at least 80% of first serves is, he'll be the favorite to win this.

On the other hand, Delpo's been playing well. He has the groundtrokes to beat Nadal like he did already in Montreal 3 weeks ago. This time around things are different; Rafa's found his rythm and also this the semis of a grand slam. Experience may play an important role tomorrow. If things go well for Delpo, let's see if he can handle the pressure to close the match.

Djokovic Vs Fedex is another classic. The first set will be crucial, if Federer wins, the swiss will probably get this in 3 sets, but if Djokovic wins the first, we will go to 5. I have a feeling Novak is going to win this one tomorrow. Everybody is already talking about a Nadal-Federer final but I feel Djokovic has also a chance.

Either way, we have two great matches tomorrow. I can't wait.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »

Everybody is already talking about a Nadal-Federer final

Count me in on this group, I will be disappointed if these two don't move on.  It won't be a  walk in the park for either of them, though.  Can't wait for tomorrow's matches.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

beer to Del Potro!!!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:00:31 PM by estebanf » Logged

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2009, 02:11:06 AM »

Federer's SHOT!! Greatest ever!!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »

Dissapointed match from Nadal. Del Potro was just too good.

Hopefully Nadal will get his AO'09 form back soon. He was totally outplayed and outhit by the argentinian. The first few games though seemed like the outcome was going to be different, but once Del Potro saved a few break points, he took control and never looked back. Congrats to him, I'll be rooting for Juan tonight.

And Federer, what can I say really. Novak played an amazing match and lost in 3 tight sets. And that point and 0-30 with 5-6 in the third was simply amazing. Nothing but class.

Congrats for both Roger and Juan for putting the best tennis on this tournament so far. They deserve to be in the final. I hope Juan is able to put behind his head-to-head with Federer and plays with the same confidence he showed against Nadal.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2009, 06:51:15 PM »

Oh man...Del Potro just choked away the third set. 2 doubles in a row with 4-5 down 30-30. Lost the game and set.  no

Add to Edit.- Great match. I thought Juan Martin was not going to be able to come back after the third set, but he sure did. Congrats to him  beer

On a side note, what a dick the broadcaster. Del Potro wanted to say a few words in spanish and the CBS broadcaster said they were running out of time.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:41:39 PM by Ignatius » Logged
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »

COME ON DELPO LA PUTA MADRE QUE LOS PARIO!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

damn man what a great final we've seen!! Federer played in an average level but that's more than enough for him to win these finals. But Juanma unleashed the machine gun he has got in his right arm and Fedex wasn't able to stop it!! This is where the ''he cant win big matches against big players'' argument is buried forever: he destroyed Nadal in straight sets in semis and then defeated the best tennis player in history and current #1 of the ranking playing in the final, being ALL THE MATCH down in the score.

What amazes me more is the fact he didnt make too many aces, but after this championship its safe to say Delpo has the best and most aggresive drive of all the circuit.

I think this is the birth of a new tennis monster. He needed a trophy of these dimensions to believe in himself. After this final, I can clearly see in Del Potro the next #1 in the world. He has everything needed to be #1: he's tall, he's fast, he has the best drive in the world, a solid backhand, a superb serve and he can defend if needed. He might need to improve his skills at net but that's something he can just practice and improve with the pass of time.

Congratulations to Del Potro! Another latinamerican player in the big history of tennis. A line for ''La Torre De Tandil'' must be added next to Vilas, Guga and Gaudio  beer

edit: atptennis.com/en is down... damn it  rant
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:06:39 PM by estebanf » Logged

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »

On a side note, what a dick the broadcaster. Del Potro wanted to say a few words in spanish and the CBS broadcaster said they were running out of time.

Well, it WAS Dick Ebersol.  Grin

At least he let DP speak en espanol.

That was one of the great matches.  I always enjoy watching Federerererererer collapse in the 5th set in grand slam finals.
domi
Kashmir
Rocker

Vae Victis!

« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2009, 04:39:02 AM »

Great match with a deserved winner.
I thought he lost it in the third with the double faults but mentally he seems to be very strong. This amazes me if you consider that it was his first major final and he is only 20.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:41:57 AM by domi » Logged

Omne ius hominum causa constitutum.
(Hermogenian, D. 1,5,2)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #254 on: September 15, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »

Well, it WAS Dick Ebersol.  Grin

hihi

Oh was it? I promise i didn't do it on purpose. I didn't know

That was one of the great matches.  I always enjoy watching Federerererererer collapse in the 5th set in grand slam finals.

Yeah me too. I was rooting for Delpo moreso after the second set.

Federer is class and the best player ever. But his antics on and off court are really something I'm starting to dislike. Against Delpo he lost the second set cause he wanted to show off and humilliate Juan Martin by going too far with his shot arsenal. Shot behind the back here and there, half volleys drop shots...I understand some of those shots are useful and definitely a part of Federer's game, but Roger's dominance was so brutal in the first set and a half he made it seem like he was giving a lesson to a junior and I didnt really like that.

Also, the way he orders challenge reminds of the Marinees (not that I've ever been). Last night, at one stage of the match, Delpo challenged the call 10 seconds after it was called out and Federer got pissed off cause he said it was too late to challenge. To be fair, he was right cause in his match against Djokovic he challenged a call "late" and the ref said he couldn't use it. However, the way he talks to refs in general could very well be worth of a warning. But hey, he is Mr. Roger Federer and no one dares to give the best player of all time a warning.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #255 on: September 15, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Dick Enberg...get your Dicks straight!   hihi

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:53 AM »

Yeah Ignatius, I agree about what you said about Rahrahrahrahrahrahrah's treatment of the refs.  We uses curse words when he speaks to them.

How is he not getting fined over that?  Serena Williams says hello!

(They're trying to keep the black woman down!)

Apperantly she said something else other than that (is there any audio of that?), but that was a fucked up call anyway. I understand this is tennis and there are rules judges and players must go by but calling a foot fault with 4-5 down, 15-30 on second serve is ridiculous. Serena snapped and she should'nt have, but imagine how that must feel if you are in a GS semis playing the most critical points of the match.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #257 on: September 16, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »

She apparently told the linewoman ''I will kill you''.

Federer was even ruder with the umpire in the final he lost against Del Potro and he wasn't even warned

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #258 on: September 18, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »

She apparently told the linewoman ''I will kill you''.

Federer was even ruder with the umpire in the final he lost against Del Potro and he wasn't even warned

Apparently, I heard that was what Serena thought she heard the linesperson  say, but Serena misheard the linesperson in front of the chair.  Serena clear as day as day said she'd take the fucking ball and shove it down her fucking throat.

McEnroe was entertaining back in the day, but this was completely out of line.  Serena should be heavily fined and suspended...and never should have been allowed to continue playing the Doubles championship.  By letting her continue with zero remorse, none, the governing body of professional tennis let the sport down.

and can somebody please answer me this...why on earth was she wearing sneakers with black coloring?  What idiot makes it EASIER for the linespeople to even see small foot faults?  Grrr.   rant 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #259 on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »

Crystal meth, hair weaves and majors

Andre Agassi knows how low he once sunk because of the grand view he has now

If image really is everything, why would Andre Agassi admit in his new book that he used crystal meth? Not once but dozens of times? And why would he admit he lied about it to the Association of Tennis Professionals?

Why would a son admit how much he feared his Iranian father -- feared him and hated him since the age of 7? And why -- why! -- would a man admit he wore perhaps the world's only Mohawk toupee?

Why? Because this isn't just any book.

This is Agassi's mea culpa -- "Open" (from Knopf, written with Pulitzer Prize winner J.R. Moehringer) -- and from the beginning, he and Moehringer set out to write the most revealing, literate and toes-stompingly honest sports autobiography in history. From the parts I've been allowed to read, they might have done it.

"I just tell people, this book is honest," says Agassi, who worked with Moehringer for a full year, meeting nearly daily at the Las Vegas house Agassi once lived in with Brooke Shields. "It lives up to the title. It's my life, for better or worse. Get ready, buckle up, and keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times."

"Open" is the story of a flawed man who sees everybody's imperfections, but none more than his own. It's the tale of a man who knows how low he sunk if only because of the grand view he has now.

Agassi's early life was not his, never his, not from the beginning, not from the time his Olympic boxer father built a backyard prison especially for him, a tennis court he was figuratively chained to day after day, while his father's homemade ball machine -- the dragon, Agassi called it -- ceaselessly spit out balls faster, harder, forever.

Agassi bucked against tennis like a horse with a two-sizes-too-small bit. But he could not escape it. And so his life became a kind of lie, from his shoelace groundstrokes to his Mohawk, a hairpiece that once came apart in the shower before the French Open. The day was saved by bobby pins.

Your own life is hard enough. Living somebody else's life for them weighs on a man like a stone backpack. By 1997 -- even after winning an Olympic gold medal in 1996 -- Agassi was down, depressed and stuck playing a game he didn't love. He was physically wrecked (wrist) and emotionally spent. He was with the wrong woman -- Shields -- and knew it.

He'd sunk to No. 141 in the world. He recalls that he was sitting at home when his assistant, Slim, introduced him to one of the most addictive substances known to man:

Slim says, You want to get high with me?

On what?

Gack.

What the hell's gack?

Crystal meth.

Why do they call it gack?

Because that's the sound you make when you're high. Make you feel like Superman, dude.

As if they're coming out of someone else's mouth, I hear these words: You know what? F*** it. Yeah. Let's get high.

Agassi pulled himself out of the French Open that year and hardly practiced for Wimbledon. That fall, it got worse. The ATP informed him at the end of 1997 that he'd flunked a drug test. He would likely be looking at a three-month suspension. He would probably lose all his endorsements and most of his fans.

What to do? Keep lying.

Agassi admits he wrote a letter to the ATP saying Slim accidentally "spiked" his drink, that it was not his fault. The ATP dropped the flunked test, with no discipline for Agassi. He admits in the book he felt "ashamed."

It was the lowest point in a life that would suddenly begin to soar. You can condemn Agassi all you want for the crystal meth -- and he'd deserve it -- but remember, Agassi dropped the habit soon after. Then, in 1998, he made the biggest one-year jump into the Top 10 in the history of the ATP Rankings, going from his year-end 122 to No. 6. He'd win five of his eight major titles after finding the bottom.

They call Agassi the greatest returner in history. They aren't kidding.

We all know what became of the showy, glitzy kid with all that fake hair and real talent. He shaved his hair off. He started being real. He learned to love tennis, and tennis learned to love him. The kid who never got past the ninth grade in school wound up funding and running the prestigious Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy in Las Vegas. The man who couldn't find the right woman finally married the one everybody wanted -- tennis goddess Steffi Graf. And the son who hated his father learned to love him and his own two kids.

Why is Agassi so scorchingly honest in these excerpts? Maybe because he once lived enough lies for five men. Or maybe because, as an educator, he's heard the truth can set him free.

But hopefully, by the time you close "Open," you'll know that this book is about more than the wrong turns he took. It's about how that broken road led him straight to the good man he is now.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: