Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The war in Georgia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The war in Georgia  (Read 14410 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »

Georgia has been a loyal ally to the USA and what do they get in return? nothing......

This is what burns me up about it. We don't necessarily need to go in there with guns blazing and start World War 3, but we could be doing a lot more to help. A blockade against Russia or UN sanctions would be a starting point. Russia has pretty much violated international law with this invasion. Granted the circumstances are different, but this kind of reminds me of when Saddam invaded Kuwait.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
makane
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »

Fine line between going guns blazing and just helping out.
Seems like Putin already slammed US for airlifting Georgian troops out of Iraq.
News are now reporting that Russians are still advancing.

Bush recently; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5FHQihY7SU
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:12:31 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

This is what burns me up about it. We don't necessarily need to go in there with guns blazing and start World War 3, but we could be doing a lot more to help. A blockade against Russia or UN sanctions would be a starting point. Russia has pretty much violated international law with this invasion. Granted the circumstances are different, but this kind of reminds me of when Saddam invaded Kuwait.

That's exactly what I was getting at, a blockade or sanctions would be the least the usa could do but it looks like bush thinks the olympics are more important...

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 07:23:03 PM »

I'm not happy with Bush's lack of response, while he was watching the olympics, Putin went back to Russia to co-ordinate the attack. At least now he's paying attention to the matter.

To be fair, those photos are pretty funny, but  obviously photoshopped.

We pretty much don't have a military option on the table, we somehow were caught with our pants down. Russia seems like they have been planning this for awhile due to the swiftness and numbers of its forces swarming into Georgia. We can certainly make things harder on Russia within the int'l community since most agree that this attack is  not even close to being warranted.

Time to sign up Ukraine with NATO before Russia sets its sights on that country as well.......

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »

This will be interesting to watch.

Russia went too far.

I really understand the fact that they were fired upon first.  Their actions in South Ossetia were justified.  But they shouldn't advance any farther.  This to me, is Russia flexing its military muscle to show up the U.S. and China.

Fuck all of them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:14:49 AM by Archie Bunker's Chair » Logged
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »

when CDe sees this thread he's gonna think "woah is there a war in atlanta?"  hihi

hahah i wouldnt doubt it.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 02:07:34 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_russia_georgia

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 03:16:17 AM »

He should be the last person telling others to pull out of countries!  rofl
Bob
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 04:17:13 AM »

Russia went to far.
But they shouldn't advance any farther.  This to me, is Russia flexing its military muscle to show up the U.S. and China.

Fuck all of them.

Can you prevent a criminal from shooting at you by calling the police? Hope you need to disarm him first. That's not too far.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 05:15:04 AM »

Russia went to far.
But they shouldn't advance any farther.  This to me, is Russia flexing its military muscle to show up the U.S. and China.

Fuck all of them.

Can you prevent a criminal from shooting at you by calling the police? Hope you need to disarm him first. That's not too far.

What?
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 05:21:14 AM »

We pretty much don't have a military option on the table, we somehow were caught with our pants down. Russia seems like they have been planning this for awhile due to the swiftness and numbers of its forces swarming into Georgia. We can certainly make things harder on Russia within the int'l community since most agree that this attack is  not even close to being warranted.

While Russia is truly getting most out of the situationin in very rutheless fashion, it's good to remember that it was  Georgia who initially fucked up. It's them who thought it was a good idea to launch an altirillerity bombartment in Ossetania's capital, then invade it.
Right now Georgia is  doing  it's best to be in helpless peaceloving victim mode, but it is them who brought the military operations to table. It doesn't exactly justify Russia's  current actions.But it's Georgia itself that made Russia's operation posible.

Russians do have a more solid diplomatic shield for  the current operation than what US has/had for invasion of Iraq, for example.

I bet even Russia can't afford(in diplomatic sense) to actually invade and occupy Georgia..but I wonder if they are going for a forced governmnet exchange in there, instead of settling to  just tearing the seperatist parts further away from Georgia.

Also, Russia suddenly getting some sort of sanctions from UN or US because of this is about as likely as U.S getting sanctions over Iraq.
When players involved are too large, they can pull this stuff off. No one wants to fuck up world economy or start a new cold war just because Russia is kicking it's small neighbor in the balls.
As long as invasion and occupation  of entire Georgia isn't taking place all EU/U.S will do is spam pleads for peace  and " pls dont do that!" statements to Russia.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:54:36 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »

I have to agree with my more conservative friends. The Neo-Soviets are making a power play. Apparently, they have now opened up a two front campaign ... a pincer movement to trap the Georgian forces. If they make a move on Gori their intentions will be evident.

This affront to the sovereignty of Georgia can not be tolerated. It is time time for the European Union to step up ... if they have any balls.

Think Munich!!!

sic siempre tyranis

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 07:50:43 AM »

I have to agree with my more conservative friends. The Neo-Soviets are making a power play. Apparently, they have now opened up a two front campaign ... a pincer movement to trap the Georgian forces. If they make a move on Gori their intentions will be evident.

This affront to the sovereignty of Georgia can not be tolerated. It is time time for the European Union to step up ... if they have any balls.

Think Munich!!!

sic siempre tyranis

Russian President Dimitri Medvedev just declared  they have reached their goals  and war efforts have ended from their part.

What did you mean by " stepping up" I wonder.
If there is an isoated incident of a meber of G7 assing about, diplomatic whine is more or less all you can ever expect from international community.
The only speech Bush ever gave during the actual war efforts*didn't even condemn Russia's actions. Instead of " I dislike russians using force!" it was along the lines of " I dislike Russians using too much force!"

*--atleast only one I happened to come across
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:19:21 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 11:44:42 AM »

Trying to achieve peace by bombing other country's civilians to death? Great job!

All I can say is that I hate living next to the asshole of the earth. And I'm not talking about our beloved western neighbour, I'm talking about the eastern.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:19 AM »

So I guess Bush can't get any credit for helping this situation right?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »

He needs to get tougher with Russia, and I'm not saying it has to be a military option.

At least France  tried to do something with brokering the truce.

HOWEVER, As of this AM, 50 Russian armored vehicles moved into key Georgian city of Gori, seized military base and are looting in the city - this is after a truce was signed.

It does not seem that Russia has any consequences for its actions yet from the international community, so they are doing whatever they want, including breaking truces within 24 hours of agreeing to them.

This thing is not over...

As one senator put it, both sides just need to "show restraint"  hihi
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:12:29 AM by Senator John "Bluto" Blutarsky » Logged

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 01:46:46 PM »

Going to get worse before it gets better  no

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »

He spoke to Putin in China, then he was back in the White House after two days in Beijing, contrary to the belief that people think he's still there.

McCain has the right idea regarding the conflict though  Smiley
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »

Unfortunately, the Georgian?s are learning what happens when a reborn super-power knocks their your door, provoked or unprovoked. Western allies are reluctant to recreate World Wars I & II by fighting over a small parcel of land called Sudetenland South Ossetia. Russia is stepping lightly to see our response, and they?ll continue to press and absorb as much as possible until the West does more than just ?talk?. Sending out troops into Georgia would escalate this by hundred fold, but we could be doing a lot more to Russia on the diplomatic and economic front. Removing them from the G-8, barring them from the WTO and economic sanctions his would hurt Russia immensely and be very effective. I think they'd turn back if we did that.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 01:41:24 PM »

It's the E.U.'s call mainly, with the help of other nations.  The U.S. has been active in trying to end the conflict/intrusion.  Sec. Of State Condolezza Rice has been very active in the "truce" and President Bush has called P.M. Putin directly.  The US has sent emergency aid to the area in a significant amount.  The economic sanctions that some have mentioned between the US and Russia would do nothing because we only trade approx. 26 Billion worth of trade a year.  That is typically what we trade with China per month.  That's why it is really up to the E.U. to effectively broker a real deal.  P.M. Putin and Russia has shown it's true Soviet style and slowly trying to bring the good old days back.  They face isolation from the WTO or whatever groups are out there besides international isolation if it continues.
   The President of the US would be able to have immediate and secure contact where ever he may be.  He doesn't have to be in the White House to make decisions unlike the US Congress that does have to be in the Capitol.  It's common sense people...  Sometimes people are so wrapped up in political divide, that they can't think outside the box, which is why so many problems exist today.  Think about it, some are so politically divided that they can't even agree on a good idea if it comes from the other side of the aisle.  I guess that's why there is some much gridlock in politics.  There exists a large amount of our own politicians that do not think for the people but for the party line or their special interests etc...These are professional politicians and that's where term limits would help.  New thinking and new ideas.  Less connection to lobby and re-election campaigning.  IDK Maybe I'm wrong?

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: