Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Fantasy Football
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Fantasy Football  (Read 60241 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »

hopefully, a 12th will appear before draft time.  unfortunately, a buddy of mine is busy.  anybody else?...preferably a GNR fan.   yes

For those who haven't read my 20+ posts praising my HTGTH Fantasy Football Championship, I just wanted to remind ya'll, this trophy looks really nice!   Grin

Jessica Alba...err...Axl4Prez knows fantasy football.   Cheesy

(btw, gilee, a true Pats' fan talking down Maroney hours before draft time...playing it like Parcells with misinformation!   hihi)

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:13 PM »

Don't forget about Sammy Morris too gilee.  I had Maroney last year too and wasn't thrilled with the production.  He picked it up late in the season, but can he carry that over into this season?  Apparently many people think yes.

We will have the draft tonight.  My friend just got home from work and asked if there was still a spot open for him.  He's out to dinner now but he should be back in time, again he's not on any of these boards but he'll make us all even and allow us to draft tonight.  I'll give anyone else an hour or so more before I sign him in though.  The clock is ticking.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »

Don't forget about Sammy Morris too gilee.  I had Maroney last year too and wasn't thrilled with the production.  He picked it up late in the season, but can he carry that over into this season?  Apparently many people think yes.

We will have the draft tonight.  My friend just got home from work and asked if there was still a spot open for him.  He's out to dinner now but he should be back in time, again he's not on any of these boards but he'll make us all even and allow us to draft tonight.  I'll give anyone else an hour or so more before I sign him in though.  The clock is ticking.

Go ahead and sign him in. Let's don't take any chances

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

Looks like we got a 12th.  Now we just have to hope nobody drops out in the next hour and a half.   nervous

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 08:01:14 PM »

Surely they wont, is everyone gonna be in there chatting?

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 08:34:13 PM »

Surely they wont, is everyone gonna be in there chatting?

I think I can be in around 9:30 or 9:35.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »

Im gonna be drafting,chatting and studying all at the same time.
Damn PTA courses! hihi hihi hihi

3 days has felt like 3 months.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »

The draft order has been set.  I've got the 2nd pick (I swear it was random), D's got the 4th pick, C0ma #5, Alba's got #9, sandman has #11, and gilee has 12.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:18 PM »

Yes, I admit I should have had my next pick cued up...if Chris Johnson has a breakout season for Sandman, so help me God!   hihi  I got fucking Gostkowski way too early because I got kicked off the site...it happened a couple times, but that and one very late (Bryant Johnson) were my only auto-picks.

Nice draft folks.   beer

Anybody else hate their team?   crying   Smiley

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 01:27:50 AM »

Yes, I admit I should have had my next pick cued up...if Chris Johnson has a breakout season for Sandman, so help me God!   hihi  I got fucking Gostkowski way too early because I got kicked off the site...it happened a couple times, but that and one very late (Bryant Johnson) were my only auto-picks.

That sucks, man. I've had that same problem with Yahoo drafts this season. I miss the simple ol' draft window Yahoo has used in previous years. After suffering the same problem you did, where I either lose my connection or the draft window just freezes up, and I have to sit back and watch the computer make a pick for me (which is never a good one), I've learned to keep my queue stacked with players.

But hey, champ, I don't want to hear you using that lost pick as an excuse for when your team goes down in defeat this season!

Here Today . . .
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 01:49:36 AM »

That sucks, man. I've had that same problem with Yahoo drafts this season. I miss the simple ol' draft window Yahoo has used in previous years. After suffering the same problem you did, where I either lose my connection or the draft window just freezes up, and I have to sit back and watch the computer make a pick for me (which is never a good one), I've learned to keep my queue stacked with players.

But hey, champ, I don't want to hear you using that lost pick as an excuse for when your team goes down in defeat this season!
Yeah I got kicked off once too, but was able to get back in time to make my pick.  For some reason I couldn't join in the chat session though.  I couldn't scroll down far enough to type.  I could read everything that was written, but couldn't write anything myself.  I miss the old style draft window as well, even though the improvements are nice and all.  I like my team up until the flex position.  Unless Ricky Williams is gonna return to his vintage self.  I think I may have jumped the gun on Romo too early too, some pretty good QB's were still available rounds later.  We'll see.  I wouldn't say I hate my team, but I'm certainly not about to predict a championship season.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 02:49:44 AM »

I think it's safe to say HTGTH dominated the draft. There were some exceptionally stupid picks made by those "other guys": Randy Moss 3rd overrall; Eli Manning in the 2nd round; DeSean Jackson in the 3rd round; Chicago's defense in the 5th as the first defense taken. James Lofton will probably be the first team with LT to ever finish dead last in a league. PaSnow also has a horrible team; as does Neemo (Ahmad Bradshaw is his #2 RB for Christ's sake!). CC's Gold Medals and The Bend DPer's are both exceptionally weak at WR, though they're okay at other positions. Of the "other guys," I think the only one who had a decent draft was Demolition, though I'd be worried about Matt Forte as my #2 RB.

I think most of the HTGTH guys did pretty well. C0ma probably has the weakest team among us, but he's still better than most of the guys from the other board. Jessica Alba, I think you made some excellent picks near the end of the draft. Felix Jones in the 13th round was an absolute steal!!! I saw him keep falling and falling, and I was so hoping he was going fall right into my lap, but then you snatched him up three picks before me!!! Chris Henry in the last round was also a great pick, particularly with Chad Johnson's shoulder situation. I also think Ray Rice will surprise a lot of people this year, considering McGahee's currently injured and hasn't practiced much. You have a glaring weakness at QB, though. Bulger was pretty awful last year thanks to a decimated offensive line. Rodgers is a solid back-up option, though; I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being more useful fantasy-wise than Bulger this season.

D, I like your team, but you're fairly weak at WR (you said so yourself). Brandon Jacobs makes me nervous too since he'll likely be splitting carries with Bradshaw and Derrick Ward.

I really like Mr. Brownstone; very solid at every position. Ricky Williams looks like he's for real this season, and for now he's the starter. Chris Perry could turn out to be a steal with Rudi Johnson probably leaving Cincy. And Penus Williams, when Brandon Marshall comes back, you're going to have a kick ass group of WRs with Marshall, Roddy White, and Reggie Wayne. If McNabb can stay healthy, and McGahee performs like he did last season, you could be the team to beat.

Personally, I'm very happy with my team. I don't really have a superstar at any position; but my team is solid and should be consistent all season. Portis, Larry Johnson, and Jamal Lewis are three RBs who should get 350+ carries this season. (I just hope they can all stay healthy.) Roy Williams, Bowe, and Cotchery are a solid group of WRs. Bowe was pretty damn good last season as a rookie, and should only be better this year (especially with defenses focusing more on Larry Johnson). I also think Cotchery will post career numbers now that he has a strong-armed QB to throw him the ball. Plus an ageless, ever-consistent Joey Galloway, as well as two breakout candidates in Anthony Gonzalez and Ted Ginn Jr., make for solid bye-week replacements. My QB situation is the only position that concerns me a little bit. Garrard is extremely consistent, and he never turns the ball over. However, Jacksonville's mostly a run-first team, and Garrard doesn't have the greatest WRs in the world. I like Schaub as a back-up, and for how late in the draft I got him; he showed flashes last season, but he couldn't stay healthy (his success is also tied to Andre Johnson, another guy who can't seem to stay healthy). Overall, though, I really like my team, and look forward to getting some (Shackler's) revenge from last year.

beer

Here Today . . .
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:41 AM »

That draft was a bit fucked. I logged in minutes before draft time, and then when I'm on the clock, it glitches out. When my connection comes back, it says I picked LT. Was pretty pissed about that. Never would have picked him, especially not first.

Also, I couldn't chat in the room. I could see what you guys were saying but couldn't chat. Its like yahoo loaded certain features of the draft for me. I was surprised I made it the rest of the way through. When I saw axl4prez have problems in that late round, I had a feeling it was about to glitch out on me again.

I wish I had watched more preseason before doing this draft. I went in blind. There would be someone I wanted, and then would think,"are they injured? benched?".

I think it's safe to say HTGTH dominated the draft. There were some exceptionally stupid picks made by those "other guys": Randy Moss 3rd overrall; Eli Manning in the 2nd round; DeSean Jackson in the 3rd round; Chicago's defense in the 5th as the first defense taken. James Lofton will probably be the first team with LT to ever finish dead last in a league.
Yeah, how moronic of me to pick one of the top rated defenses and a top rated QB in the league for my team.

Might want to wait until you have a win or two under your belt before talking so much trash. I don't even like fantasy football. Only agreed to it because Faldor asked me and some of the football fans at my site, he wanted an Evo vs HTGTH fantasy league and since I'm a long time member here agreed, and because you needed slots filled. Consider it a favor. hihi

Logging out again. Only logged in to post because I've known a few of you guys in the draft for years here and didn't want you to think I was being a snob or anything. I literally could not join in on the chat.

Good luck everyone. beer smoking

You're gonna need it. rofl

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 06:57:17 AM »

That draft was a bit fucked. I logged in minutes before draft time, and then when I'm on the clock, it glitches out. When my connection comes back, it says I picked LT. Was pretty pissed about that. Never would have picked him, especially not first.

Who would you have rather picked? Nate Kaeding? J.T. O'Sullivan? Marty Booker?

Yeah, how moronic of me to pick one of the top rated defenses and a top rated QB in the league for my team.

First of all, Eli Manning may be the Superbowl MVP, but he's not a top-rated fantasy QB. Not even close. You could have waited until probably round 10 or 11 and still got the guy. And you could have waited even longer than that to pick Chicago.

I don't mean to be a dick, though, man. Thank you for joining and saving our draft. I didn't realize you were a member of HTGTH, either.

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 08:15:02 AM »

i just looked at all the rosters, and there seems to be alot of balance. it's tough to say that anyone's team looks THAT much stronger than everyone else. right now, the rosters i probably like the most are:

1. Mr. Brownstone - if S. Young and R. Williams stay healthy and get a high percentage of their teams carries, your team will be stacked.

2. Jessica Alba - i love your 3 RBs, and you have difference makers at every position except QB. that's a big question mark but i think Rogers will put up pretty steady numbers all year.

as for my pick of brandon marshall, i heard he should get his suspension knocked down to 2 games, and maybe even 1 game. still risky cause 3 weeks would be alot. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »

i just looked at all the rosters, and there seems to be alot of balance. it's tough to say that anyone's team looks THAT much stronger than everyone else. right now, the rosters i probably like the most are:

1. Mr. Brownstone - if S. Young and R. Williams stay healthy and get a high percentage of their teams carries, your team will be stacked.

2. Jessica Alba - i love your 3 RBs, and you have difference makers at every position except QB. that's a big question mark but i think Rogers will put up pretty steady numbers all year.

as for my pick of brandon marshall, i heard he should get his suspension knocked down to 2 games, and maybe even 1 game. still risky cause 3 weeks would be alot. 
Yeah I think a lot of the teams have great potential, but at the same time are filled with questions, which I guess is always the case before the season starts.  I actually thought C0ma had a real good team too.  Solid QB and WR's.  RB's may be a bit of a question mark but they could definitely come through.

As for my team, Selvin Young scares me, I really didn't want to take him but I thought he was the best option available for my #2 RB at the time.  Drafting a Denver RB used to be a guaranteed homerun, but the last couple years its been a nightmare.  Shanahan switches guys on a weekly basis it seems.  IF Young sticks that could turn out to be a great pick, but if Shanahan continues the rotating RB system I could be in trouble.  And Ricky Williams lasted a handful of plays last season, I'm hoping for a little more than that this year.

PaSnow is a member over at gnrevolution, just to explain his draft a little.  He wasn't there early on and was autodrafting.  He had put Desean Jackson up a little too high I guess.  He rated WR's high up.  It doesn't sound like he would've made that pick if he was in the room.  Lofton may have stretched for the Chicago D, he's a Bear fan though, so I'd consider that a pick with the heart.  I didn't draft any Patriots, not by design, just sort of happened that way.  But the Bears are certainly a solid D.  And after picking Eli he selected Burress, a nice duo to double up 10+ times a year for a TD.  I had Romo/Owens last year which was nice.  Those who had Brady/Moss did fairly well.  Not saying they'll reach that level, but that's often a nice thing to have.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »

i went total homer with the philly guys. i think mcnabb is primed for a big season. and i think the Eagles D could surprise this year - improved D, A. Samuel, and what looks like could be a strong return game. and i usually take my K near the end and figured Akers is as good as anybody that was left. he's due for a good year, especially if the eagles return to playoff form.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »

Yeah, I was looking to grab the Eagles D but you got them before me.  I think they'll put up some solid fantasy numbers.  Akers is solid, though kickers are least important in fantasy football. Usually my sure fire last pick.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »

as does Neemo (Ahmad Bradshaw is his #2 RB for Christ's sake!).

yeah that was a fuckup...i ran out of time and he was the dude that was highlighted when the clock ran out

its all good...he played good in the SB maybe he'll have an ok season...i didnt realize there was 2 RBs every week or i wouldnt have waited so long to pick my second  Undecided i only signed up a couple hours before draft time so i didnt read all the rules and i went in with no research.

anway my wideouts are ok and i'm deep with my D and my QB's ... (took a chance on coles and hester)

ah well you suckers are all goin down anyway  yes

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:54 PM »

WR's dont win fantasy leagues though

I have great QB's in Anderson and Hasselback. Plus Jason Witten was almost a 1200 yrd TE so he makes up for my receiving weakness a lot plus I do have TJ Houzmenzadah.

I think Sidney Rice will be really good this year and Im not even sure who my other one is.

I feel I am stacked at RB

Westbrook is a fantasy phenom as long as he stays healthy
Jacobs is gonna have a breakout season. He may split some carries but u can guarantee he is getting the ball in the red zone and will get the TD opportunities. Lendale White plays for a coach who loves pounding the rock and he has a weak throwing QB and will get the touches in the red zone. He had 1100 yards last year and will be in his 3rd year which is normally a break out for most guys.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: