Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:53:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227818 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2008 Fantasy Football
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 Fantasy Football  (Read 60343 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »

I think last year WR's were just as important, if not moreso, than RB's.  The fact that it was more of a pass happy league last year combined with lots of teams going with multiple backs.  I've heard teams won't be so reliant on the pass this season and may revert back more to the ground game, but last year a lot of WR's outscored a lot of starting RB's.  Out of the top 25 scoring WR/RB last year (based on our leagues scoring system) it was pretty much an even split, 13 RB's and 12 WR's.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 05:36:42 PM »

i just looked at all the rosters, and there seems to be alot of balance. it's tough to say that anyone's team looks THAT much stronger than everyone else. right now, the rosters i probably like the most are:

1. Mr. Brownstone - if S. Young and R. Williams stay healthy and get a high percentage of their teams carries, your team will be stacked.

2. Jessica Alba - i love your 3 RBs, and you have difference makers at every position except QB. that's a big question mark but i think Rogers will put up pretty steady numbers all year.

as for my pick of brandon marshall, i heard he should get his suspension knocked down to 2 games, and maybe even 1 game. still risky cause 3 weeks would be alot. 

I agree with Sandman.  Mr. Brownstone was the 1st team to really jump out of the screen at me.  That team is stacked.

With my squad, I waited on qb a bit long.  I really think the Rams are a completely different team.  Last year, not only did they lose Orlando Pace for the whole year, they lost 3 other starting o-linemen.  S-Jax is back.  New, fast blood to go with perennial All-Pro Torry Holt (Donnie Avery)...now that Bulger isn't playing with broken ribs, he'll be back kickin' ass.  Aaron Rodgers may take some time, but he's gotta be the real deal.  Tons of talent around him as well.  

I do have to be honest here...when grabbing qb that late, you need options...I was eyeing Jay Cutler.  I think he's due for a nice fantasy season.   beer to the team who got him!

D, just remember what Fisher said about Lendale.  It looks like a 60-40 or 50-50 distribution with White and Johnson.  THAT is why I wanted Chris Johnson, Sandman ya bastard!!!   hihi  Gostkowski...ugh!  What a kick in the nads.   Embarrassed

Don't worry, no excuses here.  If Lendale White gets hurt or goes on a Big Mac-eating binge though, and loses the job to the fast kid Johnson, I will probably remind ya'll of that Yahoo hiccup!   hihi

I like the commentaries fellas.  btw, James Lofton, don't be down on LT.  He would have been my 1st pick, without a fucking doubt.  ...Eli Manning that early, well that's another story.  hihi  Thanks for gettin' on board!  HTGTH better represent this Fall!   beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »

Sorry to hear you got kicked off and got Gostkowski autodrafted for you Axl4Prez.  I saw you asking me to pause the draft, but I couldn't respond.  For some reason I couldn't get involved in the chatting.  My screen didn't scroll down far enough to type, I tried everything, but I got kicked off myself at one point.  After that I figure I better not mess with anything anymore.  I don't think there's much I could've done anyway, it's tough in an online draft when there's a computerized moderator.  I was looking to draft Rodgers as a backup QB.  Instead I got stuck with VY.  Hopefully I only need him once this year and that week he throws and rushes for 2 TD's each.  That's what I'm banking on.  I drafted Bulger the last 2 years and he was great the first time around, not so much last year.  His o-line has been shaky for some time now but last year it finally caught up with him and the rest of the team.  He's still got the skills, I'd expect an improvement.  Not sure if he'll be back to where he once was though.  Although that division still sucks, so you never know.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »

Faldor, you're cool.  No sweat.  I am used to being a commish.  My money league is in its 11th season.  An occasional bugaboo will come up, and using fanball, I'm able to roll back a pick if needed.  Thankfully, we've never had a big problem...one pick rolled back every couple years.

Mr. Brownstone is my pre-season #1...followed in no particular order by:  Bend DPers, Demolition, and Penus Williams.  Penus should do well as I've got the Philadelphia Eagles doing really well this season.

Anybody else just do 2 leagues?  If so, do you have any players on both squads?  I'm quite nervous about having Jeremy "injury" Shockey on both my teams.  Ernie Graham's another one.   nervous

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 11:00:15 PM »

I did another draft tonight.  I picked up Jerry Porter as a backup, Colston as my #1 WR, Jennings as my #2, and Ricky Williams as my possible WR/RB.  So hopefully they have good years, or I'm in some trouble.  I've got another draft coming next Tuesday, so I'll probably add more to the list.  QB's went pretty quick so I was forced into taking Matt Hasselbeck in the 5th round.  Not totally psyched about that, apparently his back is bothering him.  If he can equal last years numbers I'll be fine, I just gotta hope Deion Branch can get healthy for once.  I had the fifth pick though and Westbrook fell to me, I was happy with that.  I also took Shockey in the 6th round, I missed Tony Gonzalez by one pick.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:06:32 PM by faldor » Logged

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »

Gonzales?  Never trust a vegetarian.  Grin  Seriously, that's too bad because he's a Top 3 tight end.

Now the draft is over...anybody care to divulge what players were on their "I won't draft this guy" list?

Some of mine:
Edgerrin, Rudi, LJ, Maroney, Jacobs, McGahee, Plaxico, R. Bush, R. Brown, Julius Jones, any Texan rb's.

any others for you folks?

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:26 AM »

Now the draft is over...anybody care to divulge what players were on their "I won't draft this guy" list?

Some of mine:
Edgerrin, Rudi, LJ, Maroney, Jacobs, McGahee, Plaxico, R. Bush, R. Brown, Julius Jones, any Texan rb's.

any others for you folks?

Maroney, Rudi Johnson, and Ahman Green are really the only three guys I can think of that I'd refuse to draft. There are several others that I'd only take if they fell much farther than their average draft position: Brandon Jacobs (injury prone and RBBC make him too risky for such a high pick); Chad Johnson (shoulder scares me); McGahee (I keep reading about Ray Rice looking super impressive and how the coaches love him; combine that with McGahee's injury and questionable work ethic and you have all the makings for a fantasy bust); Ronnie Brown (largely because he's coming off such a major injury, plus Ricky Williams is back in the mix); Marc Bulger because of his offensive line, plus Isaac Bruce is gone and Holt is getting older.

I also think Wes Welker is being taken too high. People pick him as their #1 WR, when he's really just a slot reciever. He might deserve such a high draft pick in PPR leagues, but not in standard leagues. I don't think he'll come anywhere close to duplicating last year's numbers.

Hasselbeck also makes me nervous, largely because his recieving corps is decimated, and he's got some kind of back injury going on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:57:11 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2008, 02:23:51 AM »

I just read that Brandon Marshall had his suspension dropped to one game. Man, I almost picked the guy but thought, 'nah, I can't afford to have my number one WR on the bench for three weeks (four weeks counting the bye). I sure do wish I had picked him now.

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »

I just read that Brandon Marshall had his suspension dropped to one game. Man, I almost picked the guy but thought, 'nah, I can't afford to have my number one WR on the bench for three weeks (four weeks counting the bye). I sure do wish I had picked him now.

that's good news. i had read over the weekend that the Broncos were sending a lawyer and hoping to have the suspension reduced. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/24/marshall-to-miss-only-one-game/

that's a great website. great links to stories in each city, and really good analysis.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »

that's good news. i had read over the weekend that the Broncos were sending a lawyer and hoping to have the suspension reduced. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/24/marshall-to-miss-only-one-game/

that's a great website. great links to stories in each city, and really good analysis.

Sandman, I recently found that site as well.  Good shit.  I'd have had Marshall, but he was snagged right b4 I could get him.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »

League ID 18793
Password axlrose

Have you guys ever played Survival Football?

Its fun as hell

Basically you have to pick one winner every week to stay alive. If the team you chooses loses, you are elminated. Last man standing wins.

Anyone want to join?

its at yahoo

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 03:00:29 AM »

I just had my draft for my first ever league. Anyone care to rate how I did?

QBs:

Donovan McNabb, PHI (2nd Round)
Derek Anderson, CLE (7th round)

RBs:

Steven Jackson, STL (1st round)
Selvin Young, DEN (5th round)
DeAngelo Williams, CAR (10th round)
Fred Taylor, JAX (13th round)
Steve Slaton, HOU (15th round)

WRs:

Anquan Bolden, ARZ (3rd round)
Greg Jennings, GB (6th round)
Patrick Crayton, DAL (8th round)
Brandon Stokely, DEN (11th round)
Devin Hester, CHI (14th round)

TEs

Jeremy Shockey, NO (4th round)
Kevin Boss, NYG (16th round)

K

Mason Crosby, GB (12th round)

D/ST

New England, (9th round

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »

That team looks very solid to me.  How many teams in the league?  Solid group of RB's.  WR's are good if you only need to start 2, Crayton's decent but I don't know if I'd like to start him every week (if you needed to start 3).  Looks like you made some real good late round picks (Slaton, F. Taylor, Boss, Hester).  All worthy of flyers.  Don't know as though I would've taken 2 top 10 QB's though (again depending on how many teams in the league).  But I guess McNabb hasn't made it through a full season since the Clinton administration so I guess it's a good safety net.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:48:36 AM by faldor » Logged

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2008, 03:33:55 PM »

12 teams in the league. We start 2 wideouts, two RBs, and one flex player.

Made me laugh at the draft yesterday when someone took kevin curtis and rudi johnson.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »

Why did u take D McNabb in the 2nd round?

U could've had him like round 7 or something.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 07:25:58 AM »

Because I wanted a QB second, an by the time my 2nd pick came up Romo, Brees, Manning, Brady, were all taken. Most of the research I did had McNabb as the next guy to take, and if he wasnt, it was close.

Plus, he is healthy finally, and should score a lot. and if he bombs I have Anderson, who should have never fallen so far as to be my second QB pick.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »

Because I wanted a QB second, an by the time my 2nd pick came up Romo, Brees, Manning, Brady, were all taken. Most of the research I did had McNabb as the next guy to take, and if he wasnt, it was close.

Plus, he is healthy finally, and should score a lot. and if he bombs I have Anderson, who should have never fallen so far as to be my second QB pick.

I look at it this way GunnerOne84, had you taken Derek Anderson in the 2nd round (like I've seen him in other drafts) it's like you stole McNabb in the 7th. Smiley  Even though I've got him in our HTGTH league, I'm not high on Shockey in the 4th round.
I really like your qb's and S Jax will be a stud for a resurgent Rams team...give him some time to get back into tip-top shape and he'll be awesome.  Just curious, where did you get S Jax in the 1st round?

btw, Jennings was a steal too.  Nice work and good luck.   beer

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »

Just pointing out, u could've still got McNabb round 5 or 6 and took another top notch RB in round 2.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »

I look at it this way GunnerOne84, had you taken Derek Anderson in the 2nd round (like I've seen him in other drafts) it's like you stole McNabb in the 7th. Smiley  Even though I've got him in our HTGTH league, I'm not high on Shockey in the 4th round.
I really like your qb's and S Jax will be a stud for a resurgent Rams team...give him some time to get back into tip-top shape and he'll be awesome.  Just curious, where did you get S Jax in the 1st round?

btw, Jennings was a steal too.  Nice work and good luck.   beer

I got S Jax 7th overall.

I had other TEs rated higher than Shockey, and wasn't planning on grabbing one so high, but for some reason people went on a run in the late 3rd and early 4th on them so I had to grab one, and he was my highest rated left.

I think he will have a pretty decent year now that he's in NO.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »

I think Shockey will put up the best numbers of his career this year. Antonio Gates's had his best years when Brees was in San Diego. Shockey's very talented, and now he's in a potent offense with one of the best QBs in the NFL. Unless he gets injured or something, he'll be a top five TE this year; perhaps even top three.

Here Today . . .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: