Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:51:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227824 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Best Buy exclusive
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Buy exclusive  (Read 551835 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #2660 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »

Maybe Best Buy should of devoted atleast 2 pages of their ad to Chinese Democracy.  It's still a exclusive right Huh funny was in my local best buy the other night and the stand is down and you half to go to the rock section to find it.  You know how many people visit the CD section now  rofl

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #2661 on: January 18, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

Chinese Democracy is one of the "Favorites Available Now" featured in this week's BestBuy flyer.

They also used Axl's pic to hawk iPods.

Nice! That kind of promotion never hurts things!  ok

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #2662 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »

Maybe Best Buy should of devoted atleast 2 pages of their ad to Chinese Democracy.  It's still a exclusive right Huh funny was in my local best buy the other night and the stand is down and you half to go to the rock section to find it.  You know how many people visit the CD section now  rofl

When it first came out, I think Axl and CD were featured on at least 3 pages.

I'll have to go acquire this week's flyer, for collection purposes.
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #2663 on: January 19, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »

i went to best buy the other day and they had five or six copies sitting right next to the register.  looks like they're expecting it to be a good impulse buy!  i asked the girl at the register a lot of questions about how well it was selling and what people thought and what her favorite song on the album was, but she was really clueless.  probably drugged or something.  she didn't have a clue about the album.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2664 on: December 26, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »

After all these years is this album still a Best Buy exclusive..

I do not live in the USA, thank god..  But if you wanted to by this album there, would you still have to go to Best Buy.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2665 on: December 26, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »

I don't live there either, but I believe there's no exclusive anymore.

You can find it at amazon now. At the time of the release it could only be bought second hand there.

I seem to recall that there was done a second pressing of the CD a couple of years ago, which would be distributed to all outlets.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2666 on: December 26, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »

I wonder looking back, what would be the thoughts from the band and the record label regarding this deal.

On one hand they sold 1.5 million copies...

On the other hand, it was one of the worst marketed deals ever and really hampered the potential of greater sales of the album
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2667 on: December 26, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »

A lot of things should have been done differently regarding that release imo.

For starters, they released the whole album for free on Myspace just a couple of days before the release date. It received record breaking streaming numbers, but I think that hurt the sales a considerate amount.

The label was probably happy with the security they got with the Best Buy deal. The management, as we know, didn't do much past releasing the album. Azoff wasn't on board any more when the tour started, and frankly we heard little from that camp during the release period.

Axl, for whatever reason, chose not to participate in any major marketing. The whole thing seemed like a mess looking back at it now.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2668 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »

A lot of things should have been done differently regarding that release imo.

For starters, they released the whole album for free on Myspace just a couple of days before the release date. It received record breaking streaming numbers, but I think that hurt the sales a considerate amount.

The label was probably happy with the security they got with the Best Buy deal. The management, as we know, didn't do much past releasing the album. Azoff wasn't on board any more when the tour started, and frankly we heard little from that camp during the release period.

Axl, for whatever reason, chose not to participate in any major marketing. The whole thing seemed like a mess looking back at it now.

Yes it was like once everyone made money off the best buy deal, everyone stopped working to sell the record.  It seems after the deal was made, there was little effort put into any of it.  Even by best buy..

I wonder what best buy thinks of this deal looking back..

Was this the last exclusive album ever to be released this way..   In a way it sort of killed the exclusive market
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2669 on: December 26, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »

Was this the last exclusive album ever to be released this way..   In a way it sort of killed the exclusive market

Actually not sure. Browsing through their site, they have a lot of exclusive singles and albums with bonus tracks.

The market itself isn't really what it was even 5 years ago. Streaming has come a long way, and most people pay for the music that way now.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2670 on: December 26, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

I think the bands new blue ray, may have been a best buy exclusive as well...  The one with the tshirt, etc...   If so, mb looking back best buy was happy with the deal they made for CD and would do it again...   hahahaa
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2671 on: December 26, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »

No the AFD bundle was available everywhere I think.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2672 on: December 28, 2014, 02:02:38 AM »

No the AFD bundle was available everywhere I think.

Well you think...  hahah, I don't know

Still wonder if best buy would do this deal all over again
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2673 on: December 28, 2014, 03:07:17 AM »

I do not live in the USA, thank god.. 

Another gratuitous USA remark.

8. Best Buy

Not the best idea. When MusicRadar dropped in during the first on-sale date, there seemed to be little to no interest in the album. And aside from one poster and a small display, there was no sense that an 'event' was taking place. The wrong retail outlet? Perhaps. The Eagles and AC/DC apparently did their research, which showed that their fans shopped at Wal-Mart stores. Where did it come up in market analysis that Best Buy shoppers were Guns N' Roses fans?

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/8-reasons-why-chinese-democracy-stiffed-185604

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #2674 on: December 28, 2014, 03:10:06 AM »

I do not live in the USA, thank god.. 

Another gratuitous USA remark.

8. Best Buy

Not the best idea. When MusicRadar dropped in during the first on-sale date, there seemed to be little to no interest in the album. And aside from one poster and a small display, there was no sense that an 'event' was taking place. The wrong retail outlet? Perhaps. The Eagles and AC/DC apparently did their research, which showed that their fans shopped at Wal-Mart stores. Where did it come up in market analysis that Best Buy shoppers were Guns N' Roses fans?

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/8-reasons-why-chinese-democracy-stiffed-185604

That's a good read thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: