Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:02:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The 2008/2009 NBA season thread
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2008/2009 NBA season thread  (Read 159520 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #900 on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:07 PM »

My Mavs signed Drew Gooden

I love the moves we have made on the offseason

projected starting lineup:

Last year                   This year:

Kidd                            Kidd
Wright                         Howard
Howard                       Marion
Dirk                              Dirk
Damp                           Gooden

So we have upgraded big time at 2 positions. Gooden is a double double guy when he gets the minutes and also gives us a low post presence we have never had.

A Healthy Josh Howard and now Shawn Marion running the break with Kidd...... that is scary

when we go small our lineup could be

PG Kidd
SG Terry
SF Howard
PF Marion
C Dirk

That is a damn good lineup

if LA lose Odom.............. watch out

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #901 on: July 30, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »

Source: Odom agrees to help Lakers defend their crown.... Dallas just got weaker....

looks like my tweet to LO made him decide on which team to stay with  ok
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #902 on: July 30, 2009, 11:58:55 PM »

is this you D on yahoo?

44. Posted by HELP WANTED! Tue Jul 28 10:55am EDT

Wow! We are starting to look like contenders.

Gooden Dampier Hollins?
Dirk T. Thomas Singleton?
Marion Ross Buckner?
Howard Terry Carroll?
Kidd Barea Beaubois

Should be a very dangerous team, if everyone stays healthy.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #903 on: August 01, 2009, 03:22:22 AM »

Knicks may take Allen Iverson over Ramon Sessions

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:30 am EDT

The Milwaukee Bucks may be willing to let its young restricted free agent point guard, Ramon Sessions(notes), go in order to have enough cash to afford forward Hakim Warrick(notes). New York Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni apparently is very interested in signing Sessions but there may be a problem: Allen Iverson(notes).

Knicks president Donnie Walsh apparently met with Iverson's agent a few weeks ago and liked what he heard: the former superstar wants to salvage his career and would sign a mid-level deal (only $5.85 million!) for one season. The Knicks are still apparently holding out hope that it can have enough open salary-cap space next summer to lure one of the big-name free agents: LeBron James(notes), Chris Bosh(notes), Dwyane Wade(notes), etc.

The 23-year-old Sessions, meanwhile, wants a multiyear deal. So if the Knicks sign Sessions, it could be the first time Walsh publicly shows that LeBron may be out of the team's reach next summer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Knicks-may-take-Allen-Iverson-over-Ramon-Session?urn=nba,180054

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #904 on: August 01, 2009, 05:33:51 AM »

AI in D'antoni's system is a perfect fit.

I kind of wish Dallas would've thrown their mid level at him.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #905 on: August 01, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »

I'm just glad it ain't Memphis. As much as I love AI, I don't think I could have brought myself to wear something as hideous as a Grizzlies jersey hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #906 on: August 02, 2009, 04:08:25 AM »

I'm just glad it ain't Memphis. As much as I love AI, I don't think I could have brought myself to wear something as hideous as a Grizzlies jersey hihi

hopefully when the season starts we can see you wearing a Los Angeles Clippers Jersey   Tongue
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #907 on: August 02, 2009, 04:00:27 PM »

hopefully when the season starts we can see you wearing a Los Angeles Clippers Jersey   Tongue

Stop it with your elitist bullshit!  rant
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #908 on: August 14, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »

Why Lebron James is the most overrated player in all of sports

Lebron James is currently the SECOND best player in all of basketball right now. He is a great talent, with a massive physique that is well ahead of our time. His combination of speed and strength have never been seen before in this league. However, he is overrated, I have heard comments from fans claiming that Lebron will easily be the "greatest of all time" and "he is easily the best player in today's game. In this thread, I will address these claims by all Lebron fans, and at the same time show why he is really overrated.

1. "Lebron James is on pace to shatter all of kobe's "youngest to do" records".

Wow, great claim there fans. I guess it is simple when you get drafted to the worst team in the league, and they trade away their best current player at the time who was ricky davis, to make it "Lebron's team" sure helps his cause when it comes to statistics. Now with that being said, as many you of should be well aware of, when you are drafted to a team with three other all stars, including one in your own position, how can you become an impact player? Not to mention back in 96, no perimeter player has ever been drafted straight out of high school. Now imagine kobe bryant with all his amazing scoring ability on a team like cleveland his rookie year? How many points do you think he would have averaged with that team? And how how much do you want to bet it would easily be a lot more than Lebron's 18.8 ppg. So really, drop the claim that lebron is better because he will pass kobe's youngest ever.. Bryant did all this with all those talented teammates, including his years when he shared the ball with O'neal. If he didn't have O'neal and was in Lebrons situation, he would arguably have the highest ppg average ever. And Lebron wouldn't even come close....sorry

2. Lebron winning rookie of the year

Please explain to me how a player with better scoring and rebounding numbers who led his team to the playoffs in the western conference(Carmelo Anthony) loses this award to a player who wasn't so impressive statistically, even though they traded away their whole roster just to suite Lebron's game, and doesn't even come close to the playoffs in the eastern conference? Talk about a media bias.

3. Lebron gets away with more travels than any player in league history

Recently this past year, they have been catching on to Lebron's traveling, but it is still not called enough.

Look at this play for example, and tell me how this is not a travel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_mdDBjpNME

Wizards fans are still bitter over this play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH73R9GIbXg&NR=1

just another example of how much he travels.

And yes I have heard his fans retaliate and say "everyone travels" yes that is true, it happens at times, but not to the extent of this player. And I actually heard a league source claim the referees are investigating this whole topic in large part to Lebron James. Looks like he better get his game together, and stop with the "crab" dribbles.

4. "Lebron will be better than Michael Jordan"

This has to be my favorite, his dumb fans claiming he will be better than the GOAT, when he has not done anything superb in his career, for the exception of filling the stat sheet. Same as Allen Iverson really...
MJ is the greatest of all time, had he not retired twice he probably would have had 8-10 titles. And would have put every record out of reach for anyone. MJ was a much better scorer, defender, lethal clutch player, and had a killer instinct that Lebron will never have. You would never see MJ high five the opposing teams and laugh while on the court, he was determined to punish his opponents, something Lebron won't ever do.

5. "In the end, Lebron's team cost him a Championship"

This is another one of my favorites. All year long the media would not shut up about how "lebron finally had pieces in place" or "this team loves one another, they fight for one another" or "this is by far the best team in basketball" or "this team is on a mission" or " this team is a lock to win the championship" with all that bs being said during the regular season and the early part of the playoffs, you would think that the cavs team as a whole should be blamed for this, but no, for some reason the fans blame Lebron's teammates for the loss to the orlando magic. When it reality, Lebron was just as responsible, if not more. He completely went away from the game plan, and resorted back to his old ways where it was everyone watching lebron drive to the basket. He diminished his role players, and took it upon himself to try and win the series. Something kobe gets blamed for more than anybody, so now it's Lebron's turn to hear it. And if any of you paid attention closely to the series, you would notice Lebron missed many of his defensive assignments. Sorry, I refuse to believe a team that was considered so great in the regular season, can just buckle down when it mattered most, and the star player shouldn't get any blame. He deserves just as much if not even more. And another thing fans, while Lebron's team was down in that series, all lebron could think about was upstaging kobe. And don't tell me he doesn't do that, Madison sq garden was obvious what Lebron was trying to do. And he still wasn't near as impressive as kobe. 61 points in 36 min. hahahahahahah thats more than Lebron's career high where he played 44 min.

6. "According to 82games.com, Lebron is the most clutch player in the league"

Now to some extent this is true, in the last 5 min, Lebron was 2nd in scoring to kobe and averaged more assists. So I will give him his props there. But there was another stat that caught my eye, Lebron averages 4.8 turnovers in the last 5 min of a ball game. That is a horrific stat, that pretty much means 1 turnover per min. Five extra possessions for the opposing team. A potential of a 10-15 pt swing. HOW IS THAT CLUTCH? Lets not forget all his airballs behind the free throw line, and all his bad decisions late in games. He has taken a few steps to become better, but is still not at the level of Kobe, Wade, Allen, and anthony. Oh yeah, and what happened to him in game 6 at orlando? When it mattered most, the King didn't produce? You all always blame kobe for his game 6 performance against the celtics, so hear some of your own criticism now.....

ps 82games.com, even though some of it favors kobe, is a complete bs source, that won't even tell the whole tale of the story. And Lebron is not more clutch than Kobe, Kobe actually has more game winners than the goat himself.

7. "Lebron being a sore loser"

What a cocky individual to still defend his decision to not shake hands with players after a series. That is almost as classless as what the pistons team did when they got beat by the bulls. This will hurt his reputation a bit. And I don't even want to get into the confiscated tapes from Nike. Great message you send to your fans Lebron, to be disrespectful and classless after games.

8. The similarities between Lebron James and Allen Iverson.

Don't get me wrong, both are great great players, but the way both players use their role players are so similar it's scary. Lebron and Iverson, both diminish their role players. both players need the ball in their hands at all times to be effective, they cannot play with another player who has the ball in his hands more. In Lebron's case, it was Larry Hughes. He was an all star caliber player with Washington, and came to the cavs only to see his role diminished, because Lebron wants the ball in his hands all the time. Now he does create open shots for them, but he never allows his teammates to create their own shot and gain their own confidence. Another similarity is defense. BOth players have incredible defensive stats, but both are actually liabilities when it comes to being on the ball defenders. Lebron is still a bad on the ball defender. The orlando series really showed it. He missed so many defensive assignments, which kept leading to open three's for the magic. Just another similarity he has with Iverson.Which is why, Lebron probably won't ever win a championship, and will end up being like another Allen Iverson. A great player with great stats, but no rings.

This guy has not even won a championship yet, and his fans are claiming he will be the greatest ever? Even Iverson had more impressive stats during his prime than James. He is a great player who will without question become a hall of famer, but his overall game will not last long in this game. His jump shot is still suspect. And his playing style will evantually lead to injury. So there we have it fans, I am in a hurry so I really couldn't take my time on this like I would have wanted, but you all understand the picture. He is a great great player, but overrated. His fans use his age as an excuse for not winning a championship. Well at 24 kobe had three rings, and wade had one ring. And with all these talented teams and players like durant on the rise, Lebron better win one soon. Or he will be looked at like another Allen Iverson. Lets the debates rage...

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700041367

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #909 on: August 14, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »

I love the Lebron hate

those people are so full of shit. I think they are nervous because Jordan's precious legacy may actually be challenged

Jordan is the GOAT but let's be real. He didn't win shit till Magic,Bird and the Pistons got old and he won against a very watered down NBA.

Even putting Carmelo in the same sentence as Lebron is madness.

Bron averaged damn near 40-8-8 and he has no allstars on his team. Mo Williams sort of but it took like 45 guys getting injured.

Right now Lebron is the best player in the game, yes better than Kobe.

U give Lebron  Gasol,Odom,Bynum and now Artest, and I guarantee he'd win a ring.

Kobe is the better on ball defender, but Lebron is a better passer,rebounder,driver of the basketball. Kobe is the better jump shooter.

Lebron is faster, more athletic and he does make his teammates better.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #910 on: August 14, 2009, 12:43:19 PM »

Barkley's Suns weren't watered down.
Payton and Kemp's Sonics were no pushovers.
Stockton and Malone?  I think they were pretty damn good too.
Magic was still in his prime when the Bulls beat him in 1991.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #911 on: August 14, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »

Barkley's Suns weren't that great. Didn't someone take them to 5 in the first round?

U had KJ, Majerle and Ainge were good but not amazing

Sonics the same, Outside of Kemp/Payton they didn't have much of anything else. Detlef was good but still

Magic was still in his prime but the rest of his team sure weren't. No Kareem etc

Jordan is the GOAT but he had a damn good team around him. They were a phantom call away from winning a title possibly without him.

Remember Kobe and how shitty LA were when they had no team around him right after the Shaq trade?

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #912 on: August 14, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »

Barkley's Suns weren't that great. Didn't someone take them to 5 in the first round?

Yeah, and the Bahhh-stuhn Celtics went to 7 in the first two rounds in 2008.

Sonics the same, Outside of Kemp/Payton they didn't have much of anything else. Detlef was good but still

Sam Perkins baby.  Smoothest 3pt stroke in the history of the game.  Hersey Hawkins...a team loaded with stars.

Magic was still in his prime but the rest of his team sure weren't. No Kareem etc

No Kareem, but you had the Coop, Worthy, Byron Scott, a YOUNGER Sam Perkins, Floppy Divac...

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #913 on: August 15, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »

I get to do something that I wasn't able to do when I was younger.

I'm going to see the Lakers play at The Forum.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #914 on: August 16, 2009, 02:42:12 AM »

Remember Kobe and how shitty LA were when they had no team around him right after the Shaq trade?

The first year after that trade, the Lakers were hampered by injuries to Kobe AND Lamar. The next year Kobe carried that team to the playoffs and were 1 rebound away from eliminating the best team in the League. 

Since its the off-season, it looks like its time for the MJ debate again.  Jordan is no GOAT.  He is the greatest when the most people watched.  Or you can say "the greatest when all the current sportswriters were growing up"  Totally manufactured by the NBA, and you said it yourself, played against a watered down League.  Magic one 5 titles against real competition, and played for a championship 75% of his career.  He could play great at every position. So he gets my vote as the GOAT.

And now to LeBron.  Its funny how the "next Jordan" has to wait for the "current Kobe" to stop winning before he can take his self proclaimed crown.  Kobe has 4 rings because he knows how to win a championship. LeBron has NONE because he is waiting for it to be handed to him. Just like his title of "King" was.
  D, you throw up all of LeBrons stats to say how much better he is, but then blame the fact that he has no one else as the reason he didnt win the title.  Do you not see that the fact that he has no one else is the REASON he puts up those stats?  I cant wait to see the Shaq thing play out. I have no idea how thats gonna go.
   LeBron is just like coach Larry Brown.  If he wins, its because of him, if he loses, its because of them. 
As I said before, his teammates were just fine in the regular season and the start of the playoffs, and LeBron expected to coast into the finals. Once HE met adversity, HE lost.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #915 on: August 16, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »

Did u watch the Cleveland games though?

Lebron set his teammates up with so many open looks it was ridiculous and they couldnt knock down anything. How can anyone sit here and say Lebron had any kind of team around him.

there is a difference in regular season players and playoff players. Lebron doesn't have many playoff caliber players that can step their games up.

I also remember Kobe not taking a shot in game 7 against PHoenix and totally quitting on his team. Lebron would never do that.

Also, don't forget, Cle had NOBODY to guard Dwight Howard. How is that Lebron's fault? Once again if he had Pau,Bynum and Odom Cle would win 70 games in the East last year. LA also probably shouldn't have won that title if Stan Van Genius takes Jameer Nelson off the floor or simply fouls and Courtney Lee doesn't miss a bunny

U take Kobe off LA and replace him with nobody and LA still have  a shot at the 8th seed. U take Lebron off Cleveland and they don't win 20 games.

I love Magic Johnson but let's be real, he had Kareem,James worthy, Byron Scott, Cooper........ He played with a shit ton of talent his entire career. He is one of my favorite players ever and top 5 but he wasn't Michael Jordan.

Jordan wasn't created by the league either.

Jordan is the GOAT. Just check his stats and his dominance and let's be honest, outside of Scottie Pippen, he didn't  have much his entire career on his team. Jordan shot 50 percent from the field a lot of seasons and what separates Jordan was his defense. He was ALL NBA First team Defense I don't know how many years and that is unheard of for a 30ppg scorer to do it as consistent as he did.

He also never played with a good PG or a good Center his entire career which makes that even more impressive.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #916 on: August 16, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »

Look at the progress Cleveland has made each year since Lebron came to the team.  You think it's their supporting cast that's changed so much that pushed them from a lottery team to the NBA finals?  The Olympic team also called Lebron a leader on the floor, barking out orders and running the show.  When you have the best players in the world giving you those props en route to a Gold medal, you're not "overrated".

It's true, Lebron hasn't won a championship.  He's also 24 years old and has shown improvement every single year he's been in the league.  I can't imagine being a basektball fan and not enjoying what Lebron is doing out there... if anything the media hype (or over-hyping) almost takes away from his accomplishments because it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of some people.  Can't wait to see what will happen with Shaq.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #917 on: August 17, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »

But there was another stat that caught my eye, Lebron averages 4.8 turnovers in the last 5 min of a ball game. That is a horrific stat, that pretty much means 1 turnover per min.

That is impossible.  He averaged 2.9 turnovers per game last season; 3.26 for his career.  In all likellihood the stat the writer is referring to meant his turnover rate over the last 5 minutes of a game is 4.8 per 48 minutes, which, while not good, is not 1 turnover a minute which would make him the probably the worst player in the NBA.  I don't think I've ever seen any player in my life turn the ball over 5 times in the last 5 minutes.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #918 on: August 19, 2009, 03:18:45 PM »

I love the Lebron hate

those people are so full of shit. I think they are nervous because Jordan's precious legacy may actually be challenged

Jordan is the GOAT but let's be real. He didn't win shit till Magic,Bird and the Pistons got old and he won against a very watered down NBA.

D, you are crazy man.  The NBA in the 90's is superior to today's NBA in every possible way.  You do watch the NBA don't you?
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #919 on: August 20, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »

Iverson Motivated: Allen Iverson has been training like a mad man, according to those near his situation. Sources say he's been as active this off-season as he's been in years and really seems motivated to prove his detractors wrong. Iverson has recently launched a Twitter page and says he will update it regularly. In a recent post Iverson explained his thought process coming into the season:

"I have heard all of the doubters, but they should know that I will not be broken and I will remain true to my fans." explained Iverson. "I spoke with my manager the other day and told him that I am again a student of the game. I am studying video and breaking down film. I want to be the best that I can be. One doesn't plan to fail, they fail to plan. I am planning for my comeback."

"If you think that I am just going away-Think again! I am getting ready for the NBA season. Waiting for the call. Charlotte, Miami, NY."
League sources believe that of the teams still interested in Iverson Charlotte would be the most likely landing spot for Iverson. The sources said the reason Iverson remains unsigned is partly because of his expectation to receive the full Mid-Level exception ($5.9 million), something he may have to come off of to get a deal.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13623

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: