Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Guitar Strings
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar Strings  (Read 6461 times)
billsguy
Rocker

« on: June 16, 2003, 11:36:12 AM »

While we are talking about equipment, I was just wondering if theres much difference in strings.  I'm learning guitar and need to pick up some for both my acoustic and my electric.  Any favorites?  On the electric I'm playing gnr style stuff, and the acoustic more folk music.

Mike

Mike
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 01:00:30 PM »

I guess it really just eventually comes down to personal preference, but a good set of medium guage steel acoustic strings from any manufacturer do the job. I tend to go for Martin strings cos they are relatively cheap, otherwise a set of Dean Markley strings if I'm feeling rich. I'm sure someone else will have something to add to this...

As for electric strings, again it all comes down to personal preference. I use Ernie Ball super slinky (guage 9-42). I use thee light strings because I'm a very bendy guitarist, and I like the strings to be as flexible as possible. The disadvantage here is that you are compromising the "fullness", so to speak, of the sound. A richer, thicker sound can be obtained by using heavier strings.

If you intend to detune your guitar in any way, I would advise against using very light guage strings as the thing will never stay in tune.

One last thing to remember is to change the strings regularly if you play often. If, like me, you play the guitar for 1-2 hours each day, it is recommended that you change the strings at least every couple of weeks, it's amazing how much difference is made in the sound from your guitar with a fresh set of strings. Most professional rock bands generally change the strings on the main performance guitars after every show, or every couple of shows at least.

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 01:53:12 PM »

I find using electric strings on an acoustic sounds awesome, but that's just personal preference. I like to use Hybrid Slinkies (9-46)
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 04:46:08 PM »

Martin Phosphor Bronze SP Custom Light (thats a mouthful) for acoustic, and Ernie Ball 11's for electric.  I use heavy ones on my electric cos I always found that the low strings were to thin when riffing and the like...plus, they sound better.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
darkmonth
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 12:02:31 PM »

the way it works is this.  A fatter string will give you more tone and sustain.  Simple fact.  I use 11's, because I like a fucking fatt ass sound.

Only issue is that for a beginner, putting 11's on is a really bad idea.  The restriction it puts on your fingers if you are new to playing is a lot.  The strings are so much harder to bend.  Now, when you have been playing a while, this isnt an issue.  I dont have a problem with bending the strings up three or four notes worth (handy on one particular note in the It's So Easy solo).  But if you are a beginner, start on 9's or 10's.  Ernie Ball do the Slinky set.  If you get Regular Slinky, they are 10's.  Super Slinky are 9's.  As I mentioned, I use 11's, which are called Power Slinky.  Jeez... just sounds better dont it?!

Cheers
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 06:14:00 PM »

much harder to bend.  Now, when you have been playing a while, this isnt an issue.  I dont have a problem with bending the strings up three or four notes worth (handy on one particular note in the It's So Easy solo).
You do mean four half steps right, as in two whole notes, not four notes, right?  [nervous]

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 01:45:51 AM »

doodie, and whoever else that knows about this stuff, whats your opinion on fender super bullets? they come standard on strats (i think all of them) and i dont think they're all that bad, but i havent tried any other strings so i cant really judge it. are they any good?
darkmonth
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 10:00:48 AM »

much harder to bend.  Now, when you have been playing a while, this isnt an issue.  I dont have a problem with bending the strings up three or four notes worth (handy on one particular note in the It's So Easy solo).
You do mean four half steps right, as in two whole notes, not four notes, right?  [nervous]

yeah, but as it happens, I am bending it 5 semitones just to make sure... and that I believe is what I meant.  I was just spurining off figures.  I meant around about that figure.

Cheers for the correction. lol

AxlsPiano:  String wise, I use Ernie Ball because I do.  Thats all.  I always have.  It's like the way.  But sure, I havent had a problem using other strings occasionally and I have used the Fender ones.  No problems there.  As it happens, the guitar shop didnt have Ernie's Power Slinky so I bought two packs of D'Addario XL strings 0.11-0.49s and they are cool too.  Don't worry too much about strings.  You will find what suits you and as you say, you have never had a problem with them so far!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 10:03:20 AM by Dave Clements » Logged
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 05:11:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice
I bought D'Addario XL .9-.42s and it they feel exactly the same as Fender Super Bullets, but i think the fender ones cost less. So ill just stick with fenders i suppose.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 05:11:27 PM by AxlsPiano » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 08:08:01 AM »

i use either ernie ball hybrid slinky's or ghs boomers

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
So Relax
Opening Act

Have another Beer!!

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 10:12:56 AM »

I use heavy everything it sounds better - stronger, more pure.  On acoustics I use Daddario 12's and electrics ernie ball 11s.  I use 2mm picks as well to top the sound off.  
Jesse James
Rocker

tss tss tss tss gnnnnnn!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 05:33:36 AM »

Well choosin a certain gauge of strins depends on what u want to play. For that full warm tone I think slash uses ernie ball 11s dropped down a semitone. I use ernie ball 10s cause I play most of the time in standard tuning. I play blues and hard rock with lots of bends n stuff so I want a full tone for my epiphone les paul without havin to abuse my fingers.Also u should know that strats because of their longer neck are more difficult to make bends in comparrison to a les paul(bigger string tension the strat).The quality of the guitar is also important. A cheap instrument may not be able to play right with a thicker set of strings (11s). If u r a begginer I would suggest a set of ernie ball 9s or jhs boomers 9s. Those are easy to bend. Since u grow some strength on your fingers change to 10s.The difference is "hearable"...

Jesse James
Rocker

tss tss tss tss gnnnnnn!!!

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2003, 05:35:14 AM »

the above is about electric guitars

Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2003, 11:48:19 AM »

Slash uses 11 guage Ernies
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 02:33:42 PM »

Seeing as I recently changed the strinds I was using I thougt I'd update this thread.

AS you may know, setting up my acoustic neck requires lots of tuning and detuning the strings, and the Martin strings used to break after a few times doing this.  So I put on some D'addario's a while ago and was setting up the neck after a refret and they D'addario's didn't break, and didn't lose their tuning at all.  They also sounded kinda deeper or something...hard to describe.

Anyway, after deciding D'addario's are better than Martin's I got some for my electric too, and I'm sticking with them.  They sound better and last longer than Ernie Ball's.  Plus they come in a sealed pack, so you can store them for ages, and they won't go dull, even in moist air.

On top of that, they do electric sets with wound G's which I'll be buying some packs of next time I stock up on strings.

And, on top of all that, Buzzy Feiten recommends D'addario, so you know they're the best.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:37:43 PM by Miz » Logged

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 08:16:14 PM »

Ernie Ball Super Slinky ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »

Ernie Ball Super Slinky ok

Me too!!
0.11!!

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: