Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 12:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228053 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Why Chinese Democracy will be the first complete Guns album and better than AFD
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Chinese Democracy will be the first complete Guns album and better than AFD  (Read 10437 times)
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« on: October 31, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

We are now entering November 2008, the month most of us have been waiting for for more than a decade: The month where Chinese Democracy is finally released! Feels unreal, doesn't it? If it feels unreal for you, imagine what it must feel like for Axl, who's been toiling and labouring over this thing on a daily basis practically since the early 90's. Think of what you have done since 1991, and you will start to get only some of the picture of the work that has been put down in this album. That being said, I expect Chinese Democracy to be the first, or should i say most, complete Guns album ever. I do consider Appetite for Destruction to be a very complete album, and an outstanding one at that, but Chinese Democracy will be something more. Here is why.

It's no secret that Axl was always the visionary of Guns N' Roses. He was the force behind it all, the tortured soul who penned down emotions ranging from everything from desperate anger to broken hearts and love, all in a brilliant and raw way. The rest of the group were no doubt quite talented, but Axl was the man that defined Guns N' Roses. November Rain, Estranged, Coma... All the visionary, epic songs came from Axl. He was raw rock n' roll as well as a visionary epic songwriter. Axl has publically (I believe it was in the Del James interview launching the 2002 tour) that he had to toil and struggle just to get Slash and the rest of the guys from the old band to go along with songs such as Sweet Child O' Mind, the song that made Guns overnight stars and which is still one of rock's greatest classics today. The misguided macho attitude of the rest of the band kept Axl from reaching his full potential as a song writer. The I-don't-give-a-fuck-attitude of Guns N' Roses was confused with laziness, and Axl had to work his ass off just to get the old band to work on the follow-up songs to Use Your Illusion (stated in the same interview). Axl was the sole driving force behind Guns at the time, and when you see the lack of quality in material from the old members since then, it's all starting to make even more sense.

Another thing Axl stated in that interview is that he gave into a lot of both internal and external pressure with Guns to release the Illusion albums, and that he has no intention of letting that happen again. Axl has now worked on Chinese Democracy for 14 years, with hardworking, talented musicians around him and with full creative freedom and all the time in the world. Imagine the result. Nothing short of brilliant. While other artists and bands have released album after album with no real impact, Axl has focused his genius on making the first complete Guns N' Roses record since 1987.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:11:27 PM by The Shackler » Logged

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »

just a lil patience yeaaaaaaaaa just a lil patience ............excellent post but lets wait 3 weeks...im ready to explode too

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

Hmm, well said. I can agree with that.

Axl is God.
Olorin
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »

I disagree with how you describe the Illusions, Axl was a big part in how they turned out, but a lot the songs were old GN'R songs from the Appetite period. And noone can deny that Slash is all over those records, he even filled in for Izzy in some of the rythem guitars.

Coma was a Slash and Axl monster, I think Coma was Slash last great moment. Estranged was Axl's baby off the set, plus everyone knows how he felt about November Rain, that was Axls also.
Izzy played his part with 14 years, DTJ, Dust N Bones, plus his role in bigger songs. Its pointless to continue, Axl played his part and was the driving force in some of the epics, but Use Your Illusion was still a great Guns N'Roses record, not an Axl Rose record.

I always thought that Use Your Illusions were a great testemant to how talented those guys were, that they could pull all of that together, when they were "phoning it in". From all accounts they were not at cohesive unit by that period.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:44:10 PM by Olorin » Logged
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »

you could of saved all that writing and put it all in one sentence,

Axl is amasing and has never done anything wrong, Slash,Duff,Izzy n Steven held him back and contributed nothing!

your very mistaking!!!!

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:56:07 PM »

you could of saved all that writing and put it all in one sentence,

Axl is amasing and has never done anything wrong, Slash,Duff,Izzy n Steven held him back and contributed nothing!

your very mistaking!!!!

You're very mistaken. He didn't say that.

He said Axl was the one with the vision.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Mr Rage
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:04:39 PM »

then how did the band hold him back, they recorded everything he wanted the way he wanted it?

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:06:42 PM »

I've always felt that Slash's very underwhelming post-Guns N' Roses career was a clear indication that it was Axl that got the best out of him on the Appetite and Illusion records.

The people who cry that GN'R aren't the same without Slash can listen to a Snakepit or Velvet Revolver album, and can easily conclude that Slash is simply mailing it in these days.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
Mr Rage
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »

some people could argue that CD single lacks the grit n soul of slash's guitar playing.

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:10:38 PM »

then how did the band hold him back, they recorded everything he wanted the way he wanted it?

Because they were either drunk, high, or both?

Izzy got out because he wanted to clean himself up and didn't want to be around the other guys who were still using drugs. My guess is thst Axl never forgave them for Izzy's departure.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »

On the subject of Slash Axl commented:

?Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else. There?d still be some chemistry and some synergy happening and whatever dynamics anyone else could bring in to the project. It seemed to me that anytime we got close to something that would work, it wasn?t out of opinion that Slash would go ?hey it doesn?t work?, but it was nixed simply because it did work. In other words, ?Whoa, wait a minute. That actually might be successful, we can?t do that.? People like to call me paranoid. It has nothing to do with paranoia; it was to do with reality. If the material were strong enough for me to sink my teeth in then I would still be in a certain public position in regards to Guns, we?d have possibly still held a certain popularity with the public as I have previously been fortunate enough to have had. Slash and his ex-wife Renee and his security guy and closest confidant at the time, Ronnie Stalnacker could not live with that. It?s not something Slash could live with. Slash chose not to be here over control issues. Now people can say ?Well Axl, you?re after control of the band too.? You?re damn skippy. That?s right. I am the one held responsible since day one. When it comes to Guns n? Roses, I may not always get everything right but I do have a good idea about getting things from point A to point B and knowing what the job is that we have to do. Within those parameters, I give everyone as much freedom to do what they want something Slash has verified in several interviews. Had Slash stepped up and written what we captured glimpses of, it would have created an environment that was beyond Slash?s ability to control. He did not want to do that or put himself through the rigors of taking the band to that level even if he was capable of writing it. Was he capable of doing it? Absolutely 100%. I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith?s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out. I don?t know if I would have wanted to even do a world tour at the time but I wanted to put that record together and could we have done it? Yes. It?s not something I would want to approach (without Slash) because at the time there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. We still needed the collaboration of the band as a whole to write the best songs. Since none of that happened, that?s the reason why that material got scrapped. If one were to say well then why not do it now there are several reasons.1) My band, too much time, too much effort and hardship. Confidence in our material. Excitement in watching this grow and being a part of the whole experience. 2) Money. You get what you play for and nothing?s free. Can you cover the cost of this venture and its financial potential that I am just supposed to walk away from and for what? To where? I do not believe in any true effort or potential regarding most of my past relationship from the other party or parties, creatively or emotionally. Without that the money from a reunion doesn't mean much and though I'm sure the alumni is up for it for me it would be as or more lacking than it was during our attempts to work together previously. As a friend and former friend of Slash said to me in regards to working with Slash, "you can only do so many pull ups." This is my shot and you can root for me to fail all you want, but there is simply way too much put into this to cater to someone else's selfish needs and destroy peoples dreams I truly care about including my own. Not too mention that though I've fought what feels like the heart of the nature of this entire industry, my own people would probably eat me alive if I opted for a lesser course. 3) Slash has lied about nearly everything and anything to nearly everyone and anyone. It's who he is. It's what he does. Duff's support for the man though understandable in one sense in regard to his circumstances, is inexcusable, and furthers my distance from the two of them. For me Matt doesn't figure into the equation and for as much as I was a friend to him he was incapable of reciprocating and life is much better without such an obvious albatross. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from the alumni in regard to their prior performances on record or touring to support the albums. I know how I was treated and more importantly I know how they treated others during both of these things, it's not a way anyone should be forced or even asked to work. And for the record I'm referring to Slash and Matt in regards to their actions and behavior, Duff played more of a supporting role (for reasons I've never understood). For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea.?

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

GN'R 2010!!!
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »

I dissagre about the slash comments.... Why do people Bag Slash..hes an awesome guitarist...and this is the time to just enjoy the new time in guns history..Sheesh!!!! peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Mr Rage
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »

so axl had no part in izzy leaving... give me a fucking break!!!! look back in history he did just as much as the others to make him leave!

Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:19:16 AM »

so axl had no part in izzy leaving... give me a fucking break!!!! look back in history he did just as much as the others to make him leave!
Depends on what you believe, I guess!! 

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »

i won't read all that shit, but i'm pretty sure it will be the first complete GNR record and as of now it's just the best record ever, i dunno how i can say that but i just know it
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »

No no no no no no no.

Considering how the most succesfull, influental, critically acclaimned and appreciated album by Guns n' Roses was  very much a group effort, and very much " us together" you have to be MUCH more convincing than that, if you really wanna embark on a road of discrediting the old members in as epic proportions as you just did.

It's very cool CD is finally coming out and all, but we are still living in a real world buddy.
This is a world where Appetite for Destruction was not a solo project of Axl Rose. That's essentially what you are saying here.

"Axl was always THE VISIONARY of GNR.
Axl was always THE FORCE  behind GNR.
Axl was always what  DEFINED THE GNR."

You are describing a solo project in semi-lose meaning of the word;a "band" where everything is solely dependant of one super-ego, that collects a handfull of additional musicans around him to work for him.
You are describing a band that is just as much a band as David Bowie or Bob Dylan,for example, is a band.
Guns N' Roses was not that band.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:37:42 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 01:37:21 PM »

No no no no no no no.

Considering how the most succesfull, influental, critically acclaimned and appreciated album by Guns n' Roses was  very much a group effort, and very much " us together" you have to be MUCH more convincing than that, if you really wanna embark on a road of discrediting the old members in as epic proportions as you just did.

It's very cool CD is finally coming out and all, but we are still living in a real world buddy.
This is a world where Appetite for Destruction was not a solo project of Axl Rose. That's essentially what you are saying here.

You are describing a solo project in semi-lose meaning of the word;a "band" where everything is solely dependant of one super-ego, that collects a handfull of additional musicans around him to work for him.
You are describing a band that is just as much a band as David Bowie or Bob Dylan,for example, is a band.

Most bands have a leader who steers the ship.  That doesn't mean that the others didn't make significant contributions or that they were just doing what Axl told them.

It's just human nature.  You put 5, 10, or 50 people into a room and ask them to work on something, doesn't matter if we're talking business, sports teams, or bands, leaders are going to emerge.  In the context of Guns that always was and always will be Axl.  Some of you may not like it but that's what all the signs point to

It's not a coincidence that even with the old lineup, Axl is the only person with a writing credit on all of their defining songs sans Patience, which was an Izzy solo writing effort.  Some of their biggest hits were written by the whole band.  Some were written by Axl and Izzy.  Some were written by Axl alone.  But he had his hand in writing all but one of their most revered songs.  And the fact that he had to fight tooth and nail to get Slash to do songs like November Rain, Estranged and Patience kind of indicates who the person with the vision and the "big picture" view was. 
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »

Excactly. Very well put.
Axl Rose was essentially the one who shaped the direction the band was taking from the beginning, but really manifesting himself as the visionary leading up to the Use Your Illusion records, which have Axl written all over them, and up until today's reincarnation of Guns N' Roses.

GN'R 2010!!!
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »

Most bands have a leader who steers the ship.  That doesn't mean that the others didn't make significant contributions or that they were just doing what Axl told them.

It's just human nature.  You put 5, 10, or 50 people into a room and ask them to work on something, doesn't matter if we're talking business, sports teams, or bands, leaders are going to emerge.  In the context of Guns that always was and always will be Axl.  Some of you may not like it but that's what all the signs point to

Well, no major arguments there. Atleast not when talking about UYI - era GNR. By that time Axl was the boss of bosses.
It's one thing to say Axl is the leader and frontman of band, and another to say that he more or less is the band.

Axl Rose was essentially the one who shaped the direction the band was taking from the beginning,

You are calling someone who did not play anything but piano and keyboards as the sole fundamental and essential player in shaping the sound of an album that is a very guitar heavy hard rock album.

In another news, Wayne Gretzky was the only essential entity  when it comes to arranging goaltending of Edmonton Oilers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:55:26 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »

No no no no no no no.

It's not a coincidence that even with the old lineup, Axl is the only person with a writing credit on all of their defining songs sans Patience, which was an Izzy solo writing effort.  Some of their biggest hits were written by the whole band.  Some were written by Axl and Izzy.  Some were written by Axl alone.  But he had his hand in writing all but one of their most revered songs.  And the fact that he had to fight tooth and nail to get Slash to do songs like November Rain, Estranged and Patience kind of indicates who the person with the vision and the "big picture" view was. 

You're only talking about lyrics. The lyrics Axl wrote are half of the deal here. Slash and Izzy wrote most of the music, so don't give me this crap about it being all Axl's vision. Without Slash's riff in SCOM, that song is nothing. Without his solos in November Rain, its just a long, pointless, bloated love song. I could go on and on and on. It was always a two-way street.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: