Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 01:39:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228058 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  This I Love - discussion/comments
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This I Love - discussion/comments  (Read 174254 times)
Jada
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

2nd listen... I'm in love with this song. It's definitely one of the best songs I've ever heard.

commissioner
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »

I'm going to keep being annoying about this to everyone I know, here and everywhere.

This I Love is the sound a heart makes as it is breaking.

This is the best song I have ever heard Cry

Aside from November Rain of course

My heart really goes out to Axl on this song.  People, this is the real heart in Axl Rose!
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »

It just made my mom cry  yes she's crazy about gn'r ballads and she said this song > them all

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2008, 01:35:19 PM »

From my 'review': "This I Love, while simple and very familiar sounding, may be Axl's greatest vocal showcase."

I love this song, I've been listening again, and again, on GnR MySpace...Slash fans - get back on the bus (with us), listen to this solo!!!  Since I don't have liner notes, I can only assume this is BBF singing with his guitar.  You can pick out the 'November Rain' similarities in the piano playing, almost as if playing NR gave birth to this...it will be interesting to hear how this song developed.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
commissioner
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »

I am not ashamed to admit it - I got a little choked up and told my wife we need to give Axl a hug.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel honored that Axl would share something so deep and personal with the public.  You can feel his pain.  This must have been written after the breakup with Stephanie.  Notice that he's not had a "significant" relationship since then...sometimes, you only get one or two shots at true love.  

"If your Lucky" Cry

JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

This song is my favorite.  Love  it.
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »

From my 'review': "This I Love, while simple and very familiar sounding, may be Axl's greatest vocal showcase."

I love this song, I've been listening again, and again, on GnR MySpace...Slash fans - get back on the bus (with us), listen to this solo!!!  Since I don't have liner notes, I can only assume this is BBF singing with his guitar.  You can pick out the 'November Rain' similarities in the piano playing, almost as if playing NR gave birth to this...it will be interesting to hear how this song developed.

Agreed with everything you say - though it's Robin on the guitar solo.

And there goes the challenger...
Headliner

Do you know where the f@*k you are?

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »

The solo is ROBIN FINCK.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »

Agreed with everything you say - though it's Robin on the guitar solo.
I must say that I am surprised...perhaps he has picked up something along the way...now I certainly hope he is not 'out' - this is a great piece of work.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:05 PM »

Axl's vocals on this song are stunning, the piano is beautiful, but the sappy lyrics are very emo-ish and downright pathetic...  Axl is still in a lot of pain.  The solo doesn't do the song justice, it just doesn't.  There was so much space to put down an epic solo.  Its not the worst solo, and I like it more than some of the Bumble solos, but the song could have been more if you ask me.  Its a good song, but nowhere near what some of you guys are making it out to be.  Seems repetitive and almost predictable.  This does sound like a score to a movie....  Like others have said, its not NR or Estranged level.  And that is okay, it doesn't have to be.  Axl is here on his "A-Game", but sometimes that alone isn't enough.  

4/5
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »

Honestly, is there anyone here who doesn't like it?  Does it get better with repeated listens?  Because I've heard it once and thought it was one of the silliest GNR songs I've ever heard.  And I love the rest of the album.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2008, 02:09:30 PM »

Honestly, is there anyone here who doesn't like it?  Does it get better with repeated listens?  Because I've heard it once and thought it was one of the silliest GNR songs I've ever heard.  And I love the rest of the album.

Yes, me, its okay.  I want to Shake Axl and say, "Wake the fuck up, you are better than this, stop feeling sorry for yourself", but its his art and his expression, but he has turned into a real softy.  Since everyone has already claimed its the greatest ever I thought I was the one with the issue.  Sorry > This I Love.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »

Yes, me, its okay.  I want to Shake Axl and say, "Wake the fuck up, you are better than this, stop feeling sorry for yourself", but its his art and his expression, but he has turned into a real softy.  Since everyone has already claimed its the greatest ever I thought I was the one with the issue.  Sorry > This I Love.

I guess I was just shocked to come here and read 4 pages of how it was the greatest thing ever put to record.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2008, 02:13:22 PM »

This is going to sound really gay, but this song nearly made me cry.

Thank you for your honesty, there is an element to that song that can certainly produce that effect.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »

I guess I was just shocked to come here and read 4 pages of how it was the greatest thing ever put to record.

Yes, the only reason is that its the "Greatest song ever recorded" is because its new and Axl sang it.  After a few months that talk will die down and reality will hit.
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »

Yes, the only reason is that its the "Greatest song ever recorded" is because its new and Axl sang it.  After a few months that talk will die down and reality will hit.

No, I don't think so...............
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »

Oh bull shit! Its great because it is great, your just pissed a certain soemone doesn't play on it.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »

There are those that think November Rain is the greatest GnR song, EVER.

There are those that think it's overproduced, grandiose, overblown, overindulgent SHIT and prefer WTTJ by a wide margin.

That's one of the things I LIKE about GnR...it's been pretty eclectic stuff.  YOUR favorite track might be someone else's shit sandwich.  Their favorite track might be your crap taster.  Doesn't make either of you right or wrong.  Again, I think that's one of the things that makes Axl such a talented artist.  You might not "connect" on this bit, but he might grab you by the balls with the next.

I prefer Sorry, too.  That's my favorite song on the album.  But this.....this is a piece of artistic expression that, to me, is so powerful and moving I can't help but be awed by it.  I think it's a GREAT song, too, don't get me wrong.  But I think at least part of my appreciation for it is in my appreciation for Axl having the balls to put himself out there, raw and naked for pretty much everyone to see, like he does in this song.  You may think that makes him "soft"...fair enough, this isnt' your cup of tea.  I just have to respect the man for taking that kind of chance.  For investing himself so heavily in it, and for letting many of the people listening to the song feel the pain and anguish that's so obvious in the song...not just the lyrics, but the music, too.  For setting himself up to be completely crucified for being "soft" or for putting together a song that isn't going to cater to what most people consider "the typical rock fan" (whether there really is such an animal or not....I doubt).

Axl deserves, IMHO, some major kudos for this song.  He might not get 'em...we'll see.  By the looks of this thread SO far, I'd say he has a fair shot at getting them.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:32 PM »

Oh bull shit! Its great because it is great, your just pissed a certain soemone doesn't play on it.

Its a decent song, but Sorry ownes TIL.  This has nothing to do with what you think it does.  So stop that talk now.  CD and Better are both better than TIL as well.  Its not even the best ballad on THIS album, let alone past albums.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2008, 02:26:46 PM »

Yes, the only reason is that its the "Greatest song ever recorded" is because its new and Axl sang it.  After a few months that talk will die down and reality will hit.

I call Bullshit.

You don't like it...fine.  Your preference.

But to question the motives of people that do?  That's just crap.  This album could sell 3 copies and I'd like this song.  Nobody could EVER hear this song but me, and I'd like it.  It could be by Elton John or George Micheal or the garage band that practices down my street and I'd think it was a great song. 

If it's not your cup of tea, say so, make your case, and move on.  But how about we can the clairvoyance, and stop telling people how "they're going to feel" about material in a few months.  You don't know them, and you certainly don't know me.....I don't know how you can assume to speak for me.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 41 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: