Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews  (Read 52445 times)
circusboy666
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 12:39:41 AM »

1-cd-9/10
2-shackler-10/10
3-better-9/10
4-street-10/10
5-if-8/10
6-twat-9/10
7-catcher-8/10
8-scraped-6/10
9-rhiad-10/10
10-sorry-7/10
11-irs-10/10
12-madag-10/10
13-this i love-7/10
14-prostitute-10/10

this is after one listen....im sure after a few more they will be all 10's...theres a lot going on in these songs. drums are ridiculous and pitman is THE man.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:31 AM »

1-cd-9/10
2-shackler-10/10
3-better-9/10
4-street-10/10
5-if-8/10
6-twat-9/10
7-catcher-8/10
8-scraped-6/10
9-rhiad-10/10
10-sorry-7/10
11-irs-10/10
12-madag-10/10
13-this i love-7/10
14-prostitute-10/10

this is after one listen....im sure after a few more they will be all 10's...theres a lot going on in these songs. drums are ridiculous and pitman is THE man.

Shackler 10, Sorry 7?  Hmmmmmm....   Roll Eyes
circusboy666
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »

hey....different strokes
and ok ill give sorry an 8.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:55:20 AM by circusboy666 » Logged
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »

This I Love is the greatest Guns N' Roses song of all time. This song needs a fucking award. Imagine this played live with a full symphony backing.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »

This I Love is the greatest Guns N' Roses song of all time. This song needs a fucking award. Imagine this played live with a full symphony backing.

I'm inclined to agree, As I said earlier, to me it's like if a broken heart was a sound, that sound would be TIL.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 01:10:11 AM »

I prefer Sorry to TIL.....  TIL is a good song though.....
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 01:35:04 AM »

Can't decide on the best song on the album.......comes down to TWAT and Sorry for me
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 01:44:55 AM »

Well I listened to the free streaming from Myspace. I would like to first start off by saying that just because Im a Guns N' Roses fan doesn't mean I can't write a fair review and this is no way a homer statement.  This is probaly by far one of the GREATEST ALBUMS put out in the last 15 years.  The one thing that really stood out for me (besides the excellent guitar work) is the DRUMMING.  Brain and Frank did a tremendous job on the drumming, especially Better, and If The World.  I will be rating each track on a 5 star basis.

Chinese Democracy: The first single and first track off the album.  Love the pounding bass drum in the intro with the opening riff and Axl's scream.  There isn't really a chorus but if your a GnR fan you will like this hard rocker of a track.  ***

Shacklers Revenge: When I first heard it on Rockband 2 I was WOW ! what is this ! then once Axl belts into that familiar voice of his it makes you feel like getting revenge.  The industrial vibe and Bumblefoot's solo and Bucket's playing on the track it is outta this world, along with excellent drumming by Brain.

Better: This is the best track on the album hand's down.  The lyrics the melody just give you goose bumps, I really liked the guitar slide with the lower mix of Pittman's robotic parts.  Robin play's a Bluesy solo that is just dead on, I had this playing and everyone in the room liked it. *****

Street Of Dreams: I don't get why people are upset of the title of this song ? I like the add guitar in the intro, it's way better than the live version of 02.  I like the change of lyrics at the end.  The Piano playing and the synth's are incredible its a excellent song that alot of people can relate too. ****

If The World: WOW ! who would of thought Axl had this up his sleeve I didn't ? this is probaly my second favorite track on the album.  The spanish guitar of Bucket really add's the spanish feel to it, along with Frank tearing it up on the drums.  I love the feel and the guitars in this song. ****

Catcher In The Rye: Classic, Classic of a song.  The intro is kind of clustered with guitars but once the track get's going you will fall in love with it.  Brian May not be on it and some people argue that the demo version is better ( COME ON PEOPLE ) I'm glad they added this to the CD. ****

TWAT: It's not one of my favorite song's but I like it ! broken glass cigeratte's writing on the wall.  The Orchestra is amazing, what a great piece of music this is. I would consider it to be a wild card among listeners. ***

Riad N' The Bedouins: This song kicks major ass ! the intro just builds up the song so much and then once it starts it's like a fuck you to anyone in your way. Axl's Vocals really shine on this song I think man... Im speachless this song just kicks major ass that's all I can say. ****

Scraped: Great Rocker ! i'll give it that ! This song will half to grow on me and by the time I play it about 4 times on sunday, I will probaly be a fan of it. **

Sorry: Can anyone say Pink Floyd ? I really like this song ! is it Slash who he is talking about in the lyric's ? I hope so because that Top hat wearing SOB can listen to this song and come out and say I lied. *****

IRS: I remember hearing this live and I wasn't really into it. The Studio version I half to give it prop's Richard, Ron, and Robin really play the shit out of this song and with Axl's Vocals this makes me wanna call the president and wanna get the FBI. ***

Madagascar: I love this song since the first time I heard it at the VMA's 02.  This is a masterpiece with the sample of Martin Luther King, this a song that you can tell really means alot to Axl. ****

This I Love: I know im gonna get alot of shit thrown at me for saying this but... This I love is giving November Rain a run for its money.  What a intimate setting with Axl on the piano spilling his heart out.  First I thought it was just going to be a piano ballad, when that solo kicks in and the drums man I damn near shitted myself. *****

Prositute: Another beautiful song that just really caps off the album's greatness. What would you say if I said I loved you and then walked away, talk about powerful lyrics.  I love the end of the song with the synth's caring the song to its end makes me sad and wonder is this the last Guns N' Roses album ? ****

Overall I give this Album 4 outta 5 stars: my mom was listening to the stream with me and she love's the album ( especially If The World) I think anyone who appreciate's good music will like this album.  For being a Guns N' Roses fan this was worth the wait ! even though its a stream i'll be even more excited to jump in my car sunday head over to Best Buy with a huge grin on my face, BECAUSE I'VE WAITED FOR THIS DAY FOR ALONG LONG TIME !!! LIKE EVERYONE ELSE I HOPE YOUR EXPERIENCE WHILE LISTENING TO THIS CLASSIC RECORD IS A FANTASIC TIME. I WILL REMEMBER SUNDAY THE 23rd OF NOV AS THE DAY MUSIC RETURNED.

Favorite songs: Better, If The World, Sorry, THIS I LOVE.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:50:11 AM by GNR4L » Logged

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
mcmurray
Headliner

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:17 AM »

I can't agree with that comment.  While the song has potential to be great, Robin sounds like he doesn't know where he's going with the solo.  It's almost like he only thinks 2 or 3 notes ahead, his phrasing is very choppy to these ears. 

If the song was just Axl and his piano, it really would be something special.
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 03:24:47 AM »

It's so exciting to actually hear every song on the album in its intended order legally and in CD quality for the first time. Smiley

1.) Chinese Democracy: A brilliant opening track.  The intro is a great buildup to the chorus part.  I'm so happy they added that in there after hearing the live versions from 2002.  Overall, 4/5

2.) Shacklers Revenge: I'll be honest, I didn't really like this song that much the first time I heard it.  Not because it was bad, but because its just not the type of music i normally listen to, at all.  However, it's grown on me and i've always liked the chorus a lot, the melody and the backing vocals are fucking amazing.  4/5

3.) Better: This song is going to be a huge radio hit, i think.  Such a catchy melody.  The solos by Robin and Bucket/Bumble (i dunno, which, haha) are great, and the bridge is killer.  5/5

4.) Street of Dreams: I think i like the new song name better than "The Blues." I like the distorted guitars in the intro that weren't there in the previous demo and the live shows in 06/07.  Still the great song we've been hearing since 2001.  4.5/5

5.) If the World: This song is very experimental, even for this.  It's not something you'd expect to hear on a Guns N Roses album, let alone a rock album, haha.  Axl's vocals are great though and I love how the song becomes isolated to one speaker and slowly comes back to both in the middle.  3.5/5

6.) There Was A Time: The "Lonely teardrops..." line is probably my favorite lyric on the album.  However, I don't really like the new version of the chorus, it seems to heavy or something (unless i'm just imagining it being different before or something).  Still a great song though.  4/5.

7.) Catcher In The Rye: I really miss Brian May Sad But this song is still great.  Great chord progression, piano playing, guitar playing all around.  4.5/5

8.) Scraped: I think this might be my least favorite so far.  Still an okay song though, but it feels like it could be better. 3/5

9.) Sorry: Just epic.  I don't get the whole doom metal thing though, haha.  The solo and chorus are great. 4.5/5

10.) Riad & The Bedouins: I like this a lot more than the live version, it sounds a lot better here. 4/5

11.) IRS: Not much more to say about this track that hasn't already been said, awesome vocals, awesome solos (seems like i've been saying that a lot in these reviews haha) 4/5

12.) Madagascar: Another song we've had for a long ass time.  Great song.  4.5/5

13.) This I Love: Holy shit.  The piano, the vocals, the solo...so emotional, so...perfect. 5/5

14.) Prostitute: I really like this song a lot.  I want to focus my complete attention to listening to this album, so i'm just going to give my rating and be done with it. Smiley  Nice closer.  5/5.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 03:53:06 AM »

Here is my full review, expanded from the one I posted on Rolling Stone

After years of studio time, polishing, and behind the scenes drama that outsiders will never fully comprehend, Axl Rose has resurrected Guns N' Roses and delivered his magnum opus.  Even if the sound and the musical style has evolved, make no mistake about it, this is a Guns N' Roses album in spirit, a group of musicians from different backgrounds with different influences coming together to make a great melting pot of a hard rock album.

Rose was smart enough to realize that they could never make another Appetite For Destruction, not even if the original lineup was still together.   That record was a snapshot of a place they were in at that particular time, a place that they would never return to.  

From the moment the minute long ambient opening of the album, it is clear that this isn't your 42 year old brother who still wears leather pants out to the bar's Guns N' Roses.  From the outset, with the title track's minute long ambient opening leading up to the crunchy, fist pumping riff, it's clear that this is something more ambitious.  At heart this is a straight forward rock song, is filled with a multitude of guitar fills and overdubs, vocal layers, keyboards, and oh yes, two guitar solos back to back, the latter punctuated by Buckethead's trademark beeping and shredding.  In other words, even the simplest songs on the album are chock full of layers and nuances that require multiple listenings to pick up.  But while Chinese Democracy is an example of a simple song that's been beefed up, the second single off the album is proof that Axl was intent that no good ideas would be left on the cutting room floor.

Better, while clearly falling under the hard rock umbrella, is impossible to pigeonhole into one category.  In this sense, it is possibly the definitive song of the album and Axl's vision of where Guns N' Roses needed to go.  An instantly recognizable and infectious processed guitar intro with falsetto vocals soon gives way to a thumping power chord riff with a surprising groove that is topped by vocals and melodies that could never be mistaken for anyone but Axl Rose.  A shred solo courtesy of Buckethead gives way to a heavy metal section, which gives way to a solo and final verse that are vintage Guns N' Roses.  A hook heavy, radio friendly rocker that manages to combined a number of musical styles and ideas into one coherent, awesome track that sounds entirely distinct and original.  This is the type of song that will make people go "oh, so that's why the album took so long to complete."

After three pulsing, hard rocking songs to begin the album, Better gives way to Street of Dreams, as Dizzy Reed kicks things off with a classical sounding piano intro that morphs into an instrumental that sounds reminiscent of a 70's Elton John song, if it were topped with heavy guitars and bluesy licks (courtesy of Ron Thal).  Meanwhile, Axl shows why he is quite simply the best rock singer of his era; nobody else sounds so completely at home on both brutal hard rock tracks and a sweet sounding piano ballads.  Robin Finck provides a wonderfully fitting guitar solo, which is followed by Axl wailing about a moment of clarity following a broken relationship:  "What I thought was true before were lies I couldn't see / What I thought was beautiful was only memories," leading into a soaring Buckethead outro solo as Axl belts out high notes that few male singers could reach.  

If The World is perhaps the most surprising song on the album, as a mysterious Spanish guitar lick segues into a funky groove that could have been the theme song to a 70's flick starring Fred Williamson or, as many others have pointed out, a James Bond movie.  The simplest and most straightforward song on the album in terms of lyrics, Axl belts out vocals that will silence anyone who doubts that he still has it, before giving way to arguably the highlight track of Chinese Democracy.

There Was A Time is the type of song that mainstream rock has been lacking for many years.  Everything including the kitchen sink is thrown in here.  A choral intro breaks into verses backed by orchestration (both real and courtesy of a Mellotron), wailing guitars, thick and heavy distorted guitars during the chorus, and featuring some of the most personal lyrics on the album:  "If there's something I can make of this, anything at all / It'd be the devil hates a loser and you thought you had it all.....if I could go back in time, to the place in my soul, there all alone / Lonely tear drops, ooh, are calling you / But I don't wanna know it now, cuz knowing you, it won't change a damn thing / But there was a time......"  The following 4 minutes slowly builds to a crescendo, as a mournful solo accompanies subdued vocals:  "Yeah there was a time, didn't wanna know it all, didn't wanna know it all and I don't wanna know it now."  A more uptempo solo accompanied by amazingly powerful screams of "I would do anything for you, there was a time!," which leads into another solo, a minute and a half soaring monster courtesy of Buckethead that is not only the best solo on the album, but one of the best on any hard rock song in recent memory.  

Catcher In The Rye is perhaps the most subdued, restrained song on the album, as a poppy, upbeat musical soundscape stands in stark contrast to the lyrics, as Axl ruminates on themes from the novel and the murder of John Lennon, whose killer was obsessed with the book.  Rather than offering up a preachy anti-violence vibe or sugary tribute to Lennon, Axl offers up cryptic lyrics that could be interpreted in a number of different ways, but seem heavily focused on the concepts of being an outcast, the trappings of celebrity, and the loss of innocence of society as a whole.  

Given the downbeat tone of most of the album, Scraped is a welcome addition.  "Don't you try and stop us now - I just refuse / Don't you try and stop us now - I just won't let you," Axl growls in during the infectious chorus.  The verses are exercises in defiance, "Sometimes I feel like my life's a catastrophe," Axl opines, before coming to the conclusion that "I am unconquerable."  Riad N' The Bedouins is another crowd pleasing rocker, as an amazing intro riff leads into a full on assault of funky basslines, thick sonic soundscapes bursting with powerful guitars, banshee wails, and an off the wall Ron Thal solo, straight from outerspace.

While the overall tone of the lyrical content of this album is reflective, largely rooted in broken relationships and wayward dreams, there are times throughout the course of this album that Axl still displays some of the venomous, nihilistic lyricism he did during the old days.  However, he has matured as a songwriter. Nowhere is this more clear than in Sorry, a scathing "fuck you" of a song. In the past, Rose probably would have been tempted to display these types of emotions in a brutal, aggressive song. Here, he makes his words that much more potent, presenting them in a deliberately paced musical environment that is Pink Floyd-esque during the verses but contains on assault of ominous, heavy guitars during the unforgettable chorus, with a gorgeous guitar solo included for good measure.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:06:40 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 03:53:22 AM »

However, that's not to say there aren't throwbacks.  IRS is an old school GnR rocker in the vein of You Could Be Mine.  Angry, vindictive lyrics discussing an old girlfriend are backed by a wall of massive sounding guitars, relenting only for several acoustic breakdowns, punctuated by an absolutely blistering solo backed by slamming drums and rhythm guitars. 

On This I Love, Axl channels his hero Freddie Mercury, creating a musical piece that (minus the guitar solo) sounds as though it could have been composed 200 years ago, with a classical sounding piano track backed by a tasteful string section.  The lyrics read like a very simple love poem, and cynics will undoubtedly take pot shots and call it cheesy, but the vocals are too genuine and the music too beautiful to be denied. 

Closing the show is the grandiose Prostitute, which starts off like a pop friendly ballad, then climbs to the heights you expect for the show closer on an album like this.  "What would say if I told you that I'm to blame? / And what would you do if I had to deny your name? / Where would you go if I told you I loved you and then walked away?," Axl asks, speaking of a relationship that has been damaged beyond repair, to the point where apologies and regrets have become pointless.  One has to wonder if he's speaking of a romantic relationship, or a certain former band member.  Nonetheless, the album closes with a statement that rings true:  Axl refused to compromise himself or his vision to cater to the demands of the public, the press, the record label, and anyone else.  "Ask yourself / Why I would choose, to prostitute, myself / To live with fortune and shame / When you should have turned to the hearts of the ones that you would not save / I told you when I found you, all this amounts to, is love that you crippled for fortune and fame," as the song makes way for one last Buckethead solo before fading off into a sunset of strings. 

From top to bottom this is the type of ambitious, over the top mainstream rock album that has become all but extinct in the modern era. The style and sound of GnR is still present in many ways, but Axl embraces the bombastic, unapologetic extravagance of 70's era Queen, combining other influences as wide ranging as Isaac Hayes to White Zombie, with some of the most intensely personal lyrical content he has ever written.  The sheer audacity of including songs as drastically different Shackler's Revenge, If The World, Riad N' The Bedouins and This I Love on the same album deserves respect.  Pulling it off and making it into an effort that is somehow coherent and brilliant is almost unbelievable.  Is the album perfect or flawless?  Nope.  But I think it's safe to say there has never been any singular album quite like Chinese Democracy.  It's a wild ride, and some will say that it's a mess in certain ways, but if it is a mess, it's a beautiful and unique one.  And anyone who writes it off because Slash isn't there or because it took a long time to make is depriving themselves of one of the greatest rock albums in the past decade just for the sake of being petty or doing what they view as cool, and frankly it's their loss.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:03:55 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
clau68
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 04:29:48 AM »

I just have heard CD on myspace and I really happy because this album full all my expectation. I have listened only one time and I can?t choose my favorite or make a complete review. I can only say that SORRY impress me, is a wonderful song. I hope tomorrow at midnight I have the album on my hands.
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »

On a 10-point scale, if I may:

Chinese Democracy -- 7/10 -- Great opening rocker, albeit a little spoiled when my wife said, "Is that the Beverly Hills 90210 theme?"
Shackler's Revenge -- 5/10 -- First listen I vomited a little in my mouth, and would've given it a 2.  Has a way of growing on you though.
Better  -- 10/10 -- Instant classic.  Gonna make this album sell like stink.
Street of Dreams -- 10/10 -- Instant classic.  Love everything about this song but the somewhat warbly beginning lyrics. 
If the World -- 6/10 -- Kind of song that makes you wanna smoke a joint and watch a sunset.  Sounds out of place and a little cheap though.
There Was A Time -- 10/10 -- Instant classic.  That guitar solo is like an orgasm, and helps make it my favorite track on the album.
Catcher in the Rye -- 7/10 -- Charming melody, interesting lyrics, nice guitars, but overall sort of a boring song.
Scraped -- 4/10 -- Filler song.  OK rocker, but unmemorable.  I'll be hitting the next button on this one regularly.
Riad and the Bedouins -- 3/10 -- Filler song.  This album's equivalent of Perfect Crime, may have to listen again when I'm pissed off.
Sorry -- 10/10 -- I'll let this one surprise you, as it did me.  Very nice.
IRS -- 9/10 -- Great song, just enjoyed the *ahem* 'demo version' a bit more.
Madagascar -- 9/10 -- Critics siting overproduction will point to this track, but its bombastic-ness is what makes it great I think.
This I Love -- 9/10 -- You'll either love or hate this song; I thought it was very moving, a legendary guitar solo away from being November Rain. 
Prostitute -- 7/10 -- Perfect choice to end the album, still more or less a filler pseudoballad but one I feel will improve with further listenings. 

Just to follow up on this after additional listenings, I've got to bump all those 3's, 4's, 5's, and 7's up a point (If The World stays where it is).  The nuance in this album is just stunning, impossible to capture with just a couple of plays.  More like a symphony really.
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 09:21:59 AM »

my review (note:influenced only by mayspace stream):

Chinese Democracy album 10/10

v. ..
Mechanical-Worm
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »

Overall I'm very impressed with the album. It has some key parts where it really soars and envitably some which are rather low in prominance. Allow me to break it down...

Chinese Democracy

Starts the album with a crushing blow, I love the new intro they incorporated a few demos ago with the sirens and other sound extracts and overall it makes the song much more climatic when the recognizable first riffs kick in. I think it was a fitting choice as the lead single as well. 8/10

Shackler's Revenge

Most fans have mixed reviews about this, usually they tend to hate it from my experience. I like the track and found it very industrial sounding, which was what was intended. The mixing is overall not the greatest but it pulls out to be the downfall of this for most fans. I still enjoy the track and Axl's familiar vocals. 7/10

Better

One of the best songs to emerge from post 1994 GN'R in my eyes and ears. It has a great, catchy hook and lyrics are written simplistically but also retain deep thought. I enjoyed this track ever since it first leake din 2006 and it still is a top on my list. 9/10

Street Of Dreams

I never much cared for this song even when it had the previous moniker as The Blues. It has the potential of being a great song but to me it still falls short of that level. The lyrics are thoughtful but the mix between the guitars and piano bring away the depth of what is supposed to be represented in the songs lyrics to me. I would've prefered it without the added guitar layers. 6/10

If The World

One of my favorite tracks on Chinese Democracy. Pitman soars with his bass playing here - I love the groove and funk feel that the ing riffs and bass add to the sound of the initial spanish guiatar petrformance (God bless uckethead). Overall, I love this track and would like to see nothing more then endless love for it from other fellow fans. 9/10

There Was A Time

Over produced, Over produced, Over produced! These words scream in your head from the endless guitar work on this track but it still has a raw edge to it. It's been a favorite of mine ever since the initial leaked demo. I really enjoy the solos in this track as along with the deep cut lyrics of Rose reflecting on past endeavors. This track should be shown to new GN'R listeners. 10/10

Catcher In the Rye

Another track I always favored, it had well written lyrics as well as a catchy hook when "when all is said and done" is sang. I like the productiona nd layering of this song. Nothing hits me more than the oh, no, no, no right around the 2:00 mark. I absolutely love that. 8/10

Scraped

I don't particularly care for opening vocal hamornizing but once it kicks in the true message of the song comes into effect - "no one can stop up now, I just refuse.." it's a great rock track and has good chanc eof beign a single. Nothing much more to say on the matter. 7/10

Riad N' the Bedouins

The added intro of static and other omnious sounds draws the effect of the opening ahh's in with much more power to me. The lyrics are also very poorly written (in my opinion of course) but it still pulls out to be a great ass kicking song. Great tune, glad they included it on the album unlike its fellow live only performed brother, Silkworms, which i also ahd hoped would make the album. 7/10

Sorry

Well, well, here we are...one of the centerpieces of the album. It delivers with over the top sounds and lyrics. The work by Bucket on this track is awe inspiriging. The inclusing of Sebastian bach is vague which is good, as I believe if his voice was more notticeable it would throw the balance off the track. I'll go out ona limb and say I hear presence of Pink Floyd vibes in this song. Instant classic. 10/10

I.R.S.

I never cared for this track and I still don't but it does tell the story of Chinese Democracy well. It serves as a breaker in between two epic songs, those being Sorry and Madagascar, which is what is needed. I don't like the song but I still won't deteriorate the score I believe its worth. 8/10

Madagascar

Epic, just as it was played live many many years ago. I have always loved this song. It has the best definiteion of the new Guns sound out of any other song besides Better. The lyrics themselves are touchign and the added film and MLK Jr. speech extracts are also powerful. Instant classic. 10/10

This I Love

Heartfelt, genuine, and touching - this track has all the makings of the next November Rain. It hits home with easily entertaining lyrics but they go so much deeper than that if read. The track itself is also one of Axl's oldest songs for this album, dating back to even 1993. This song is amazing but I'm sure most here agree with me. It may be very well written but I still much prefer the ballads from the band's heyday. 9/10

Prostitute

To be honest, this song doesn't really interest me as much as the others. The hype building up to this song just falls short of expectations upon listening (well it did for me). I won't deny that it doesn't have potential of being a great track in the eyes and ears of other fans but I just don't see how well it would be pulled off live, even if it does get to that stage. 8/10

Undoubtedly one of 2008's best and most anticipated albums comes out just when it is needed - in times of chart failures (Nickelback sucks) and other mediocre bands.

I give the album a 9/10 total.

Smiley
big_machine
Rocker

DON`T SAY BAD WORDS

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 10:46:59 AM »

mmm ...well.... i was out a long time !!!   Grin

I THINK THIS ALBUM , REMIND ME LIKE AN ALBUM  LIKE THAT 7O`S EPIC RECORDS !!!!

just like LED ZEPPELIN , QUEEN , THE WHO , SUPERTRAMP, THE BEATLES.....

WOA !!!!!!!!!!!

14 year `s  worth to wait !!!!

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

Chinese Democracy
Great song, great intro, great way to introduce the album. I think the rhythm guitar is what really sells the groove of the song. I've read alot about the "chorus that never happens" in this song and I really don't understand that. The chorus in this song is as catchy as anything I've heard qualify as a chorus in ages. The guitar solos are awesome. They do the same thing the song does; prepare you for what else you're going to hear. The outro in the song is awesome as well. The vocal layering is just too cool.
5/5

Shackler's Revenge
I like the mixing on this track as well as the solo, that's about all I can say. I don't like the lyrics. Other then the "no one is stopping you..." bridge, nothing is really catchy on this song for me. Based on the bridge, mixing and solo I can only award it a point or two.
1.5/5

Better
This is the best song Guns N' Roses has ever recorded in my opinion. This has everything you come to GN'R for; catchy melody, incredible vocals, great lyrics, awesome groove & guitar work. The drumming near the end of the song is what I was hoping for based on the live versions from late 06 and 07. A masterpiece.
5/5

Street Of Dreams
Love the introduction. Besides the guitar, the strings worked in slightly below it add to the sound. The vocals on this are incredible. A great mix of everything Axl does right. As far as lyrics go, this song contains some of my favorite ever. "As long as this road seems, I know it's called the street of dreams" and "What this means to me is more than I know you believe" both hit home for me. Robin's solo is awesome and exactly what this song needs.
5/5

If The World
The first real shocker of the album. By that I mean it's the first track to go somewhere you never thought GN'R would. I like how the intro sounds like a skip but it's not. It's actually the underlying groove to the whole song. Takes getting used to but again the groove grabs you. Axl's vocals in the verses are much stronger then the chorus, same for the lyrics. More great guitar work both in what you expect and don't (the flamenco work is sooo cool).
4/5

There Was A Time
I'm not sure how I feel about the intro on this song. I'm not sure it's necessary but I don't know how else one would jump right into the lyrics if it weren't there. I love how aggressive the song song is overall. It begins as if it's going to be a ballad but then the first chorus puts a stop to that. More great vocals from Axl, this time the chorus matches the verses. The outro vocals (both Axl and backrounds) are awesome. They match the grandiose guitar work underneath. Is the guitar work in this song the best on the album? It just might be.
5/5

Catcher In The Rye
Something about this song won't allow me to love it just yet. Maybe I need to dig into the lyrics further. From a couple listens it just seems as if it's rambling out. The melodies, guitar and groove are good enough they all just seem to be rambling. High point is "you decide..." bridge and guitar solo.
2/5

Scraped
Here's more of what you expect from GN'R. This song snuck up on me. At first I wasn't all that impressed but found myself humming it a few hours later. When I went back to check it out again I found out why I was humming it; there's a ton of stuff I missed. Here's another song where the intro hints at the rest of the song and keeps making an appearance throughout, cool idea. The solo on this is yet another great one, although weak at the end of it. The way Axl comes back in vocally deserves to have a bigger finish to the solo.
4/5

Riad N' The Bedouins
Here's another one with an intro I'm not sure about. In a word; unnecessary. The song could easily just kick in with the guitar work and take off. Seems as if the intro bogs it down. When the song does kick it, it's biggest short coming is apparent; the "Ahh Ahh" lyrics. Again they seem unnecessary or at the very least unfinished. The two high points of the song are by far the half time chorus and solo. Those two points are what got stuck in my head and brought me back for repeated listens.
3/5

Sorry
I have very little positive comments about this song. The brooding nature of it is cool but I guess I just don't get the lyrics. It's actually the delivery of the lyrics that I don't get. Example; the "but I don't want to do it" line in the first verse. I don't care who this song might be an attack on, I care more that it could've been more effective. The pre-chorus, chorus and solo stand head and shoulders above the rest of the track.
3/5

IRS
This song takes SO LONG to get going. When it finally does, it really shines but that's not until about a quarter of the way through. The rambling feeling of the lyrics come to mind again. It seems as if the lyrics are bitching just to bitch. Axl Rose has always complained but usually mentions what he intends to do about his problem. This song just seems to be a laundry list of what he might do about what he's not sure he's mad about. The solo, drumming and vocal performance stand out. The band works together to really give this song something to remember with the rocking groove.
3/5

Madagascar
Here's another vocal performance I don't understand. Maybe the worn down sound is intentional? With all the superb vocals found elsewhere on the album, that's all I'm left to assume. This, like "If The World" is one I find most different from what a casual GN'R fan would expect. It's a welcome change though. The sample section in the middle is very inventive and a nice layer over the solo. I could do without all the vocal layers from the middle on. The vocal performance and layering force a lower score for an other wise great song.
3.5/5

This I Love
Here's more I didn't expect from GN'R. This effort knocks is completely out of the park. The lyrics are so direct and sang with such heart that they express more then what's just being sang. What I didn't expect was the fairly basic production. I love how the song could have SO much more going on, but it doesn't. That says alot to me about the message of the song. The solo is incredible for many reasons. The feeling in the vocal performance & lyrics is clearly felt in the solo as well. I love the fact that the song fakes a huge ending only to stop and get back to the heart of the matter
5/5

Prostitute
Interesting intro wasted by so so lyrics, at least in the first verse and chorus. Like "IRS" this song seems to pick up around the second verse and go from there. The multiple personality the song seems to have keeps me thinking about it. This has the potential to grow on me but isn't easy on the ears at first. The outro is a high point of the song for me. I wonder which came first, that outro or the thought that this song would finish the album? Either way it's a perfect end to the record, it gives you time to reflect on everything that just happened in the last 70 minutes or so.
3.5/5

Based solely on the music, this lives up to the Guns N' Roses name as well as what I was hoping/expecting. Marketing, packaging, band lineup, etc are all things I have separate opinions on. But reviewing/giving my opinion only on what hit my ears, I must give the album a solid 4 out of 5.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

I would give this 5 of 5 stars, and strongly reccomend it to ANYONE.  This has something for everyone, and nothing for nobody - except maybe Kanye fans.  The pissed off Slash fans can finally get back on the bus, the NR softies will be more than satisfied, and the youth can really go wild.

Don't want to waste space with what I like - because it is almost everything, and there is more than enough gushing going on, but three 'flaws' in my eyes that still bother me on third listen through:

1) Some songs get busy...muddled might be too extreme a word.  Some people can pick a single violin out of a 50 piece orchestra...I cannot, and it makes me focus on Axl's voice, and lose the rest as background noise.  Hopefully this is a clarity/bitrate issue on laptop which will not bother me as much when played off CD in surround sound.
2)  Intro's...some very weak intro's that seemed unneccesary in my book - at no time do they take away from the actual song, however...just a bit annoying - especially on Riad.
3) Sorry, I am assuming Sebastians part - "but I don't want to do it" has some kind of fucked up annunciation in the way he says it...jumps out and hits me every time.

Again - I am not at all finding fault - there is 70 minutes of awesomeness on this CD that I could write about for 70 pages...3 minor flaws are ALL that I could complain about - if I could stop listening long enough to bother.   ok ok ok ok ok

PS - This I Love, while simple and very familiar sounding, may be Axl's greatest vocal showcase.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »

the slower songs such as Sorry, Madagascar & This I Love are the best on the album
the other songs are from average to good

scraped and rhiad sucks

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: