Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:34:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews  (Read 52975 times)
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »

Nicely done D.  Your review is one that I am interested in.   I'd also love it if years old members came back and reviewed.  Guys like 55555, SLC Punk, that grumpy fuck Dizzy, Misfit, GitFuckedUp, that crazy kid Justin from Michigan....he used so many names I can't remember one.....acutally I just did, "The Great One", was one of them.

Where's jarmo's review?  Come on jarmo ?!?!?!?!!!

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
bangit
Rocker

Here Today..been on mygnr for past few years.

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »

My review -

Chinese Democracy: good rock song, i would love the riff intro to be louder in the mix than it is on the album. i like the solo, it kicks ass! a great track to kick off the album, powerful and aggressive. Still dont agree with it being the first single, it should have been better. 3.5/5

Shacklers Revenge: very average overall, although i do like axls voice in this! its a little boring and not up to the high standard of song that people would expect to be on this record im afraid. i dont dislike it, i just think its a little average for this record. 2/5

Better: great vocal, great lyrics, great chorus, great verses, great solo, great song. Hope they make a video for this and push it in terms of radio play etc....4/5

The blues / Sod: a brilliant song, emotional, powerful lyrics. Ive always liked this bad boy and so has everyone ive ever introduced to it. it would do well on the radio or as a video. 4/5

If The World: Different, catchy, i have to admit i like this although i dont want to, if you no what i mean lol! Not the best song but not as bad as some people make out - its a little experimental if you ask me. solo is cool and the chorus is very catchy - boring after a number of listens though! 3/5

There Was a Time: A belting beast of a song. A real power epic motherfucker! great lyrics and awesome guitar work here to rival any song. I like the heavier nature of the song / thicker sounding guitars in the final mix work well. 4/5

Catcher in the rye: I loved the demo and was most looking forward to hearing this in album form - at first i was pissed off, it seemed to have become a mess of music, too much goin on, no need for it, i still feel this to some extent but it has grown on me and i do love it, its a great song, even the final album version is great. awesome outro, great lyrics! i imagine itl be the song that grows on people the most from the album. 4/5

Scraped: great little rocker, axls voice is fantastic and the lyrics so strong, suprisingly catchy, good solo, good little song overall! nicley placed after the two epics of twat and catcher. 3.5/5

Riad: better than the demo, still not the best and perhaps another song that is average and should have been left off the album. again, i dont dislike it, but i would expect an overall higher standard than this track on this record. the intro is cool, the new solo is better than the original and more in keeping with the song. 2.5/5

Sorry: really like this! theres some hard feeling in this one! excellent lyrics and verses, chorus is powerful, solo is ok - overall i enjoy this on every listen. Axls voice is great. 4/5

Irs: finished version sounds class! love the drums and guitars. a good song overall! it is a bit random, the irs?Huh maybe its just another orgainsation axls had run ins with and truly hates lol! (questionalble whether or not this song fits on this album?) 3.5/5

Maddy: a good song. to be honest, i used to love this, but now its a little drawn out and dull. theres something extra i want it to do just to make me believe its a great song but it never really does it. i love the arrangment and the mlk speeches etc....3.5/5

This I love: Excellent, i love this song. it has the power and emotion of nr and estranged but does it without taking 9 minutes to achieve it! all aspects are great - lyrics, axls voice, solo is awesome!,arrangemnt etc etc... all great. well done axl, this is as good as and better than most other songs you have ever written.  5/5

Prostitute: Class tune, love the highs and lows, fire and ice etc.... like the guitar additions on the final version, a perfect closer on an album. one of the best tracks on the cd. He still does not say prostitute at the end! lol! 5/5

OVERALL: 8/10 for the album - 4/5 stars from me.  Over the years i have often thought, if this album is just average ill be happy, as there was so much expectation etc.... however, i really like and believe over half the tracks on the album are truely brilliant. I am more than happy with the end result of CD. It is a really good album overall. It is the most diverse album ive ever listened to. Axl is so talented as are the many musicians who have workd on this. Well done to you all. 
No one can create the best album ever if they go out to intentionally do it:  however axl has created an extremely good one showing off why he is a legend in music.

Best song - This i Love

Top quality songs:

- This I love
- Prostitute
- Street of Dreams
- Better
- There was a time
- Sorry
- Catcher (after a number of listens this is a great song)

Good Songs:

- IRS
- Scraped
- If the world
- Chinese Democracy
- maddy

Average:

- Shacklers Revenge
- Riad

Rock in Rio Lisbon 2006, Download Dublin 2006, Sheffield 2006, Helsinki Live festival 2010, Leeds Festival 2010, Manchester 2010! 6 fucking amazing experiences! Where in 2012?Huh?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

I have to tweak some of my reviews:

Scraped has really grown on me. So Id definitely redo that one:

Scraped: what the fuck is up with that intro? HAHA, that will take some getting use to:This is a pretty top notch rocker. I don't love it yet. it may take a few listens to really grow inside of me, so this review is subject to change on this one: closes thing to filler on this CD. Its ok but it really doesn't go anywhere for me right now. Give me a few days, that probably changes.

lyrics 8/10
melody 8/10
music 8/10
solos 7/10
replay 7/10
overall 7.6/10

Revised Review:

I now love it. I like the intro as it really builds to the music coming in. Definitely a throw back to Axl's Punk roots.

lyrics 8/10
melody 8/10
music 8/10
solos 8/10
replay 8/10
overall 8/10

so multiple listens has pushed it up to an 8

Sorry: Holy wow fucking shit. What a mood this fucking song has. Not sure I really hear Bach?? Song has kind of a Bob Seger "Turn The Page" vibe...................Lyrics are ok... Axl has way better on here though.
Lyrics 8/10
melody 10/10
music 9/10
solos 9/10
replay 9/10
overall: 9.0/10

Tweak my ratings now: I love this song, the more i listen the more I connect.

Lyrics 9/10
melody 10/10
music 9/10
solos 9.5/10
replay 10/10
overall: 9.5/10

This I Love:
I kind of shitted on the solo a little too harshly. I've been listening with headphones and really concentrating on the solo and I've done a complete 180 on it. Thanks to all the other reviewers who made me give it another chance to hear what you hear and everything was spot on.

Solo is great for the song, does move u.

This I Love is definitely a 10/10 and as someone said in another thread, I pray they release this as a single and not SOD.

overall I give CD 9/10

My Favorite 5 songs:
1.This I Love
2. Sorry
3.Madagascar
4.If The World
5. Prostitute

Madagascar got hurt in my ratings a bit due to lack of a lot of guitar solo. I need to adjust its rating though cause it has always been one of my favorites.

Its definitely a 9.5/10 on my scale.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »

The guitars on this LP are phenomenal.  I just wish they were mixed in better at some points.  The intro to Street of Dreams for instance and also, the mixing could have been a lot better on TWAT.  When you listen to Death Magnetic, Rubin was obviously highlighting Hammett's guitar.  You have to do the same with guys like Bucket and Thal.  These guys are virtuosos.  Don't leave them in the dark for a synthesizer is all I am saying...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »

Man, there's a few songs on this record that grows the hell on you (on me anyway)..

I.R.S. has gone from being 'just another hardrock song', to one of the grooviest song on the record for me. When you get well into the song, you just can't avoid starting to headbang and feel the rythm. It's great!

Scraped is another one. Wasn't quite sure about this one at first, but oh man this is really a great tune.

What strikes me when listening to the record, there's really no filler songs here. I've tried to rank the songs in the dedicated thread while listening to the record, but for me it's impossible. For every time I go through the playlist, depending on the mood etc., the opinion differs... As I said, impossible.

By the way Jarmo, can't wait to hear your review. Wink
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 01:42:00 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »

Another Change

Sorry is now a 10/10 on all fronts

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeraldFord
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »

A really, really really great album. Really everyhting I had hoped for.
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2008, 07:49:27 PM »

Here is my chinese democracy review. Let me say first that to me this is a pretty good album. However in my review I will try to be as fair and harsh as I can be (much more interesting than continuously praising the album). Some general thoughts first?

This is a truly ambitious record, Axl did aim for the stars and mostly succeeded. The majority of the songs are great - I think most gnr fans will agree with that.

Lyrically the album is really uneven; it has some great moments (like CITR) along with some not so great ones (like Sorry, If the world). I think Axl should have worked more on some of the lyrics. Don?t get me wrong, most of the lyrics on CD are fine but taking into account the lyrical genious Axl is I have to say I am a little disappointed.

Production wise the album is also really uneven. On some songs (If the World, Madagascar for example) the production is superb, on other songs (TWAT, Catcher) the production is relatively mediocre. What really seems mind boggling to me is the production of the drums. While the drums on some songs sound truly great, on some other songs (like TWAT) they sound so ?flat? and ?stale?, without any depth at all.

Musical wise it is clear that some of the most talented musicians on the planet have contributed to this project. The drums are really exceptional (although the production sucks on some songs). Tommy does a fine job on the bass, same with dizzy and chris on the keyboars. Guitar wise, and I know I am an exception, robin steals the show. The outro solo in better, the solo in the blues and in twat are the best on the album. I know everyone goes crazy about bucket?s TWAT solo but it is just an extension of Robin?s excellent solo.

With regard to vocals, Axl fucking delivers. His vocals are superb (as expected).

Ok, let?s break it down now:

Chinese Democracy: great album opener, great- straight forward rock song. Good solos by both Robin and Bucket. Ron?s riffs and Frank?s drums add a lot to the song. 8/10

Shackler?s Revenge: really catchy but mediocre song. Filler IMO. 5/10

Better: Best rocker on CD, along with Scraped. At first one can be confused cause the song changes so many directions, but it is a really good song. Love Robin?s blues solo and the whole outro. 8.5/10

Street of dreams: First of all, the name is so corny, to me this song will always be the Blues (SOD sounds too much like a Bon Jovi song). Great song, love the added guitar in the intro. Great solo by Robin, great outro. I wish Axl would sing the melodies in the end the way he sang them in RAR or in RIR, but I guess that would be too much too ask. 9/10

If the world: great song, it has really improved vastly from the demo version. Great production, really mediocre lyrics. 9/10

TWAT: epic song, one of the best on CD. The ?don?t wanna know it nowwww? line after Robin?s solo is one of the best vocal melodies on CD, haunting me since the first time I listened to the song. The only disappointing thing is the production of drums, they sound way too flat and stale which is a shame since the actual drumming is really superb. 10/10

CITR: awesome song, one of the best. By far the best lyrics on CD. Axl?s vocals are fantastic. The only disappointing thing is the outro solo. It is so damn loud that distracts the listener from the last verse, a real shame since it features some of Axl?s best vocals ever. 10/10

Scraped: best rocker on CD along with Better. Love the intro and love the way Axl duets with his 2 voices. The outro has some great drumming, only thing that could be better is the guitar solo which doesn?t go anywhere. 8.5/10

Riad: It has developed vastly since the first time we heard it, but still sounds filler to me. Great drums though. 5/10

Sorry: awesome song, Sabbath meets Pink Floyd. Love the vocals (except for the ?don?t want to do it? line), the lyrics just don?t do it for me. Still 9.5/10

IRS: love the diversity of the song, it is a good song. Axl?s vocals remind me of Robert Plant. Lyrics could be better. 8.5/10

Madagascar: Awesome song, this song made me believe in new gnr when I heard it in RIR. Really awesome song. I adore Axl?s vocals, his voice sounds so beautifully broken. Everything about this song is perfect. 10/10

This I love: great song, love Axl?s vocals. The meloly Axl plays on the piano is so beautiful. The solo could be better but still such a touching song. 9.5/10

Prostitute: Great song, the description ?fire and ice? really fits the song. Awesome drums, great outro, perfect way to wrap up this monster of album. 9.0/10

Overall 8,5/10. As far as GNR albums go, CD sounds to me like the evolution of UYI II, which is amazing.

Must hear: CITR, TWAT, Maddy

Don?t bother: Riad, shackler
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:40:57 AM by greekmule » Logged

homo homini lupus...
the Garden
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »

Chinese Democracy: 9/10
I have really gotten into this song the more I have listened to it. It has grown so much since it was first preformed live and the reworking of the intro was brilliant. It is an update of WTTJ and the similarity in style is undeniable. Teasing guitar riff and then a trademark Axl scream to kickoff the song and the whole album. I used to loath this song from its leak stages and early live performances but after hearing the final version of the song finally, it truly is an amazing improvement. I do not think it's lyrically as strong as WTTJ but this album is not supposed to just be a re-hash of AFD. There is a great flow in the songs of this album from one song to the next and Chinese Democracy (the song) really gets you going and amped to see how the rest of the album plays out.

Shackler?s Revenge: 8/10 (Possibly higher after I hear it live)
Wow, where to begin with this one. Again, lyrically not stunning but there is a certain reckless abandon with this song that I really love. Nothing like I was expecting to hear on this album. I would have dropped the low voice after the line "I've got a funny feeling and it won't go away," and had Axl just sing that rest of the verse in his more farmiliar high range. I could see that happening when this song is preformed live though and I think the potential of this song live is astronomically high.  It is very easy to just rock out to and you can feel the scream rip through you after the guitar solo. Probably one of the weakest songs on the album but in all honesty I love the cd from the first song to the last so the weak songs are still great to listen to.

Better: 10/10
One of the most unchanged songs from the demos that many of us have heard, reason being that it kicks as much ass now as it did the first time we heard it a few years ago. The few minor changes are for the better (pun intended) and this song just kills it. There is really not much else to say about it, this song is one of the strongest on the album and shows that GN'R is back to remind us all about how good rock music can be today. It raises the bar for all the other bands out there and it will hopefully inspire a new generation of rockers to strive for more than 3-chord guitar parts and angsty lyrics.

Street of dreams: 9.5/10
Of all the songs I heard live, I was worried that this might end up overproduced and too altered to recognize. I am glad to say that I was wrong. The song is really beautifully done and I think the way Axl sings the outro works for the studio version of the song. I still prefer the live version right now, but that's because it seems to just have more magic about it live. A truly amazing song with similarities to UYI Guns.

If the World: 9/10
At first I hated the production for the final version of this song but after a few listens I have come to appreciate the changes for the part of the song where Axl sings ?La, la di da.? The demo just sounds cleaner but I think that is one of the problems with hearing the leaked demos. As you hear them you begin to expect the final version to sound almost identical and you are disappointed when it does not. Truth is this song is fantastic, I can?t stop grooving to it and it really shows the versatility of Guns. It is definintly not what you would expect from them but it works. The guitar work is superb and you can hear just how much Buckethead contributed since the Spanish guitar style sounds so identical to his rendition of Sketches of Spain (For Miles). It has become one of my favorite songs as a whole and it adds a great deal of diversity to the album.

TWAT: 9.5/10
Will end up as one of the all time greatest songs to ever come out from Guns regardless about how people feel about the ?new band.? There Was A Time is a definitive Guns N? Roses song. The only drawback of the final cut is the drums which many people have already pointed out. I do not know what happened there but somehow the drums are much stronger in the demo then the final cut. Still an amazing song though.

CITR:  7.5/10
Perhaps some of the best vocals are on this song but I am still undecided on how I feel about it as a whole. I am not torn to either love it or loath it, it just is. It is a good song but I think that it might be in the wrong spot of the album. It is not strong enough of a song for me to be sandwiched in-between the epic TWAT and the surprise song of the album Scraped.

Scraped: 9.5/10
Holy Hell!  This song was the biggest shock on the album for me and has the same ?**** off? attitude of the likes of Out to Get Me. A great head banging rocker that has an undeniable touch of classic Guns with an updated twist, this song just flat out rocks.

Sorry: 10/10
One of the most personal songs next to This I Love for Axl lyrically. He lashes out and beautifully stands up for the process of making this record and all the hard times and skeptics that haunted him over the past 15 years. The whistling is a phenomenal touch and subtle. My only gripe is that I feel like the guitar at the end is competing with the vocals, one of the two should have been brought down a little on the mixing board. A possible single but more likely will gain a cult status with us fans and could end up being played on radio as DJ?s see fit. Only time will tell. 

Riad and the Bedouins: 7.5/10
Perhaps the most improved song of them all, but still not there. I personally like the song but after hearing Sorry, Rhiad just seems to be lacking. Some excellent guitar work and vocals, but it?s just not lyrically there after being spoiled with Sorry.

IRS: 8/10
One of my favorite guitar solos on the whole album but not one of my favorite songs.  I.R.S. to me speaks about the money put into this record and the pressure to release it but I am not sure if I am right in that assessment. It?s a good song to listen to and I absolutely love how Axl holds such a high note mid-song ?It?s such a crime you know it?s true!?(10 second hold). I.R.S. is a good song, just not a truly great one.

Madagascar: 9/10
For me this song suffers from the same syndrome as the Blues er?Street of Dreams. I think you can?t capture the full majesty of this song on a CD. It is a song best listened to live. I love the interlude with snipits of Martin Luther King?s I have a Dream Speech. Great guitar work, but the vocals are somewhat lacking. I love the echo effect around the 2 minute mark of the song but for some reason it seems like Axl is just forcing the lower range too much when singing the first verse. The song also has that great UYI era Guns feel.

This I love: 10/10
A beautiful song on the level of November Rain, you can feel Axl?s pain in the singing. Possibly the best song on the album, I think given the success of November Rain it?s almost guaranteed this ends up a single. The guitar solo is nice and flows with the piano well. One of the songs I am glad I never heard any demo of because it was such a great surprise when it came on. Another song that will go down as one of the great all time Guns N? Roses songs.

Prostitute: 9/10
Great follow up song and good overall balance for the final song. It brings you full circle with a fairly heavy chorus and ending a la Rocket Queen. Just an overall tight song with good vocals, guitar, and drums and it is lyrically well written. I am nuts about the ending of the song and it leaves you feeling very satisfied with the album. As the final notes are played you realize that this album was truly unique in a sea of mediocre crap that floats on the air waves today. The only question after this song ends is how many times will you end up re-listening to the album in the next 24 hours.

"So bittersweat this tragedy, won't ask for absoloution. This melody inside of me still searches for a soloution."
Annie
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2008, 10:35:11 PM »

MY review.
   There are some works of art that do more than provide entertainment. Some music and films transform us into something that makes us more than what we are. Chinese Democracy is one of those works of art. I cannot find the words to describe how brilliant and epic this music is. It's like seeing the Grand Canyon for the very first time. It takes my breath away.
                                                                                  XOXO Annie.
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »

Production wise the album is also really uneven. On some songs (If the World, Madagascar for example) the production is superb, on other songs (TWAT, Catcher) the production is relatively mediocre. What really seems mind boggling to me is the production of the drums. While the drums on some songs sound truly great, on some other songs (like TWAT) they sound so ?flat? and ?stale?, without any depth at all.

That's what happens when you give your album 100 face-lifts.  Most of these songs were written well before RIR3.  That would have been the best time to release this album.  God, I love the album, but why the wait and overproduction?  Seems pretty pointless.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »

That's what happens when you give your album 100 face-lifts.  Most of these songs were written well before RIR3.  That would have been the best time to release this album.  God, I love the album, but why the wait and overproduction?  Seems pretty pointless.

Could you be any more negative at such an unbelievably positive time?
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2008, 11:33:14 PM »

I'm making an honest observation.  I love the new album.  Most of the songs are killer.  I understand much of the delays were due to re-finishing the product.  After hearing the product, I'm not convinced 8 years of further production was truly necessary...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:13 PM »

After hearing the product, I'm not convinced 8 years of further production was truly necessary...

Well, it's certainly a good thing you weren't put in charge.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:49 PM »

Well I don't really think that all the work has been solely on this record, but to make sure the follow-ups down the line are in place, where there wont be 17 wait. And oh yeah btw, album rocks!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2008, 11:44:51 PM »

I'm making an honest observation.  I love the new album.  Most of the songs are killer.  I understand much of the delays were due to re-finishing the product.  After hearing the product, I'm not convinced 8 years of further production was truly necessary...

Ahh but you don't get to decide what was necessary or not. Maybe Axl didn't like the way it sounded 8 years ago? Maybe the album as it stands right now is exactly the way he wanted it? Who are we to decide what the finished product should sound like?
nateinthehon
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2008, 01:48:08 AM »

I'll have to say, when I started listening to the final version, via Myspace late this week, it took a few listens to get into the songs I had never heard. Sorry is really growing on me, as is This I Love. Neither I feel would make stand out radio singles however. The other 2 I had never heard, If The World and Prostitute, jumped out alittle more. If The World goes against what I dislike about some of the tracks on the album...I love the beats and all that is going on in the songs.

let me break it down

The Bad:
Shacklers Revenge. It sounds forced. I think underneath the unnecesary production there is a decent straight ahead rock song. It just sounds like it was made by a guy with nuthing but "precious time" on his hands. Go ahead an blast me, but this song would maybe be Ok covered by a 2 guitar, 1 bass and drum band via GNR 87-91. I just dont feel the anger and emotion that I should coming through my speakers

The Not So Good:
Catcher In The Rye I never understood the love affair with this song going back to the demo days. Too me its drawn out and kinda boring. I dont get any kind of emotional attachment. That too me is the theme of what makes a great song, especially GNR. The attitude, sorrow, bitterness..whatever the song has. The ability to take you to another place. I dont get it from this song. The reason I dont consider it bad, because it does have decent parts and ideas, but too me, I consider it a filler song.

Riad N' The Beduins Another one, that just coulda been better with a less is more production approach, ala Chinese Democracy. The jumping around just doesnt work in a short song that is ment to be a rocker. Plus I have no clue what the fuck Axl is getting at lyrically here

Verdict is Not In Yet
This I Love I did not get it at first. the more I listen the more I Like. I have a feeling I'll end up consideing this a homerun. I like the emothion, the lyrics, the piano, the solo. At first, it more caught me off guard, just being so different and raw, almost like a recital or something. I sounds like Axl recorded this in a 19th century mansion that was empty, pretty cool

The Good
Street Of Dreams Probably the 3rd or 4th most radio ready of the batch. I like the lyrics and piano. The Elton John bombastics of the hooks is a mild turnoff, but overall, good song, most Illusionish song of the bunch

I.R.S This song seems to always get mixed reviews from fans, and I see its the least played on there myspace player. I liked it from day 1, and it sounds good here on record. it will never be on my GNR GH list, but I like this song

Prostitute I love the "why would I choose to prostitute Myself" this song is one, I'll have to listen to with the lyrics to get even more into it.

The Great
Scraped I really dig this song. A great rocker. I think it seems to be underated from what I have been reading. I have a feeling in a few days, I'll consider it in the upper class of this album

Madagascar I first heard this song on the AOL stream live of RIR. I still remember being thrilled by the intro horns and the speeches in the middle. Over time some of the luster and magic has worn off for me. I think it is a tad overproduced on record here, some of the raw emotions that was displayed in the early days live(with the extra guitar feedback and what not was awesome, as was Buckets solo at Rio) is not captured. But still, it's a great song

If The World Where most of the time on this record, I thought it was overproduced and tinkered with TOO much, here I love it. Love the beats and the lyrics, Axls singing. It all works well together. Very cool idea that gets pulled off

The Home Runs
Chinese Democracy Love the guitars, the feel, the production, the emotion, the vocals...great song

Better The catchiest tune on the album, I have always liked it. I was shocked it was Robins only songwriting credit, maybe Axl shoulda listened to him more often. This should be the biggest radio performer and staple live

There Was A Time My favorite song. I love the middle, with Axl belting out the "There was a time, I would do anything for you" line. It is very powerful. The closest thing to Estranged for me. I like the mixed in beats and keys in the intro, just a perfect tune

Sorry I went from being dissapointed by this song to loving it. I dont think "Doom Metal" would be a good description. Axl sounds great and real here. This song has to be about Slash.

You know overall, its not really Guns N' Roses, but it is good and it's growing on me. There is a great line in Kill Bill 2, where Bud tells Elie that when you compare an Hatori Hanso(spell?) sword, you compare it to every sword that was not made by Hatori Hanso. I think that is what you have to do here. This is an Axl Rose record that you have to compare to other stuff not made by Axl Rose to determine if its good, great, shitty, whatever. Axl is the one that chose to hang the GNR hat on this record, and he just will always have to deal with the comparisons and critisim. I like the record. I dont think it has blown me away by any means. I can see it growing more on me(I wanna listen after a lefty, that always brings out the sounds of a complex record). On all this, on a 5 star scale, I'll say:

3.5/5
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2008, 02:15:43 AM »

I miss more reviews of the album as a whole, we've been reading song for song reviews for weeks now. I want final verdicts!

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2008, 02:32:39 AM »

Some thing for every one !

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
badapple81
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2008, 02:42:59 AM »

Nothing better than the journey of listening to an album when you can't stand a long and love it the next.

Great album. Axl is true to the history of the band by pushing it from one extreme to another. All the way from Catcher In The Rye (loving the finished version) to Better to Sorry (which is one of those songs that really grew on me all of a sudden and I appreciate). Scraped takes me back to Axl's vocals in the Crash Diet demo sometimes, and This I Love is just beautiful.

I'm not a huge fan of If The World.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: