Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227756 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 269981 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« on: January 07, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »

Pitchers and catchers report in a few weeks.

We still have a lot of things to sort out before the season starts.

There are free-agents to be signed, trades to be made, and we even have the World Baseball Classic coming up.

The MLB Network made its debut, how do you guys like it? 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »

Just remembered there was a new thread for '09.

Looks like the Red Sox have made a couple more minor moves with potential big payoff, reportedly close to adding Smoltz and Baldelli.  Smoltz has bigtime potential.  Yes he's getting up there in age, but he's still effective when healthy.  Of course health is a concern.  I don't think he'd be ready till midseason or so, but he'd be a welcomed addition for the stretch run.  They needed a 4th OF since they traded Crisp and Baldelli fits that mold just fine.  He can play any OF position and could be used to spell Ellsbury (?'ble performance) and Drew (injuries).  I just hope they don't need him to play a lot of consecutive games because last year due to his medical problems the Rays were hesitant to use him in back to back games.

A major league source who was in contact with John Smoltz on Wednesday night said the free agent will be calling the Braves on Thursday morning to tell them that he has decided to sign with the Red Sox.

MLB.com confirms that it'd be a $5.5 million deal with a chance to earn up to $10 million in incentives. Smoltz is 41 and he'll be coming off major shoulder surgery, but he could very well be another top-of-the-rotation starter for Boston. It's a big addition. Jan. 7 - 11:10 pm et
Source: Hot Stove Blog

The Red Sox are close to signing free agent Rocco Baldelli, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reports.

This has been an obvious fit since even before Coco Crisp was traded, given Boston's need for a right-handed-hitting outfielder and Baldelli's status as a New England native. The Pirates were also going after him and could have offered him more playing time. Still, Baldelli is probably a better fit as a reserve. Jan. 7 - 9:30 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »

Smoltz still wants to play?

He's been plagued with injuries for the last few years.  Seems like the Sox are making a big gamble.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »

It's a gamble, but I wouldn't call it a big gamble.  It's another low risk (only 5.5 million) high reward situation like with Brad Penny.  Potentially by seasons end they could have a rotation of 1) Beckett, 2) Lester, 3) Dice K, 4) Smoltz, 5) Penny.  Or they could choose to use Smoltz out of the pen, which he's accustomed to.  So they aren't banking on Smoltz, Penny, or Baldelli to save their season.  They're just pieces of the puzzle.  If they fit, they make the team that much better.  If they don't pan out, no harm is done.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »

I would keep Smoltz in the 'pen.  He only has one tendon keeping his arm in place.  hihi

On a stadium note, Shea has been pretty much reduced to a steel skeleton, while Renovated Yankee Stadium still stands.

Both of their new digs are coming along nicely.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:18:34 PM »

Well Shea sure likes nice...
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 11:07:34 PM »

Why what's the difference?  BTW Petite is a pussy!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:10:45 PM by JMack » Logged

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »

I would keep Smoltz in the 'pen.  He only has one tendon keeping his arm in place.  hihi

On a stadium note, Shea has been pretty much reduced to a steel skeleton, while Renovated Yankee Stadium still stands.

Renovated Yankee Stadium still stands as a hedge/safety net (albeit a stripped one).  Just in case ONE of the ballparks (and Shea looks more likely) isn't ready on time.  They could quickly make that park work for the short term while the "lagging" park is finished up.

I was a bit miffed that the Cubs exhibition tix didn't go on sale today with the Spring Training tix.  Hopefully soon.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »

I'd keep Smoltz in the pen...but that's just me.  I think it more likely you'd get your money's worth, since his innings would be significantly less (you'd think).

Smoltz could come back and have a great year...but he's coming off a pretty significant injury, and his arm is not what it once was.  I'm not sure you'll see a Smoltz able to put up 200+ innings with an approx 3.00 ERA, which he did in '05 - '07.  You never know..and I agree, it's significant reward compared to the risk they're taking.  But given his age, and the injury....I'd be shocked if he were the pitcher he was even a couple years ago.

He's certainly crafty, and if there's one guy who knows how to pitch (and not just throw hard), it's him.  And Mussina proved last year that you don't need velocity to win 20 games, so we'll see.  But again, I don't see him as a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over what they had last year in the 4 or 5 hole of their rotation, at least not right now knowing what we know.  He would be an upgrade out of the pen over some of the guys used last year (not Okajima or Paplebon, obviously...but certainly most of the rest) and it that would make the Sox bullpen quite a bit more formidable.

I DO think it's telling that the Braves let him go, though.  I wonder if they've seen something in his rehab that had them spooked.  Considering the $$ amount that got him to go to Boston....you gotta wonder why the Braves didn't pony up similar dollars if they thought he could contribute to the club.

Together again,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 04:59:09 PM »

Renovated Yankee Stadium still stands as a hedge/safety net (albeit a stripped one).  Just in case ONE of the ballparks (and Shea looks more likely) isn't ready on time.  They could quickly make that park work for the short term while the "lagging" park is finished up.

I was a bit miffed that the Cubs exhibition tix didn't go on sale today with the Spring Training tix.  Hopefully soon.

I don't comprehend.

Citi Field is pretty much done. 

The reason they are keeping RYS up is because they are shooting a movie there.  The Yankees will play at the new stadium across the street.  They are behind Citi, but the Stadium is going to be fully operational by 2/17/08. 

I don't know if they will have Shea flattened by April though.  Not only do they have to clean that mess up, but they have to use that space for parking.  I don't know how they will fill the grade left by the footprint of Shea and have the area paved in time.

Parking is going to be even worse in the Bronx.  There was supposed to be a new parking garage where RYS stands.  Although I'm hoping they at least go the Tiger Stadium route and preserve the infield and a part of the structure.  The gate 4 area is what I'm hoping they save.

Misfits 138
Headliner

who came along for the ride???

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:48:49 AM »

so im looking forward to the new season to get underway, the yankees would be interesting to watch this year, because CC dosent pitch well in the cold,  but we will see how long the yankees fans will give him before they start booing him off the mound.

im really really really looking forward to the cubs this year! i was the the nlds game 2 and it was a sad time for me, but i can tell zambrano wasnt too happy, but truthfully that was not his fault for the things in that game...its not his fault every infielder commited an error, or that soriano and ramierez forgot how to hit.  but hopefully we do much much better in the post season in 2009, i have high hopes, ive always liked milton bradley and i like aaron miles who can also pitch if asked. im looking forward to the new season to see this new team. i was sad to see kerry wood go, but i guess thats business, same to derosa...i was happy to see marquis go, hopefully it helpes get peavy or another starting pitcher.  i still see the cubs winning the division by about 20 games, the brewers dont have cc or sheets this year, and the only offseason move the cards have really done was get greene. so it seems easy to get it done this year, espically with more of a balance of hitting.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 02:53:40 AM »

Milton Bradley is a team killer dude.  Just a bad person to have in the clubhouse.
Misfits 138
Headliner

who came along for the ride???

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

according to all the players they have asked he is a good clubhouse type of guy. its the media/sometimes the fans that get him angry. from all accounts from different players he has been a great team mate. last year in texas milton bradley because very good firends with josh hamilton. from all accounts from players bradley is a good guy. and even gerald perry who is the cubs hitting coach who had a run in with bradley before he said bradley felt guilty after it and they became friends after it. plus...who isnt a clubhouse killer?? Jim Edmonds was labeled as such, so was Manny Ramirez,  Moises Alou, Roger Clemens, Mark Grace, and Mike Piazza were all said to be team killers and clubhouse cancers for years! i have many sports illustrated issues saying such! its all what the press has you believe. caus from all the other players perspectives all these people have been incredible team mates.  the line of "bullshit and contemplation, gossips there trade, if they knew half the real truth, what would they say?" applies here...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »

I don't comprehend.

Citi Field is pretty much done. 

The reason they are keeping RYS up is because they are shooting a movie there.  The Yankees will play at the new stadium across the street.  They are behind Citi, but the Stadium is going to be fully operational by 2/17/08. 

The reason RYS is still up was as a safety net.  That's according to the city of New York, the Yankee organization, and the Mets organization. Demo was scheduled AFTER Shea, and relatively "late", as a precaution.  Citi got behind, early...though I think they've since caught up most of the way on the timeline.

Yes, they're filming at RYS.  Yes, Citi is likely going to be operational in time for the regular season opener.  But they left ONE stadium up and able to be "rushed" into service if necessary, just in case. It doesn't look like the contingency will be necessary.  IF it IS necessary, it would be for Citi...since New Yankee Stadium is pretty much done.  Citi is not quite so far along.  I'm not saying it's likely they'll have to, but that's why they didn't stat demo on RYS and they DID on Shea.  Shea was actually in worse shape, and the couple of accidents over the past couple years.....they decided that RYS would be the better park to preserve "just in case".

I don't know if they will have Shea flattened by April though.  Not only do they have to clean that mess up, but they have to use that space for parking.  I don't know how they will fill the grade left by the footprint of Shea and have the area paved in time.

Demo is scheduled to continue throuh June, I think, at Shea...and they might go longer than that.  I also don't think it's scheduled to be "parking" til next season.

Parking is going to be even worse in the Bronx.  There was supposed to be a new parking garage where RYS stands.  Although I'm hoping they at least go the Tiger Stadium route and preserve the infield and a part of the structure.  The gate 4 area is what I'm hoping they save.

The parking structure at RYS wasn't scheduled to open til next year, either.  I can't remember what the plans for the field were....I'll check and let you know.  I half remember that THAT piece of the structure/park is going to be preserved and used as a park for the neighborhood....but I can't remember if that made it into the final plans or not....or if they did a land swap at the end and went another route.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:19:39 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

Red Sox made move to help bolster bullpen by reportedly signing Takashi Saito from the Dodgers.  Another low risk high reward type move.  Seems to be the theme of their off-season.  It's possible these moves could make the team better and more well rounded.  It's also possible none of the moves work out and they're pretty much the same as last year.  Then again, that's not a bad thing for a team that was one game from the World Series.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/01/report_sox_sign_1.html

The Red Sox have signed free-agent reliever Takashi Saito to a one-year contract with a team option for 2010, the Globe's Adam Kilgore learned earlier today. The Sox officially announced the signing in a press release this afternoon.

The deal includes a guarantee between $1.5 million and $2.5 million, according to FOXsports.com's Ken Rosenthal. Saito will have the chance to earn more than $7 million if he reaches all of his incentives. Rosenthal reports that Saito has already passed his physical.

The 39-year-old Saito spent parts of the last three seasons as the Dodgers closer, saving 39 games for Los Angeles in 2007. The righthander missed significant time last season with a sprained ligament in his elbow, and the Dodgers did not offer him a contract for 2009, making him a free agent. With Jonathan Papelbon cemented in the closer's role for the Sox, Saito figures to be a mid-to-late inning reliever in Boston.

The Globe's Nick Cafardo had this bit on Saito in last week's baseball notes:

The Red Sox made an offer to the former Dodgers closer earlier this winter. Saito has battled elbow issues, but the feeling of teams whose doctors have reviewed Saito's medical records is that he might be able to pitch, though not as a closer. While Saito, who will be 39 Feb. 14, won't be in demand, he might warrant a spring training invitation. Saito missed about two months for the Dodgers and was diagnosed with a partially torn tendon in his elbow, but he took an experimental injection instead of opting for Tommy John surgery and was able to make six appearances in September.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

OK, you know I don't particularly care for the Yanks, but I will tell you that NYS is wayyyy behind compared to Citi.  Citi is like, for the lack of a better word, DONE.

The workers at NYS are working round the clock to get the Stadium ready by 2/17.  They still haven't moved the offices into the new building.  The luxury suites are covered in bubble wrap on the outside.  The flooring hasn't even begun to take shape in the Great Hall.  Steinbrenner's suite is just starting to take shape.

The dugouts aren't even ready!  The outfield wall padding has just started going up.  (It's a very dark blue.)

I don't get why the outfield padding is BLACK at Citi.  What a dumb move.  A black wall in a stadium with green seats.

The OYS/RYS site was slated to be parkland, but they scrapped those plans to put up a parking garage.  What they are gonna do is put up a ballfield on the roof of the said parking garage.  Of course, lawsuits are being filed so who knows what will end up happening.  I still hope they will preserve the infield and the outer shell around Gate 4.  They could maybe tear down that God-awful escalator pod in the front.

The only things that have left RYS are the monuments and plaques.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »

OK, you know I don't particularly care for the Yanks, but I will tell you that NYS is wayyyy behind compared to Citi.  Citi is like, for the lack of a better word, DONE.

Then things have changed drastically in the past 3 weeks, as far as where the two stadiums are in relation to each of their proposed schedules (not in relation to each other, or what's physically apparent by external inspection).  NYS was right on schedule going into the holidays (remember, they have, if they need it, until the end of March)...exterior construction is done, I think most (if not all) of the interior construction is pretty much done (I think the retail space might need fleshing out, still), finish work is pretty much all that remains...and finish is MUCH quicker because you can have 10 crews working simultaneously on 10 different things.  Citi lagged early, but had "mostly" caught up by the week before X-mas.  That's from the reports I've read (both from the City, from Turner Construction,in relation to NYS, and from HOK sport, in terms of Citi) about the 2 ball parks.   Citi's initial delay was an issue with materials and procurement (and was fixed in one case by changing suppliers and in the other by the city exerting some "pressure").  I suppose HOK Sport could have been wrong about the delay..since Hunt/Bovis is actually overseeing construction and HOK isn't involved in the day to day...but  that's what they've said.  It's one of the reasons the team has used to justify asking for more bonding, too.  They had to increase labor costs in order to "catch up".

Offices haven't moved into NYS because they haven't been scheduled to move..til February.  They were saying that back in September, when the season ended.  I don't think the date has changed any since then...if it has, it's only by a couple/few days.  By all accounts of those touring the facilities..they're basically done, with some finishing touches being left until closer to move date for efficiency sake.

The workers at NYS are working round the clock to get the Stadium ready by 2/17.  They still haven't moved the offices into the new building.  The luxury suites are covered in bubble wrap on the outside.  The flooring hasn't even begun to take shape in the Great Hall.  Steinbrenner's suite is just starting to take shape.

Again, none of that is supposed to be done, yet.  Neither were the offices.  The plan has always been to move mid-February, so they could do it "en masse", rather than piece mail, or having to go to temp office space and then drib and drab into the new facility.  I also don't think the entire stadium is slated, or needs, to be ready by 2/17.  Just the office areas.  Again, from the reports I've read, I thought the "official" opening was slated for sometime in March (ribbon cutting)? 

The dugouts aren't even ready!  The outfield wall padding has just started going up.  (It's a very dark blue.)

The dugouts are "done" in terms of construction.  They're not outfitted, as far as finish work goes...but then some of that is best left until you have more stable weather to work in...and some of it simply doesn't need to be done til you're closer to needing to USE the field. 

I don't get why the outfield padding is BLACK at Citi.  What a dumb move.  A black wall in a stadium with green seats.

The OYS/RYS site was slated to be parkland, but they scrapped those plans to put up a parking garage.  What they are gonna do is put up a ballfield on the roof of the said parking garage.  Of course, lawsuits are being filed so who knows what will end up happening.  I still hope they will preserve the infield and the outer shell around Gate 4.  They could maybe tear down that God-awful escalator pod in the front.

I thought so, but wanted to confirm.  The above is correct.  They did a land swap deal (the Yanks bought some other land, and handed THAT to the city for parkland, as part of the agreement), sort of.

The only things that have left RYS are the monuments and plaques.

Yup, that's my point.  Well, SOME other stuff has left, too.  Fixtures have been ripped out in some places, some of the player, trainer, storage and office areas have been all but stripped.  But MOST of the fan areas of the stadium COULD be outfitted and pressed into service on relatively short notice, if they had to.

Again, I'm not saying it WILL BE NECESSARY for them to use the contingency plan...only that it existed. Those at the top of the food chain looked at both the city's teams being "homeless" due to construction and realized that could be a BAD thing if something were to go wrong.  It's looking like BOTH parks will be ready in time, barring some sort of unforseen event.  But that was rather the point in their plan:  Just in case something unforseen happened to one project or the other.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:04:52 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »

Well, whether they were "supposed" to be done or not isn't the question.  I'm just saying Citi wrapped things up faster.

Remember, they moved everything to Citi right after the closure of Shea.  Lock, stock, and barrel. 

I am also taking into consideration that construction for NYS is, for a lack of a better term, a bitch.  New Yankee Stadium's footprint is about twice as large as the edifice across the street.  There are a lot of details involved.  They have just barely started putting in the large posters of Yankee greats in the Great Hall.  We have no details about the Yankee steakhouse or the Hard Rock. 

I'm not saying they won't have things ready on time.  But they are cutting it close.  They'll be ready to host the Cubs for those pre-season games.

I guess you can call the dugout "ready" if you consider it to be a hole in the ground and not much more.

They have yet to put up advertising around the big board in centerfield.

Small details, I know.  And as long as the heavy work is done, there is nothing to worry about.  Most of these pieces are made elsewhere and they just need to be shipped and the workers will have them installed in a snap.  I just want a smooth transition.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 07:46:23 AM »

Well, whether they were "supposed" to be done or not isn't the question.  I'm just saying Citi wrapped things up faster.

Actually, when it comes to construction and project management...."supposed to be done" is all that REALLY does matter.

Together again,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: