Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 270392 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1360 on: December 15, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »

Apparently it might take Buchholz, a prospect, AND Ellsbury to get Adrian Gonzalez.  And honestly I don't even know if that would even be enough or if the Red Sox would even entertain the idea.  However, interesting that they just signed a gold glove caliber CF, so they do have a built in replacement.  One of the ESPN guys also mentioned that IF they did make that deal they'd try to sign a right handed hitting OF to platoon with Jeremy Hermida in LF, and cited Xavier Nady as a possibility. 

If that all went down the Sox would be looking at a lineup like this.

Scutaro SS
Pedroia 2B
Youkilis 3B
Gonzalez 1B
Martinez C
Ortiz DH
Drew RF
Cameron CF
Hermida/Nady LF

And even with losing Buchholz they'd still have Dice K and Wakefield to round out the rotation.  Interesting.  I'd hate to give up Ellsbury but to get a guy like Gonzalez maybe it's worth it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1361 on: December 15, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »

Wasn't aware Beckett was a free agent after this season, that puts a different (better) spin on the signing of Lackey. 

Could prove to be a smart move on down the line.

Gonzalez would be a great addition.  If I'm Theo, I send Bucholz, Ellsbury and whomever else they want to get him - based on them being able to extend Gonzalez of course.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1362 on: December 15, 2009, 10:40:51 PM »

Yeah, we'll see.  As far as I know, Gonzalez is still in his rookie contract and isn't due to hit free agency for at least a couple more years.  So he's good AND cheap, for now.  With that being the case, it really doesn't make much sense for the Padres to trade him unless they are completely blown away.  I think a package of Buchholz, Ellsbury, prospect(s) is more than fair though. 

It seems pretty clear to me the Sox will have to make a trade for a bat sometime this off season or during next season if they want to be a contender.  They just don't have enough offense right now.  They've been high on Gonzalez for some time, and he's probably the best hitter they could go after.  So it would make sense to me.  Steep price, but I think it'd be worth it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1363 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »

I love lackey...but i still think becket and lester are afraid of him in the rotation. As a yankee fan i can say that of those 3 Lester pitches the best against us regularly. Becket has had some great starts against us (2003 world seris Game 6) but Lester is consistently great against us

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1364 on: December 16, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »

I love lackey...but i still think becket and lester are afraid of him in the rotation. As a yankee fan i can say that of those 3 Lester pitches the best against us regularly. Becket has had some great starts against us (2003 world seris Game 6) but Lester is consistently great against us

Not sure why Beckett or Lester would be "afraid" of Lackey, both have much better "stuff" than Lackey by a long shot.  Lester may be the filthiest lefthander in the big leagues, I'd bet he ends up with a Cy Young and a no no or 2 along the way.

Wasn't sure about Gonzalez's contract situation, if he is indeed under the control of the Pads for a couple more years the RedSox will have to totally overwhelm them with an offer.

And I agree, they don't have "enough" (yet) to contend with the Yanks in the division, I fully expect Theo to do a thing or 2 more before spring training..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1365 on: December 16, 2009, 09:37:21 AM »

Not sure why Beckett or Lester would be "afraid" of Lackey, both have much better "stuff" than Lackey by a long shot.  Lester may be the filthiest lefthander in the big leagues, I'd bet he ends up with a Cy Young and a no no or 2 along the way.

Wasn't sure about Gonzalez's contract situation, if he is indeed under the control of the Pads for a couple more years the RedSox will have to totally overwhelm them with an offer.

And I agree, they don't have "enough" (yet) to contend with the Yanks in the division, I fully expect Theo to do a thing or 2 more before spring training..
Lester had a no hitter against the Royals back in 2008.  Amazing he's made such a great comeback after the car accident and cancer scare, which was found out because of the accident.  Blessing in disguise.

I'm sure the Sox will make some more moves, but I wouldn't say it'll be for sure before the season starts.  It's possible they could go into the season with Kotchman at 1B, Youk at 3B, Cameron in LF, and Ellsbury in CF.  Then they can try and tread water for as long as possible.  See how far pitching and defense can take them, and once they find out they NEED another bat they can make a deal.

Their payroll is in excess of 160 mil now I believe so I wouldn't think they'd be too active in free agency anymore.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1366 on: December 16, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »

Looks like the Cards/Dave Duncan are eyeing another reclamation project in Chien-Ming Wang..

Pilf - what's the story on this guy???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:38:21 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #1367 on: December 16, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »

Yankees didn't offer him a contact, didn't think he was due what he would get in arbitration and such.

Could be a great pickup, win another 19 games, but he could also be the same as last year and leave everything up and get pounded.
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1368 on: December 16, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »

Lester had a no hitter against the Royals back in 2008.  Amazing he's made such a great comeback after the car accident and cancer scare, which was found out because of the accident.  Blessing in disguise.

I'm sure the Sox will make some more moves, but I wouldn't say it'll be for sure before the season starts.  It's possible they could go into the season with Kotchman at 1B, Youk at 3B, Cameron in LF, and Ellsbury in CF.  Then they can try and tread water for as long as possible.  See how far pitching and defense can take them, and once they find out they NEED another bat they can make a deal.

Their payroll is in excess of 160 mil now I believe so I wouldn't think they'd be too active in free agency anymore.

I meant to say Ahead  of him in the rotation. Not afraid of him. I was a little drunk last night lol  hihi

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1369 on: December 16, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »

Yankees didn't offer him a contact, didn't think he was due what he would get in arbitration and such.

Could be a great pickup, win another 19 games, but he could also be the same as last year and leave everything up and get pounded.

Interesting..

For whatever reason, Duncan really likes him...

Personally, I think one guy who needs "fixed" (Penny) is plenty..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1370 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »

Interesting..

For whatever reason, Duncan really likes him...

Personally, I think one guy who needs "fixed" (Penny) is plenty..
Strength in numbers.  Chances are both guys won't work out, so you hope at least one does.  The Sox tried last year with both Penny and Smoltz and both were released.  Not everyone can be fixed.  I'd have more faith in Wang than Penny, even though he was awful last year.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1371 on: December 16, 2009, 10:01:34 PM »

Strength in numbers.  Chances are both guys won't work out, so you hope at least one does. 

You've got a good point although as a fan, I wish they'd just sign/trade for someone who wasn't coming off an injury or in serious need of a mechanical makeover...

End of the decade lists are popping up, here's a link to ESPN's Rob Neyer Top 100 of the OO"s.

As Neyer says in the prelude to the list:

"Generally, my advice on these matters is to avoid taking these things too seriously ..."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=4740695
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:05:17 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1372 on: December 17, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »

Looks like the Cards/Dave Duncan are eyeing another reclamation project in Chien-Ming Wang..

Pilf - what's the story on this guy???

Power-sinker guy who throws in the low to mid 90's.  Location and delivery are KEY for him, as he's not going to overpower anyone, even when he was at his best.

The problem is this:  Even before his injury in '08, he had started to, on occasion, leave the ball up...meaning he was throwing a flat (and fat) fastball.  He wasn't doing it often, but more often than you'd like.

Then, he got hurt.  Worse yet, it was his plant foot.  And since spring training of last year, he hasn't been able to match his delivery AT ALL.  It's been scary bad.  Combine that with the fact he lost 2 to 3 mph off his fast ball.  When you're used to throwing 92 to 94 mph power sinkers, and suddenly you're throwing 90-92 mph fastballs that don't sink...it's not good.   And the reasoning behind it has been shaky.  First they said it was his hip muscles weren't strong enough, then it was "all mental", then it was a shoulder issue (which ultimately needed surgery).  The guy just has NOT looked good and honestly....I was never all that confident that anyone actually knew WHY.  The shoulder thing almost seemed like it was found by accident.

You may get lucky, and the guy comes back as the 19 game winner he was before.  I actually hope that's the case as the guy was money for the Yanks for a few seasons and I wish nothing but the best for him.  But the risk wasn't worth going to arbitration and paying the guy anther 6 to 8 million per for the Yanks.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1373 on: December 17, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »

No more word from Cards camp if Wang's still on their radar but from what you guys have said, he maybe too far gone for even Duncan to take on...

Thanks for the insight fellas.

A nice article featuring Cards latest fixer upper (Penny) can be read here:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/1F1092E5D70142948625768F00088BC1?OpenDocument

At least he's saying all the right things..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1374 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »

Saw the Yanks were taking a look at Nick Johnson as an alternative to Damon, looks like they're not blinking in the Johnny Damon stairdown..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1375 on: December 17, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »

Saw the Yanks were taking a look at Nick Johnson as an alternative to Damon, looks like they're not blinking in the Johnny Damon stairdown..

I hope not.  I'd rather they call up Montero and use him at DH.  Johnson is perpetually injured.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1376 on: December 17, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »

I hope not.  I'd rather they call up Montero and use him at DH.  Johnson is perpetually injured.

Is Montero even an option?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1377 on: December 18, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »

I heard the Yanks reached a one year deal with Johnson.  Like pilferk said, the guy is perpetually injured.  He'll hit well for a stint, then get hurt and repeat that sequence throughout the season.  He's a dropoff from Damon.  The Mariners are said to be interested in Johnny D now.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1378 on: December 18, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »

Sorry, brain fart.  MIRANDA.  Not Montero.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1379 on: December 18, 2009, 07:51:09 AM »

I heard the Yanks reached a one year deal with Johnson.  Like pilferk said, the guy is perpetually injured.  He'll hit well for a stint, then get hurt and repeat that sequence throughout the season.  He's a dropoff from Damon.  The Mariners are said to be interested in Johnny D now.

The one great unknown is this:  If he's going to DH, pretty much exclusively (maybe get 1 start a week at 1B?), will his propensity for injury continue.  That's what you don't know.

Statistically speaking, from an offense perspective, he's not that steep a drop from Damon. 

Damon's career #: .288 BA, .355 OB%, .489 Slg%, .854 OPS

Johnson's career: .273 BA, .402 OB%, .447 Slg%, .849 OPS.

Johnny has had more power last year, hitting 24 HR's to Johnson's 8...but it's generally acknowledged that Johnny was aided by the new Stadium a bit.  I can see Nick hitting 15-20 if he's playing at YS.  And he's a decent fit in the 2 hole.  Otherwise, statistically, Nick's season was almost a mirror image of Damon's.

Nick's definitely a drop off...no arguing that.  I guess we'll see how much of one, assuming Johnny isn't going to be a Yankee, in 2010.

As for Johnny going to the M's...if they're willing to give him a 4 year, 13 million per deal.....they can have him.  He's just not worth that amount of money for that term.  Too risky.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:55:34 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: