Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:35:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227757 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 270018 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1380 on: December 18, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »

As for Johnny going to the M's...if they're willing to give him a 4 year, 13 million per deal.....they can have him.  He's just not worth that amount of money for that term.  Too risky.

My thoughts exactly, no way in hell I'd go anything over 2 years for Damon and surely not at the 13 per they're wanting...

Whatever they lose production wise with Johnson (if that's the direction they go) they may just make up with Granderson - he's got a chance to hit 40 at Yankee Stadium.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1381 on: December 18, 2009, 09:44:01 AM »

As for Johnny going to the M's...if they're willing to give him a 4 year, 13 million per deal.....they can have him.  He's just not worth that amount of money for that term.  Too risky.

My thoughts exactly, no way in hell I'd go anything over 2 years for Damon and surely not at the 13 per they're wanting...

Whatever they lose production wise with Johnson (if that's the direction they go) they may just make up with Granderson - he's got a chance to hit 40 at Yankee Stadium.

The nice thing about getting Johnson in the lineup is it means you don't have to bat Granderson or Swisher (who both strike out a lot) in the two hole (again, assuming that Johnny's not coming back).  You drop Johnson in there, for one year, and he fits nicely.  It allows them to go with this lineup:

Jeter
Johnson
Tex
A-rod
Granderson
Posada
Cano
Swisher
Melky

That's one heck of an order, 1 to 9.  Granted, you slot Damon into the above 2 hole, and it would be BETTER.  But I'm not sure the difference is worth Damon's asking price. 

And you've lowered the payroll of that lineup by roughly 12 to 13 million for this year, and you're left with about 18 million per going into NEXT year to play with JUST from your lineup.

That' a long way toward signing someone like Mauer.  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:47:05 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1382 on: December 18, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »

Nick Johnson's not a bad player, he just always gets hurt.  Maybe you're right though.  DH'ing, could lessen his injury problems.  IF he can stay healthy, I agree, he's almost equal to Damon offensively.  But he's never been able to stay healthy, so I wouldn't count on him all of a sudden doing it now.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1383 on: December 18, 2009, 06:43:27 PM »

Personally, I like the signing of Johnson.

He might not be the most reliable "everyday" guy option but in a DH role, he's a good fit.  He's gonna get on base (like a .425 OBP) and he's gonna score runs.

I think his signing also sends a message, the Yanks are not waiting on anyone.  They're making deals, not playing the waiting (Boras) game then making educated decisions on their timetable.

On a Phils note, heard an interview with Cliff Lee on MLB Hot Stove.  Sounded like a guy who wanted to stay in Philly big time.  Looks like a fifth year could've been the sticking point...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1384 on: December 19, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

According to Peter Gammons, the Sox apparently offered the following to Bay and Holliday before signing Lackey.

http://twitter.com/pgammo

"Boston ecstatic with Lackey. Before he stepped foward, Sox offered 4x$15M to Bay and 5x$16.5 to Holliday."
about 23 hours ago from web

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:05:39 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1385 on: December 19, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »

According to Peter Gammons, the Sox apparently offered the following to Bay and Holliday before signing Lackey.

http://twitter.com/pgammo

"Boston ecstatic with Lackey. Before he stepped foward, Sox offered 4x$15M to Bay and 5x$16.5 to Holliday."
about 23 hours ago from web

Yeah, Buster Olney said the same thing.  They offered Holliday the same exact contract they gave to Lackey.  I guess they were pretty determined to get at least one of the big 3.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1386 on: December 19, 2009, 01:21:21 PM »

Yeah, Buster Olney said the same thing.  They offered Holliday the same exact contract they gave to Lackey.  I guess they were pretty determined to get at least one of the big 3.

No doubt about it.

I like the Sox offseason philosophy as well, both they and the Yankees are getting their house in order and moving forward at their pace.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:24:45 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1387 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »

Nick Johnson's not a bad player, he just always gets hurt.  Maybe you're right though.  DH'ing, could lessen his injury problems.  IF he can stay healthy, I agree, he's almost equal to Damon offensively.  But he's never been able to stay healthy, so I wouldn't count on him all of a sudden doing it now.

I agree, 100%.  I don't expect him to stay healthy...BUT, can see how he might considering his role as a DH.  He can also, on occasion, be pressed into duty in the OF, and he can spell Tex at 1B occasionally.  Gives them some flexibility. 

And they have Miranda waiting in the wings, should Johnson get hurt.  He can do a spell at DH, if necessary.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1388 on: December 21, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »

The Mike Lowell trade is now off and he'll be returning to Boston.  Or will he?  Can he?  I mean they've tried to trade him the last 2 years and he was basically out the door this time.  Now he's coming back, and the thumb injury that scared Texas off really isn't all that serious.  He's gonna have surgery and be ready for spring training.  I think they just got cold feet after taking some time to think about it and decided they didn't want him, even with the reported 9 million the Sox were willing to pay.

Personally I wouldn't mind having him back.  He can still hit, and would make the lineup a little stronger.  He can't move very well at 3B anymore though and may have to make the switch to 1B.  It could be an awkward situation though.  It's clear to everyone that the Red Sox really don't want Lowell anymore.  Aside from the trade talks he was upset with them last year for playing him too much out of the gate when he was recovering from hip surgery.  Then after they acquired Victor Martinez, he was upset he was part of a rotation and felt they didn't play him enough.  He's a standup guy, but it won't be easy for him to walk back through the door with a smile on his face as if nothing ever happened.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: