Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227798 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 185882 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« on: March 05, 2009, 07:35:59 AM »

What's going on, no NFL talk during the off season?  Lots of stuff has been happening.  Giants loading up on their D line depth.  Pats trading Cassel/Vrabel for a 2nd rounder which had lots of people up in arms.  For the record, I was fine with the deal.  But last night, a bit of a shocker.  Terrell Owens released by the Cowboys.  Who's gonna take a chance on this malcontent THIS time?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:03:09 AM »

It's about time "Team Obliterator" was dumped by the Dallas Cowboys! Another positive step taken during the off season.  yes

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »

I hope the Pats sign a corner. I would perfer them signing Leigh Bodden, who played pretty well 2 years ago for romeo in cleveland but was part of the Shaun Rogers trade and of course sucked it up in Detroit. Maybe under a similar system in New England he could excell. He already met with them and left. Hopefully market dictates what the patriots are offering.

They also met with Shawn Springs. I think a solid veteran at the position could help Wilhite and Wheatley. Someone like Springs could make a difference for those guys. But he also met with the eagles. Again we'll see what market dictates and if the Patriots offer is close.

I find it hard to believe that Bill got soft and did a "favor" for Scott and the chiefs. Bottom line is when the Patriots first franchised Cassel they called Detriot and they said no thanks. They called others and teams said no thanks. I agree with some people out there that say the process was too far along for them to go back on the Chiefs. I also agree that not working out a contract with Cassel helped the Chiefs. The Patriots weren't gonna say no to the Chiefs, delay it longer, only for contract talks with other teams to go sour. Vrabel is towards the end of his career. We got a great second round pick for Cassel/Vrabel and now have 3 second rounders to work with.

Patriots also met with Joey Galloway to replace Gaffeny. Gaffney played great for us and I will miss him. But Galloway is a solid reciever I think still has something left in the tank. Would be a great 3rd reciever next to Moss and Welker. Hell you could even put it Moss/Galloway and put Welker back in the slot.

T.O. gone from the cowboys is not surprizing. I thought it was just a matter of time. When you have a laid back coach like Phillips, who lost control of other teams, a strong polarizing personality like Owens is never gonna work. But I guarantee you somone will sign him. I have dreams of this guys talent. Imagine for a second Randy Moss, Owens, Welker for brady to throw to. Its a great fantasy but damn this fucker is a cancer.

Am I the only person alive who thinks Cutler is over-rated? Everyone is proclaiming this guy a great QB, saying how could denver even think about trading him. I hated the pick when they made it. 12th in the draft was way to high for him. I don't think his career will be outstanding. His decision making skills are not the best. He's definetly not on my top 5 list of qbs in the league. In no paticular order there are a bunch of quaterbacks I think are better than Jay Cutler or will be. Brady, Manning, McNabb, Warner, Rivers, Rothlessandwich, Romo, Ryan, Hasselback just off the top of my head. Notice Cassell is not on that list but I think it says something for Cassell's talent if Josh was really interested in him. I'm not saying Cutler is horrible I just dont think this guy should be talked about as one of the best QB's in the leauge. smoking
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:35:57 AM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »

TO was a cancer. Finally the voices of reason prevailed and convince Jerry to do the right thing. Chemistry cannot be underestimated. I would expect the Boys to be better for releasing this malcontent. Think about it: they swallowed a $9.6 million contract just to be rid of him. That speaks volumes.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »

Haynesworth will be a beast on the d-line for the 'skins.

What's the deal with Plaxico?  Why isn't he in jail? 

I agree with high_times, there was no hanky-panky with the Cassel/Vrabel deal.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »

If you think about it, at least the Pats got a high 2nd round pick for Cassel/Vrabel while the Cowboys got nothing but cap space by releasing TO.  Granted it wouldn't have been easy to trade him, but some team will eventually pick him up, I'm sure they could've gotten something for him.  He is one of the best WR's ever, of course his track record for being a malcontent is also way up there.  But as long as he's putting up the numbers a team will take the chance.

Pats signed Shawn Springs yesterday to help bolster the secondary.  Not sure how much he has left in the tank.  Haven't really seen him play in recent years.  He's got to be a major contributor right away though, not too much competition back there.  Also acquired Greg Lewis from the Eagles in a trade.  Not a huge deal there, at this point he'd be in line to step in for Jabar Gafney as the 3rd WR.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:53:52 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »

TO was a cancer. Finally the voices of reason prevailed and convince Jerry to do the right thing. Chemistry cannot be underestimated. I would expect the Boys to be better for releasing this malcontent. Think about it: they swallowed a $9.6 million contract just to be rid of him. That speaks volumes.

The guy has been a cancer everywhere he goes. I would love nothing more for him not to play in 2009 or better yet, ever again.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 AM »

So T.O. is now a Buffalo Bill. That really surprised me. I think that just goes to show that there weren't many teams interested in him (at least not good teams anyway). Generally T.O. tends to be on better behavior during his first year with a team, but I just don't see this working out. Trent Edwards is decent, I guess, but nothing special. It won't take long before Owens is throwing him under the same bus he threw Garcia, McNabb, and Romo.

When he's an old man, I wonder if Owens will look back on his career and see how much he threw away. He's one of the most talented WRs of all time, and he's still put up great stats, but he could've accomplished so much more in his career if he hadn't been such a dickhead. He'll always be known for his drama and selfish antics than for his playing ability. But maybe he's cool with that. Who knows?

Here Today . . .
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »

I'm not surprised at all that an owner has shown their stupidity once again and picked up Team Obliterator. It took at team like Buffalo who hasn't even been relevant in the NFL for a very long time to make an ignorant move like this. I hope T.O. goes up there and acts like the selfish asshole this guy has always been and destroys any team chemistry they might have.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »

I feel bad for Trent Edwards.  TO tore apart QB's much better than him, I can only imagine how their relationship will be, especially when Buffalo is plodding along at the bottom of the AFC East.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »

Actually we took a 9 million dollar Cap hit releasing TO

NE's trade was fine. it was a salary dump for a good pick that they can turn into something. I honestly don't think this is an amazing draft, so really pick 34 and pick 12 skill wise probably won't be that big of a difference.

also that gives them cap space to go after Julius Peppers or someone

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »

The thought right now is the Pats won't make any huge splashes in free agency.  Their main focus right now is locking up Vince Wilfork.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »

The Bills are getting a hell of a deal with TO.

TO = fannies in seats.  If Buffalo wants to keep an NFL team, TO will keep 'em filled.

TO also acts as a lightning rod to protect Marshawn Lynch's gun charges and hit n' runs.  Hell, Marshawn could go O.J. on an ex, and the reporters still wouldn't leave TO beside his locker.  hihi

Did I mention that even at his advanced age, he's a top-10 receiver?

For many teams (Dallas included) TO's a liability...on a 1 year deal in Buffalo, he's an asset.  Wink

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 09:33:08 AM »

i love that the national media picked up on this story. eagles management make it hard to love the team. the outrage is philly over losing B-Dawk is incredible. he's one of the most beloved philly sports players of all time.

Facebook post gets worker fired

A Facebook post criticizing his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles, cost a stadium operations worker his job, according to a story in Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Dan Leone, who the Inquirer said worked as a west gate chief, was unhappy the team let Brian Dawkins sign with the Denver Broncos in free agency. According to the newspaper, Leone posted the following on his Facebook page: "Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver ... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!"

Despite deleting the comment, Leone told the Inquirer the Eagles fired him by phone days later.

"I shouldn't have put it up there," Leone said, according to the Inquirer. "I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn't offend any one person or target a specific individual. I was just upset that we lost such a great guy. Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake."

Leone said he was shocked to lose his job of six years.

"I apologized for it," Leone said, according to the paper. "I apologized 20 million times. I never bad-mouthed the organization before. I made one mistake and they terminate me? And they couldn't even bring me into the office to talk to me? They had to do it over the phone? At least look me in the eye. To get done dirty like this, I can't believe it. I'm devastated."

The Eagles confirmed that Leone was a part-time staff member, but didn't comment further.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »

I feel bad for Trent Edwards.  TO tore apart QB's much better than him, I can only imagine how their relationship will be, especially when Buffalo is plodding along at the bottom of the AFC East.

I think Trent Edwards is feeling pretty good.  The last QB that TO played for got a $67M contract primarily because of TO.  So with that kind of cash at stake, I think Edwards can put up with gay accusations, being told he sucks, or whatever else TO has in store for him. 

sandman
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 11:26:40 AM »

I think Trent Edwards is feeling pretty good.  The last QB that TO played for got a $67M contract primarily because of TO.  So with that kind of cash at stake, I think Edwards can put up with gay accusations, being told he sucks, or whatever else TO has in store for him. 

Trent Edwards initiated the whole pursuit of T.O. by the Bills. as soon as he was released, Edwards sent a text message to the GM to get T.O.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

As the only resident TO supporter, I am gonna defend this guy one last time and hopefully change some of your minds.

Philly aside, which in my opinion was DONOVAN MCNABB's fault.

I know that is hard for most of u to even entertain but it was.

McNabb's jealousy drove the initial wedge into that relationship. I'll never forget clear as day when TO got injured and McNabb said how they didn't need him to win.

U just don't say that about ANY teammate, let a lone someone like TO. So for me, McNabb started that feud.

Now, Fast Forward to Dallas.  The only thing about TO is, he is honest to a fault. Dallas being my favorite team, I pay very very close attention to everything.

TO absolutely does not care as long the team is winning. However, when he isn't involved in the offense and we go 9-7 and miss the playoffs, he bitches and rightfully so.

Romo does suck, so TO I think was polite when he spoke of his and Witten's relationship. U see great QB's when their WR is in man to man, they throw up the ball and let their receiver make the play. Romo didn't have the confidence to let TO make the plays.

Jason Garrett's offense SUCKS. So what is TO doing wrong criticizing Garrett? I mean he is 100 percent correct.

TO works hard, practices hard, plays the games hard.   If he is too honest off the field, who cares cause he normally is right about most stuff.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »

Oh no, it's never T.O.'s fault? Give me a break D!  rant

Time after time after time this guy's selfish attitude plays out to who he really is. From San Fransisco to Philadelphia to Dallas, this guy shows what an asshole he is. Everywhere he's been, he's found someone to call out and pick a fight with whether it's been a coach or another player. And it doesn't surprise me now that there's some irrelevant NFL team that's wants him on his roster. Just like your other T.O. fan buddy Axl4Prez2004 who give these guys chance after chance after chance and stick up for these selfish pricks. I just can't understand it. As long as it sells tickets I guess!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »

U didn't answer my question though

what has TO ever said or done though that wasn't true?

He unlike other players can't keep his mouth shut and that is his fault. But most of the stuff he bitches about is true.

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

U didn't answer my question though

what has TO ever said or done though that wasn't true?

He unlike other players can't keep his mouth shut and that is his fault. But most of the stuff he bitches about is true.

Being unprofessional sticks out a lot and that's a good enough reason not to be associated with guy. There are 52 other players on the roster that can control themselves even when they feel they're not getting the ball enough or not getting played as much as they should. Being a selfish egomaniac destroys team chemistry.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: