Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227798 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL Season/Off Season discussion  (Read 185879 times)
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #800 on: January 31, 2010, 01:15:50 AM »

One more thing...with Warner's retirement, is AZ really going to trust Leinart to take them to a Super Bowl?  Seriously??  If Boldin stays...Fitzgerald, Boldin, and Breaston would be some nice weapons for Donovan McNabb (who has a summer home in AZ).  That said, if Favre really called it quites, I would totally endorse (as a Vikes and McNabb fan) Donovan in purple and horns.  Of course, if that ever happened, you'd have to wait about a week or 2 for me to post as I will have creamed all over myself...I'd be passed out unconscious with a smile from ear to ear!   hihi

Well, you'll have to wait at least one more year. All this talk of McNabb going to Minnesota or AZ is just bullshit made up by the media because they need something to talk about. They've admitted it themselves. McNabb doesn't want to go anywhere, and he's made that clear. And I believe Andy Reid when he says McNabb will be the guy next season. The idea each year is to field the best team possible, the team that gives you the best chance of winning a superbowl. The Eagles have a lot of talent, and to go with Kolb would be a huge risk, and, imo, about 10 steps backwards. McNabb will be an Eagle at least one more season. If they fall short of anything but the Superbowl, I think the Eagles will probably let him walk.

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #801 on: January 31, 2010, 08:38:35 AM »

If they fall short of anything but the Superbowl, I think the Eagles will probably let him walk.

this is where your argument that he will be an eagle next year starts to break down. it would be a mistake to just let mcnabb walk.

if no team is willing to give them anything substantial for him in the next couple of months, then yes it makes sense to keep him.

but if the vikings or cardinals are willing to give you 2 #1 picks, now you have a decision to make. is one season of mcnabb worth more than 2 #1 picks? of course not. so IF a team is offering that now, the only way you turn that down is if you want to sign mcnabb to another long term deal.

i have no idea what teams would be willing to give up, and i have no idea if the eagles want to sign mcnabb long-term. 

the other HUGE variable is Kolb and what the eagles think his potential is.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #802 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »

Philly should dump Donovan and Westrbook

Get a 1st rounder for mcnabb

Kolb is gonna be a star.. did u see him when McNabb was injured? He had a 400 yard game and another awesome game

McNabb has proven to not be THE guy to get them over the hump.

Team is relatively young with Jackson,Maclin and McCoy. time to go to Kolb and build for the future.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gilee7
VIP

« Reply #803 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »

Well, McNabb may not have gotten the team OVER the hump, but he's the one who gets them TO the hump. Kolb is not going to be a star. He will never be a star. He had a good game against Kansas City. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. EVERYBODY has a good game against KC. He also threw 3 INTs in the game against the Saints. So, in just one game he threw for nearly a third of the INTs that McNabb threw ALL SEASON. Remember, people thought A.J. Feeley was a future "star" because he came in when McNabb broke his ankle and had success. So Miami traded for him, and he did absolutely shit. Kolb is a good backup. I think he could be a solid starter if he has weapons around him. But he's nowhere near as talented as McNabb.

McNabb is only 33. He's got a lot of years left in him. QB is one of the few positions where age doesn't mean deterioration. Often, QBs play some of the best football in the last few years of their career. McNabb had one of his best seasons last year. It may not show up in the stats, since he missed two games and lost a few TDs due to the Vick experiement, but as far as his leadership on the field and his decision-making, it was some of his best. People have always said McNabb can't lead his team down the field at the end of a game or come from behind, and he did that numerous times last year. His skill level hasn't dropped off any. And he can still run when he needs to.

Throughout McNabb's career in Philly, everything was on his shoulders. The only weapon he had was Westbrook, with the exception of the extremely brief tenue with T.O. Why finally get rid of the best quarterback you've EVER had, just when he finally has plenty of weapons to work with? The last two seasons, the Eagles' offense has broken all kinds of franchise records, so obviously they're not the problem. It's just, unfortunately, once the offense has become one of the very best in the league, the defense took a couple steps back.

With McNabb behind center next year, the Eagles are among the favorites to win the Superbowl. With Kolb, they're only the third-best team in the division. With Kolb, I doubt they even make the playoffs. You don't get rid of a guy who has gotten you to the playoffs nearly every year this decade, and who also took you to 5 NFC Championship
games and a Superbowl, just because some back-up came in had a good game against a terrible team. Again, whoop-dee-fucking-do.

It's good to have young, exciting playmakers. And you want a veteran who knows how to use them. Kolb doesn't, so then all that talent around him goes to waste while he's throwing INTs and turning over the ball. By the time he finally matures, DeSean and Maclin will have left town. And a guy like Kolb needs a running back to take pressure off him, which the Eagles don't have. Westbrook has reached the twilight of his career and McCoy is talented but not a 20+ carry guy.

Sandman, I don't think the Eagles SHOULD let him walk, I just said that because it's the feeling I get. I say ship Kolb's ass out of town while his stock is high, before people realize that, well, he's probably just another A.J. Feeley. Re-sign McNabb, let him finish his career as an Eagle.

Philadelphia fans are the most ungrateful fans in the league. I'm often ashamed to be a part of them. People in other states and cities LAUGH at Eagles' fans. I don't how many times I've heard from my friends, "Ya'll don't realize how good ya'll got it. Go ahead, we'll take McNabb, we'll take Reid." I'm not of the belief that losing in the NFC Championship game is the same as not even making the playoffs. With McNabb and Reid, the Eagles have a chance to win the Superbowl every year. Before those two guys came to town, the Eagles were at the bottom of the league. I'd much rather have a team that has a chance every year than a team where you get excited if you even win 5 or 6 games.

It's all about risk versus reward. Kolb is a humongous risk, whereas McNabb is the third-most winning QB in the league. He's the best QB in the NFL who hasn't yet won a ring. It's gonna happen. Just whistle along to "Patience." And I understand how you can say it makes sense for the Eagles to trade McNabb if they can get a 1st rounder, but, once again, it's all about risk vs. reward. A lot of draft picks don't work out; a lot of them are busts.

The Eagles tried to get "younger" last year by not re-signing Dawkins. The team was supposedly really high on Demps. Well, that didn't quite work out, did it? That defense missed Dawkins A LOT. If he had been there still, they probably would've won at least one or two more games. I know for certain he would've tackled Zach Miller's ass in the Raiders game when he lumbered down the field for a 90-yard TD. So the Eagles need to learn from the mistake they made there and keep McNabb as long as possible.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 12:29:05 AM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
sandman
Legend

« Reply #804 on: February 02, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »

Banner's comments when asked about McNabb were interesting to say the least....

"Here's the reality on that," Banner said. "It sounds evasive, but it isn't. . . . We really have not had the meeting to start figuring this stuff out. Obviously we have to do that. . . . Obviously we have to make a decision on what we're going to do. But at this moment, I can tell you that we haven't even laid out a plan or sat down and even exchanged our different ideas or thoughts on that."

so we can probably disregard Reid's weak endorsement of McNabb from a couple weeks ago. cause according to Banner, they haven't even started discussing it yet.

so at a minimum, this tells me that if the right offer comes along for anyone of their QBs, they may be willing to jump on it.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #805 on: February 02, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »

Well, McNabb may not have gotten the team OVER the hump, but he's the one who gets them TO the hump. Kolb is not going to be a star. He will never be a star. He had a good game against Kansas City. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. EVERYBODY has a good game against KC. He also threw 3 INTs in the game against the Saints. So, in just one game he threw for nearly a third of the INTs that McNabb threw ALL SEASON. Remember, people thought A.J. Feeley was a future "star" because he came in when McNabb broke his ankle and had success. So Miami traded for him, and he did absolutely shit. Kolb is a good backup. I think he could be a solid starter if he has weapons around him. But he's nowhere near as talented as McNabb.

McNabb is only 33. He's got a lot of years left in him. QB is one of the few positions where age doesn't mean deterioration. Often, QBs play some of the best football in the last few years of their career. McNabb had one of his best seasons last year. It may not show up in the stats, since he missed two games and lost a few TDs due to the Vick experiement, but as far as his leadership on the field and his decision-making, it was some of his best. People have always said McNabb can't lead his team down the field at the end of a game or come from behind, and he did that numerous times last year. His skill level hasn't dropped off any. And he can still run when he needs to.

Throughout McNabb's career in Philly, everything was on his shoulders. The only weapon he had was Westbrook, with the exception of the extremely brief tenue with T.O. Why finally get rid of the best quarterback you've EVER had, just when he finally has plenty of weapons to work with? The last two seasons, the Eagles' offense has broken all kinds of franchise records, so obviously they're not the problem. It's just, unfortunately, once the offense has become one of the very best in the league, the defense took a couple steps back.

With McNabb behind center next year, the Eagles are among the favorites to win the Superbowl. With Kolb, they're only the third-best team in the division. With Kolb, I doubt they even make the playoffs. You don't get rid of a guy who has gotten you to the playoffs nearly every year this decade, and who also took you to 5 NFC Championship
games and a Superbowl, just because some back-up came in had a good game against a terrible team. Again, whoop-dee-fucking-do.

It's good to have young, exciting playmakers. And you want a veteran who knows how to use them. Kolb doesn't, so then all that talent around him goes to waste while he's throwing INTs and turning over the ball. By the time he finally matures, DeSean and Maclin will have left town. And a guy like Kolb needs a running back to take pressure off him, which the Eagles don't have. Westbrook has reached the twilight of his career and McCoy is talented but not a 20+ carry guy.

Sandman, I don't think the Eagles SHOULD let him walk, I just said that because it's the feeling I get. I say ship Kolb's ass out of town while his stock is high, before people realize that, well, he's probably just another A.J. Feeley. Re-sign McNabb, let him finish his career as an Eagle.

Philadelphia fans are the most ungrateful fans in the league. I'm often ashamed to be a part of them. People in other states and cities LAUGH at Eagles' fans. I don't how many times I've heard from my friends, "Ya'll don't realize how good ya'll got it. Go ahead, we'll take McNabb, we'll take Reid." I'm not of the belief that losing in the NFC Championship game is the same as not even making the playoffs. With McNabb and Reid, the Eagles have a chance to win the Superbowl every year. Before those two guys came to town, the Eagles were at the bottom of the league. I'd much rather have a team that has a chance every year than a team where you get excited if you even win 5 or 6 games.

It's all about risk versus reward. Kolb is a humongous risk, whereas McNabb is the third-most winning QB in the league. He's the best QB in the NFL who hasn't yet won a ring. It's gonna happen. Just whistle along to "Patience." And I understand how you can say it makes sense for the Eagles to trade McNabb if they can get a 1st rounder, but, once again, it's all about risk vs. reward. A lot of draft picks don't work out; a lot of them are busts.

The Eagles tried to get "younger" last year by not re-signing Dawkins. The team was supposedly really high on Demps. Well, that didn't quite work out, did it? That defense missed Dawkins A LOT. If he had been there still, they probably would've won at least one or two more games. I know for certain he would've tackled Zach Miller's ass in the Raiders game when he lumbered down the field for a 90-yard TD. So the Eagles need to learn from the mistake they made there and keep McNabb as long as possible.

Exactly.  Nice post.  peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #806 on: February 02, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »

Yeah but what did McNabb do in the 2 most important games of the season? he was terrible and i know cause he was my fantasy QB and he cost me 150 bucks in my money week 17. I lost by 3pts... had he done anything i would've won easy

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #807 on: February 03, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »

Yeah but what did McNabb do in the 2 most important games of the season? he was terrible and i know cause he was my fantasy QB and he cost me 150 bucks in my money week 17. I lost by 3pts... had he done anything i would've won easy

Bu that's just it as usual D, Miss McNabb did not do anything.  hihi

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #808 on: February 06, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »

Damn, as a Vikings fan this Super Bowl will be painful to watch...I will be rooting for Indy to avenge our loss.
Freedom78's a hell of a guy too, so that's good enough reason alone to root for the Colts!   beer

btw, as a Vikes fan, first and foremost I want Favre back...if we can't have him back, I'd want McNabb (but Philly's keeping him...no way they're unloading him), and then Vick.  QB's would be crazy not to want to come to Minnesota and lead this awesome offense. (awesome of course without the fucking fumbles!   Embarrassed)

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #809 on: February 06, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »

Damn, as a Vikings fan this Super Bowl will be painful to watch...I will be rooting for Indy to avenge our loss.
Freedom78's a hell of a guy too, so that's good enough reason alone to root for the Colts!   beer

btw, as a Vikes fan, first and foremost I want Favre back...if we can't have him back, I'd want McNabb (but Philly's keeping him...no way they're unloading him), and then Vick.  QB's would be crazy not to want to come to Minnesota and lead this awesome offense. (awesome of course without the fucking fumbles!   Embarrassed)

Cheers, bro! 

beer

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #810 on: February 07, 2010, 10:40:54 PM »

The saints!!!!!!  ok

No man can be my equal
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #811 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »

Congrats to the Saints!

No perfect season, no super bowl.  Hopefully 2nd place is what Bill Polian was shooting for.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #812 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »

Good thing Colts rested stars LOL

Favre is def coming back now. Minnesota clearly were best team in the NFL.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #813 on: February 08, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »

The Super Bowl sucked mucus.

The Who were awful.
The commercials were horrid, save for Brett Favre and the crazy Dorito dude.
And the game was such a snooze.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #814 on: February 08, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was boring. Pretty sure I fell asleep for an hour, although my friends tell me otherwise.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #815 on: February 08, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »

Everyone is so politically correct and scared to fire up the other team.. so its just a snooze fest leading up to the game.

I love shit talking, i miss Shannon Sharpe.

gilee7
VIP

« Reply #816 on: February 09, 2010, 12:54:09 AM »

The Who were awful.

I'm not a big fan of the The Who, but they certainly weren't "awful." I thought they did a pretty good job. They sounded fine. And all the money that goes into the haltime show always makes it cool anyway. I've been hearing a lot of people bitch and moan about how everyone who performs at the halftime show nowadays is too old. What's-his-face on PTI was like, "Why not have someone who's hot right now? Like the Black Eyed Peas or Beyonce?" I thank God people like that aren't performing, or else I'd turn the channel. I didn't like it when people like No Doubt and Shania Twain were performing at the halftime show early in the decade. I think it should be an honor to perform there. It's the most-watched event all year long, a unofficial American holiday. I like that people like Prince and Tom Petty and people who have been around for a long time, some of our greatest artists of all time, have been the ones to perform during the last few years. I see it as kind of a hall of fame type thing.

The commercials have been bad for the past few years. There were a few that were alright. Most were lame. I didn't like any of the beer ones. I think, overall, Doritos had the best ones, my favorite being the kid who slapped the guy and was like, "Don't touch my mamma. And don't touch my Doritos."

The game itself was pretty good. We've been spoiled in recent years with some of the greatest Superbowls of all time. Last year's game was back and forth and had some amazing moments. The year before that we had Eli and the Giants pulling off the impossible. This Superbowl was good. I know the final score makes it look more lopsided, but it came down to the end. That's all you can ask. Going into it, I figured the Colts would blow out the Saints. I'm just thankful it was a game.

I still don't think the Saints are the better team. And they weren't better than the Vikes, either. But it doesn't matter. The Saints may play those teams ten times and only win once, but they won when it counted. I thought they were overrated all season, but maybe people are right: maybe this really was their destiny. It certainly feels that way. Seems like the ball bounced their way all season, including in the playoffs. So congrats to them.

Here Today . . .
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #817 on: February 10, 2010, 03:35:29 AM »

The Who were awful.

I'm not a big fan of the The Who, but they certainly weren't "awful." I thought they did a pretty good job. They sounded fine. And all the money that goes into the haltime show always makes it cool anyway. I've been hearing a lot of people bitch and moan about how everyone who performs at the halftime show nowadays is too old. What's-his-face on PTI was like, "Why not have someone who's hot right now? Like the Black Eyed Peas or Beyonce?" I thank God people like that aren't performing, or else I'd turn the channel. I didn't like it when people like No Doubt and Shania Twain were performing at the halftime show early in the decade. I think it should be an honor to perform there. It's the most-watched event all year long, a unofficial American holiday. I like that people like Prince and Tom Petty and people who have been around for a long time, some of our greatest artists of all time, have been the ones to perform during the last few years. I see it as kind of a hall of fame type thing.

Well, I AM a big fan of The Who.  Who's Next was the first rock n' roll album I listened to in its entirety, and their music has gotten me through so much.  I have enjoyed watching their shows during their glory years, and it would be hard for a lot of young bands today to match the energy and passion that The Who brought to the studio and to the stage.

With that said, their performance sounded bare, Daltrey sounded AWFUL (but he has sounded bad for the last decade or so), their was no energy being emitted from the band.

The visuals saved them from certain embarrassment.

This was a dick move by the organizers to try and get back pop acts for next year, book it.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #818 on: February 13, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »

"This was a dick move by the organizers to try and get back pop acts for next year, book it."

I hope not...because I want Axl performing on his 49th birthday in Dallas' stadium at the Super Bowl in 2011.   Cool

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #819 on: February 13, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »

I think next year's halftime should be a message board argument about the awesomeness of Donovan McNabb.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: